To watch every Star Trek episode: A Nerd’s goal

James / August 13th, 2012

One of my favorite shows as a kid was the original Star Trek series. They used to play a lot of re-runs on TV. The past year, I’ve been watching the Blu-ray editions. I think it’s a great idea that you have the option to watch the enhanced versions or the originals unaltered. Maybe Star Wars could take some advice on that. Ooh! I just took a jab at Star Wars in a Star Trek post. I’ll be caught in a crossfire of light sabers and phasers!

Another thing I like about the Blu-rays is that they take up much less space on my shelf than the VHS tapes. Speaking of the VHS tapes, the episodes are ordered completely differently. That confused the hell out of me. At first, I thought the Blu-rays were wrong, until I figured out the VHS tapes number the episodes in the order they were made. The Blu-rays number them in the order they originally aired. I’ve just been schooled!

The reason I’m writing this, other than because I felt like it, is because I have to confess I’ve never seen every single episode. How can I be a nerd and not see every episode of Star Trek? Watching an entire TV series is a big task. I’ve only done it a few times (Twilight Zone and TMNT are the only I can think of at the moment). So far, it’s been taking a whole year. (I don’t have a whole lot of time.) I just finally made it to the third season which I hear is not that good.

To any Star Trek fans out there, tell me your thoughts on the series, and give me the strength to complete this quest!

Comments

• germanium28

August 13, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I thought you watched all of Tales from the Crypt.

• foobixdesi

August 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm

2 Words: Space Lincoln

• August 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I started that same project last fall, though I’d already seen every TOS episode at least once. When I finished that, I moved onto TNG, DS9, Voyager, and now I’m on Enterprise season 2. Even “bad” Star Trek is still better than 99% of the garbage you could be watching.

I didn’t know the TOS Blu Rays had both versions. I need to pick those up now, I only have the DVDs.

• JoeHaaafs

August 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I just finished watching the Original Series last month, thanks to Netflix. I’m glad I was finally able to watch every episode. I felt a lot like you, feel like I wasn’t a true nerd. The 3rd season is the worst, in my opinion… But it’s still worth a watch. There are some gems in there. Abraham Lincoln is one of the highlights. While I found The Savage Curtain to be an awkward episode, I can’t help but love it.

I have now moved on to the daunting task of watching every episode of The Next Generation. I honestly had no idea there were so many episodes. I’ve been watching an episode at every opportunity and I’m into season 2. I’m hoping to be done by 2013, but we’ll see.

• August 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

germanium28, you’re quick! That’s right. Those were the only 2 I could come up with off the top of my head. Tales from the Crypt and Family Matters like Mike said are also shows that I’ve watched in their entirety.

• August 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

JoeHaaafs, you reminded me. I’ve also seen The Next Generation in its entirety. It’s a daunting task for sure, but such a great show. That’s another reason why I have to do the original, and then I’ll try to move onto Deep Space Nine maybe.

• Smokingspoon

February 28, 2015 at 6:56 am

DS9 was a really different take on the franchise. It was less about adventure and exploration, but more about digging further into the world of Star Trek. The race, the politics, the economy. To me it was so-so, sometimes good, sometimes too corny and boring.
      It’s last season was a blast though.
      But in the genre, I would recommend watching Babylon 5 instead. It was an awesome show.

• BladeDude12345

August 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I just finished watching the entire star trek series (it took 4 years) and it was fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚
    Also do you have any plans on reviewing the new Avengers or spiderman movie?

• August 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm

A very lofty goal indeed. some is bad (real bad) but the bad just makes it so muck better. plus you may find another persona for the site maybe the angry red shirt. lol

• Allen Lucas

August 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm

My question is how do you feel about enhancements made for the original series? I think they’re made so that modern viewers like myself about the older special effects in those episodes.

• hammerhorrortexas

August 13, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I should really watch the Star Trek laserdiscs and tapes that I have amassed over the years of collecting. I just get confused because I don’t know where to start. I have titles such as Star Trek The Cage, Star Trek Nemesis, Deep space 9, searching for spock, the voyage home, the undiscovered country, insurrection, generations, the wrath of khan and some others that are buried away in boxes. So, where do I start? Kind of intimidating.

• bile

August 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm

About 3 months ago I finished the trek of going though all the series in order. It took a while but was totally worth it. TNG and DS9 are great… unfortunately it goes down hill from there but Enterprise has some gems.

• coolman756

August 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I’ve never seen all the episodes either… only the first season, and I can’t even remember if I finished it. I was planning to buy the whole show on Blu-ray and re-watch it but I haven’t done it yet. Well, I know what my next buy is going to be.

I too love the fact that you can chose between the original and the enhanced version. I don’t know if I should watch the enhanced version or the original one, though. Sure, the new one has enhanced effects, but I don’t mind old stuff at all (au contraire), so I guess I’m going to go with the original just for the sake of nostalgia.

• Sander2k

August 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I am working on the same goal at the Moment! This is a very good goal a nerd should achieve.

Just finished all VOY episodes. TNG will follow next.

But I slipped to Game Of Thrones & Breaking Bad for a while. This is THE sign I should go on with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sander2k

August 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm

P.S.: The goal to watch only the original series is too simple. Every Star Trek episode of all the series is a better one. Except the animated series. Nobody likes the animated series.

• August 13, 2012 at 6:13 pm

There was an AMAZING youtube video of “the doomsday machine” with new special effects, you may want to catch it. Have you seen Enterprise and Deep Space 9? Everyone always knocks them but DS9 was basically star wars in a star trek series, and Enterprise showed a lot of potential in its fourth season!

• August 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm

• Vulcan Assassin

August 13, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I have been doing the same thing for a bout a year now James! I am going order with the exception of putting the original series last ( I have already seen the TOS twice). I started with TNG, moved to Voyager, then to Deep Space Nine which I am currently on now. Next is Enterprise, followed by TOS again.

It’s very interesting, since I started 2 of my family members have also joined in on the quest to watch them all. The best pat about it, is you can watch at your own pace, and without the 1 week wait between episodes when it originally aired, and it becomes a much more immersed experience,

And DO NOT skip DS9 James !! I was very reluctant to give it a try myself, but I am glad I did, it’s so much different from the other Star Trek shows – in a great way. Not being restricted to a Ship, and being on a Space station adds a LOT of great potential to the plots, etc. the characters are brilliant, and the show doesn’t tend to get stale like the other series did.

Voyager wasn’t too bad either. I am one of the few that loved that one.

ENJOY YOUR TREK JAMES! KEEP US UPDATED!

• August 13, 2012 at 6:38 pm

watch Firefly! Its a great tv series! Im 3/4 done with this series myself. Its basically a show about Han Solo more less. The shows basis is about a space smuggler captain and his crew. Feels like a mix of Star Trek and Cowboy Bebop. I love Star Trek as well and I have watched every episode including DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and even TAS…but after that, I needed more sci fi….and I found Firefly

• blueridgeline

August 13, 2012 at 6:40 pm

James,
    If it’s any help, check out Star Trek 365 by Paula M. Block. It’s a coffee table book that chronicles each episode in order (as aired). It has a behind the scenes look at each episode: funny moments, who did what that wasn’t part of the script, as well as where the idea behind most of the stories came from. I actually (re)watched the entire series because of the book and even the boring episodes were easier to digest.

• therogue117

August 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Star Trek: 80 episodes – 50 min per episode *average*
    Enterprise: 97 episodes – 42 min per episode *average*
    Voyager: 168 episodes – 45 min per episode *average*
    DS9: 173 episodes – 45 min per episode *average*
    Next Generation : 177 episodes – 45 min per episode *average*
    Animated series: 22 episodes – 24 min per episode *average*

Total Episodes: 717
    Total Time: 31912 Minutes
    531.86667 Hours
    22.1611 Days

It takes 22 days to become a true nerd.

• joshism

August 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

A friend of mine has spent the last several years watching every episode in order – including the Animated Series! – and I think he just finally got to Voyager.

• jeditrekkie93

August 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm

@therogue117 actually it would take 23 days if you watched all the movies

• August 13, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I watched every single episode of the original Star Trek series on Netflix earlier this year. Aside from a few cheesy episodes in season three, I thought it was great just like the first two. It’s amazing all the side shots of bare breast, butt cheek exposure, and even a snatch shot got in the show. That was during a time when things were heavily censored. Even the “I Dream Of Jeanie” show was tame compared to Star Trek. Then there is Uhura making out with Kirk. You gotta remember that this was the 1960s when the civil rights movement was in full swing and racial tensions were exceptionally high. How those two didn’t get killed by racists like the KKK is beyond me. A truly great series ahead of it’s time. I honestly feel it’s the best in the entire franchise. James, if you ever have free time I highly recommend you doing a review of the original Star Trek series as you did the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. : )

• Vulcan Assassin

August 13, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Yeah thanks, I forgot to mention the Animated Series. It’s great. I like it because it allowed the Original Series to do things would have been way to expensive to do on film, and some nice episodes came from it.

• therogue117

August 13, 2012 at 9:11 pm

@jeditrekkie93 Ah yes, thank you good sir, forgot about the movies.

• Kenshiroh

August 13, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Mike is right about “Spock’s Brain” not actually being the worst episode. In my opinion the worst one is “The Paradise Syndrome”. Unless you’re counting the spin-offs. In that case it is Voyager’s “Threshold” (aka the one where going past Warp 10 makes people “evolve” into lizards). (Pretty funny review of Threshold here: http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v832.asp)

In fact, I would advise skipping Voyager altogether. What I saw of Enterprise was also pretty bad, but I heard it actually started getting better right before it got cancelled.

• quickson1

August 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm

You don’t deserve to wear the uniform.

• quickson1

August 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm

that*

• Xen11

August 13, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Well, you have to watch the three season of Star Trek, plus Star Trek: The Next Generation, plus Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, plus Star Trek: Voyager, plus Enterprise, plus all the movies in between. And a lot of them intersect , as in air dates. You have to look up the episode guides and watch everything in airdate order with the movie release dates included all throughout. I’ll do this next year.

And forget Blu-ray because it will be many years until the entire Star Trek series is released on Blu-ray. Just buy all the DVDs or torrent them or a combo of both.

You can watch both versions of the original Star Trek on Blu?

• HeavyMetalSheppyshepshep

August 13, 2012 at 11:53 pm

take a drink every-time someone says “Spock’s brain”, in the ep Spock’s brain.
    Terribly awesome ep

• Lanlost

August 14, 2012 at 12:55 am

Due to the nature of comments here from the last few years I was really expecting to see lots of comments like:

“Hey James, you lazy bastard (in all seriousness). You’ve lost ur touch. Your videos aren’t all dick and fuck jokes anymore and thus have no redeeming qualities. Mind you that I didn’t grow up during the era that would have allowed me to play any of the games you review, so really the ONLY thing I pull out is the humor and now that I’m getting older it’s not nearly as funny to me as it used to be. Anyway, how about instead of watching episodes of Star Trek you actually put some effort into something and watch, critique and finish your own movie. I have Windows Movie Maker myself and could have completed it with a 1/00th of your budget.”

I’m glad to see no such comment exists. I really DO think that kids who DIDN’T gor up in the 8-bit/16-bit era probably DID get the humor out of your show as the number one thing, especially since you’ve been doing it so long now (it’s really mind blowing to think how long we’ve all been watching you do this) they would have thought your ‘dick and fuck ‘jokes were the greatest thing ever.

Anyway, I am posting this specifically BECAUSE there is no comment like this here since I’m so used to seeing comments like this permeating every other video you’ve made as those kids grow up and now don’t laugh at the same things they’d id when you started AND ALSO lack the nostalgia still. … Just remember, the reason that any true AVGN fan loves your stuff is because of the insane amount of dedication you put into it and MOST OF ALL .. because you actually CRITIQUE games. Hell, your absolute first videos weren’t even raunchy/dirty and I KNEW they were going to continue to blow me away for years.

This is the thing that any other clone has missed. They always try to copy the angry part of AVGN and the cursing instead of realizing that the thing that makes it good is the actual great critique/content. To me you’ve turned this exaggerated version of yourself into an actual icon with substance. Keep up the good work. Any time I feel like I’m not accomplishing anything it REALLY inspires me to see you put in this hard work for all of us.

Sorry for the long message, I just wanted to let you know this.

• doemaaan

August 14, 2012 at 3:37 am

i’ve never given star trek a chance. it looked to old school and cheesy to me.. however, i’ve seen people draw comparisons between this and mass effect because of all the techy-talk that goes around. mass effect made itself believable in that aspect and it’s part of the reason why i’m such a fanboy of that series.

who knows, maybe star trek will have the same effect on me.

• diegowar

August 14, 2012 at 3:51 am

I haven’t watched all episodes of a series much either…
    The ones I can think of are Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Lost (which are more my generation). I’m working on Farscape and Battlestar Galactica, and Star Trek is in my future plans… but it’s taking so much time, I’ve got hundreds of games to play, movies to watch, books to read, and that’s only on the “consuming part”, I’ve got plans to make stuff too in all three categories, which takes even more time ๐Ÿ™

But don’t worry, when it comes to watching videos on Cinemassacre.com, I can always find some time ๐Ÿ™‚

• Balor

August 14, 2012 at 4:00 am

Go, go, James!

You can do it!

Gambare!

• Balor

August 14, 2012 at 4:01 am

Thank you for your great work, Rolfe!

• Caine

August 14, 2012 at 4:30 am

I had the same problem a few years back. Turns out I had watched far more TOS episodes than I had thought. I didn’t stop there though. I watched every episode of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and even…. Enterprise. It took me till the beginning of this year to finish, about 2 years total.

I’m currently on a mission to watch all the films as well. I fear I may have missed a few of the TNG ones.

Anywho, point is, you can do it James. If it takes a long time, what of it? As long as you are enjoying it there is no reason not to continue. Also I can personally vouch that it’s something you wont regret when you’ve finished. I firmly believe every moment I’ve spent watching any iteration of Trek was time well spent. Even with the series/episodes I don’t care for.

TOS has been and will always be my favorite.

• Manny

August 14, 2012 at 4:42 am

Wow what a coincidence, as I have never seen Star Trek before in my life, I have started to watch from the very first season in the original series not long ago. I’m currently up to episode 15 (the episodes are longer than I thought they would be) and having never seen these before, I almost feel ashamed of myself. They’re great!

The episodes, being so old, I imagine a lot of people would have trouble getting into this franchise by watching right from the beginning. The music score throughout in my opinion is quite atmospheric, but rather dated. The acting can really show its age sometimes too, like when Captain Kirk makes a woman swoon for him (and that one episode with Miri) – also especially the combat scenes feel really badly choreographed. But I love it. I like the fact that the series shows it’s age, its as if I’m taking a step into the past, and in that respect I can see why it was so beloved, and still is.

Captain Kirk is awesome. He really feels like a strong willed character, an immovable object, and really shows a dominance when on screen. Mr. Spock is one of those characters you feel that in a crisis, you should just ask him for advice, and he’s give the best answer, or the most logical one. Hah. Quite apt that he’s the Captain’s second in command.

So seeing these characters for the first time, as others would have all those years ago, I can see why this franchise got a lot of attention. I’m a little late to the show- but better late than never.

• Maddy

August 14, 2012 at 5:43 am

My boyfriend just got me the entire original Star Trek series on BluRay for my birthday. I too was surprised to learn that the first episode aired was actually “The Man Trap” and not “Where No Man Has Gone Before” since I knew that was the second pilot and the first episode made, not counting the Cage.

I’ve savoring it slowly, though.

The nice thing about this BluRay set is that is has both the original grainy 60s versions or the new digitally enhanced versions. I can watch either one depending on what kind of mood I’m in. However, the sound is pretty much the same on both versions, apart from the theme song, which they recorded it . The original series was recorded in mono, so they can’t do anything to change that.

Anyway, i’m sure you’re aware of all this. I’m just still stoked as hell about this box set.

• Maddy

August 14, 2012 at 5:45 am

Oop…that should say, “which they re-recorded.” I got a little too excited.

• doesthings

August 14, 2012 at 6:44 am

I did my own ‘thon earlier this year of The Original Series and The Animated Series.

Scroll down to see the beginning. WARNING: I am overwhelmingly negative.

• August 14, 2012 at 6:46 am

I never found Star Trek all that appealing. I just don’t feel they made all that much effort, it feels very dated and there is no scientific base whatsoever. It’s not even believable, it’s all just gibberish. I’ve always favored Stargate because of this. Stargate always explains it in a way that feels natural, it feels like this could really happen. A lot of things are based on real scientific speculation and even what’s not at all possible in the real world is presented like it is. Maybe all of this is because in Stargate humankind is not far advanced and it makes it that much more believable, because it’s close to us. And that’s why I don’t like Star Trek.

• Chillrah

August 14, 2012 at 7:56 am

I think most of the episodes of all the different Star Trek shows are pretty stupid and childish. But ive seen em all and the “feeling” you get whiile getting lost in Star Trek is verry enjoyable.
    And there are episodes in all the shows that makes em worth watching.
    My personal favourite is from Voyager, when they get stuck in like a time stasis and watches a civilisation on the planet bellow go from primitive tribes to a space faring species. Cool as shit. And Jin from Lost plays a big part wich was fun to see.
    Gotta love those Star Trek cameos! XD

• Milk

August 14, 2012 at 8:21 am

James! You’re awesome.

When are we getting a new mailbag episode?

• Zolcos

August 14, 2012 at 9:47 am

I wouldn’t hold too much reverence for “the order they were originally aired” since TV stations are known to butcher the order of a series just so they can do whatever they think optimizes ratings etc. Just look at Firefly.

• August 14, 2012 at 11:20 am

I’ve been a huge TOS fan since about 1991 (25th anniversary). I don’t consider myself a trekkie, though, because I only really like the original series. Everything else, including most of the movies, I have a “take it or leave it” attitude towards.

My favorite season is the best in my opinion. While season one has some of the best star trek episodes of all time, I feel overall the second is better. Season 2 put much more focus on the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic and the addition of Checkov added a lot more humor to the show.

Yeah, season 3… where do I begin? There are some good episodes in season 3 believe it or not. The Cloud Miners was decent as was The Tholian Web. But it also has some of the worst episodes. They’re bad!

I’ll single out The Empath, Spocks Brain, and Plato’s Stepchildren as some of the worst, but even they have some “so bad it’s good” qualities, especially Plato’s Stepchildren. I mean come on, Captain Kirk neighing like a horse while giving a midget a ride on his back… how cool is that?!?!? It’s one of the funniest and most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen!

• August 14, 2012 at 11:22 am

The first line in my second paragraph was supposed to be: “The second season is the best in my opinion”.

I don’t know how I screwed that up.

ps: by the way, I am NOT an automated spambot. Why do I keep getting called that everytime I want to post something? Anyone else having this problem?

• August 14, 2012 at 11:33 am

@ HeavyMetalSheppyshepshep

I always thought the movie “The Matrix” would make a good drinking game. Everytime someone says “the one”… take a drink. Although, now that I think of it, you would probably die of alcohol poisoning after the first 40 minutes.

• zUkUu

August 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I didn’t like Star Trek so I’m proud to announce that I never finished a whole episode ๐Ÿ™‚ – I tried a few times but it’s just too cheesy to endure.

I could never grasp what’s so awesome about the series. Also, nowadays, there are so many brilliant series that are 100 times more worth to spend your time on, so I don’t know if I could pull that off to watch all episodes of Star Trek.

• Dark Pythagoras

August 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I had taken on a personal project a few years ago to watch all of Star Trek in chronological order. That includes The Original Series, The Animated Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, and all of the films.

It took me about a year and a half to watch it all and I have say it definitely changes your perspective on the world, somewhat of a universal scope on life. With over 550 hours worth of content included in your day-in day-out regular routine, nothing is the same afterwards. There are some great stories to be had, sure you are going to watch a few bad episodes but that’s part of it.

My point is that it’s definitely worth watching all of Star Trek but it will take a long time to accomplish.

• Dark Pythagoras

August 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm

The characters may take a few episodes to get used to but they are what makes the show so great. They are fully fleshed out with their own traits and mannerisms in such a way it’s as if you actually know them.

With all of that said, take your time with it and just enjoy the show, because before you know it your task will be complete and the fun will be over.

• Hamaniac

August 14, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I am watching The Next Generation at the moment. I like those seasons. Maybe I should also watch the original series.

• nincrony

August 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’ve seen the entire first two seasons of the original Star Trek (never braved the third) and am currently trying to watch all of The Next Generation (up to mid season 4). I’ve also seen all the movies. My biggest Trek fan secret is that I haven’t watched the divisive Deep Space Nine – my brother loves it, most of my Trekkie fans hate it (then again they like Voyager, so go figure). I love Star Trek and everything about it. As for the Trek vs. Wars debate … I’m a Trekkie all the way xD Even though I love Star Wars (the originals) probably just about as much!

Star Trek changed so much about me and my pursuits and made up a big part of my childhood. The stories in the original series, for the most part, are excellent and the cast is easily one of my favourites in any TV show. It’s just filled with so many great moments and lines and stories.

Good luck James! xD

• Czab

August 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm

So are you going to watch just the original series? Try watching ALL the the fucking episodes ever made ๐Ÿ˜€ I have watched most of the Star Trek episodes multiple times. I think I like Deep Space 9 the most, because it has good and long story arcs. And the Original Series the least (does ENT even count?), because I didn’t grow up watching it and because it’s pretty ridiculous most of the time :D. But that’s quite alright, it just adds to the humor. And I DO still like TOS. Kirk and Spock! there’s no better pair :).

I hope you will do a somekind of a review when you are done watching ๐Ÿ˜‰

• maduro999

August 14, 2012 at 11:24 pm

In all honesty, i have watched every single episode except for enterprise, i couldn’t get through the first season, it’s rough and you should save it for last.

Ok listen to me, sit down and put on DS9, do not stop until you finish season 7, only then will you see the true scope of Star Trek.

But if you really want to see the greatest series EVER!! Babylon 5.

• diabloarcade

August 15, 2012 at 1:15 am

I’m about to start “To Watch Every AVGN Episode: A … goal..”

• Immortalfire

August 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

A couple years back, I watched every episode of the Original Trek, Next Generation, DS9 & Voyager.

It was a proud time.

• Jimbp

August 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm

personally i would rather be playing magic cards, but thats me.

• Jimbp

August 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm

King of the hill rules : P

• darxide

August 16, 2012 at 1:36 am

I accomplished this goal over the course of a few months in 2010. Epic doesn’t describe 12 hour of Trek a day. I made the best of being disabled, I’d say.

• popculturist

August 16, 2012 at 2:11 am

I actually did a trek marathon with my stepfather back in 2010……dinnertime has never been as exciting! It took close to a year but we watched every series, movie, and special episode we could get our hands on.

• August 16, 2012 at 8:20 am

James, I was recently re-watching some monster madness and I got two words which will make you follow this through to the end and not miss any ds9 or enterprise… Jeffrey Combs.

*Spoiler Alert*
    He is murdered twice, and commits suicide once in the ds9 story and is murdered once more in the mirror universe.

• ShabbyHoneybee

August 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I’ve watched every episode of DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. I’ve watched most of TNG. I can’t get through the Original Series. Someday I’ll have to make myself just sit through it, but it just isn’t as entertaining as the others.

• shane77x

August 16, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Buddy….you….well let’s just say that is one hell of a challenge. I’ve seen ever original series episode as well as enterprise, currently in season 3 of voyager. Thing is I watched them all in a month and a half. Being out of work gives you a lot of time and right now they’re on Netflix. SO I watched all of enterprise in 5 days, all of TOS in 5 days and am now working so voyager is taking longer. I dis-like ds9 so I’m saving that one for last. Why do I dislike ds9? I like the idea of exploring space in a space ship, not stuck to a static outpost. Anyways good luck James, you sir are a man who loves challenges!

• voltronface

August 16, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I’ve never seen all of the original, to tell the truth. I have, however, seen every TNG multiple times, seen every Deep Space Nine, and every Enterprise. DS9 and Enterprise are seriously underrated, btw. I am having a hard time sitting down on netflix to watch all of the original, but it does make me appreciate all of the later series the more I watch it.

• Elogotar

August 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I never got into Star Trek as a kid and when I decided to give it a try, I decided to watch the whole franchise (movies and all, except the cartoon series) in chronological order as one big show (I’m OCD like that.) It took me over 6 months to watch all that content and that’s even with the ridiculous amount of TV I watch. Trek is a franchise TOTALLY worth it though. My only complaint is that after watching TNG and DS9, Voyager seemed really lame by comparison. I suppose that means I’m really glad I got Enterprise out of the way first.

• TheGameRaider

August 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm

The Original Series’ best season was Season 2, but Season 3 has some pretty nice gems. You could make the argument that the budget was cut in half, and there were no “on location” episodes, but it is still Star Trek. “Spock’s Brain”, “The Enterprise Incident”, “Spectre of the Gun”, “The Tholian Web”, “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield” and of course the series finale “Turnabout Intruder” stand out among the rest.

• gabemr

August 20, 2012 at 8:26 am

The second season is the best. A lot of good episodes, with solid ideas for a series. The first season is a classic, sรณ, despite of some “normal” episodes, we cannot talk badly about it. And the third season has some good episodes, like ‘Let That Be Your Last Battlefield” and “The Enterprise Incident”, but overall is very weak.

• mrpopsicleman

August 23, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I’ve been watching Trek my whole life (all 27 years of it). TOS is old hat for me, and I’ve seen every episode more times than I could ever count. Honestly though, the third season is really underrated. While it does have some dumb episodes, there are some really good episodes as well. Also, bad TOS episodes are better than bad TNG or Voyager episodes. I’ll take “Spock’s Brain” or “The Way to Eden” over TNG’s “Masks” or Voyager’s “Threshold” any day.

At the beginning of this year, I finished my DVD collection of every series and movie, then ripped them all to ISO files on a 3 TB hard drive hooked up to a streaming media player. Wanted to watch everything in order without having to remove and switch discs. Also I was introducing the show to my wife, who never really watched other than a little of TNG here and there. We watched TOS in production order, since watching a few episodes and then going back to “Where No Man Has Gone Before” makes no sense. It’s really fun to watch the show with a fresh perspective through my wife’s eyes. I get questions about things that I take for granted, like “What do all the different colored shirts mean?” and “How come almost every alien race they meet look exactly like humans?” I think my favorite question was probably “Why did they change from this to Patrick Stewart and the Reading Rainbow guy?” That one had a long answer.

We’re half way through The Animated Series right now, and going to keep going all the way until the end of Enterprise. So my advice to you James is stay the course and keep enjoying it at your own pace.

• wedders

August 25, 2012 at 6:49 am

I finished watching through all of Voyager about a month ago – I’d watched odd episodes of it and knew it was excellent, but I’d never watched it outside of “Oh look, Voyager’s on TV, that’ll kill 20 minutes.”
    What an excellent series that is.
    I’ve seen most of the Next Generation via the same “when it’s on tv” method, but I’m considering doing the same for that. TNG was the trek of my 90’s childhood so I have soft spot for it. I also downloaded all of the most recent series “Enterprise” just after it had finished airjng around 05 and I thought that was pretty brilliant too – more near-future, more relatable from a social and scientific perspective.

So I guess that just leaves the original series, which is excellent too, but its further down my list than the other series’. Oh, and DS9, which I hate with a fiery passion.

• August 25, 2012 at 8:29 am

That’s my goal as well. Well, sort of. I wnat to see every episode of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation. The other series just aren’t as magical to me.

• adam loewen

August 28, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I watched everything Trek EXCEPT TOS at 28, having never seen a single Trek episode in my life. Took about two years. Maybe I’ll join you watching TOS (slowly because I’m busy too).

My thoughts on the experience: very enchanting, and it made me feel like I’m now a part of something I never understood before. Also, all the Trekkies start coming out of the woodwork when you know the lingo. More than anything, it’s like I’m in on the joke now, and occasionally I like to romanticize and think about that vision for our galaxy. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend it (sorry, guys). Just think – Star Wars squeezed a fantastical universe into 5 hours of films! While Trek wins out just for scale and quantity’s sake, if we’re going pound for pound, there’s just no comparison! (Of course, as Wars puts out more and more shit, those ratios approach each other. Of course, I’m not really counting the novels, Ewoks and Droids franchises, etc.)

• diesel2126

September 2, 2012 at 4:02 am

I am doing the for about a year I am almost done with season 2. good luck james and everyone else, it’s worth it.

• Digger318

September 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I watched all the original, animated, enterprise, TNG, and all the movies.
    ON the last season of voyager.
    but… ds9… 4 episodes of it and im totally bored…

I watched ALL The turtles in a row!
    Other shows I watched all:
    Thomas and friends “Model ones not crappy cgi”
    The Mask
    Batman, Justice League, Batman Beyond, The Batman

ALL the original Scooby Doo up to the 13 ghost of scooby.

All simpsons, fam guy, american dad, cleveland show, futurama, south park up to date..

terminator.. and the list goes on O_o

• AnotherNerd

September 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm

As of a year and a half ago, I have watched all of the episodes from all the series in series chronological order, ending with Enterprise (I believe it shouldn’t have been cancelled so early because it was a great concept). Thanks to netflix, I am in touch with my inner trekkie. Sadly, netflix doesn’t have ANY of the star trek movies on it (even the most recent one). Anyway, it’s cool to know that finally I have found the place where nerds are built, Cinemassacre.com =) .

• whatthehellisagigawatt

September 15, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Hey James… its cool your watching all the old trek, i’m 30 years old and grew up during the next gen’s hay day, i became a gigantic fan and loved the end of season cliffhangers. soon after, i discover the TOS crew films and became pretty much obsessed! naturally, the next step was to check out TOS which at the time was on re-runs at 10pm on weekdays, so i ended up being lucky enough to catch most of the episodes at an early age. now i own them on bluray and i’ve gotta say its great to be able to enjoy it once again, reliving some good memories… I’ve recently took the time to run thru all three seasons this year and it was just great! my girlfriend loves it too lol. season 3 acually contains 4 of my favourite episodes of the entire series: “The Enterprise Incident” “Spectre of the Gun” “The Tholian Web” “Wink of an Eye”…. glad to know your goin old school trek. enjoy it man!