Going the distance

James / March 22nd, 2013

I’m about to spend the next week and a half filming one of the most complicated special effect scenes for the AVGN Movie. There’s been a thousand delays, but now we’re finally ready to shoot the scene. Today, I stood in the filming space, all alone by myself. I was just standing there, and couldn’t’ help but be reminded of the scene in Rocky, when Rocky goes to the spectrum, the night before the big fight, all alone in his thoughts. Anything can go wrong, but we’re going to give it the best we can. It’s been almost a year since we started filming (April 1st, 2012) and I never expected it to take this long. As my child’s due date comes near, the pressure’s been on to get these scenes in the can. To say the least, this has been a stressful time, but I’m comforted by the kind and generous fanbase I have, my friends, family, and my very patient wife.

There’s more videos on the way. We have a new “James and Mike Play” where we dust off one of my favorite games as a kid. And there’s a new Board James episode coming. It’s the most effort I spent on a single episode since Mr. Bucket. We filmed part of it back in the summer, when we filmed Shark Attack. I expected to have it ready by the Fall, but as usual, everything takes longer than expected. With Mr. Bucket, I spent an entire month doing nothing but working on that one video. For this new one, we spread the shooting dates out, because I was busy working on several things at the same time, mainly the AVGN movie. I’m happy with this Board James episode, I think it might be my best in a while. It’s proof that the more time you spend on something, the better it is.

Comments

• March 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Looking forward to seeing how everything listed here turns out.

• careful_auggey

March 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I’m sorry, did you say “child’s due date”? Congrats, Mr. Rolfe!!!!!

• Dean Humble

March 23, 2013 at 6:15 am

He announced that he was going to be a dad months ago in his AVGN trailer event video.

• ditka187

April 4, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I was there!! it was awesome!!!

• March 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Daddy Nerd? holy moly Congrats!!

• March 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm

“child’s due date” Are you talking about the movie or…

• rewf87650

March 22, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Earlier at one point ( I don’t know exactly when) he had announced that his wife and him are having a kid :)

• LJNGameDesigner

March 23, 2013 at 1:39 am

You must not have seen the AVGN Movie trailer debut video. Check it out, it’s great!

• Carson Shover

March 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm

He announced at the live trailer of the AVGN movie that his wife was pregnant with their first child.

• April 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm

“Child’s due date?” Well I mean the movie is a big deal but calling it your “child” is a bit much.

Wait a minute… “new Board James”… YOU’RE GOING TO BE A FATHER?!

aha classic Simpsons humor.

• tannerkish616

March 22, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Looks like you’re about to rock, man. So, I salute you.

Is the sequence an interior or exterior shoot? We talkin’ visual or special effects? Or both?

• JayRam

March 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

You’re definitely one busy dude. Best of luck getting that shot the way you want. Nothing like having to compromise. The audience may never know, but you will.

Lastly, keep on inspiring, man. Your passion for all things film is infectious.

• Kalablade

March 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Excited to hear about everything coming up, and though I can only imagine the stress that comes with the film on top of everything else, I can tell you from personal experience that being a dad is awesome!

Good luck with the next bout of shooting, tricky as it is, I’m sure you guys will pull it off and it will rock! Fingers crossed that everything works out for ya.

• March 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm

You never seize to amaze us, James.

• CardiacNutsack

March 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I still think Mike Matei should be in this movie, even if it’s just a strategically-placed title card. If only as a reward for his holding down the fort while James is filming.

• March 22, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Quality over quantity I say. Keep doing what you must, but don’t let it stress you. Stress can sometimes block creative ideas from coming forth, so try and keep that stress down to a minimum. Us fans have been here for nearly a decade, I don’t think we’re going anywhere, so don’t worry too much about us. We’ll be here through the quiet times just as much as we’ve been here through the busy ones. Stay focused and good luck with this shoot coming up, James. : )

• March 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm

You know, a lot of us aren’t necessarily interested in episodes that take a lot of work. If every episode is a big event, they aren’t appreciated as much. For every R.O.B. there should be a couple Hydlides or Dragon’s Lairs.

• Inspector Butters

March 22, 2013 at 9:42 pm

James, I’m working on a script of my own, and these stories you post about making the AVGN Movie are inspiring me to keep going. Good luck, and I hope to show you my movie one day too.

• March 22, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Good luck on the complicated shoot you’re in for. Remember the life of a film-maker, or any artist for that matter, is never an easy one, but the satisfaction of seeing a project through to the end is one of the greatest rewards possible. My dick is still hard for the movie

• culwin

March 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Awesome.

• The Ascended Saiyan

March 22, 2013 at 11:45 pm

James, have you thought of any names for the kid yet? Or do you not know what the gender is yet?

• LJNGameDesigner

March 23, 2013 at 1:41 am

I think he mentions in the Metallica podcast that the baby is a girl and is due in a couple of months.

• RichterBelmont

March 23, 2013 at 12:01 am

Congrats on the kiddo-to-be. I’ve been a dad for two years now and it’s the best. Thanks for working so hard for all of us fans.

Good luck on the huge scene. I’m sure it’s going to turn out great. You always find a way to deliver. And I don’t say that to pressure, but to reassure you that your talent and skills will win out.

• March 23, 2013 at 1:44 am

Whatever happens James, good luck to you. You definetly are very busy. Even with the delay, the movie and other projects I’m sure will turn out great. Like you said, the more time you spend on something, the better it is. Congrats on you and your family!

• March 23, 2013 at 2:09 am

excited for all the new stuff to come out! and good luck on that baby!

• neggie

March 23, 2013 at 3:01 am

look on the bright side once its done sales are in diaper money no prob. keep the work up and we will support. cmon holla if u hear me

• March 23, 2013 at 3:18 am

Good luck James I am sure you will do great!

• brandnewjenn

March 23, 2013 at 3:58 am

Good luck, James!!! I’m wishing the best for you and your wife as a little nerd comes into this world. I appreciate all your efforts in still trying to post videos even though the AVGN movie is such a huge project.

My mom suffered severe brain trauma last May, and it has been a hard time for me but not so rough when I get to laugh over your videos. So I want to extend a huge thank you to you for making the time to create videos which have really helped me cope with my situation.

Thank you, you’re the best!

• flukesy

March 23, 2013 at 4:23 am

Keep up the good work, I can’t wait for the movie!!!

• Topper Harley

March 23, 2013 at 6:04 am

Can’t wait to see the movie. I hope there will be a Blu-ray release. Need to get the AVGN DVD’s, too…but at the moment i have to save up some money.
    Keep it up James!

• Thomas

March 23, 2013 at 9:03 am

Good luck with it James and whats way much more important…Have fun while doing it!

• Thifurious

March 23, 2013 at 9:26 am

I just wanted to say that I’m very happy to see that you get a lot of comfort from your fanbase James, and really, everyone around you. Everybody knows you’ve got a lot on your plate, and we’re all cheering for you. With all of the support you have, and the great group of people you’ve got around you – behind the scenes or in front of the camera, there’s nothing to worry about. It’s easy for me to say that, but I think it’s true :) Every fan I know, including myself, will be a fan for life.

• vitekr

March 23, 2013 at 9:34 am

Rock on James. Seriously, rock the shit out of it brother!

• disrupture

March 23, 2013 at 10:45 am

I sincerely hope that Bad Luck Bootsy will make an appearance in this next Board James video, he’s what makes these videos so much funnier.

• LJNGameDesigner

March 24, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I second that sincere hope! BLB is objectively hilarious.

• LicaWolf

March 25, 2013 at 2:11 am

I love bootsy videos, but since he appeared in the last one, I hope the next one is something different. It’s better to spread them out and have some variety.

• danecookhater

March 23, 2013 at 10:51 am

Take your time James, hone everything to a fine edge, don’t just rush through things and forego quality. Congratulations to you and your wife on having a child, and I hope you have many more in the not too distant future.

• Hunter Wilde

March 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

That must have been so surreal! I guess you gotta embrace the big changes in life and see how it goes. I wish you and your family all the best! Cannot express how excited I am for the new episodes and the movie. I agree with you about taking time on projects and it’s kinda funny to see cause I remember you on the Making of AVGN trying to beat your record for the time it takes to make an episode. This is me attempting to make this short so good luck and thanks for the laughs. Oh and the scene will be fuckin’ awesome I’m sure.

• Joker83

March 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hey man, you are awesome. Good luck with everything, can’t wait to see how it turns out. And congrats on the baby, I know you’re probably crazy stressed, but dang your life sounds pretty great right now :-)
    I’ll be checking back daily for the new videos, thanks again

• Wien

March 23, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Man, you need to staff up or something. You’re doing a hell of a lot for a father to be, but you have a brand to maintain.

• March 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Not to be a downer here, but I am guessing after he has a kid, that will be the end of AVGN. I mean he barely has any time to do it NOW, how the hell is he going to have time to raise a child AND do all these videos? I just hope he doesn’t end up selling off his game collection

• Lukas Sprehn

March 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Please don’t say that. That was the feeling I got just from seeing the title. I don’t want to see this as the end, I seriously don’t. I don’t think it will be either… seriously, I don’t :) Listen to him, it’s not just the fans that actually keep it going! He’s said multiple times that it’s such an important part of him by now. So I don’t think he’ll see it disappearing either. I mean, if he stopped AVGN he might as well stop Board James and Mike and James Play, he’s working on so many projects at the same time, and it’s always been like that. It’s a tradition that he like to stay away from the Hollywood stuff and its restrictions too, so we may never see a Hollywood film by him, which I think is good. I think he’ll always be working on many things at the asme time…… well, honestly, I am sure that he’ll quit most of it at some point and do something else, as an old 49 year old AVGN wouldn’t be as funny to watch, but we’ll never know until then lol… I don’t know what to say, I guess I am just affraid that he’s going to leave the AVGN… :(

• Lukas Sprehn

March 23, 2013 at 5:28 pm

P.S. Actually, I don’t think this will be the end. I think he’ll do an AVGN Movie sequel at some point in the future. Seriously.

• 00bam

March 23, 2013 at 2:12 pm

good shit

• Marco Romero

March 23, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Think of it this way Mr. Rolfe. Instead of letting the bad stress get to you, convert it to “good” stress. You and Mrs. Rolfe’s baby is coming soon?; look forward to it as much as you can. Finally getting some more work done on the movie? Be glad you started so you can get it over with.

It’s good to think about the possibilities of things going awry but think about ways to prevent it. Keep up the work….good luck.

• March 23, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I can’t see the words “Going The Distance” without thinking about the song by Cake.

• elcalvo

March 23, 2013 at 5:15 pm

David Lynch’s Eraserhead took 6 years to make, so don’t worry…

• Lukas Sprehn

March 23, 2013 at 5:23 pm

So… with all these miniature special effects shots about to get shot so soon… I hope, no, I know, with all these tallented people working on it, namely Chris Hillman who I brought onto the project, that it will work out just fine, or even better than fine. Maybe even perfect! And under the direction of PA Robin Brockway and directors James Rolfe and Kevin Finn, I know it should be. It will be!

A note to James: Take your time. At least with the episodes. And get the Movie done, if it’s possible so that you can spend some time with your wife, and perhaps with the daughter if she has been born yet :)

Stay creative.

• Magnum66

March 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm

“We have a new James and Mike Play” This made me SOOO happy haha. Great to hear James. I hope you don’t get too stressed out and can pull through. You’re an extremely hard worker and genius when it comes to this stuff. Wishing the best for you.

• stoney_1

March 23, 2013 at 7:51 pm

May the force be with you dude!

• MoonieHimura

March 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Yay a baby nerd!!

• March 24, 2013 at 2:16 am

Everybody knows you will pull this scene off, your a pro. Give it your all. That’s cool that you got another Board James coming. stay cheery!

• March 24, 2013 at 3:02 am

you the man james. good look on filming!

• Sencilia

March 24, 2013 at 3:40 am

Congrats on Nerd JR. Hopefully he/she can shoot videos with you. And review shitty games when they get older.

• March 24, 2013 at 4:59 am

I wish you luck that the special effects scene will turn out the way you envision it to be. I’ll be looking forward to hear the next status of the film.

• Paul Sendell

March 24, 2013 at 9:29 am

Good luck man! My panties get wet just thinking about the movie :P

Also, here’s hoping the next Board James episode is as hilarious as CROSSFIRE!!! My personal favorite.

• March 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

Best of luck James. I hope the shoot goes well! I know how nerve-inducing producion can be… I made my own 20 minute drama last year and despite it being a totally self-funded microbudget project, the pressures of being there, on the day, with limited time and the potential for so many things to go wrong can certainly get to you. You’re so experienced with your filmmaking though, that I know whatever the shoot throws at you, you’ll handle it.

You’re a bit of an inspiration for me, I remember about five years ago, I was seventeen years old and I made my first short, a black and white film noir… I emailed you a link and you reviewed it for me. You said it was good. That was before I decided I wanted to move to London and persure a career in the film industry. Fast-forward to now i’m 22, working in the London visual effects industry, just finishing up work on my 20 minute scifi film project, and I am currently hard at work on some tough VFX shots for the AVGN movie.

So thanks for the inspiration! I’ll try my best to repay you by doing some great work on the film ;)

• skyrunner14

March 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Glad to hear things are working out for you! The movie will be totally awesome, I’m sure. If you are able to get it in some theater in Louisiana, I’d definitely go! At the very least I’ll be buying a DVD whenever it’s released on there. And no cursing in front of the lil’ nerd, OK? :p

In all seriousness, though, keep being awesome, James! :D

• March 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm

You are a great inspiration to us all. Can’t wait to see this great movie when it’s completed. I’m 100 percent sure it will be well worth the wait..

• taykel

March 24, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I am looking forward to the new Board James video.

• LicaWolf

March 25, 2013 at 2:06 am

I’m looking forward to see all the new videos that are coming up, specially the Board James episode.
    This must be stressing, but also exciting times for you, I’m sure. Good luck with everything, James!

• jopoloco011190

March 25, 2013 at 5:54 am

Hell yeah, angry videogame baby is coming!

• MetalHorrorNES

March 25, 2013 at 9:23 am

Best of luck James to both you and your wife! Fatherhood is an awesome feeling, I experienced it for the first time last July. The moment you see that child you will be hooked, it’s just an amazing indescribable feeling but you will see and understand soon. I can’t wait to introduce my daughter to retro gaming and I can use the AVGN dvds as examples of what NOT to play!! LOL!! Can’t wait to see the movie and more episodes in the future! Keep them coming!

• March 25, 2013 at 9:33 am

So in other words. When I watch the movie, I should be looking to see if The Nerd looks a little bit different once he gets back to his Nerd hometown? *troll face*

• videogamehunter820

March 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

Good luck, James.
    “the more time you spend on something, the better it is.” that’s true, but there are some exceptions…like Aliens: Colonial Marines! LOL

• March 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Much luck in everything you do! Babies take a lot of time, you enjoy that sweet little girl while she is small, it doesn’t last long. I know I will wait forever for the AVGN movie!!

• Michael White

March 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm

We got your back,James. Keep the faith, my friend

• Prizm

March 26, 2013 at 8:42 am

James, hope things go well with the shooting, and take a long break after the birth, you’re gonna need it with a newborn! :)

• March 26, 2013 at 9:52 am

Good luck filming James!

• chin doe

March 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm

4 episodes a year james,really?annoying orange and doug walker make episodes like 4 times a month.and ur newer episodes really suck,nothing like the older ones u used to do.u can whine all u want that ur “busy”working 40 hours a week,but if u cant produce people will go to sites that can.

• Jarnor23

March 26, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Hold on, I got this one guys…

*drop kicks Chin Doe, opens ass cheeks and craps all over Chin Doe’s face*

Ah, better.

• Cyberxion

April 6, 2013 at 1:42 am

What’s that you say Dicko the Fuck-wit Clown? You don’t pay anything to enjoy the fruits of James’ hard work? Well then, instead of making hollow threats like a petulant child with an out of control sense of entitlement, perhaps you should take a leap ass-first into a pool filled with razor-barbed dildos.

James does this all for his fans, and such a demanding prick as yourself can hardly be considered one. So please tell us all why he should give even half a squirt of lukewarm piss about whether you choose to stay or go?

• Cyberxion

April 6, 2013 at 1:43 am

Erm, of course that’s for Chin Doe. Gotta love how the comments nest. :P

• March 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Hey James, I just met Sid Haig, and I asked him some questions about Galaxy of Terror, You should check it out!!

• Boni

March 29, 2013 at 2:50 am

Can’t wait to see The Angry Videogame Baby in a few years.

• March 29, 2013 at 10:58 am

If the new Board James episode features Bad Luck Bootsie, then it will automatically be awesome.

• March 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

You go on, and you nail those last scenes. :)
    Good luck!! :)

• March 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I know it’s probably a long shot but will the nerd movie ever be put up on the site for free like all your other stuff?

• karel1

April 1, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Yes, it was the Best “Board James” to date! I will definitely be buying the movie when it comes out! Can’t wait for the nest AVGN instalment!

• deusprogrammer

April 2, 2013 at 10:54 pm

You will be a great father James. Don’t be afraid.

• greedo

April 2, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Congrats, James, this is an exciting time for you! Hope everything goes for you like you planned!

• Halendorox

April 3, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Congrats for your child! Looking forwrad to see the movie! :P

• April 4, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I’ve been waiting intently for the movie James! Try and relax a little bit; I know it’ll turn out to be a great watch. You certainly have the talent to make it! Loved the Dream Phone episode of Board James!

Don’t get overwhelmed man, you have fans that love you and your work. Have fun with it!

• April 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm

the board james dream phone episode was great. loved the writing and constant suspense/thriller style and all those innuendoes to other films. it would have been nice though to see yeti and boo involved in some of these videos that you make!

• Atomos1293

April 7, 2013 at 9:34 am

For some reason I was thinking the movie was already done…Oh well, I still really can’t wait to see it whenever it is completed. The world needs more Cinemassacre/James Rolfe!!!! \m/ Keep kicking ass. By the way, I loved the Dream Phone episode!

• voltronface

April 7, 2013 at 11:56 pm

super congrats on that nearing due date; expectant first time dad myself, so i understand the stress! we fans will still be here, so take your time to do things up to your awesome standards for the movie, and i love Board James so thanks!

• Rushkid2112

April 8, 2013 at 12:03 am

Can’t wait to see it James. Good luck with everything.

• Justin Tarlow

April 8, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hang in there James! You are doing a lot, and we all are saluting you, you got our support!

• April 12, 2013 at 9:09 am

Congratulation’s on you’re baby being born April 28th!

• April 13, 2013 at 1:17 am

5 dollars says he when the movie comes out he will also announce its the final AVGN episode

• Derek Nyberg

April 13, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I hope i get some help here, I donated 200 to the movie for the script and name in credits. However i did a bit of moving around since and now i’m in a different city. Does anyone know how i can make sure that the script reaches me and not my previous address where i know it will be lost forever? I already did a change of address but i want to make sure

• riversend

April 23, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Good luck James, so stoked for this. PLEASE GET YOUR CINEMASSACRE APP FOR IPHONE FIXED!!!

• April 27, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I doubt it Drew, it would be bad timing. I would guess that the vast majority of Rolfe fans are here only because of AVGN, and he would find himself starting over from scratch if he stopped the series before he converted those people to a new brand of cinemassacre content.

• shane77x

May 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm

James, let me tell you buddy, you talk about how you have a kind and generous fanbase. That is true, but I think that we need you more than you need us. As an Angry Video Game Nerd myself, I can think of no other celebrity that sits higher bud. Thanks for all your efforts and congrats on Nerd JR.

• Boo Daclown

May 9, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Congrats

• May 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm

woah your a husband
    congrats

• June 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm

He became a husband in 2006. You’re a bit late. The kid, though, that’s fairly new (around April 2013-ish).

• Fred Almeida