Save Thundercats, AVGN video subtitles help & other news

Mike / June 22nd, 2012

Save the new Thundercats TV series before it’s canceled.

Cartoon Network has been bringing back some of our favorite shows in recent months. Not long ago, Cartoon Planet was revived. It’s great to see Brak again. He’s been gone too long.

A while back we did a review of the original Thundercats 80s cartoon and made mention of the new series before it aired.

Since then, we’ve been following the new series, and it’s a really cool show. They have done justice to the old series by giving it a fresh spin and keeping true to the original themes which made it so great. One episode of the new series I really enjoyed was where Mumm-ra annihilated an entire galaxy killing billions of people to create the Sword of Plun-Darr. Which he planned to use to kill even more people! Don’t fuck with Mumm-ra!

Well, sadly, the show hasn’t been pulling the ratings it needs to stay on the air, even though it’s a good show, and now it’s in danger of being canceled. Follow the link below and sign the petition to keep this rad series from being canceled.

Sign the SAVE THUNDERCATS petition

Another thing that could probably help is to pick up the new “Thundercats Season 1 – Book 2” DVD.

Maybe if the sales increase they’ll think twice about canceling the show.

With so much garbage on television these days, lets all do what we can to save one of the few shows worth watching.

AVGN YouTube Playlist (finally!)

For many years, fans have been asking us to create a YouTube playlist for the AVGN episodes. Since YouTube has updated, now we’re able to do it the way we wanted. So at long last, here’s the official AVGN YouTube episode playlist!

Click here to like the AVGN YouTube Episode Playlist

So be sure and “like” the playlist and subscribe to our YouTube channel while you’re at it!

AVGN Episode Subtitles

Speaking of YouTube, here’s another important update. For many years people have been asking us to subtitle the AVGN episodes and other Cinemassacre videos into different languages. We have always wanted to make that available, and now finally we’ve found a way. But we need your help!

YouTube has a feature where you can upload .SRT files to a video, which will create a transcript below the video.

As an example, please check out the AVGN: Sega 32X video at the link below

Click here and check out the TRANSCRIPTS for AVGN Sega 32X

If you click the transcript button below the video, you can see that as of right now we have it available in Spanish and German. Thanks to some great fans, we were able to add Spanish transcripts for most of the AVGN videos. But there’s still a long way to go!

We need subtitles done in all the other languages.

We have created a forum for AVGN subtitles. This is to make it easy to see who is working on what. Please check out the forum if you are interested in doing subtitles for Cinemassacre videos.

Thanks!

We appreciate all your help!

Fan Art Update

We have added new pictures to the Fan Art section. Gallery 4    Gallery 5

Send fan art to [email protected]

Interview with Mike

Also, check out this short interview with Mike

retrospekt.com.au

Comments

• Branden798

June 22, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Sweeeeeeet!

• Paul Dower

June 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm

• Spottedfeather

June 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I hope the new Thundercats show IS cancelled. It’s nothing compared to the original. It sucks as bad as the most recent TMNT show from 2003.

• korahn

June 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I would watch Thundercats on TV, but a) my viewings don’t count in the ratings and b) we don’t have it here in Canada.

• gamerz

June 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm

boo

• gamerz

June 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I sure as hell hope Michael Bay doesn’t touch this franchise. He’s already going to fuck up tmnt. That sonofabitch

• June 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Those great fans who translated every single AVGN episode, every “You know what’s bullshit” episode, a few Board James episodes and a few other videos into Spanish,.. that would be me.

• fob911

June 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm

“With so much garbage on tv these days…”

I couldn’t agree more. Kids shows are just not what they used to be. Stupid shit like How To Rock and iCarly on Nickelodeon are really killing kids shows. I just wish they’d re-air old shows. Thundercats is actually one of the best kids shows I’ve seen in a while. Although I only watched one episode, it was some intense shit. I’ll gladly sign the petition.

• June 22, 2012 at 8:45 pm

There is a reason why the new ThunderCats will be cancelled. That’s because it sucked. It was confusing, there was hardly any connection to the original series, and the animation was godawful. I will not support saving it. It needs to die and be forgotten.

• fob911

June 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm

One more thing.

About the interactive transcripts, if youtube is even able to make this sort of thing, why can’t it be superimposed on the video? They have the time codes! That’s great. You have to watch the video and read the words underneath it at the same time. You can’t even go fullscreen. Thank God I speak fluent English. Maybe Youtube will come to senses one day.

• June 22, 2012 at 9:05 pm

@fob911
    Hi there.
    You CAN actually see them superimposed on the video as subtitles. Simply click on the CC button to configure the font, size and colour you want them in. Make sure that the option “Show subtitles” is also checked within your Youtube profile options.

• marc_lawson

June 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Mike and James, you guys are good to your fans! Thank you!

• GeniusAmongMorons

June 22, 2012 at 9:21 pm

“I really hope the new Thundercats show isn’t cancelled, while I have only seen bits and pieces of the old show the new one is awesome!”

“Although I only watched one episode, it was some intense shit. I’ll gladly sign the petition.”

We need a petition to change the way ratings are configured. If the success of a show was determined by how many people sign a petition for it, rather than actually watching it, then Thundercats would be in no danger.

• June 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Quick note about the YouTube playlist. You may want to reverse the order of the episodes otherwise everyone will end up watching them backwards!

• otakufan217

June 22, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I might not have cable but i had a friend who did and i saw the first few episodes of the new thundercats series and i checked out the whole old series now while i am a child raised on the 2000 era of cartoons i have a deep respect for the older series as they inspire new series and being that i saw the new thundercats i have to say that it reminds me a lot of teen titans in the fact that they both took on a more anime like look and were both great adaptations of the old series and the new thundercats was great with well done and enjoyable fights and some really good characters and enviroments besides the old series is great but from the comments i gather that some people have their nostalgia hats on way too tight relax it’s an adaptation of an older series that pays its respects to the source and is for a newer generation of people

• June 23, 2012 at 1:10 am

hmmm…I’ll think about it. I don’t watch Thundercats at all (I wasn’t even born yet when the original show was on) but I can tell for that one screen shot that this show is a shit tone better than CN’s current top rating show, Retard Time, I mean Adventure Shit, I mean Holy Mother of Fucking Christ Adventure Time is the most godawful waste of existence ever to be conceived my human hands…so any Cartoon Network show that isn’t just cartoonists showing off how much shrooms they can take in one sitting is worth saving.

• paisan13

June 23, 2012 at 4:06 am

Signed the petition even tho I don’t live in the US. It’s a good show that deserves to go on. But sadly we all saw what happened to Avatar The Last Airbender, that was a popular series and they canceled it, well it has continued in a new form, but thats not the same thing.

• coolman756

June 23, 2012 at 5:50 am

I signed the petition as well. Nice to see that there’s finally a YouTube playlist, too. I’ll be working on french subtitles on my spare time during this summer. If everything goes well, I think the first 50 episodes can be done by early September.

June 23, 2012 at 8:07 am

I’ll subtitle the episodes of the AVGN in Dutch, if that’s okay to you.

• Snejku

June 23, 2012 at 10:06 am

Good interview.

• lucas

June 23, 2012 at 11:32 am

@paisan13 what!??? Avatar wasn’t cancelled it just ended. Then The legend of Korra is the sequel.

• June 23, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Mike, remember what I told you in one of our e-mail exchanges?

This guy wrote subtitles for the whole AVGN series in Italian:

Maybe you should try getting in touch with him.

Regards,
    Juanako25 (Juan, the Spanish translator)

• vonky

June 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I could subtitle the AVGN videos in Swedish, if that’s okay with you.
    It will probably take a week or two for all the episodes, but it’ll be done in the near future.

• TheProfessor

June 23, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Mike,

I have been working with subtitles for quite a while as I am an English teacher in Brazil and it is something that just comes up from time to time and a good skill to have. Regarding the time codes, you are mistaken when you say the “time codes would be different because some things take longer to say.”

Subtitles are read, not spoken and one can read in a tenth of the time what one can say. The subtitles are time coded for who is speaking in the video, not who is reading. For example, if James says something that takes 3 seconds to say, then you would have 3 seconds to read it regardless of how long it takes to read in the translated language, because immediately after that James would say something else. If the time codes were extended it would run into the next phrase causing everything to be out of sync.

I just think you should give us possible volunteers the time codes as an option as it would make the job much MUCH easier. I can translate a 20 minute episode of the Simpsons in about 2 hours with the time codes, but without it could take 5 or 6 hours. Not to mention, time coding is just a pain in the ass whereas only translating can actually be an enjoyable experience.

Just a suggestion.

• TheProfessor

June 23, 2012 at 11:45 pm

^Thanks. Seems you guys are good on Dutch, Spanish, and a few other big ones. I’ll be working on Brazilian Portuguese.

• Ty Hope

June 23, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I could do the Japanese subtitles if still needed. Its what I do for a living.

• Noah_D

June 24, 2012 at 1:37 am

Good luck on the subtitles. I’m sure it will introduce a lot of people to the AVGN and Cinemassacre and make it incredibly convenient for the fans who don’t know much english.

• Ashton

June 24, 2012 at 1:58 am

Hey Mike!

Long time fan, first time poster.

I am fluent in Chinese, and can try doing Chinese translations if you guys don’t mind a slow work output. 😛

• June 24, 2012 at 2:03 am

@Ashton

Sounds good. We’re looking for all languages, so send them along. Thanks!

• TheKopex

June 24, 2012 at 4:25 am

Well as a fluently speaking swede, I could help translating some episodes into Swedish.

• vonky

June 24, 2012 at 5:22 am

@TheKopex

I was also going to start translating the episodes into swedish, and for not doing work in vein, we should decide whom does what episodes etc.
    Maybe 50-50?
    Waiting to hear your opinion.

• TheKopex

June 24, 2012 at 5:45 am

@vonky

Maybe we can do something like: I do 1-10 and you do 11-20 etc.
    I currently started little on the Karate Kid episode. Tell me also how you would like to do.

• June 24, 2012 at 5:47 am

Tomorrow, i’ll see if i can give a hand with French subtitles.

• June 24, 2012 at 6:18 am

I have experience with translating, I can help you for the French subtitles.

• vonky

June 24, 2012 at 6:32 am

@TheKopex

That sounds good, we can do like you said, you can do 1-10, 21-30, 41-50 etc. I could also do the ones from 100 and up if that’s okay with you…

June 24, 2012 at 6:53 am

It takes 1.5 – 2 hours for me to do one (basic) episode. I guess I’ll have all the episodes finished in Dutch before the end of the Summer vacation.

June 24, 2012 at 6:54 am

I just finished episode 1, castlevania 2: simon’s quest.

• conspiricy

June 24, 2012 at 7:06 am

Check out the opening I made for the new thundercats on youtube here: /watch?v=UV46r5gwr1E

• coolman756

June 24, 2012 at 7:14 am

@Archvile78, Gaucelm: I’ve already done subtitles for the first 4 episodes and am currently working on the fifth one, but it sure would be better to get some help. Rather than having each person working separately, what about uniting? It would be more productive and the quality of the subtitles could only be better. We just need a way to communicate efficiently. Any ideas? AIM, MSN, Skype…? I don’t mind.

• Codric

June 24, 2012 at 7:50 am

Is someone already working on the German subtitles? Otherwise I would do this. I just started with the first episode, so I hope no one made them already. ^^”

June 24, 2012 at 8:49 am

Question for James or Mike: do you want all the .SRT in one e-mail or can I send them separately?

• Crystalchild

June 24, 2012 at 9:26 am

submitted a german sub for the first Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

if no one has started working on german subs yet, i might be tempted to do a whole lot more of them, depending on if my fellow germans like the first one of course

June 24, 2012 at 9:50 am

@Crystalchild, read the comment of Codric.

• TheKopex

June 24, 2012 at 9:57 am

@ vonky

That sounds great then.

• Fred . Fuchs

June 24, 2012 at 9:57 am

I’m going to make the italian subtitles.

• Crystalchild

June 24, 2012 at 10:19 am

@metalcommand:
    alright then, if he gets bored, i’ll take over.
    otherwise, i’ll just enjoy and rate his work.

=)

• June 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

@Fred . F***s

There already exists an Italian translation of the AVGN with amazing quality. In fact, back when Screwattack allowed people to upload videos I remember seeing two versions of it.

It goes without saying that doing this properly is very hard work and you don’t get any compensation for it other than making other people happy, so it’s always a good idea to organise yourselves well to avoid duplicates.

• cobaltnightsky

June 24, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hi guys

will be doing some french srt’s

Archvile78, Gaucelm, if you want to contact me to avoid redundant job … 🙂

• coolman756

June 24, 2012 at 10:51 am

@cobaltnightsky

Don’t forget me. Check my post on the previous page. It would indeed be nice to work together. Now we just need a way to communicate.

June 24, 2012 at 10:55 am

By the way; German is already done for the most part. Read the article.

• June 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm

So Spanish and Italian are mostly done. At least for the AVGN episodes. We still need other Cinemassacre videos done in those languages.

I updated the zip file on Rapidshare to include all the new translations I’ve received so far.

Would be cool if someone could do subtitles for Top 10 Obscure NES Gems and the Game Glitches.

• Lafar

June 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm

It would be great to have some site to see who is doing what and what is already translated. Another thing is – maybe english subs? It’s not only HoH but also a great reference for people who want to learn some new vocabulary, practice listening skills, check spelling… I will try to do some subs in polish and send them to Mikes mail. Cheers!

• Lpoeser

June 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

@metalcommand: I could take some of the work on Dutch translations off your hands if you like.

I defeintely agree with Lafar that there should be a reference on what is done and what is being worked on. With all the videos and all the different languages, it’s going to be chaotic mess.

• June 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I agree with Lafar.

Maybe it would come in handy to have a little section here on the site where you give us a list of videos that still need translating, and next to them you can write who will be translating them and in what language.

In that way, anyone can at a glance see what nobody is working on yet and you avoid duplicates, which is very important.

That is the kind of system which our team of Spanish translators uses with Nostalgia Critic’s videos and it works really well.

• June 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

If you download the file I provided, you can see what’s already done.

June 24, 2012 at 2:00 pm

@Lpoeser,
    While I thank you for the kind gesture, I’m going steady right now. I’m doing 10 episodes a day so I’ll be done in 10 days (aproximately). Also, I think uniformity in subtitles in one language is important. Dutch can be interprated in many ways (Fries, Limburgs, Gronings, Zeeuws etc.) so it’ll be difficult to work together on such a project.

However, if you insist on a cooperation because you like to translate, We can split the episodes (I’ll sub from 1 – 50 and you from 51 – 100). Let me know when you have an idea.

• June 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That’s right, Mike, but you can’t see what people are working on currently.

For example, I could decide to translate your Top 10 Nes Obscure games video because I know it’s not done yet, but three other people might have the same idea and none of us would know.

That’s a 20 minute video, which to be done properly, would take about four hours of work to translate and write subtitles for. You can only use one of them, so three people will have wasted a lot of time unnecessarily; time which they could be using translating a different video.

You could always get someone to do it for you, if you think it’s gonna be too much work.

• Lpoeser

June 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm

@metalcommand: Well, the main reason I offered was because you mentioned the end of the summer vacation, and I forgot how short that was in the Netherlands. Our vacation lasts for 2 months, so I thought I’d offer to help to finish them more quickly.

I’m Belgian, and half my family is Dutch, so I’m well aware of regional language differences.

That said, I don’t insist on sharing the work, especially since you seem to be doing very well.

June 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

@LPoeser
    Well, I’m a teacher so I have a normal summer vacation. I’m a very fast writer, so that’s why I’m going so fast.

Still, thank you for your offer. 🙂

• coolman756

June 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I agree with Lafar and most of the people above me. It’s going to be an enormous mess otherwise…

I’ve already been involved in this kind of project in the past (a fan base making subtitles in many different languages for one same thing) and we just set up a forum (using a free service) with different sections, one per language.

We could totally do that, there would be a main section for each series (AVGN, Board James, Mike’s Game Glitches, etc.), in which there would be one section per language, in which there would be one topic per episode/video. What do you think?

If you’re all okay with that I can set up a forum right now.

June 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I agree with Lafar. I’m going to be pissed if I’m done and suddenly, someone else has also translated it into Dutch. I would’ve done all the work for nothing. Just make a checklist with the languages and who (username) is translating them at the moment.

• June 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm

This is what we do in the Spanish community with Nostalgia Critic:

Just a list of every video in chronological order and next to them the name of the person who will translate it. It works really well and it’s very, very simple and straight-forward.

• sup_vic

June 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Hey, I can make Portuguese subs, but I can’t read those languages that we have as a model, maybe when there are more english ones I’ll be able to help with the Portuguese ones :3

• Lafar

June 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Well, this is how I would organize it:
    1) Set up a site with a table (MySQL maybe?) which could be sorted and filtered + search engine. This would require us to make a full list of all videos on this site. Videos without translation (in a particular language) would be automatically colored red; those with ‘work in progress’ would be colored blue; those which are done – green. Each entry would also have a clickable link to a video.
    2) First thing to do for each video would be to make subs in English. This would be a great reference for all translators and it would provide time stamps for all other SRT files.
    3) Set up a forum with subforums for each language. In those subforums, people would organize official translation groups with correctors and translators. People would work in pairs – one translator and one guy doing correction of the text and making a SRT file. After that he/she would post this file in a separate topic for the whole group to comment on. After about a week, and after agreeing that everything is okay, the translation would be published.
    4) After having clear notion who’s working on translations systematically and who’s really good at it, people from each group would be chosen to work on AVGN the Movie subtitles. Those subtitles would be later on included DVD/Blu release making the movie more available to wider audiences.
    Translating all of the stuff on CineMassacre would be an amazingly big project but it is possible. After some practice even news could be translated into several languages, making CineMassacre a multilanguage site.

• June 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I don’t know how I can handle who’s doing what. If you guys want to organize that, go right ahead. I have videos that need to be edited so I can’t spend all my time trying to organize that.
    If someone can find a way to organize all that, it would be really helpful.

Oh, for now I’d say just stick to putting subtitles on the gaming content. We’ll think about doing movie reviews later.

• Ben_from_G-town

June 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the Thundercats petition! I had no idea there was a chance of it getting canceled. I love the new show, so I’ve just gone and signed the petition.

• June 24, 2012 at 6:02 pm

@Lafar
    I don’t think it needs to be that complicated.

What’s already done is easy to see. And to see what’s going to be done, all you really need is have one person being notified and updating a list. Something like this:

– Top 10 obscure NES games:
    will be done in Spanish by ….

Game Glitches 2:
    will be done in French by ….

etc etc.

So if it’s not on the list, nobody is doing it, unless of course, it’s done already, in which case you’ll easily see it just by looking at the video.

• Lafar

June 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

@Juanako25 I know what you mean – but without some hierarchy it will be a mess. Some people will say ‘Hi! I’m doing *some language* translation of episodes 19-45’ and never say a word again. That way those episodes will stay booked for an insane amounts of time, not allowing anyone else to translate them. Another thing is that Mike cannot know or check if a translation is error-free or even accurate. Then someone will notice mistakes, try to improve on them and send his version. Then another person will spot something wrong. And it will go on and on and on… Allowing translations to be checked is also minimizing the possibility of errors and mistakes in the text.
    It’s great to talk this through, I think that together we will come up with some awesome solution that will be appealing to everybody.

• Jessyfaulkner

June 24, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I just signed the petition and I am inviting friends on my facebook page who are other Thundercats fans to sign as well. Hope this helps! =)

• jamesf

June 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Very good interview. I can’t believe how quickly some people assumed that Mike was to blame for the subscriber loss on YouTube (something I didn’t even know about)… I think his videos are really well done, and I had wondered what had happened to the “Motherfuckin’ Monday” name. Keep up the good work, Mike.

• scronan

June 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Mike,

Very cool on the YT playlist…awesome!

But regarding the new Thundercats…so sorry man, but I have to bow out of the petition. Completely respect, as always, all that you and James have done and continue to do, but I couldn’t stand the Thundercats reboot for many reasons that I won’t go into here.

In any event, people have differing opinions is part of life, so best of luck with your efforts. 😉

June 25, 2012 at 2:29 am

@sup_vic,

Those subs are just for the timing. You’ll have to listen to what the AVGN says at that moment and translate it into Portuguese. I can’t Portuguese, yet I use the Spanish subs for the timing. It’s saves a LOT of time using these subs!

June 25, 2012 at 2:45 am

Sorry, I meant: I can’t read/speak Spanish but still I use the Spanish subs.

• Fred . Fuchs

June 25, 2012 at 5:21 am

The best thing to do would be that every translator puts his email and language, then Mike writes the complete list in the news at the beginning: after that, the translators of the same language will contact each other.

• sup_vic

June 25, 2012 at 10:45 am

I thought it would be easier for everyone if we had a perfect english model to right over. For timing and even grammar purposes :3

• June 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hi all,

I’ve been given the contact details from those of you who have shown interest in getting involved translating Cinemassacre’s videos. I’ll get in touch as soon as I have the time to start working out how we can get all of us working together.

Greetings,
    Juan (the Spanish translator).

• cobaltnightsky

June 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

for french people, if you are interested, drop me a mail at

french[dot]avgn[dot]srt[arobase]gmail[dot]com

• IdeaOfEvil

June 25, 2012 at 9:11 pm

As I understand it, the show is very popular and pulls in strong ratings. What happened was that Bandai messed up and the entire toyline run for the new show was ruined from the get go with cheap materials, poor paint jobs, and terrible prices. So, without the revenue coming in from that end of the franchise, the show is being cancelled. I mean, what good has a cartoon show ever been without a toyline to back it up? (insert sarcasm here)

What’s sad is that Mattel was very close to making the toys, cuz they’ve done so well with the Master of the Universe Classics line. But they insisted on only wanting to do the classic show toys which then gave Bandai the number one spot to make the new show toys and ruin the show with their poor marketing strategy.

Oh well =/

• June 26, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thanks!

June 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

@Mike,

As I’ve already mailed you, the Dutch subs at AVGN ep. 2 are German instead of Dutch.

• Carnage_studios

June 27, 2012 at 2:01 am

What might really help, on the ThunderCats 2011 front is an email to Cartoon Network. The best contact information I’ve found so far is here. http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/feedback/index.html I’ll be sure to update if I find a better address to send to.

• June 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm

@Feralthen

It would be ideal if you registered in the forum, because all SRT files need to be sent to me.

Regards

• elcalvo

June 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm

There are things in James videos that are very funny in English, but are difficult to translate keeping the humor on them. I’m not an expert in the field but for instance, “The Angry Video Game Nerd”, it doesn’t work very well when you translate it literally to Spanish (too many words, and you need more words to join concepts). Or “You know what’s bullshit”, that’s a very american way to refer to things that suck I think. I think maybe you should take this into consideration for the title of the movie, if you want to translate the title into different languages.

• prequarius

July 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I haven’t gotten passed episode 17 or so due to the fact that i thought it was already cancelled back in October of ’11. If they wants a broader audience or better ratings, then move the show to a later time or show more commercials for the series. What ever happened to toonami? That run was great. Anyways, here’s to hoping this petition works.

• July 2, 2012 at 11:37 pm

@prequarius

I’ve seen every episode released so far. Overall it’s been fantastic with a few throwaway episodes here and there. I just want to see this show get one more season and then I’d be satisfied.

• the shadow gamer

July 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm

the thunder cats is a great show and if this works to save the show lets try to bring back a cancelled show just like how people brought back family guy after it was cancelled lets bring back megas xlr

• Veio

July 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Seriosly, why every American cartoon needs to be “anime-like”? Can’t we have our own style? There is Ultimate Spiderman and Tron Uprising for example which are far more creative than just stamping these “oh so kawaii” eyes to every goddamn character.
    This is just bullshit.

• Amykins

July 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

A good friend of mine is the voice actor for Panthro, so it kind of sucks to hear about this. I don’t have cable but if this is just about toy sales, fuck, I’ll go buy a whole case of ’em.

• Amykins

July 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

@ Veio: Um, the reason for that is because all of the animation for GOOD shows these days is done in KOREA AND JAPAN. No one here in the U.S. gives nine shits about high quality hand-drawn animation anymore, it’s all CG. So it has to be outsourced.

• Sardaukar Prime

July 8, 2012 at 6:57 am

As somebody who followed religiously the original Thundercats back in the day,I can honestly say that I hope the series gets CANNED. I’m sorry,but what they did with some of the characters (specially and particularly Tygra) is rightdown criminal. The original cast of Thundercats were all Lion-O’s friends who served as his teachers first and his loyal comrades later. Here they are a ragtag Scooby Doo band who begrudgily follows this kid for whom they have zero respect. And that is what kills me with this series, that I want Lion-O to kick the living shit out of Tygra & Co more than I want him to beat the villains (whom,let’s be honest,they suck a big fat cocksickle compared to the old series). How WRONG is that?

Don’t get me wrong,the animation is good and the series started off strong (the episode with the Petalars was the best),but then slowly but surely the stories began to degrade and then they introduced that (universally maligned) unnessesary love “triangle” and the series continuity went down the crapper.

No,best let this series be remembered as a footnote like that 1990 version of He-Man (that Mike should review one of these days) and cherish the memories of the 80s classic..

• binaryfruit

July 15, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Buddy: Hahaha, do another one!
    Me: Es ist schelbe.
    Buddy: Hahaha! Where did you learn to speak German?
    Me: I didn’t. All I know how to do is slam old video games in German, and I learned from the Nerd.

• July 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I’m just so sick of remakes and reboots of everything from my youth.

It’s more than that just feel they’re tarnishing a legacy and plundering my childhood memories, it’s that they can’t think of anything new.

These writers and producers are getting paid to re-purpose something that didn’t need re-purposing. If they want to show the kids today some Thundercats, show them the originals and drop all pretenses that you feel a reboot with re-written characters is necessary.

They’ve taken G.I.Joe, Thundercats, He-Man, Transformers, and Ninja Turtles… and basically made proverbial snuff films out of them… because Generation X is in charge of the companies now and they can’t leave well enough alone.

• Sardaukar Prime

July 17, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Word from the San Diego Comic Con is that the news series is can-canned. Sorry,Mike. But it was probably for the best.

• July 26, 2012 at 4:15 am

That’s not what I heard at all. I hear there will indeed be a second season. Not only that, but there’s also a Thundercats Nintendo DS game coming in September.

• doomgrip

August 18, 2012 at 8:46 am

So nobody is interested in doing English subtitles for the hearing impaired?