In-depth video interview on Tainted Reality

James / February 11th, 2013

This is one of the longest interviews I’ve done in a while, mainly about the AVGN Movie. It was conducted by Tainted Reality and was a live video stream. It’s basic and down-to-Earth. The questions were very thoughtful, so I ended up rambling for a while. Check it out here.

Comments

• February 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm

James i am planning on becoming a film maker but i have no idea how to exploit my films. Can you help me?

• February 15, 2013 at 3:35 pm

You should start by making as many youtube film shorts as you can so that you can get exposure and a following and fans that like your work. If you are successful at that then you should consider getting a website and upgrade your production values and editing. That is a start. Also, Try buying one of Lloyd Kaufman’s (Troma CEO) books or Robert Rodriguez’s book about filmmaking. I’m sure James and Mike would have similar advice.

• taykel

February 11, 2013 at 9:26 pm

My friend and I really had a great time with you on the stream. Anyway, thanks again for the early birthday shout out for me. I can’t stop watching that part. It makes me super happy.

• February 11, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Is anybody else having trouble with the audio? I’m getting a major echo.

• Kenshiroh

February 11, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Yeah, I am hearing the same thing. It’s unwatchable like this.

• February 11, 2013 at 11:33 pm

That was a really good hour and a half, James. I didn’t know you were having a girl. That must be terrifying for you knowing that when she’s a teenager you’re going to have to be the world’s biggest jerk to all her love interests if they happen to be male. Like all your fans I am looking forward to the day when this movie is finally finished and available. I know you don’t think there is really anything big to say, but even just a nugget of information–perhaps even just a snapshot–is like gold being given away to us fans. We’re truly nerding out over the AVGN film and wait anxiously for any news we can be given about the movie. I’m glad you’re enjoying your fame for now because I am sure it’s going to get massive very soon. Just don’t let it crush your spirit. Keep a level head and never forget who your real friends are. They will always be there when you need them most. And personally, if I was you, I’d take at least a year off after the movie is done so you can be with your daughter in her earliest stages of growing.

• February 12, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the kind comments and I’ll consider the possibility of throwing little nuggets of information as the year progresses.

• February 12, 2013 at 8:05 pm

No problem James. In a lot of ways you’re like the cooler big brother we all wish we had, so we naturally look out for your best interests. I think you might have goofed a little bit in the interview however. You said you got behind on playing games around the N64 era because you were in college. Did you mean high school? I only ask because I’m pretty sure you’re thirty-two, at least according to your wikipedia page and some of your videos have alluded to you being around your early thirties. Of course you could be one of those geniuses who graduated when they were still a young teen, so I could be out of line here. I just thought I’d ask to get some clarification.

• LicaWolf

February 12, 2013 at 2:19 am

Very interesting interview, it was nice learning a little bit more about the movie (without getting spoiled, of course). It’s a shame the Werewolf: the Last Warrior review is not going to happen though, I love the idea of a werewolf related AVGN episode (Werewolves are my favorite monsters :D ).

Also, congratulations on your baby girl. She’s going to have a really great dad :)

• candytooth

February 13, 2013 at 12:29 am

I hope you save the 2hour rough cut and maybe some day maybe 6 to 8 months after the movie is released you can sell on dvd for a special feature of the rough cut or just upload it.

• Wes

February 13, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Holy crap James I didn’t know your wife was pregnant! Congrats! My baby is due on my birthday July 2nd! When is yours due?

• Endless Mike

February 14, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I would love to see a big AVGN hollywood release, even if it was completely ridiculous! Samuel L. would be great, or what about John Malkovich, the sidekick is Jeremy Irons, Ben Kinsley reprises the badguy! And maybe a special appearance by Christopher Lee as Motherfucker Mike..
    But of course I’m glad it’s not that way, watched the trailer a few times and it looks awesome. I live in Germany, so seeing this on the big screen seems nearly impossible for me, but I will definitely buy the dvd (or with even more joy a bluray;)!
    Yeah and Link to the past, played it at the age of six or seven and was totally blown away by that game, one of my alltime favorites.

• yf2012

February 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm

The audio quality is ASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Was it recorded from the inside of a tin can or what ?!?! Does the interviewer actually expect people to sit through an hour and a half of that?! I’ve been listening to it for 5 minutes and I’m ready slam my head against the wall… what an abomination of an interview. My 1995 radio shack cassette recorder has better audio quality, not even joking!!! James please raise your standards for future interviews!

• February 21, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Are you kidding me? I had to check if my headphones are broken

• Ben_from_G-town

February 24, 2013 at 5:22 am

Bad audio, poor lighting, and being streamed from grandma’s bedroom notwithstanding, the interview content itself was pretty good. I liked hearing the insights and behind the scenes stories. Congratulations on becoming a father soon!

• Nemmex

March 1, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I love you, James. I was born in 1990 and through learning about shows obscure shows through you and watching them, I feel like I kind of had an 80s childhood through you, which I believe would’ve been the greatest decade to be a kid.