Con Bravo 2012: Doug & James

James / July 30th, 2012

Con Bravo was my first appearance at a gaming convention outside the USA. It took place in Burlington, Ontario, Canada. I was glad to be there. My schedule was jam-packed with interviews, panels and autograph signings, one of which was taking place at A&C Game Store in Toronto.

Unfortunately, my wife and I spent the first day sitting at the airport waiting for our flight which was delayed perpetually. Turns out, after hours and hours of waiting, the flight was straight out CANCELLED. No one was there in person to help us rebook our flights. Their customer service was shit. After waiting on hold on the phone and struggling to get any wi-fi access out of our laptop, we found out there were no more flights open until the next day. Eventually, we chose to rent a car and drive. I wasn’t going to let anyone down!

Since we missed the first day, my schedule got really crammed. Furthermore, my main panel got cancelled, because the line at the autograph signing was never-ending. Most people seemed to prefer the autograph opportunity over the panel. In fact, the whole line applauded when we announced we would be extending the signing. We obviously didn’t want to turn anyone away.

Even though my panel had to be cancelled, I got to be on a panel with Doug Walker (The Nostalgia Critic) who is really great at entertaining crowds. Here is some video of the panel. It was recorded on an iPhone and is only brief clips. The video and audio quality isn’t that great, but it was the best we could do. I almost brought my real camera, but I’m glad I didn’t try because it would have been extra luggage that I’d have to check at the airport. After the flight was cancelled, they withheld everyone’s  luggage until the following day. No, they couldn’t even unload the fucking cargo compartment and give everyone their luggage back!

The fans who came out were great! They were all very nice people and seemed truly happy to see me there. That means a lot to me. Thanks for all the positive vibes and making a stressful trip really worth it!

Now witness the first ever AVGN appearance in Canada, and the first time together with Doug at a con!

ERROR: The date was July 29, 2012. (Not June)

Comments

• MrCredibility

July 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thanks for coming up north, James! My friend Adam got a pic with you, very cool!

• July 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

it’d be awesome to go to something like this. Maybe someday. I want a picture with the nerd, man.

• J.J. McSandfarm

July 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

That looked really entertaining! And I liked the guy filming the whole thing on his 3DS.

• Devil_Rising

July 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Awesome news. So percentage wise, how’s editiing/polishing the AVGN movie coming?

• mortabius

July 30, 2012 at 9:36 pm

you guys work great together,its a shame you guys dont do more videos or crossovers!

• Claudio Paola

July 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

It was awesome seeing you, James at Con-Bravo & A&C Games. Definitely a dream come true and man, I wish you come to Canada more! You have a tremendous fan base here and people love you and I hope you noticed it cause man did we all enjoy having you here!
    Cheers James! Thanks for the best weekend ever!
    - Claudio

• Avatarass

July 30, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Are you planning on going to Canada next year?

• Fatboy

July 30, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I hope to see you next year. Just make sure you bring Mike next time. Hell I’d bet he could have his own panel by then!

• escoflip

July 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm

It was great meeting you last week, thanks for autographing my nes cartridge when you first saw it you looked really puzzled i can tell it was your first time seeing AVGN VS Dr. Wily on a cartridge.
    You should come back to canada soon!!!

• IdealIdeas991

July 30, 2012 at 10:39 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
    PLEASE!
    Come to Wisconsin or Illinois PLEASE!
    I cant travel far and I really want to meet you in person!

• IdealIdeas991

July 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm

If I ever see you, im having you autograph my 17 consoles PLUS every game I own!

• Lebeeze

July 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I am in this video LOL !! This Panel With Doug was hilarious! Thank you so much for Extending your Signing and Driving up to Canada so we could all get the chance to meet you! I have to say I was blown away by how you showed just how much you really do care about all of us!! Thanks again

• a7634

July 30, 2012 at 11:08 pm

James, thanks for signing my copy of Faxanadu, you were seriously a trooper at that con. My god you drew a crowd out for that, the whole convention seemed to be just a lineup of people waiting to see you for a few hours… thanks so much for making the trip, you are all class good sir.

• hammerhorrortexas

July 30, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Maybe you can stop in Dallas, TX while your out globetrotting. Great video!

• WyZe

July 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Hey James! Thanks for putting up with all of us at your signing! You probably had a busy schedule, so it was really nice of you to stay that extra time to get through MOST of us (because god knows that line would have never ended ). I wanted to ask you a book load of questions, but knew that you had to get through as many people as you could so I didn’t want to say too much, though I appreciate you taking the photo with me!
    Thanks again!
    ~Ryan

• starflame99

July 31, 2012 at 12:05 am

yay i am in this video I am so happy after 7hr of waiting and travel time I got my NES signed at the game store plus James blocked are car in at the hotel before he left for Toronto i didn’t want to bug him he looked in a rush. yay it was grate to see you and your wife there and by the way you looked dead tired at the game store signing trust me i was to. Bye the way i got a dvd of your stuff My new favorite movie you have done is Cinemaphobia i hope you make a sequel

• Gar

July 31, 2012 at 1:08 am

Wish I was at conbravo for the Nostalgia Critic/AVGN battle, but was too busy with getting A & C Games ready :D

• Vicky

July 31, 2012 at 1:36 am

What airline did you take? If it was AIR CANADA then that was your first mistake lol… Canadians don’t even like AIR CANADA.

Anyhoo I hope you come up again! Sans anyone else except maybe Mike. No one I know went to see Doug yet he did most of the talking!

• heejin

July 31, 2012 at 3:07 am

Oh no! All these good tim bits flying around :P I know it’s highly unlikely but it be nice if you came to Montreal :D

• SugarTill

July 31, 2012 at 3:21 am

fight fight the nerd is better

• mantrox

July 31, 2012 at 3:24 am

Well, you know what’s bullshit? Airlines!

• dillingeFOUR

July 31, 2012 at 3:35 am

James,

I am from Burlington, Ontario. I have been digging your stuff since ’07.
    I totally back your dream of being a filmmaker and I hope you enjoyed a warm response in the great white north. You’re a great filmmaker, and your legion of followers is a testament to that fact. I’ve appreciated your films and have felt privileged watching you develop your craft. However, I can’t help but voice my displeasure. The Nostalgia Critic is a hack, a completely dry and over exhausted character. He relies on a costume and a tired routine that has fallen flat since day one. To be perfectly honest; you could have sold out an audience on your own and it would have been far better. I’m sorry if he is your friend, but please don’t give this guy any more airtime. He really slowed down this (and all his own) videos.

Sorry for the criticism. You are much loved in the great white clusterfuck.

Please come again soon.

• JRock

July 31, 2012 at 4:41 am

Great to meet you James! And thanks for signing my Nintendo Controller Tattoo, you looked a little befuddled when I made the request. I just went to my tattoo artist yesterday and PERMANENTLY added your signature to what will be a whole Nintendo themed sleeve!

My wife was also happy Mrs.Nerd was there so she could give her the Cinemassacre clutch and AVGN bow she made for her. Thanks for coming up to Canada buddy, you made our year!

• RocketeerRaccoon

July 31, 2012 at 4:43 am

Oh man, I want those puppets, they look awesome. :D

• Penicks

July 31, 2012 at 5:44 am

holy shit doug is such an annoying douche. even worse than in his vids.

• strint519

July 31, 2012 at 5:48 am

James, many thanks for giving us all the pleasure of meeting you. I was in the last group of 5 for the autograph signing, the 3 plus hour wait in line was totally worth it (i got in line at just the right time). Millions of thanks for signing the only game I have ever seizured to (Shinobi – Sega Master System 3rd lvl boss), and my favorite shitty ps3 game (Hannah Montana). Much love James, hopefully you return next year.

Clint from London

• July 31, 2012 at 6:22 am

I see a box of timbits up there!! Yummy!!

• WelsonJonhson

July 31, 2012 at 8:46 am

James please the developers of Kaiju Combat are trying to get in contact with you ! They need your help to develop the game !

• wartjr2373

July 31, 2012 at 9:44 am

I do have to say that although I’m sure extending the signing three times pleased a lot of people, many people had been lined up since as early as 4:30pm to get into the Q&A. This was a separate line from the signing line. I was basically at the front of this line.

When we were told the Q&A was cancelled, we were essentially left with no AVGN that day, since it was too late to join the signing line. I found this really disappointing. I waited almost three hours in line for nothing.

The Nerd vs Critic panel was awesome though, and I want to see you back at ConBravo next year! I hear they might be expanding to Hamilton because there was too many people this year.

• Dino

July 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

Thank you James for visiting Canada!
    James signed my Mario 3 and Double Dragon III carts. I remarked that you were the only person i would let write on my childhood NES games when you signed them.
    James was nice and patient enough to take a picture with anyone who asked.

My girlfriend wanted to tell you that she really enjoys your Monster Madness and that she is looking forward to it again this October, but when it was our turn to go up to meet you she got nervous and forgot.
    I hope your trip to Canada had a positive effect on you and i hope you come back to see your friends and fans again soon.

By the way, the 3 hour line up was ok. Everyone waiting was patient and chatty.

My only question to you James is:  Where you expecting to see this many Canadian fans?

Cheers!
    -Dino from Canada

• Paula

July 31, 2012 at 11:48 am

I was suuuuper nervous but so glad I met you, James! And I think it’s awesome your wife went with and helps out with everything, too! Hope you come up again,soon!

• Keith the Genesis Geek

July 31, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I was lucky to be first in line. I had to battle with the Blue shirts to ensure the spot. I formed my own line and people followed our lead against the blue shirts! LOL!

Only had to wait 2 hours total :)

• likalaruku

July 31, 2012 at 9:28 pm

When you had the puppet fight, I kept expecting Stewart Ashens to butt in with Chef Excelence.

• Snejku

August 1, 2012 at 7:29 am

This was great, and such user friendly videos from cons and panels with the added subtitles. I really hate when video makers don’t put those in at somewhat sound distorted videos and you don’t really hear what’s being said. The nostalgia Critic and Nerd standoff that’s being going on for these past few years is a great internet meme in itself.

• Bieseger

August 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Awesome, i love shows with James and Doug together, i watched most of them and they are just so hillarious! I wish there is moooore of them. One of your fans from Czech republic!

• requounet

August 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I want to thank you for coming by in Canada. I was wondering: will you ever come in Quebec? Even if it is a French province, I’m sure there would be a lot of fans ready to meet you there, including me.

• menacexp

August 1, 2012 at 4:52 pm

what!!! I drove 14hrs to this thing from New Brunswick, Canada and the line up was forever long…so i sat and patiently waited for the panel…right before the panel was suppose to begin and the autographing was about to end…some dude came over and told me the panel was cancelled and it was too late for me to get into line to get an autograph! FML!!! 14hr drive pretty much wasted other than getting to see James hug some chick in a sailor moon outfit. UGH!! I left ConBravo and drove straight to a bar and got wasted…did not have a happy 14hr drive back the next day!

• menacexp

August 1, 2012 at 4:56 pm

…don’t get me wrong, it was still a pleasure to actually be at the event and get to see him signing autographs and taking pictures…i just wish this event was organized a little better (should have done the panel first than the autographs) and i’m a bit bitter because of the 14hr drive and not being able to meet him.
    thanx 4 coming to Canada James, i really do hope you come back and this time i’ll wait in the line no matter what

• LicaWolf

August 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm

yay! I had been waiting for a video of this panel. Thank you for the video, James!

I can’t beleive Doug saying that the Nerd vs Critic concept is completely exhausted, I mean, this panel was hysterical! For a second there I actually thought he was serious when he said there wasn’t going to be a fight and it was going to be a regular panel, and when they took the puppets out I laughed out loud and I couldn’t stop laughing during the whole fight!

Oh well, I hope there would be another crossover in the (not so distant) future. I always wanted to see Nerd and Critic reviewing some movie based on a videogame… or at least I’d love another panel with James and Doug together, because this one was hilarious (and I hope this time I would be able to attend!)

(…Also, what’s up with the girl who wants Doug to review Gummi Bears? Gummi Bears was a great cartoon :P )

• Keith the Genesis Geek

August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I just can’t believe the Blue Shirts wouldn’t let us line up officially till 3:00.

I kept telling them the line is gonna be wrapped around the building unless you think of something You have any idea who this guy is??” LOL! Finally, they realized when the line hit the front desk. lol

YOU KNOW WHAT’S BULLSHIT? HAVING TO FORM A LINE … BEFORE THE LINE! LOL!!!

It was fun. Had a blast. Thank you James!!!

• August 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm

@ menacexp

That sucks man, but at least you got out of this craphole of a province (NB) for a couple days.

• NightOfTheLiving8Bit

August 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I’M SO SICK OF ANTI-ROMNEY INSANELY BULLSHIT AD’S BEFORE EVERY.SINGLE.CINEMASSACRE VIDEO!

For real, these total bullshit Obama ad’s are making me want to blow up the white house for christ sakes.
    Terrible!!!!!!

(this is not a real threat.) haha

• NightOfTheLiving8Bit

August 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm

P.S. This was an insanely pointless video also.
    Might as well have subtitles at the very least please.

• dhylton

August 2, 2012 at 12:07 am

thanks for uploading this. looks like it was a lot of fun!

• spencerth101

August 2, 2012 at 1:29 am

con bravo was awesome i was in line for two hours be for the signing and was second in line and james was so nice hope he makes it next year

• Stefanoragnopazzo

August 2, 2012 at 8:45 am

I’m rewatching this. I want to notice stuff.

• sauriol

August 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Big props to you James im a big follower of your work and was stoked to have a chance to see you in person. Unfortunatly i had to work on Sunday but going into A&C and hearing how amazing it was a few days ago made me even more stoked to be a fan of yours. keep up the good work and stoked to see your new upcoming vids

• Stefanoragnopazzo

August 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Loucas George produces Life, James, i’ve noticed that today while eating.
    And his wikipedia page is so mysterious.

I know i does not relate to this video, but he will get it.

• TheRetroHero

August 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm

It’s good to see that they are still contacting each other every once in a while. I would LOVE to see a new crossover between the two.

• metalman

August 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm

wow. what a weekend huh. You and your wife drove all that way after waiting in the airport all day. good grief. Well thank you very much. I hope you and your wife got to have a little fun while you were here.

I was the metalman cosplayer near the end of the signing session. You looked about as tired as I was. @_@ I thank you for your persistent smile and patience.

I would also like to give out my condolence for everyone waiting for the Q&A that never happened. I don’t think the Con organizers realized just how popular James really is. Hopefully if James comes back they will be more prepared.

Keep doing what your doing James! Your the coolest nerd I know.

• showadawa

August 2, 2012 at 11:28 pm

this springboard thing dosnet alow me to watch cinemassacre videos on the ipad is this intentional to make me bye the app?

• seaweedsalad

August 3, 2012 at 11:28 am

Am I the only 1 around here you can figure out how to get this springboard video to play?

• Tom

August 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

You should come to the UK, James!

• Ben_from_G-town

August 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Wow, those puppets are awesome! I wish they were mass-produced! I want one!

• OdieMikes

August 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Fuck yeah! Throwin’ Timbits©!

• DTysonator

August 5, 2012 at 12:01 am

Puppetfest for the win! Haha those puppets look awesome, you guys should totally follow those previous requests to get them mass produced, I’d buy ‘em!

The video footage itself is much appreciated, as I didn’t get to attend this epic confrontation, unfortunately! I can’t believe that this already took place a week ago! How time flies!

Anyway, I especially like the part where James makes a nod to wrestling by getting his puppet to chug down some random beverage as he is seen battling in the audience, classic stuff, man! :)

As for the people hating on Doug, you obviously haven’t met the guy before. He’s eccentric yes (that’s what make him entertaining), but a douche? Come on now!

Doug was at A & C Games last year and was bombarded with question after question from his fans and he stayed as cool as a cucumber throughout and even played some video games with some of them afterwards as well!

I doubt that James would be good friends with Doug if he were really a douche. Having met both of these guys, I can state that they’re equally awesome in their own ways.

At the end of the day, they both go the extra mile to please their fans, showing us all how much they truly care. What more could you ask for?

• OgreNerd

August 6, 2012 at 5:09 am

there oot of there mines

• BloodyThunderX

August 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Wow. I’m still amazed on having been there myself and seeing how awesome both you and Doug were!

For anyone wondering, it was ME who asked about if the Nerd ever wrecked any of his cartridges or games ((I wanted to say games, but cartridges came into my mind first seeing how many of the Nerd’s reviews are a cartridge game.)) .

I also came on later and thanked them for making some of the most awesome videos on the interwebs in the 21st century! It is true guys, James and Doug makes fantastic comedy and entertaining videos, and I always tune in to see what they have that’s new!

Questions that I also asked but were not put into this video.

To Doug: Why did the “Bat Credit Card” scene in Batman and Robin stick out so much to you?

To Doug: Have you ever seen “Freddy Got F*******”? ((Crowd reaction stopped me there, and I had to tell the guy holding the mic that “IT’S NOT BAD!”)). I would’ve also added “..If so, would you ever make a review of it, due to it’s mixed opinion on whether being horrible, or being a cult favourite?” ((Eventually I found out that Lindsay Ellis, also known as the Nostalgia Chick, had already reviewed the film, so I made myself look like an idiot after the event was over.))

To James: Has a game company ever asked you to provide a voice role for a character?

Anyways, thanks for the awesome time!

• August 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm

that’s fucking hilarious XD EPIC PUPPET BATTLE!

• deathbyzombie

August 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

this totally sucks. i had no idea you were going to be 10 mins from my house
    ive always told the wife i would see you live one day. and i missed my chance…she totally hates you by the way lol….prob cause for 3 years it was avgn everyday all day

is there a scheduale of where you will be attending that i missed on the site? i bought her an avgn t shirt for xmas last year and told her it was a gift to put all other gifts to shame…she was so excited to get it for like 5 months and i totally need you to sign it

• August 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm

You should have your own World Tour called Angry Video Game Nerd Live! Come and Get Angry! Coming to Hotel Convention Centers Near You!

• stam50

August 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm

JAMES ROOLF YOU PLAY LOT OF FAKING SHIT ASS GAMES BUT I FACK YOU TO PLAY GTA 1 AND 2 ON PLAYSTION1 AND FOR SHITTY BOUNES DO A REVIWE ON NEO GEO
    BAD WORDS JOKE
    REVIWIE DEAD FAKING SEROS
    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH
    PS: IAM YOUR #1 FAN

• showadawa

August 10, 2012 at 1:18 am

how do you watch this springboard thing on mobi
    e

• NerdyJello

August 12, 2012 at 8:58 am

Thanks for coming out to ConBravo! The day you were signing was actually my birthday. Between you extending the signing session and Lyndsey Ellis, you both made my bday awesome and memorable.

We all wanted to see your panel but for a chance to get an autograph from you who hadn’t come up to canada, I don’t think anyone was overly disappointed plus we did get to see you in other panels with channel awesome and stuff.

My bf and I saw you rushing around even on the last day to get to a&c games and I’d just like you to know that we really appreciated all your hard work for that weekend. Thanks Again!

• August 17, 2012 at 9:53 am

hey james hows my super mario bros art drawing doing?

• Hawkear

August 30, 2012 at 8:40 am

Come to Canada anytime, we love you here, i hope you visit somewhere closer next time, although i do live in Ontario.

• Carson Shover

May 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I want a picture with at least one of them sometime in my lifetime.

• February 10, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I really liked the unexpected puppet battle of the Nerd and Critic. I like both the Nerd and the Critic (but a Little more to the Nerd since I like more video games than movies), I like both of them and hope to see both of you together in a new video or crossover after the AVGN Movie soon but I must really meet you in person James. I just want to meet you in person. I will in the next Magfest.