AVGN MOVIE FAQ 2.0

James / June 1st, 2012

Status on the film?
Principle photography took place in the Los Angeles area between April 1st and May 13, 2012, meaning everything with the main cast and crew are done. Several pickup shots and entire scenes have been shooting on the East Coast ever since, mainly special effects shots and shots we didn’t have time to get in LA. Editing has also been underway. A rough cut exists, but needs lots of work. There is a ton of VFX work needed, which is just beginning.

How will it be released?
We don’t know yet. We will most likely book some theaters, film festivals and cons to show it at, and then it will eventually come to DVD (and Blu-ray). Many have requested online digital downloads. That is a possibility as well.

Will it be available in the UK, Germany, etc…
Yes, we want it to be available for everyone to see. Even if we can’t guarantee live screenings all around the world, the DVD’s (Blu-rays) will be international.

Will there be a Blu-Ray release?
It was shot in HD, so it makes perfect sense to release it on Blu-Ray. I have no experience in that, so I’m not aware of the technicalities or the cost. As long as it’s manageable when the time comes, we’ll do it. Actually, it would be awesome to release it on Laserdisc, or better yet, CED. I bet we’d have the top selling CED of the year!

When will it be done?
We have no idea. As long as it takes. There’s a lot of work left to do. If I try to guess a date, I’ll only be jinxing myself.

Is there a way the fans can petition to get the movie into major theaters worldwide?
After the movie’s done, I’ll let you know.

What will it be rated?
If it were to be rated, I’d assume it would be R for language.

Aspect ratio?
2.35:1

How long will it be?
According to the script, it will be approximately 2 hours, and the rough cut also reflects that, but until we have a final edit, we are only guessing.

Plot details?
We don’t want to spoil much, but the storyline revolves around the true story of the E.T. Atari 2600 game. Due to poor sales and overproduction, millions of copies of the game were said to have been buried in a desert landfill. It’s earned a reputation as the “worst game of all time” and has been said to be a leading cause of the video game crash of 1983. The 30th anniversary of the game is coming upon us and we just wanted to lampoon the game and celebrate it’s infamy. What better character to be the center of this than the Angry Video Game Nerd?

Why shoot in LA?
I have many friends/ connections there. It rains too much on the East Coast, making filming unpredictable. And we needed to shoot in some specific landscapes.

Cast?
Without going through the entire cast, here are a few of the lead players.
Jeremy Suarez
Sarah Glendening
Stephen Mendel
Helena Barrett
Time Winters

Will the Nerd review any games in the movie?
The short answer is Yes, but remember it’s a movie. Not a 2 hour AVGN episode. There’s game reviews in it, but that’s not the whole thing.

Why does the Nerd wear thicker glasses in the film?
I decided on slight alterations to the Nerd’s costume to differentiate the movie from the episodes, sort of like on Star Trek where the uniforms in the movies looked different than on the show.

How many nerd shirts were used during filming?
3 and still counting.

How much CG and animatronics will be used?
There is an animatronic character and a “suit” character as well as model vehicles and other cheesy in-camera effects. There will be also be several CG effects. It will have a very campy B-movie feel.

Will Mike Matei be in the movie?
There’s no actual plans for him to be in it, but that’s because I know I don’t have to try. He’ll end up in the movie naturally somehow. I bet it’ll happen.

Will Kyle Justin be in the movie?
We’re going to fit him in somewhere as a nod to the series.

Are the Nerd episodes referenced in the movie? Will we see recurring guest characters? Does the movie treat the episodes as canon, as part of the same universe?
There are some minor references to the Nerd episodes scattered throughout the movie, but there’s no explicit connections. It’s the same way one Nerd episode relates to another. Most episodes can be looked at as their own thing or connected together as anyone pleases. The same with the movie.

Any plans for a sequel?
We’ll have to wait for the first one to get done before we can consider that.

Here’s a great article about the experiences working on the AVGN Movie.

Comments

• 16mmshrine

June 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm

If possible, def try and show it at New York Comic Con, 2nd highest attendance in US for a con. Also it’s still relatively cheap to get the passes and so forth to host a panel and screen something. I’m assuming October would be a stretch but there’s always next year

• Paul Dower

June 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Dear James,
    I live in New Milford, and the only two theaters closest to me are; The Bank Street Theater (in my hometown) and the Danbury Lowes Theater, and there arent any cons that I know of close enough for me to make it worth my while. Could you possibly release a list of theaters you may show your movie at once its finished? Thanks!

• yah7th

June 1, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Awesome! :) Can’t wait. (✌゚∀゚)☞

• leightonandoff

June 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Me too. I’m sure it’s gonna be fantastic!

• moogic

June 1, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Nice cast!

Time Winters is an awesome name.

• ITS ALIVE!!!!!

June 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm

If you decide to show it at some theatres or comic cons in Canada since its right next door, try to book one at the comiccon at Montreal we would love to watch the nerd on the big screen!

• russiancthulhu

June 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm

You’d better come to Russia !
    There’s thousands of fans here waiting for your movie!

Also, I wonder if Kevin Finn had a cameo. His Ninja was fucking hilarious!

• angryrider

June 1, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I think it will be quite expensive for you to release the movie on Blu-Ray, Mr. Rolfe. Isn’t there a high licensing cost or something involved with it?

But good luck finding a venue for the HD streaming.

• kojirou

June 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm

This FAQ is amazing. Thanks for the update, James.

About the download release, I think it’s a really good option. As a fan, though (and I’m sure you’ll agree with me on this), I’d rather have the DVD or Blu-ray edition if that one was a special edition that came with a booklet or extras or something, I don’t know.

I’d love to have both myself. One copy on my computer to watch in HD and the other one for the extras and physical goodies that might come with it.

I’m from Barcelona, so I really don’t expect a release here because I know it would be difficult. But I’m psyched about the Blu-ray! (I can’t go back to DVDs now, sorry :( ).

PS: Summer 2013?? Man, we’ll die waiting. I’m sure a teaser trailer would be enough for now, lol.

• Eltanin

June 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’m burning with hype and anticipation for this movie :D

• June 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

2.35:1? Blu-ray?
    AWESOME

• June 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Definitely release it on laser disc! Then I could watch your movie on the Pioneer Laseractive!

• HoopyHobo

June 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Super pedantic question here, but you say you shot in HD. What resolution do you really mean by that? HD usually means 1920×1080, but I’m assuming that’s not what you actually shot in since your aspect ratio is wider than that. I’m just super curious and a little obsessed about resolutions and aspect ratios. (Also frame rates, but I’m guessing you just went with 24p)

• Damonoxide

June 1, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I have a friend that works at The Alamo Draft House (A movie theater that serves beer!) here in San Antonio. I’m sure I could help get your movie booked there! :)

• BMovieBen

June 1, 2012 at 6:15 pm

if its in theaters in Canada I will go ape shit im a huge fan.

• LicaWolf

June 1, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you for the answers, James. I’m hoping for an online digital download myself.

• June 1, 2012 at 6:22 pm

VHS!!!

• thegreat81

June 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm

It would be great if Motherfucker Mike died in the movie.

Then came back as…Zombie Mike? Super Mecha Death Mike 2000?

• scronan

June 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for the update…sounds fucking awesome! I hope the Nerd at least gets to tell those hot actress ladies to TAKE THEIR DAMN CLOTHES OFF! ^_^

• June 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Here is a question I could pose. Will Kyle Justin be in the movie? He did create the theme song to the series and played some key parts in several episodes; I do think it only fitting. I hope you can get it done by the end of the year. I’m really looking forward to the movie’s release, James. Keep going, James, you’re almost there! : )

• Magnum66

June 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Damn, this is making me even more excited for the movie, which I definitely didn’t believe possible. Keep up the great work James. :)

• JCrazy

June 1, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Awesome FAQ thanks for the info :D
    I really hope Mike is in the movie, he does such a great job with you in the AVGN episodes, it would be a shame if he didn’t get in the movie too.
    But whatever happens I am sure it will be a great movie, I’ll definitely be gettin a ticket and buying the DVD! Cant wait! ;)

• Lodmot

June 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I advise you not to rush yourself with the movie.
    The reason why Pacman and ET for the 2600 turned out badly, was because they were games that had permission to utilize big licenses and were given such short time restrictions to be completed in. Take your time with this film, look for all the details that need to be patched and polished, and make sure everything flows nicely and seamlessly throughout the film before you release it. I’m not a filmmaker, but I do make computer games, and one thing I’ve learned during the decade I’ve been making games, was to make them as flawless as possible. I will say I believe I’m much better now than I was 6 years ago, but I’m still nowhere near perfect.

Just be careful, and take your time. And don’t overwork yourself. That’s all.

I wish you and the rest of Cinemassacre the best.

• Bobby1001

June 1, 2012 at 11:51 pm

This is awesome! This movie is a great idea, and it’s going to be so cool!

• metalcommand

June 2, 2012 at 12:04 am

Those actors do have some movies/series on their names! I like how you’ve cast the voice of Koda (Brother bear), Jeremy Suarez!

• AFX

June 2, 2012 at 12:29 am

holy shit, release it on vhs, laserdisc, AND CED. youd have best selling for all of those, and blu ray would be amazing as well

• culwin

June 2, 2012 at 12:45 am

Release it on 8mm

• greedo

June 2, 2012 at 1:13 am

According to IMDB, Armin Shimerman is part of the cast now, LOL!

• danny

June 2, 2012 at 1:38 am

The IMDB page is a mess right now. But I’ll bet somebody will clean it up once the movie is actually finished.

DVD would probably be the most cost-effective way to release the movie to an international audience, perhaps along with a hi-def digital download as alternative (or both bundled together – a download of the digital copy while you wait for the physical discs to arrive). From what I understand, Blu-ray’s currently involve a lot of additional production/licensing costs so James might want to hold off on that for a while.

I’ll just be happy to see it at all, no matter in which format they decide to release it.

• laser

June 2, 2012 at 2:05 am

Panavision ratio, nice.

You should’ve cut out the other actors, locations, CG effects, etc., and shot on 70MM or IMAX… ;P

• jdshald

June 2, 2012 at 2:43 am

awesome! take your time in the editing phase once you get all your footage done.

Planning on buying avgn vol 6 and the avgn movie once they come out.

hope you release the movie on blu ray. ps you should also release the movie on steam (indie game the movie was just released using this service and since your movie is about video games your movie qualifies)

Keep updating the cinemassacre site with news on the progress every once in a while and ill be more than happy. thanks for making great entertainment.

• Lucky

June 2, 2012 at 5:36 am

Really nice FAQ. Thanks James!

• Pandavgnfan

June 2, 2012 at 6:11 am

Hey james, nicely done!! anyways, i think you should release it on dvd first, you would save some kickass money. You first should be releasing the movie on cons and cinema festivals to try to get as much attention to the film as possible, maybe even get a contract from universal studios or wb i dunno. Give it a month or two for that. then release it on dvd and in a older video format, to give you even more attention. You could also have a full day where fans could watch the movie here on cinemassacre, and then just erase it. i mean if you do that please tell us before you post the movie here. And a full day (24hours) because of the horary fuse.

Anyways that’s up to you, us ur fans will try our best to spread the word across the world that you made an awensome movie, like all of your other works. You don’t have to be making videos for the internet while you do the movie if you don´t want to.

Just on a final note let me tell you i am an european fan of yours and i told my friends about cinemassacre and they are your fans too!! I’m only a 14 year old guy, but you have seriosly inspired me to do what i love and follow my dreams. Thank You!!! :=) *thumbs up!

• Dark Omega

June 2, 2012 at 7:44 am

Haha, laserdisc release would be fucking epic! A digital download is probably the best idea. That way, people can transfer it to whatever medium they desire(laser, beta, vhs, dvd or even blu-ray). For even more epicness, release the soundtrack on old 70 vinyls or the old beeswax cylinders.

In any case, great job! Can’t wait to see it.

• GaAyle

June 2, 2012 at 8:43 am

Laser Disc!!! So I can serve anchovy pizza off of my AVGN laser Disc!

I assume there is a prequel trilogy?

• Steven

June 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm

you should release it on umd lol

• CatalystEXE

June 2, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Release it as an R2 Unit hologram simulation.

• fob4eva

June 2, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Mike should star as himself

• calangodragon

June 2, 2012 at 5:00 pm

BRAZIL FAN HERE,

Hi james, again, will be available subtitles in PORTUGUESE (BRAZILIAN) for the movie dvd?

• Lafar

June 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Hey there James, great news!
    I’ve got this idea for the DVD/Blu-ray/CED/VHS/etc releases – maybe fans could make subtitles? I’m pretty sure that there will be plenty of people from all over the world to take part in this thing. In result, the release would have a pretty impressive set of subtitles. I’m from Poland and I’d be honored to translate your movie to Polish.
    Going even further, same thing could be done for all your videos! It would be a big project but.. why not? Think about it.

• djmac317

June 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Please try to release is on iTunes. Even if Apple takes 30%, you’ll still get a wider distribution through the iTunes Store than anywhere else. I’ll be among the first to buy it, and I’m sure my kids will love it as well. Yes, my kids watch AVGN (after I watched it first to make sure it was “appropriate”). My kids are good about knowing which words aren’t “appropriate” and “not appropriate”. iTunes distribution is all I ask.

• Jonn

June 2, 2012 at 6:34 pm

CED? Laserdisc? DVD?! Eff that! Blu-Ray beaches! It’s absurd to film it in HD and then release it in low quality…

• Gian4455

June 2, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Hey guys! as someone posted up there, I wish we could get the movie with subtitles in multiple languages… I speak English but my wife doesn’t and I wish that she could watch this epic film with me and understand why I’m always laughing my ass off with the nerd videos.

By the way, I’m Venezuelan and I have experience creating subtitles in Spanish for different TV shows , so there’s that ;-)

• floridaboy

June 3, 2012 at 1:19 am

If I were to start a petition for this movie, it would state that Mike Matei should be in the movie. It’s kind of a hard pill to swallow that Mike has said he doesn’t really want be in it because he is not an actor. The Cinemassacre fans have accepted Mike as an essential component for the AVGN franchise.

• Undertaker91

June 3, 2012 at 2:32 am

As much as i would love to see this movie in theaters, DVD is much more likely. which is fine with me, i would love to buy it and watch it. I know James has put a lot of time and effort into this and that alone makes it worth watching in my book

• June 3, 2012 at 2:48 am

Digital download is the way to go, man. Direct contact and reasonably priced content is what we want.

• Rosthouse

June 3, 2012 at 6:07 am

A digital dowoad would be sweet, especially for those not living in the US.

It would be really awesome if you could release the movie on steam. You’d already have a lot of gamers on there, and they just released Indie Game: The Movie there as well.

• June 3, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Hey James just thinking about how you should look into getting Madman Entertainment into distributing your film in Australia, they released & distributed many cult films of varying nature to for smallish profitable runs in indie cinemas & relatively huge mainstream runs in more commercial cinemas over here, They would know your work & only a fool would turn down a chance to put out your picture..e-mail them dude

• Godzilla12

June 4, 2012 at 12:23 am

Just wonder overall how much did you spend

• rpbaca

June 4, 2012 at 3:24 am

So hoping the plot will be hardcore b-movie style, talking monster-vision on TNT! Here is my hope….

–Alien probes detect nuclear tests from the Trinity Site
    –Worthless probes crash outside of Roswell New Mexico, trying to localize the signal
    –Alien homeworld collects data and decides to see how much pain and punishment the Human race can take, by giving us ET on the 2600, in order to see if we would make suitable slaves.
    –WIth the help of retro gamers, CIA is made aware of the plot, and they bury the cartirages under a thick layer of concrete. But they bury that shit close enough to the original signal, hoping that the “evil ETs” do not discover their plan to enslave the human race, untill ??? (cliffhanger)

Whole thing should have “commercial” interjections with “Real Rolfe, Mutherfucker Mike, and of coarse –Joe Bob– drinking some beers and talking shit!

• brokeheart

June 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Here’s an important question, will the film possibly be translated at all for countries with many non-english speakers?

• brokeheart

June 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm

To hell with blu-ray, release this film on hand crafted film reels the way it was meant to be seen!

• Mike Scrase

June 4, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I own a CED player and actually have very fond memories of it because it used to belong to my grandpa. I would genuinely LOVE a CED release! Even if you have to make the price high because of a limited print/expensive manufacturing, I would STILL want one if one is available!

• metalcommand

June 5, 2012 at 10:26 am

@brokeheart, probably English subtitles.

• JordanWysong

June 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

it would be kind of interesting if you actually submitted it to the MPAA for a rating. I dunno if you would want to do that, but I think it would be kind of neat, despite the fact the rating system in general kind of blows….

• Thrashing Deth

June 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I’m pretty sure this comment will make me look like the biggest idiot on the face of the Earth. But I’m gonna ask anyway! The 5 people you mentioned on the cast, are they fans of AVGN or there just doing it because someone asked them to do the roles?

• ejp022791

June 7, 2012 at 4:22 am

I was hoping there would be a Blu-Ray release. Awesome news. :)

• sdbrown84

June 7, 2012 at 11:22 am

Get in on NetFlix so there is something good on there to stream…

• PoodleNoodle

June 8, 2012 at 12:55 am

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again:

Get this thing to Sundance! :-D

• June 8, 2012 at 5:30 am

I am SO getting a Blu-Ray copy :D

• Beeznitchio

June 12, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I would easily travel to see it in a theater if you tour it Red State style. I would just as easily double dip and pay for a digital download if you release it Louis CK style. I would even triple dip to see it in a theater, digital download and later Blu-ray release. I am pretty pumped for this.

• jeyyyvis

June 13, 2012 at 2:39 am

Jeremy Suarez from the Bernie Mac show! Haha. That”s awesome. Really looking forward to this.

• bigbug92

June 13, 2012 at 11:51 pm

hmmm. On imbd, it says Mike is going to be in the movie………….. Is there something you are not telling us?

• coolman756

June 14, 2012 at 2:43 am

@bigbug92: Don’t trust the IMDB page, there’s plenty of false information.

• vitamin-c

June 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm

2 things,
    Will we be seeing the famous ‘Nerd Frown’?
    and how the hell is it done?
    I can’t even frown.
    Best of luck James, can’t wait till the movie!

• lehulk

June 16, 2012 at 7:18 am

Really excited to see your movie James !

If ever you need assistance for french subtitles, you can count me in, I would love to help you !

Guillaume

• lsauchelli

June 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

How about Spanish subtitles?

• gmatte

June 20, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Ok, ok the FAQ is almost complete… but, the the most important question haven’t been answered, maybe it’s the most unspeakable or unhearable answer of all. The most unbearable binary answer that could cause an havoc on the whole AVGN production…

… Or maybe, only asking it is answering it.

Anyway, here it is :

Will there be a video game based on the movie ? If yes, will you review it ? (surely, it would be a movie-based video game…)

• whiskydotjar

June 24, 2012 at 8:50 am

Hi.
    Consider me as a translator. I can do Russian translation. Just for fun. ’cause I’m a big fan.

• June 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm

what kind of joke is this, where on the east coast?

specifics please.

• nightfox99

July 6, 2012 at 12:09 am

I can’t wait to see it man.

• Diede_VDL

July 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm

will it come in nederland too?
    in zoetermeer?
    please i want to know.
    good luck with the movie.

• wolfpacleader1986

July 11, 2012 at 8:00 am

I live in NJ and have a Blu Ray burner if you want to make Blu-Rays of the movie. I really only know the basics, so you’d probably get more out of the editing program than I would, but if you want to go that route, you have an option available to you.

• Lukas Sprehn

August 9, 2013 at 8:37 am

I hope that if a sequel is actually made, it’ll be a creative collaboration between you James, Kevin Smith, Kevin Finn, Lloyd Kaufmann, and probably a bunch of other people. And think about this, Jay and Silent Bob, in an AVGN sequel. It’ll start a new feud with fans arguing who swears the most, the Nerd or Jay xD

• Vitez D.

July 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I would love to see Mike in the movie :)
    Good luck with the movie.I wonder what the E.T review will be :D

• speccyboy

July 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm

James, I took the liberty of looking into the possible prospect of a Blu-ray release, and… it’s not too great ($3,000 membership fee + $1,600 to get the discs pressed – PER DISC – with the copy protection and all that smeg, the replication/duplication costs and a $0.04 distribution fee per disc). It’s up to you… and if you have enough cash to do it, of course. I look forward to seeing the finished film. :)

• Lukas Sprehn

August 9, 2013 at 8:29 am

Well, if he can find a distributor, he might not have to deal with that stuff at all. They’ll probably pay for him. Of course he’ll have to give up some of the money from sales, but at least he won’t have to pay for the actual production of the discs and the distribution :D

• speccyboy

July 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Update (RE: Possible Blu-ray release): $500 (£250) annual fee, plus another $500 per title, plus $0.04 per disc pressed. I’d much rather see a digital download version available, but in the end, the decision lies with you, James. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing it :)

• Ruben

March 25, 2013 at 8:48 am

You should try to release the movie on VHS, LaserDisc and CED.

• April 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm

cant wait to see it my only regret is jln isnt around to make a crap game for this movie

• June 1, 2013 at 11:07 am

Maybe you could use this in your movie? Or perhaps a follow up video.

• alexhr2000

July 13, 2013 at 1:22 pm

How money will cost the digital download?

• Lukas Sprehn

August 7, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I think you should try and see if Miramax would be interested in distributing the film. I dunno if they will though. Probably not. They’re independent, but still pretty mainstream today. Back then Kevin Smith made Clerks he got Miramax to distribute that, but it was a different time, and now there’s not nearly as many independent studios like that. And the ones that there back then, have grown into big sutdios themselves…

• Lukas Sprehn

August 9, 2013 at 8:37 am

• Super castlevania 1994

October 17, 2013 at 4:21 am

Mike better be in the damn movie >.> Kyle too. Gotta have those foundational players.

• March 24, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Will the movie be available at Malaysia? Please yes! Or at least make it downloadable on the internet. Cause I really wanna watch this! ><