AVGN MOVIE – Miniatures, Model makers wanted

James / January 9th, 2013

I know this isn’t the first time I asked of this, and it possibly might not be the last. Things have changed since we moved filming to the East Coast. We are looking for artists in the Philadelphia area to build miniature cities and models for an epic scene in the AVGN Movie that still has yet to be completed. Please send demo reels/websites, and your availability to help@AVGNmovie.com.

For anyone else wondering, we’ve made a ton of progress on the film. We have a two hour rough cut. Some scenes are what I’d call “rough cut” and others are just a basic assembly, not counting VFX work, and scenes that have yet to be shot. Every other weekend, I’ve been getting another one filmed. The filming has been moving slow, only because there’s a lot of prep work for these final scenes. Also, 2012 was the busiest year of my life. From the summer all the way through the holiday season. Now we go into the dead middle of winter which is my “get shit done” season!

-James

Comments

• mightypirate

January 9, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Fuck yeah James! Can’t wait to see the movie!

• January 9, 2013 at 4:49 pm

first!

• Belligeron

January 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Second! Why do you care anyway?

• Lodmot

January 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Sounds great James! ^^
    I wanted to ask you how the film was coming at Magfest, but I never really got the chance. Great to hear that things are going well. :3 Hope your new year is going well for you, the family and Cinemassacre.

January 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Shared James. If this is for the scene that I think it is for, this is going to be epic! But remember to get some good people with skills :D I hope it goes well. I know it will! Will it include anything CG too though? Or matte? (not including the miniatures, which is a kind of mattes when composited into a shot.)

- Lukas (VFX Coordinator on AVGN Movie)

• etrinh

January 9, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I can only think of one thing when I hear “miniature cities and models,” and I’m anticipating it. Sadly, I don’t know anyone in the Philadelphia area, but I’m hoping it all goes well!

• Doctor Tyrannosarus Rex

January 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm

For city-backdrops and helicopter shots, CG is the way to go. You can’t tell it apart from the real thing and is trivial to do. Every single movie that comes out now a days have CG cities, even ones with no other use of CG.

Of course, if you’re gonna rampage through the city in a rubber suit, that’s something different ;)

• Doogrisa

January 9, 2013 at 11:07 pm

James is old school.

• January 9, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Also, really good CG costs a lot of money. And there just isn’t enough money in the budget to get CG that looks just halfway decent. I think the miniature-city is the better way to go.

January 10, 2013 at 4:45 am

Well, that’s not always the case. Some CG artists are quicker, and at the same time more experienced than others, being able to produce really nice-looking stuff. Even some students these days, who tend to take free jobs a lot to gain more experience, or just cheaper gigs, are very good at what they do. Take Ian Hubert and Nathan Taylor as an example. Ian written, directed and did CGI for an upcoming independent sci-fi film called Project London. He did the same for a short film called Tears of Steel. And he’s pretty quick and good at what he does. Then hiring people, for cheap or not, it is also about charisma. And seriously, the charm of miniature models and all that stuff is awesome :D They look awesome, sound awesome when breaking, everything about them is just awesome. I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up using some CG though. Some shots are just not possible to get, whether due to financial problems or technical difficulties, and that’s where digital artists and compositors, 3D modelers and matte painters come into the picture :) We have James’ work covered. don’t worry! The film will be completed and it will kick ass!

- Lukas, (VFX Coordinator on AVGN Movie)

January 10, 2013 at 4:47 am

James, Mike, I recommended an artist to try and mail you, though he does not live in Philly. I’ve been a big fan of his work for a very long time. His name is Francis E. Paul and he owns a FX studio, much like the one you hired for the movie, called Lucas Francis Studio. Look out for his mail :D Look out for one by a guy named Jay May too :)

- Lukas (VFX Coordinator on AVGN Movie)

January 10, 2013 at 4:51 am

And a friend of mine, Keith Hecker. I think he mailed you as well. He’s a struggling artist, so he could use the job, I think. He can do jost about anything, I imagine. Maybe not anything, but he is very creative and his mind is like the mind of an actual engineer. He built a brilliant and comfortable camera stabilizer rig/fig rig in one out of PVC pipe, with mounts for shotgun microphones, camera etc.

- Lukas

• Tim Harrod

January 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Wish I was a model builder… you’re making me more excited for the movie! (But for God’s sake take all the time that’s necessary)

• January 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm

James, we love your work, and the trailer proved this is going to be an epic film. Take your time, make sure it’s done to YOUR standards of quality, and we’ll be there to see it when it’s all said and done. : )

January 10, 2013 at 4:49 am

Right my words! This is so true. Then collaborating, it can often cause trouble, in which two different minds think, well, differently. Creative differences is never something pleasant. Make sure it’s quality, your standard, and you’ll be happy in the end, and so will we when watching the film.

- Lukas (VFX Coordinator on AVGN Movie)

• Davoo

January 10, 2013 at 12:20 am

Wait… didn’t the movie already premiere? =?

January 10, 2013 at 4:39 am

Haha, of course not! We’re aiming for a Summer release, but we cannot promise anything. We hope to have it all done by then though.

- Lukas, VFX Coordinator

• January 11, 2013 at 3:12 am

That was the trailer.

• January 10, 2013 at 12:32 am

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up.

• Grizly

January 10, 2013 at 12:45 am

Best of Luck James! Get that shit done so i can buy a copy. That reminds me im past due for a copy of volume 6

• January 10, 2013 at 1:45 am

I don’t have a demo reel, but i’m a Philly native and an avid amateur prop/model builder. Gimme some rough specs on the scale you’re going for and I could whip up a sample for you. Email is silhouette spam box AT g mail dot com

• Doogrisa

January 10, 2013 at 3:58 am

You have to email James. He probably wont email you.

• laser

January 10, 2013 at 2:32 am

Sounds mindblowing! :D

January 10, 2013 at 7:19 am

http://www.yellowpages.com/philadelphia-pa/model-makers look what I found James. You may find that this is helpful. Try Craiglist.com or a classified ad in a newspaper or something. Maybe a local newspaper or one that is a bit broader.

- Lukas

January 10, 2013 at 7:23 am

I read about a model maker in Philadelphia on The Wall Street Journal, who now runs his own company there who specialize in exactly this kind of thing. Maybe you want to reach out to him or something. His name is Lev Brodsky and the company is called Gamla Originals, Inc.

- Lukas

January 10, 2013 at 7:27 am

Their address appears to be,
      Address: 14230 Bustleton Ave #1 Philadelphia, PA 19116 And their phone number (215)676-6926. I hope they see your blog post haha,

- Lukas

January 10, 2013 at 7:30 am

And their website is lifeinscale.net If you look under the Props for TV and movies section, you will find that they also do vehicles. It all look gorgeous.

• January 10, 2013 at 10:57 pm

UNRELATED TO THIS TOPIC:

What’s your take on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHDJm1D2ELw , New Evil Dead movie trailer, apparently 0 CG was used.

• Katharsys

January 11, 2013 at 12:36 am

Can’t wait to see the finished product, James!

• Billbarman

January 11, 2013 at 2:16 am

james, I would love to help you biut im sp god dman drunk i cant type and the parents found out so i’m fucked. i dont know whas i’m doing, so good fucking luck with your movue! i look forward to it so much, and i hope you find a model maker worth y of the job

• January 11, 2013 at 3:11 am

My “get shit done season”. I like that haha.

January 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm

James, you should also try to contact Gregory Kochan, a special effects artist, set designer etc., whose services seem to include, but is not limited to, miniatures, scale models, props, scenery, specialty costumes etc. He lives in Philidelphia at 2842 Cambridge St, and his phone no. is (310) 895-0108. Found him on a quick Google search.

I’d love to see Stephen Begg (Tim Burton’s Batman, Batman Begins, Skyfall etc.) work on this movie, haha, but that’s probably not going to happen. I am pretty sure he worked on the awesome scale model buildings in the Gotham City scenes in Burton’s Batman from the 1989.

- Lukas (VFX Coordinator on AVGN Movie)

January 11, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I’ve shared this blog post on several model making forums and one special effects forum. Let’s see what comes out of that.

- Lukas

January 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm

James, I think you should try and do a video about this. Sort of like a Nerd Log video, but post it on YouTube, and Blip as well, so that you can attract more people :)

Also, I noticed that the old Production Design Nerd Log video is gone. Any particular reason? I may have an idea about why it has been done, but I won’t speak loud about it or give out any names. But, I’d like to rewatch it if it’s possible.

Stay creative,
    - Lukas

• Critic From The Future

January 11, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Bet the scene’ll be epic, can’t wait to see AVGN fuck up an entire city.

• Alex G

January 11, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Hey James! I am honestly really proud of you. You can look back on 2012 as a year that you have accomplished so much and the beginning of a new journey!
    -Long Time Fan – First Time Commenter

• January 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

(I sent an email but hoping it doesn’t look like spam with an email address of c40179@aol.com)

I’ve been struggling in the Philadelphia area while working 7 days a week on average doing every project I can scrounge and now actually have a surprising portfolio..even though the main website is a little light (geeZ look at everybody elses Flash pages gee wiz)

I got webpages at..

and the obligatory facebook page..

Basically what I tell people is that i’m usually doing large-scale model making the same as what I did on a small scale when I was young.

I have to diG for the pics of smaller models etc. because most of that experience is from when I was making model railroads with miniature skyscrapers (and scratchbuilt invented model spaceships for my bad 8mm films)with 100′s of hand-cut parts as well as vehicles etc.
    (come to think of it I had a pic of one of the ships in Cinemagic Magazine)

Do you want it to be Philadelphia or other or a random city??

• January 13, 2013 at 1:12 am

3rd time trying to post (html for links?)

I’ve been struggling in Philadelphia for years creating whatever I can for people and finally have a pretty decent portfolio at..
    ChristopherHillman’s Website
    or..
    My Photobucket Page
    ChristopherHillman at Youtube

Or anybody who wants to can friend me on Facebook to see my most recent work at..
    The Obligatory Facebook Page

There’s not alot of smaller work on the pages but doing miniatures for years was how I started out when I was younger (scratchbuilding the huge model-railroad with handmade skyscrapers AND making giant spaceship models from 100′s of collected parts for my bad 8mm films) ..I even got a spaceship in Cinemagic Magazine..kind of falling apart now.

(I sent an email too but am always worried it’d end up in the spam filter because the user name is c40179 at aol dot c o m)

Chris
    (215) 900-3527 (need to leave message)

• SuperSmashMike

January 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Better hope you get this shit done, Mr. Nerd…Not for sake of your fans or critics who attack you based on how you “e-beg” and want to watch the movie just to see how bad it is, but so you can go home and raise that little Nerd/Nerdette (and I hope to God your kids don’t learn how to swear so early on from day one) but naturally they’re gonna find the AVGN videos you’ve done.

• Mr6507

January 14, 2013 at 12:06 am

James, if you’re ever up north, (Pocono area), and need some help with anything, I can help in an instant!

• g c

January 15, 2013 at 5:26 am

this movie looks FUCKING AWESOME

• Cory Moore

January 15, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Take your time, James. We all have faith and are excited as fuck to see the movie! Thanks for everything!

• January 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I’ve been struggling in the Philadelphia area while working 7 days a week on average doing every project I can scrounge and now actually have a surprising portfolio..even though the main website is a little light (geeZ look at everybody elses Flash pages : )

I got webpages at..

and the obligatory facebook page..

I have to diG for the pics of smaller models etc. because most of that experience is from when I was scratchbuilding when I was young building model spaceships and sets for my bad 8mm films) with 100′s of hand-cut parts as well as vehicles etc.
    (come to think of it I had a pic of one of the ships in Cinemagic Magazine)

Do you want it to be Philadelphia or other or a random city??

• January 17, 2013 at 12:06 am

First reply on this site. Nice work James and Mike

• January 17, 2013 at 2:49 pm

That has nothing to do with miniatures but even if I’m in France I’m really interested to help you for VFX (After Effects) if you need something. I suppose you can drop me an e-mail with my user account if needed. Do not hesitate I would be more than happy to help ;-)

• February 13, 2013 at 7:01 am