Mrs Nerd talks about Halloween at the Rolfe’s

James / October 22nd, 2012

For us, Halloween is the best time of the year. As soon as there is a slight crisp in the air and the leaves start to fall we start thinking about Halloween and planning our celebrations. October is already an insanely busy month for us with Monster Madness and all, but we always manage to find some time to thoroughly honor our high holiday. Some years we spread the events out over a few weekends and other years we cram it all into a few days, but we always try to fit in all the spooky fun we can.

Usually the first thing we do, to wet our appetites for the season, is visit a local haunted attraction. The one that seems to keep us coming back year after year is Bates Motel (www.batesmotel.com) in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania. There are a lot of similar attractions in the greater Philadelphia area and we’ve been to just about all of them, but this one of our favorites. Another one of our favorites is the “Chamber of Horrors” at the Madame Tussauds in London, England. If you ever find yourself in the position to go there you have to do it. It’s awesome! Either way, I strongly encourage you to look into your local haunted attraction and get your scare on this season.

The next most important part of the season is decorations. It’s comical how much Halloween stuff we have stored away in our attic. That certainly doesn’t stop us from hitting up the seasonal Halloween stores and adding to the collection though. During this time of year our “date nights” quickly go from dinner & movie… to dinner & Halloween store hopping. Our decorations change year to year and vary in how elaborate they get, but some staple items include our owls (Fred, and Baby Ned) and some skeletons. He uses dramatic lighting and fog so it looks really cool.

The most important decoration though is the Jack-o-lantern. There is just nothing better than a flickering Jack-o-lantern to set the Halloween mood. The last few years we’ve been having a pumpkin carving contest with friends. Our social circle is composed of art school survivors like us so we have fun breaking out the sculpture tools and hacking up a few pumpkins.

Pumpkin carving tips:
1. Even though it’s nasty, you have to dig out ALL the guts. Really get in there. The pumpkin will last longer.
2. Cut off the bottom of the pumpkin instead of the top. That way you can use the stem as part of the design and its cleaner and easier to light the candle.
3. Slather the cut edges with a light layer of petroleum jelly. It helps the pumpkin last longer.
4. Make a template for your design. Simple can be better sometimes. This will help make sure you don’t have any “floating objects”.
5. Use a sawing motion instead of stabbing, you’ll have a cleaner line. A serrated blade works better.

Next up, what’s Halloween without the costumes? I’m proud to admit that I’m a grown woman who dresses up every Halloween. I honestly cannot remember a single Halloween in my whole life in which I did not dress up in a costume. Some year’s James and I do coordinated costumes and some years we don’t. Some year’s they are really elaborate and some year’s we just sort through old stuff and come up with something last minute. The trick is to be creative, reflect your personality and just have fun with it.

Our costumes by year:
2011 – James was Hunter S. Thompson and I was a bat.
2010 – James was Rob Zombie and I was a Day of the Dead skeleton
2009 – Rocky and Adrian
2008 – James was Indiana Jones and I was a pirate.
2007 – Batman and Cat Woman

I can’t remember any further back than that although we have been having parties and dressing up since we met in 2004.

Speaking of, the best part of Halloween, the party! Together James and I are a dynamite team of party throwers. James’ focus is on ambiance and entertainment. He uses his film making tricks to create some cool spooky lighting throughout the house. He makes the best playlists and video loops to play on the TV’s also. And of course the movies! Weather permitting, James will set up an outdoor screening of one of his 16mm films like “Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein”. I, on the other hand, am on food and drink detail. You already know my affinity for cooking and baking and for Halloween I go all out.

Some of my best menu items:
Main Course:
Hot Dog Mummies – Hot dogs wrapped in strips of pastry dough that bake up to resemble mummies. Peppercorns or dots of ketchup can be used for eyes.
Rats in Blood – Turkey meatballs shaped to look like rats with pretzel rods for tails and peppercorns for eyes with marinara sauce for blood.
Bat Wings – Buffalo chicken wings (can use soy sauce to tint sauce more black).
Dessert:
Gravestone Brownies – brownies cut into gravestone shapes with royal icing R.I.P.
Brittle Bones – vanilla bean meringue cookies shaped like bones
Baked Skulls – apples carved to look liked skulls, hallowed out and baked with goodies inside (chocolate, caramel, nuts, etc.)
Drinks:
Alien Urine Samples – Equal parts Melon liquor, Coconut Rum and Pineapple Juice served in test tubes.
Poison Apple Cider – Mulled Apple Cider spiked with Apple Brandy or Apple Gin.

So I hope I was able to give you a little glimpse into how we celebrate our favorite time of year and I wish you all a Haunted Halloween!

-Mrs Nerd

Comments

• Chendzeea

October 22, 2012 at 7:08 am

Waaauuugh the lil mummy munchies are adorable!!!! Love the alien pumpkin too. Sadly everyone around here has no imagination and just looks at me weird.

• October 22, 2012 at 7:47 am

The treats are awesome! SO much work though, but my kids would love it. Ironically we just had our annual pumpkin carving yesterday, I like the carving kits you can get at wal-mart, they’re much easier for the little kids (we have four, our youngest, Willow(four), is just dying to meet her “diarrhea”, as she calls James) as they have stencils that help you make a very cool carving with less effort.

I liked your Adrian lol! Funny how just the right simple clothes can work, it took me right back to scenes in the movie.

Have an awesome Halloween!!

• 19Szabolcs91

October 22, 2012 at 7:58 am

Love you as Rocky and Adrian, so cute! (also, one of my favorite love stories in any movie)

• October 22, 2012 at 9:23 am

Ha great pumpkin work and some brilliant ideas for food. Couple questions: does Mike do pumpkin carving for you guys at all or not ever? since he is James’s go-to art guy I’d love to see his work or a vid of him speed-carving an AVGN punkin design. :) or really, any design he would enjoy doing.

Also, in all the party flair I didn’t hear any word of the Halloween party having party games or setting up some scary video games. I could see folk playing house of the dead (or better, typing of the dead as a drinking game.. hehehe). Or that old board game that requires a vcr, “Nightmare”. man.. James should do that on a Board James if he ever finds a copy… would be great for the season.. hehehe…

Anyhow, great write up and thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I may just try those mummy weinies for a snack. is it just like, the pilsbury croissant dough or something else?

• Erwinator

October 22, 2012 at 9:53 am

I hate the fact that we don’t celebrate halloween in the Netherlands. I think I’ll love it.

Ok , we have Carnaval , but I think it isn’t that much fun.
    It’s more a drinking beer event.

Maybe I’ll try to make an Elvis Costello(Elvis and Lou Costello in 1)-costume with Carnaval , because I love that idea.

• Pablo1989

October 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

:D Ive Rymenber in 2006 i dressed as Count Dracula when my grilfriend as Mummy reponse…

AH Count Dracula wanna taste my blood huh ?
    and i said
    No thanks i am on diet i prefer your tasty red Strawberry Tea instead

• stoney_1

October 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

That is awesome!! I’m getting my wife to make those hot dog mummy things, that’s probably the funnest food I’ve ever seen!! Happy Halloween!!!

• Slayer40k

October 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Wow you two do such amazing and interesting stuff at Halloween together. Also is that Mike in the background of your Skeleton and Rob zombie pic as Elvis?

• TehJedicake

October 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm

These are always so awesome to read.

• Keydsimon

October 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I really like the jack-o-lantern with a cat carved on it ! To me, it looks like it belongs in a Tim Burton movie.

I wish you the biggest spooks ever for this halloween !

• October 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm

That’s so cool that you go all out for Halloween! Around December, you should give us a glimpse of what goes on around Christmas at the the Rolfes’. By the way, those mummies look delicious! Thank you for this. :)

• October 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Happy haunted Halloween! haha!

• wtfisyoda6913

October 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Nice Jack-o-lanterns its cool that you guys celebrate together.

• October 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Great Stuff! Thanks for the Pumpkin Tips,…I didn’t know these thangs. Also,…it’s good to know some people actually enjoy Halloween as much as me!!!! XD

• jdshald

October 22, 2012 at 3:52 pm

awesome

• Valis77

October 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

dat cat pumkin

• Gorey O' Rotten

October 22, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I must say, it would be amazing if you went as Zelda and Link :D Just the thought of seeing James in green tights makes me laugh! Ha!

• PhantomExdeath

October 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Spot on Stallone face that James did there. Mmm Alien Urine….

• judgen

October 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I want to eat the scary mini Osama Bin Laden hawtdawgs.

• CharlieBrownGhostAss

October 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Will James keep his word to his fellow fans and dress up as the “Shit Covered Mummy” he mentioned in the “Turkish Star Wars” review with Mike?

• October 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

GodDAAAAAMN dude Nerds Wife is SO Nerd-HOT!

• Bobby1001

October 22, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Awesome post as always! I love the pictures too!

• prequarius

October 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Pigs in a blanket, then adding a shaved nut on a tip (shaved almonds work best) = mummified toes

We also do some other things as well, but I can’t think of any right now. The spread is kind of intense amounting to large quantities of food, and sadly a lot of left overs.

My mom made kitty litter cake one year and no one wanted to try it. It looked that weird, it tasted great though! Google it and see the results.

• alexmustang692012

October 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm

i wish i lived with you guys

• BlazeHeatnix

October 23, 2012 at 12:44 am

Mrs. Nerd,

My mom says your treats are awesome. She wants recipes now! :D

• FrankDoomriderJohansen

October 23, 2012 at 7:29 am

I’m not a Halloween fan, mostly because I hate to dress up and wear costumes. I never wear a suit. But I hope everyone is having fun, because when ppl are havin fun I get a smile on my face :D The carvings look AWESOME!

• PresidentJenkins

October 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

Wow, sounds like you guys have a blast doing all this, or at least seeing the fruition of hard work come to life. Wish I knew people who were into Halloween as much as you guys. Hell, I’d take a quarter, a simple movie horrorthon would suffice. Sadly, nobody bites.

• October 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm

yeah you to and even james hi :)

• Zen

October 23, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Terror Behind the Walls at Eastern State has always been a favorite of mine, followed by a dinner at Jakes Firehouse across the street. Checking out Pennhurst this year, might try Bates Hotel if its that good.

• Kiarachu

October 23, 2012 at 4:39 pm

OMG…it seems that you are having fun with this…and the recipes looks very nummy *ç*
    Here in Italy Halloween is not so celebrated (at least at home, more into some place like bars or restaurants…), and I envy you…

Anyway, have a good fun, you and James ^_^

• pcgamer176

October 23, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Wow, seems like some have the same problem I have. I really like halloween, but no one else around me does, so I dont end up doing a lot for halloween, its a shame, but it still makes it all the more fun to celebrate the whole month of October with James on Mooooonster maaadnessss!!! Ever since I started watching MM I’ve been introduced to so many good horror films that arent just the mainstream. Thank you James for the hours of entertainment you provide your loyal fans, cant wait to see the AVGN Movie trailer!

I hope everyone here at Cinemassacre a fun fucking halloween!!!

• Roy Jeton

October 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Who’s Fred and baby Ned? Do you have children? If so, great; I didn’t know that.

• Anthony33

October 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm

You guys look like a cute couple and sound like a fun and creative couple. I’d love to go to a Halloween party at your house some year lol. Sounds like fun. I also really enjoy your writing. I hope you get to appear in a future video with James, maybe as Mrs. Video Game Nerd.

• cardgage

October 24, 2012 at 1:12 am

Awesome! I may steal some of your Halloween ambiance/food ideas. Also, thanks for Monster Madness (as well as everything else), it has become a holiday tradition with my wife and I, and we have had a blast watching and learning of new movies to add to our holiday queue. Might I suggest an MM of Halloween TV specials (i.e. Stevil). Oh! also, thanks to Mike as well he is equally awesome.

• TheDevilmayfart

October 24, 2012 at 1:43 am

Damn, I wish I knew people who are so into Halloween like you guys. Anyway, I hope you two have a great time, Mike, and anyone reading this!! :D

• October 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thanks for the fantastic read Mrs. Nerd! You inspired me to get out and make my own Jack-O-Lantern for the season, first time in 17 years! I used your tips this time (cutting off the bottom – BRILLIANT!) and using the p.jelly, it’s a happier Halloween here! Thank you again Mrs. Nerd!

• jackieblue420

October 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Wow! That’s the kind of Halloween I like! I’ve never thrown a party myself, but I’ve helped my friends organize one and I’ve made food for them as well. Caramel apples and pumpkin-shaped cupcakes I’ve made, but your ideas sound totally boss. I could learn from you on that! You guys are all awesome and I look forward to your posts and videos all the time. Keep rockin’ them all! =)

• GameGenie710

October 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm

This looks like an absolute blast, glad you both have such a great time doing this :) You’ve inspired me, I’m going to try to be “that house” during halloween; the one that always has the coolest decorations and gives out the kind-sized candy bars instead of those shitty not fun fun-sized candies.

• November 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Hey Mrs Nerd, do you have some Polish ancestry? I’m asking because of your family name, Chmura. It’s the Polish name and it means cloud in english.

• January 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm

James went as Hunter S. Thompson too?! I thought I was the only one!

• Ben_from_G-town

February 15, 2013 at 8:08 am

That’s some very interesting things! I get quite involved with the decorations and I still dress up sometimes, too! We have a great local attraction called Pioneer Farms that does an awesome Halloween event!

• James Yates

August 26, 2013 at 4:21 pm

We have a few events here in Louisville, KY. I’m looking forward to it this year!

• November 13, 2013 at 4:30 am

I was actually surprised when I read this, because here in Sweden we barely celebrate Halloween at all. All I did this year was just buying some cheep candy and than played Team Fortress 2 for the rest of the evening.

• May 2, 2014 at 10:56 am

I which I could celebrate Halloween the way you do. I live in Sweden, and my neighbourhood barely celebrate Halloween at all. In fact, some years I’m like “Ah, of course. It’s Halloween.” I used to be very exited about Halloween when I was younger, but then I slowly began to realise that nobody ( besides some of my friends and my sister ) really cared about it. Sure, my parents bought some candy and perhaps we saw a movie together, but that was pretty much it. I’ve only trick or treated ( I think ) 3 times, and only once did we actually get some candy. One of my friends had a LAN- party on Halloween, and after a while we took a brake and went trick or treating. We didn’t have much to chose from, so all I wore was a wig and a fake nose which made me look kinda like Robbie from Victorious. After about 2 hours we ended up getting 3 kilos of candy and 6 clementines. Besides that year, no luck at all.

• Chris Colella

August 20, 2014 at 12:11 am

That was cool to read lol. Halloween has always been my fav Holiday. Such good memories. And more to come. Thanks Mrs Nerd!