The most Non-Blu-ray movie to be released on Blu-ray

James / August 2nd, 2012

You have to be kidding me! Dracula Vs. Frankenstein is now on Blu-ray. I don’t believe it myself, but here’s the proof.ย I’m extremely curious how much better the image quality is, especially with the dark fight scene in the woods. Can you now see what’s going on? I doubt it. It’s hilarious to think that a movie that’s been shot so poorly just got an HD upgrade.ย It’s one of the worst movies ever made. If you’re not familiar with it, check out my review.ย And if anyone’s seen the Blu-ray, let me know how it is.

Comments

• August 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

Life is full of strange surprises.X,D

• The Bland Generation

August 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

It’s usually nice to see the slightly less obvious candidates getting the Blu-ray treatment…but not always, I guess.
    Still, you’ve gotta be happy knowing Universal are unleashing their best monster movies on Blu this year (I honestly wasn’t expecting to see my favourite of the bunch ‘The Invisible Man’ so soon) and it looks like Hammer is starting to put a lot of it’s classics out on the format now too (in the UK at least).
    In fact there’s a ton of awesome BD’s I’m looking forward to this year, but so far only one specifically I’m hoping to see next year. No prizes for guessing what it is, and if we get to see it on the BIG screen first then even better ๐Ÿ™‚

• A three-headed monkey

August 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

Well, if Manos: The Hands of Fate can get the Blu-ray treatment (not kidding: http://www.manosinhd.com), I don’t see why this shouldn’t. Still, I guess it’s a good thing when a film gets restored/preserved, good or bad.

• August 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

Considering Blu-Ray players also play DVD, makes you wonder if shit like this is even worth it.

It’s probably just a strategy to get crazy collectors buying the film once again, as an edition like this is probably dead cheap to produce.

• Mr Fist

August 2, 2012 at 12:37 pm

• August 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm

How does this movie get a Blu-Ray treatment when Ricky-1 hasn’t even gotten one yet? Imagine a horse-headed stripper in HD.

• August 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm

The Wizard of Oz was put on blu ray and it was nothing but a transfer. Nothing was done to it at all.

• jsim

August 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

he’s really got to stop these.. none of them are funny.

• hammerhorrortexas

August 2, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Re: Bland Generation’

Your right, I picked up Hammers’ Vampire Circus and Twins of Evil with Peter Cushing on Blu Ray. They keep advertising Hands of The Ripper, but that hasn’t come out in the United States yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just put the same transfer on the Blu Ray, but lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Devil_Rising

August 2, 2012 at 11:48 pm

@jsim

What the………FUCK are you talking about?

• August 3, 2012 at 6:14 am

@jsim

This isn’t supposed to be all that funny. It’s from his Monster Madness series that goes on in October every year. It isn’t supposed to be like his AVGN series. It’s supposed to be educational and a legitimate review.

In fact, I look forward with great anticipation EVERY year to watching his Monster Madness. Every year it’s something different, and I learn TONS of new things and get lots new movies I need to watch.

It’s retards like this that piss me off. AVGN is a CHARACTER James plays, not a real person. James != AVGN. It’s like the retards that see an actor down the street and they call out to the actor by their character’s name. Like if I saw Harrison Ford, and ran up to him calling him “Han Solo.” “Oh my god! Han Solo can you give me an autograph!?” Fucking retarded.

So yeah, fuck you very much, jsim.

• Azalea

August 3, 2012 at 9:20 am

Last I looked this was Cinemassacre, not avgn.com, Jism.

• August 3, 2012 at 11:52 am

You know why they relase those movies on blueray right? because there are people out there that request for those kind of things to hapen,as if its was not enough that they allready took their place on dvd’s now we have them on lue ray’s.The thing i don’t understand more is that how they are gonna make that old movie work better in a blue ray.Thats why people we never see some other movies released on blueray’s.

• August 3, 2012 at 11:57 am

I don’t say its a bad idea to have those on bluerays for some of you out there youre going to start beating at me! no not at all,its the fact that if you start something you must finished it and then start to produce the entire collection.I remember i have bought the box with some of the hammer movies inside the one with the 21 discs adn they didn’t incude there the dracula franky movies! at least not all of them.

• greedo

August 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm

“I hope they didn’t really drown the bat. That would be a shame for any creature to be sacrificed for such an awful movie”. Ha, ha, love it!

• August 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm

See what i told you! they have include that movie on a blue ray,clasics excluded ofcourse.

• TheProfessor

August 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Although I can’t speak for this movie specifically, I think we’ve gotten to the point with blu-ray, like we did with dvd after a few years, in which many releases aren’t given the “treatment” and cleaned up/converted to HD, but rather simply transferred. Much like tranfering a vhs copy of something to a dvd. The image quality is still the same, just watching it on a different format. Hell, you can put an mp3 on a cd, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it will sound better than a cassette. Depends on the source.

• August 3, 2012 at 7:37 pm

See James? Now you have to release your movie on blu-ray, or we’ll have to compare it to Dracula Vs. Frankenstein.

• yonoid818

August 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm

The only reason this got a Blu-Ray release is because YOU did a review of it – don’t act like you didn’t have anything to do with this happening, James. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• ReelDreamProductions

August 3, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Most of the older films receiving blu-ray treatment is in order to help preserve the fading camera negative. These films are deteriorating and in turn losing color contrast/saturation and sound quality. I saw an AFI sponsored commercial about the importance of Blu-Ray and older films with Martin Scorsese and many other directors.

• Michael Tyler

August 4, 2012 at 12:47 am

I wonder if the fight in the woods is any clearer on blu-ray?

• angryrider

August 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Why the hell would they even pay the Blu-Ray license fee for this dreck?

• August 4, 2012 at 9:03 pm

And I thought Clerks on Blu-Ray was strange

• DSg077

August 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

@jsim

Stop being an self-entitled twit, you stupid ‘fanboi’.

@Don Skiver

Thank you, you’ve summed up everything I needed to say in the best of words. ๐Ÿ™‚

• NeoMaximuz

August 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

As soon as I saw the announcement for this Blu-Ray, I both burst out laughing and kept rubbing my eyes incredulously.

Thank you for introducing it to us in the first place, James.

I for one am ordering it as soon as I get a chance!

• natr0n

August 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm

If you want to talk about the worst blu-ray , National Lampoons Christmas Vacation looks like its vhs sourced.

• OleVanDole

August 7, 2012 at 5:09 am

Since its sourced from 16mm its perfect for a HD transfer, question is all about compression. Still, 16mm by amateurs can still look like rectal cancer.
    Troll 2 looked great on bluray so who knows…

• DeadzombieNick

August 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Totally unrelated to the topic at hand, I was actually wondering if anyone out there was curious if James and the crew were going to do more Over Analyzer episodes? Does anyone have ideas for them to toss around? I’m curious about where the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers kept their morphers when they weren’t in use? They would reach behind their back and pull them out from…..where, their ass? I wanna know and the only people for the job are the Over Analyzers. Oh and the physics of Gumby. I feel tha could be a good topic too. Thanks.

• KaiGusto

August 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Why has the comments been disabled on the Cheetamen 2 video you posted on YouTube?