My summer updates

James / August 14th, 2012

What’s been going on with me? Well, I’ve been really busy this summer. I’ve been happy to be home again and have enjoyed making more videos for the site, I really missed the instant satisfaction I get from making them, but soon I need to put my full efforts into the AVGN movie to get it finished. I plan to work more intensely on it this Fall. I needed the summer to recoup.

The biggest question I get all the time is “When’s the movie coming out?” Thanks a lot for your interest. I appreciate it. It’s too early to figure out a release date yet. About 80% of it is shot. (Something like that, it’s not an accurate percentage, just an estimate). Basically there’s quite a bit left to shoot. Fortunately, all the most difficult stuff is out of the way and the rest can be filmed locally. There’s some sets we have to build, but other than that, it’s nothing too daunting. We have some editors who are working on a rough cut of the footage that’s already been shot. I’ll be making the final edit.

The most immediate goal is to get a trailer ready, so you can actually see for yourself what we shot. Even though there’s still quite a bit left to shoot, there’s enough footage for the trailer and there can always be a second one later. I need to focus on cutting the trailer in the near future, and get some VFX work done on it and music composed. It’ll all come together, but just needs time. So it’s a long way before I have any idea when the final product will be done. I plan on getting the trailer ready this Fall. If I do Monster Madness again, it’ll take a bit more time.

Production has been slow this summer. I’ve been fixing a lot of technical problems with my computer. My hard drives have been failing me too. Everything’s backed up, but it’s just been a lot of work getting everything organized again. I’ve gone to a lot of conventions this summer to meet the fans. I’ve slowly meeting friends and family who I have not seen in a long time. (Kyle, you’re next, buddy! It’s been 2 years.) All my projects have taken a toll on my personal life, so I’ve been getting everything back together. The short story is it’s been a really busy summer. I plan to be more productive in the Fall.

Comments

• zUkUu

August 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm

a “teaser” would be even better then a “trailer”.

• Joker83

August 14, 2012 at 1:16 pm

its all good man, take your time and relax. don’t burn yourself out. Monster Madness would be great, as it always adds greatly to my Halloween Season. don’t worry too much about a trailer, I think a lot of us nerds hate trailers anyway. Personally I’d just rather see the movie cold.
    You’re awesome james, and the site is great!

• Master2873

August 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I don’t get why so many people hate trailers…. Do what ever you want with it, fuck what anyone else thinks.

@zUkUu: “please do a GOOD trailer. meaning that you don’t show half the movie and funny scenes already.

a “teaser” would be even better then a “trailer”.”

It is physically impossible to “show half the movie and funny scenes” in a 1:30 – 3:00 trailer… Not to mention the movie James is doing is a comedy! So about the entire film is supposed to be funny and, more than likely the film is going to be over an hour long. Also, a trailer is a teaser in my opinion because, there is no trailer in the world that shows you the entire plot as most people think… There is not one trailer I’ve ever seen that shows the twist in the plot that most movies have or, the ending for that matter. You cannot base the entire film off the trailer. Which also brings up another good point… If you dislike trailers for these “Reasons” or, you just don’t like them period, THEN WHY WATCH THEM!?!? Just pointing that out.

• Milk

August 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Good luck, James! It’s gonna be awesome, we can wait. And I for one would very much love to have Monster Madness this year as well. It makes the whole month of October so much better!

• August 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Sounds like a plan man. Really hope you can make monster madness happen this year. Been watching every year and I just got my girlfriend into it so we’re looking forward to watching this one together. Good luck bro.

• David Sonne

August 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I know this is off topic but, Sylvester Stallones son is found dead. Shroll abit down you will see it (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000216/news#ni34115572
    :( *snif*

• August 14, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you’ve been able to kick back and relax a bit after all of that work. If you do Monster Madness again, I’m really curious where you would go with it. Good luck with everything, and take care!

• JasonVoorhees

August 14, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I really hope you do another Monster Madness. I wait for them every year!

• Han_Bammer

August 14, 2012 at 3:20 pm

You should definitely check out Alamo Drafthouse theaters. The founder and CEO has a great passion for movies and has helped movies get played.

• gamer025

August 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Hey James,

I’m eager to see the movie, but not impatient. Take your time, even if it takes another year to be ready, big deal. At the same time, don’t dwell on it (editing) too long, as you will second-guess yourself (wise words from Trey Parker.)

Also, please do release a teaser before a trailer, and please listen to zUkUu – don’t reveal all the good and funny parts, leave us guessing and wanting more!

• Mark Shinoda

August 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Cool

• Hallwings

August 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm

By “Kyle”, you’re referring to Kyle Justin, right?

• Mark Shinoda

August 14, 2012 at 4:06 pm

It’s a great thing that you’d met Kyle Justin. I’m pretty sure that many people here, as me, always wonder where Kyle’s been, since the last time we saw him, if I remember correctly, was from the Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle episode from 2009. I know that it’s certainly he’s not dead yet, not as we thought in the Schwazanegger episode. Lol, just kidding.

Speaking of Kyle makes me really miss the old AVGN opening sequence style: Many random clips from episodes, the AVGN theme song with Kyle voice and finally the signature Mike’s title cards. James, please bring this back in your future AVGN episodes.

• Entrenaturaleza

August 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Jus´t don´t rush up man, take a good rest, you sure earned It.

• August 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Don’t forget your ‘Top 10 Worst Movie Cliches’ haha! In particular the fading to black part in movie trailers! Yes I remember and will be waiting in anticipation! Best of luck to you, I’m excited!

• Aramus

August 14, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Take your time James. We support you 100%

• Madlib

August 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm

What’s Kyle Justin been up to anyways? I hope he makes a cameo in the film

• Keith the Genesis Geek

August 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Best of luck James! We all appretiate the hard work you do on the best damn site ever :)

• Faze

August 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Cant wait for the trailer :D!! Best of luck to ya

• August 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I hope monster madness comes through this year. Good luck, James. We all really appreciate your work. Good luck! :)

• Batman

August 14, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Entrenaturaleza is right dude. Youve done a good job. Dont Rush it. Also cant wait for trailer woot!

• zUkUu

August 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

@Master2873

don’t take everything literally, fancypants. of course you don’t show a 45 minute “trailer”, yet there are SO MANY (most of them) trailers that show major scenes, take away so many moments or the best jokes (Ted – Thundersong was so overused in the commercials that it was just dull in the actual movie; EVERY comedy-love-flick spoils all the good jokes too) or the best action sequences (watch the Die Hard 4 Trailer, everything already shown – the jet, the car-helicopter-thing etc), some even spoiler key moments (Oldboy trailer) even if you don’t realize it when you watch the trailer at first or show story relevant plot.

There do exist good trailers, that make you curious to watch the movie because it’s interesting, and not because they’ve shown you all the good scenes. (0/ Prometheus, Rush Hour etc etc etc)

“Taken” for instance is a somewhat good trailer as it only gives away the very first few minutes of the movie (the general gist / theme). tho, it also fast-cuts in some later scenes, but nothing too striking.

There is no existing reason for a 3-5 minutes long trailer. Period.

• August 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

So there might not be monster madness this year?
    If not that’s OK just take your time the more time and effort the better result

• August 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Don’t stress yourself out too much James! Looking forward to seeing the trailer :)

• John

August 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm

James

I run an IT department for over 50 stores. I have computer parts out the ass.
    What kind of computer issues are you having? If you need any parts, hdds, memory, or just help let me know. Consider it a donation for the movie.
    I don’t have alot of experience with mac software, but with windows machines i can help out with whatever you need.

Reach out via my login profile if you need anything.

• August 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm

James you HAVE to do Monster Madness. I look forward to it each year so much. If you have time constraints, I would suggest employing some help from Mike for it, as I have come to enjoy his stuff very much here and I think he would only help bring further value to your Monster Madness project if you do it this year. PS: Does anyone know when the Punk will be doing his 24-hour NES marathon? Or did he already do it this year? I can’t remember.

• vitamin-c

August 14, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Very excited for the movie, but very glad you’re taking it easy for the summer. I’m amazed that you still update a lot, and are making quite a bit of videos. Mike is also making a lot of videos, which is awesome.
    As for music, the guy I record with is an amazing composer, he’s written music for movies before (great orchestral and can do a lot of other styles), he’s also directed music videos, made movies, composed music for festivals and other stuff. Hit me up on wylde_7890@hotmail.com if you’re interested at all in getting his number or keeping him on record!
    Thanks a lot for your amazing stuff!

• avgnfan3

August 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm

James, I actually would recommend, as a fan, that you don’t do Monster Madness this year. I know you would love to do it and that you do this every year, but you have been wanting to do the movie for a REALLY long time now, and getting so close might push you to make the MM episodes too quick and it might feel rushed and uninspired.

If I had to choose between MM and wait longer for the movie, or get the movie earlier, which has been fully dedicated to, I would choose the later. IN the grand scheme of things, it won’t really matter that you missed one year on MM.

• culwin

August 14, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Monster Madness would be awesome if you think you can do it.

• WinterDeathPeach

August 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Speaking of Monster Madness does anyone know why James never mentioned The Omen? And here’s an idea for Monster Madness why don’t you look at horror films that are all from different countries than your own, I like to see your opinion on more Internationale films.

• BenAgain

August 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Will the movie be released on BluRay? I’ve been into AVGN for a while, and I recently got my friend into it as well. We plan to go fitty fitty on the Movie, and then watch it together. Will we be able to watch it in HD?

• larquinius

August 14, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Definitely been enjoying the Monster Madness. You’ve inspired me to watch all of the older Universal Horror movies because I realize how much I’ve missed…

• zUkUu

August 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm

@BenAgain
    there will be a Digital Distribution, so HD should be available a 100%.

Unsure if he’ll go BlueRay or DVD. I’d guess he’ll do both, with the Blue Ray being a little pricier.

• Devil_Rising

August 14, 2012 at 9:25 pm

While as a fan, I am most eagerly awaiting the AVGN movie, and wish it would come out this year. As a rational human being, I know that moving out west and filming most of it also was an enormous undertaking, and probably took a lot out you. Then moving back again, and getting right back into the swing of things with videos, conventions, etc.

I’d certainly love to see Monster Madness 2012, just to keep up the annual tradition, but while I’d be disappointed NOT to see it (it has made October great for years now), I’d also understand that you need to finish the movie, and have other things on your plate as well.

One of these days, when your feature film career (HOPEFULLY) really takes off, Cinemassacre fans are going to have to understand that your online video content will come less and less. But personally, I’d love to see you eventually focus almost entirely on feature films, and even become a big success at it. I’d love to be able to walk into a local theater and see a James Rolfe film.

So kudos James! Your work has always entertained and inspired me. Keep it up, and know that while the internet seems to be full of nasty Ghosts and Goblins (not the cool kind either), that your true fans always love and support you and the Cinemassacre crew.

• Johnthegamer

August 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm

My question isn’t when is it coming out atm, but when might we see a AVGN movie trailer?:)

• Cjonas30

August 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm

James I just wanted to let you know how much i appreciate and enjoy all the work you do making videos on cinemassacre. I am on this site everyday that I am able to get online and would not know what to do with out it. Thank you for all the hard work and personal sacrifice you put into all that you do.

• diegowar

August 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Glad to hear you’ll make the final edit. To me it’s one of the aspect of movie that is the most underrated (depending on the type of movie, but in general it’s very important). I wouldn’t feel I really had made the movie unless I had some say in the editing part. To have the heavy work cut-out for you is great, but to have the final word on how things must go and with which timing, I couldn’t do without. And from what I’ve read in Rebel Without a Crew, one of your favorite directors would agree too :)

• August 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Definitely looking forward to the AVGN movie like everyone else, but nothing should hold Monster Madness back. It’s easily my favorite cinemassacre series and watching it everyday in October has become an integral part of Halloween for me. I know that you’re busy as hell and that it’s not fair to ask you to set aside all other projects for Monster Madness; but I’m hoping that you do. Hell – without Monster Madness, there’s no countdown to Halloween and thousands of children out there will never know the badass that is the horror/monster genre in cinema history. You’ve reviewed horror films from various decades across numerous countries, and as a whole, the Monster Madness series reveals an impressive evolution of film culture through the years. I, also, was guilty of not having watched many of the movies from the early Universal and Hammer films, where horror icons were born; but Monster Madness engaged me to experience some of those films.

I’ve always been a huge fan of psychological horror of the 60′s through the campy horror that dominated the 80′s, but I love re-watching those films. Many of those slasher flicks in the 80′s were heavily reminiscent of the exploitation horror in Australia that was huge in the late 60′s and 70′s.

Anyhow, any number of Monster Madness videos this year would be awesome. So, if you don’t have time for a full month long marathon of episodes; no worries – but it would be a shame to cancel the entire series for a year, no matter what stands in the way.

• Portland247

August 14, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Hey James I just wanted to express how grateful I am for all the work you do. Its also really cool how much you’ve been posting on the site by text recently. I love reading your updates. Thank you.

• Historic 66

August 15, 2012 at 12:04 am

James: You suffer for your work and that is what makes it so amazing.

• Stefanoragnopazzo

August 15, 2012 at 2:21 am

James, i’ll be waiting for the movie, do Monster Madness i’ll be patient don’t worry.

• windowlicker808

August 15, 2012 at 3:11 am

you should think about making some sort of compromise and just do maybe a week or ten days of monster madness. that way every one is happy and none of the work has to suffer. or relieve yourself of the bulk of monster madness and have a bunch of guest reviews from the likes of mike of course and that damn sexy stephanie yuhas among others. it’ll give MM some more variety and take some weight off your shoulders.

• Azdrerios Entertainment

August 15, 2012 at 4:17 am

Do Monster Madness if you feel like it and have the time. We fans are loyal, so I doubt we’d abandon you if you chose to work on the movie instead. In fact, many of us would probably be happy to see the movie hit the shelves a little bit sooner.

• SforzandoFilms

August 15, 2012 at 6:50 am

James I don’t think I’m the only one here who really really really wants you to do Monster Madness. Seriously Monster Madness has become a Halloween tradition for me and it’s introduced me to great horror films that I may never have heard of if it weren’t for you (White Zombie in particular being one of them, along with The Phantom Creeps).

• tristehn

August 15, 2012 at 7:19 am

James, as much as I’d like to see a glimpse of the AVGN movie, I won’t mind waiting a little longer to see it if you are spending your time doing another Monster Madness (my favorite series on Cinemassacre).
    And, next to that, don’t you dare to feel pushed to finish the movie! I think most of your die-hard fans will be willing to wait another year or two to see the movie the way it should be instead of some sped-up flick that lacks production.

• August 15, 2012 at 7:54 am

James, you do what you want to do. If you can’t do Monster Madness because the AVGN Movie is top priority, then don’t do it. Maybe let Mike take over and do it if you really want it up this year. Glad you’re getting back in touch with people you’re close to. It’s not easy having a career like yours so balancing private and professional life can prove to be difficult. Just stay positive and don’t forget to take a break now and again so that those closest to you realize how much you appreciate them. : )

• sampson

August 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

it’d be nice to hear from Kyle after such a long time…

• Jimbp

August 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

hope this movie rocks, and allows you to retire to do whatever the hell you want as far as film goes. and i hope karma come as you in a nonthreatening environment, peace.

• Jimbp

August 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

as=at

• August 15, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Thanks everyone!

• mkailing

August 15, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Any Idea what the Halloween series will be about this year?

• taskun56

August 15, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Hey James,

I registered for your site just so I could reply to this. As someone who lives far from friends and family I know how hard it is for you to maintain a grasp on everything. Considering all you do for AVGN as well as Cinemassacre I understand how it can be tough to juggle it all. As always I appreciate your videos and hope to see more.

Thanks for many laughs and good times. :-)

• Marc

August 15, 2012 at 11:16 pm

James, do you have a composer lined up for the movie?

• Phil_le_poulet

August 16, 2012 at 9:01 am

I’ve been an avid viewer of you two (James and Mike) since 2008. I really like the passion you put in all your videos. It’s easy to tell you freaking love videogames and cinema. Your videos have a charm that is difficult to find elsewhere and I hope you’ll do them for a long long time…

I’m really excited about the movie good luck finishing it!

• DavidARice

August 16, 2012 at 9:48 pm

When the movie comes out will it be stored in Wal Mart or something?

• greengiggy

August 16, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I get excited every time I see a new nerd video that I haven’t seen before. Was thrilled to see the Arnold Schwarzenegger episode. I find myself wondering sometimes just who the nerd “is.”. Is he purely imagination and character , or is he actually a blend of you now and you in the past? I know you claimed to make the first episode as a joke as you claimed to not like Simon’s quest when you really didn’t mind it….but the kid videos make me think that the real james is more avgn inside than meets the eye. I guesswhat I’m saying is….I’m an 80s kid and I too feel like I have an avgn in me….so I think that’s why I love your episodes so much.keep it real!

• Zolcos

August 17, 2012 at 10:02 am

I’m totally cool with everything being delayed if necessary, as long as Monster Madness still happens.

Also I had to make this post with internet explorer because when I try to use firefox the site tells me I am a spambot

• August 17, 2012 at 4:46 pm

james, do you read your comments on your site? i wonder if you or mike read this stuff. lots of ppl have good suggestions on a variety of subjects for your work, your site, etc.

• August 17, 2012 at 11:54 pm

The dudes from Red Letter Media are set builders!

• jetpackblues

August 18, 2012 at 1:01 pm

What’s going on with Kyle’s non-AVGN music lately? I haven’t heard anything new from him in years. :(