AVGN and Nostalgia Critic appear in Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited

James / February 5th, 2013

I’ve always wanted to visit Japan. Looks like my anime self beat me to it! Yesterday, news was flying around that I made a split-second cameo in a panning shot of Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited. This could have been a coincidence, had the Nostalgia Critic not been standing right next to me! Pretty cool. I have to confess, I didn’t know anything about the show before, but they seem to know us.

AVGN_anime

Comments

• LightningLuigi

February 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Oh geeze, that is incredible. I seriously can hardly believe what I’m seeing right now. Looks like you both have fans all over the place.

• David Williamson

February 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Haha. Took a minute, But you are definitely there. lol

• February 5, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Zettai Karen Children is awesome James, its like X-men with cute little girls.

• Lukas Sprehn

February 5, 2013 at 4:06 pm

MY MIND IS FUCKIN’ BLOWN TO PIECES! Wow… are you going to ask them to pay you for the rights LOL?

• February 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm

haha that would be kinda ****ed up if james asked them to pay him for a cameo.

• Lukas Sprehn

February 6, 2013 at 8:50 am

Well, it is kinda illegal unless James and Doug has approved this by then. I mean, any promotion is good promotion, yes? :D

• February 6, 2013 at 9:54 am

James would lose that lawsuit in a second. This scene would be covered under “Fair Use”. There is no basis at all for legal action in this case.

• TheProfessor

February 6, 2013 at 10:47 am

Exactly how is this covered under “fair use”? What clause specifically, because I can’t find it. I’m all for fair use, but even when something as simple as a movie poster appears in the background of a movie, it has to be paid for. Same case here.

• February 6, 2013 at 11:56 am

I’m not positive on the exact clause, but there are a few factors that would make it quite a difficult case to win. Firstly the scene was incredibly short and didn’t use a major aspect of the AVGN’s character. If they for instance, recreated AVGN’s opening scene, there would be more of a case. Secondly, the scene did nothing to hurt the AVGN’s reputation or ability to be successful…In short, the clip would be safe. It’s similar to how musicians may use lines from other songs without legal ramifications. If they steal an entire hook, that is a completely different story.

For the record, I am not a lawyer or a law student. I am just basing this off of research I have done and other cases I’ve seen. Regardless, this is a nice homage to James and I’m sure he would never be that petty.

• pinkman

February 9, 2013 at 8:41 am

Some people’s enthusiasm to sue s**t out of everything is quite amusing isn’t it? Just remember, you’re not in Kansas anymore. So unless you have whole MPAA’s task force behind you good luck with that lawsuit ;)

• February 5, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Epic!

• LicaWolf

February 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Ha ha! I saw this yesterday in tumblr, twitter, Doug’s facebook, everywhere.

I would have thought it was just a coincidence if it was just an AVGN look alike (white shirt, glasses…) but the fact that there’s a Critic look alike too totally seals the deal for me (I mean, suit jacket, glasses, goatee, cap and a loosely tied red tie, that’s NO coincidence) .

Congrats, James, it seems you and Doug have some fans at that Anime Studio :)

• Bohtwhap

February 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Not really an Anime person, but I so gotta watch this show or at least that episode.

• strider

February 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Awesome!, but james deserves be right on the front,and the nostalgia guy behind :D

• Slayer40k

February 5, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Glad you found out about this, I’d kill to even be involved with an Anime.

I’ve always been curous if either you or Mike watch or enjoy Anime. With both your love for cartoons and Japenese Film, I thought the two might have merged :P

• February 5, 2013 at 7:32 pm

If I was James and Doug I would ask for residuals, or at best to do the American voice over. : )

• M Q

February 5, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Yup. Word around the internet is that James has been famous in Japan for a while now.

• HomingMissiles

February 6, 2013 at 12:11 am

AVGN has had a japanese wikipedia page for quite a while now.

• February 6, 2013 at 12:49 am

Haha wow! That is pretty freakin cool!

• WiseYuri

February 6, 2013 at 2:18 am

this is something i would never expect to see, like never. XD quite awesome, never even heard of the anime itself though.
    guess you’re pretty well know there too. :D

• DavidARice

February 6, 2013 at 2:35 am

So happy for you and happy that the Nostalgia Critic is back.

• HomerS

February 6, 2013 at 4:58 am

I looked it up, the scene is from episode 5 (15:19 – 15:21)
    and the Nostalgia Critic says something like “Everything’s back”

• signormu

February 6, 2013 at 5:36 am

NC and AVGN actually have a small japanese following so this is not that weird. You can find japanese subtitled avgn on japanese video site niconico douga.

• February 6, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Here is a video.
    You can see them at about 1 min. in the video.

• likalaruku

February 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Never thought I’d see Doug or James standing next to Lupin III. Though in this image, you can only see his shoulder.

• NoisyPanther

February 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Can you imagine if there was an AVGN anime? That would be awesome.

• frostare

February 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I’m gonna be perfectly honest, I knew this would happen someday but it still took me by surprise! The reason I knew is you have a large fanbase over there; I’m surprised they didn’t throw in the phrase “Where did you learn to fly” as well since it’s known because of your Atari Jaguar review, heh. Congrats for this man

• callum sweeney

February 8, 2013 at 7:00 pm

AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL HAIL INTERNET-ER CAMEOES

• Firx

February 8, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Hey! This is just way too cool! You know you’ve made it when you appear as a flabbergasted anime extra in a scene of civic destruction/turmoil. You know that green-shirted guy has got to be somebody . . . maybe one of the animators?

If you watch a lot of anime, you’ll notice that the animators love inserting famous personages and funky one-offs into crowds. Just take a look at the first two seasons of Real Ghostbusters and the Japanese eps of Inspector Gadget (you know, the ones where everyone is always on model).

• February 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

This made my day when I saw that.

• The Afroman

February 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm

0_0

• Retro-Fan

February 10, 2013 at 10:00 pm

The Critic and Nerd seem to have traded pants.

• Ben_from_G-town

February 23, 2013 at 8:39 pm

That’s pretty awesome. I hadn’t heard of the show, but just the fact that they decided to put you in it, even for an instant, really speaks volumes about your fame and how you have fans everywhere. Very cool.

• Pete Phongsavath

March 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I’ve seen this before. When I watched this anime. It shocked me and this is awesome. Before the anime appearance, I believed the studio saw AVGN and Nostalgia Critic in Duel. Also the anime fan made the image of AVGN before Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited – Hyobu Kyosuke.

• Dylan Chattoe

May 6, 2014 at 11:55 am

You know, they should really make an anime based on the Nostalgia Critic and Angry Video Game Nerd.

• Lukas Sprehn

August 30, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Oh yeah, that would be amazing! Or just an animated show in general.

• Lukas Sprehn

August 30, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Or a whole movie. But really, what would be the point of it, except it being really cool?