Mrs Nerd’s favorite concerts attended with James

James / May 8th, 2012

(From Mrs Nerd)

One of the most frequently asked questions I get is, “So, do you play games too?” and I’m always so disheartened and embarrassed (considering who my husband is) to tell people that I simply do not. I just didn’t play games growing up nor do I really play them now. I respect games and those who play them, I understand their appeal, and have actually learned a lot about them over the years but I’d never consider myself a gamer. That said, my follow up to that initial question always seems to be, “but where James and I really see eye to eye is movies and music.” James is just as passionate about movies and music as he is about games and I absolutely share those passions. James did a video a few years ago where he went through his concert ticket stubs and lots of people really enjoyed that so I thought I’d be fun to bring you a list of my Top 10 Favorite Live Shows that James and I have attended over the years and a little back story to go with them. Hope you enjoy!

10. Rob Zombie at The Electric Factory in Philadelphia, PA:
James has seen Rob Zombie a total of 11 times, and I’ve personally seen him at least 5 times but we both would definitely say this particular show ranks up there as one of the best Rob Zombie shows we’ve seen. The Electric Factory is also one of Philadelphia’s best venues. It’s small, grungy, intimate, and an overall awesome place. The best part of it is the upstairs overhanging bar section. The trick is to get there early and secure a great seat overlooking the stage. When we saw Rob Zombie we were so close we could read the set list sitting on the sound mixer. We could also see Sherri Moon Zombie sitting in the corner enjoying the show from back stage. Oh and the Electric Factory has awesome waitresses who will bring you beers so you don’t have to waste a minute out of your seat.

9. Twisted Sister – A Twisted Christmas at The Keswick Theater in Philadelphia, PA:
When I saw advertisements for a Holiday themed Twisted Sister show, I was skeptical, but I thought, what the hell and got tickets anyway. I think the fact that it was my 25th birthday also helped. What a better way to enjoy your quarter century milestone than with crazy metal dudes in drag singing Christmas songs? It ended up being a mixture of regular Twisted Sister songs and traditional Christmas songs. The whole stage set up and Dee Snider dressed as Santa was a hoot. It was an all around fun night and a birthday I’ll never forget.

8. The Offspring at The Festival Pier in Philadelphia, PA:
Festival Pier in Philly is probably my favorite venue ever, especially in summer. It’s outdoors right on the Delaware River, the sound is typically pretty great, and it’s a really laid back place to hang out with friends and see a show. The Offspring had always been on my bucket list of bands I needed to see, so checking that off the list was pretty awesome. I’ve seen them a few times since, but this show was one that will always stand out.

7. Robert Plant at The Tower Theater in Philadelphia, PA:
Anyone who knows me is aware that I fell in love with Led Zeppelin when I was about 12 years old and have been obsessed ever since. I even have the symbols from Zeppelin IV tattooed on me. Yea, I’m fucking serious. So, when I was able to see Robert Plant play live I was one quarter of the way to achieving bliss. I have made my peace with the fact that a) John Bonham is dead so it’ll never be the same and b) a reunion with the living members is highly unlikely. Still, seeing Plant was pretty cool! He played a lot of his (then) new album “The Mighty Rearranger” and when he did play Zeppelin songs he “folk-ed” them up a lot. I can die a littler happier though having seen him play “That’s The Way” (my favorite song ever) live and unchanged for the most part. We’ve also seen Jason Bonham in “The Led Zeppelin Experience.” Mixed feelings on that… too much to go into.

6. Dio Disciples at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ:
In a humble and heartfelt effort to honor the life of Ronnie James Dio, musicians who have played with him and admired him for years formed the tribute band “Dio Disciples.” Notable members include Tim “Ripper” Owens on vocals and Rudy Sarzo on bass. James and I made a weekend of it and went up to Asbury Park to catch them play. What a great night. Apparently no one else got the memo though because it was a near empty bar enabling James and I to get so close to the stage that we were nearly on it. Ripper killed it to, hitting every note! The opening bands were great also. A great NJ local Judas Priest tribute band called “Rapid Fire” opened and we got to meet comedian and “The Metal Show” host Jim Florentine that night. Good times.

5. Metal Masters Tour (Heaven and Hell, Motorhead and Judas Priest) at The Susquehana Bank Center in Camden, NJ:
Let me start by saying I hate this venue, but unfortunately most of the awesome shows that roll through the Philadelphia area are played there. For this occasion though James and I had amaaaazing seats. We were so close. This show was particularly special because it was the first and only time I was able to see the great Ronnie James Dio before he passed away. It was also the first time I saw Motorhead and of course, Judas Priest killed it as usual. (We’ve seen them at least 5 times) An awesome concept for a tour and a great night for metal.

4. Heart at The Borgata Ballroom in Atlantic City, NJ:
I’m going to paint you a mental picture. First, imagine the crappy ballroom where your high school prom was held. Now, sink a low lying, relatively small stage at the front of it and on top of that stage put two of the most powerful and influential hard rock women in history – Anne and Nancy Wilson. That’s right, the first time I saw Heart was in one of the most intimate settings possible and it was completely amazing. Heart has had one of the most varied and prolific careers in hard rock and are (in my humble opinion) often undervalued by many music lovers. I just love their story. Two young sisters who genuinely love music, rising to success on pure talent. They are definitely awesome in their own right but to hear Anne belt out live renditions of Zeppelin classics just put it over the top for me.

3. Whitesnake at The Sovereign Center in Reading, PA:
I was kind of a morose little kid and so my favorite song ever at the age of 5 or 6 was “Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake. Flash Forward twenty or so years and I finally got to see them live. Unfortunately for them, they’d fallen from the heights they new in the late 80’s and were playing a dumpy, old place in the little “city” of Reading, PA to a half empty auditorium. Completely self-aware, David Coverdale channeled this situation and was a total comedian on the stage, letting go of all his cares and just singing his heart out. Truth be told, I think he was drunk or high or something, but it was a great show and a childhood dream come true. It was also James and my first wedding anniversary.

2. Metallica at The Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA:
I have loved Metallica for a good long time now. (I admittedly came to them a little later than most hardcore fans, but still consider myself among them.) However, seeing them live has alluded me for many years. Throughout the late 90’s and early 2000’s whenever they’d pass through town I’d mysteriously miss out on the opportunity. Be it ticket confusion, college finals, natural disasters, etc. When I finally got to see them on the Death Magnetic Tour I was literally like a kid on Christmas. I’m not sure I’ve ever looked forward to anything as much as I did that show. The day of the show was a typical January day in Philadelphia – cold as shit! Aside from that it was awesome. The center 360 degree stage set up for this tour was so cool. It totally lived up to my hope and expectations and I was a happy head banger that night.

1.The Big 4 (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax) at The Polo Fields in Indio, CA:
Probably the most compulsive and random thing that James and I have ever done is to get tickets to a show that was being played 3000 miles from where we live. Upon hearing of this historical metal event (the first time these 4 bands ever played together in the USA), we desperately wanted to go, so we decided to make a pilgrimage of it. It also helped that we had a meeting set up to discuss something about the AVGN movie but still, quite the commitment. It was totally worth it though. Even though we got to see the whole thing again when they came to Yankee Stadium in NYC, I wouldn’t go back and change a thing.

- Mrs Nerd

Comments

• KingFish

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 am

Love hearing these stories Mrs. Nerd. I do wonder if you ever got to see Black Sabbath.

• HERO

May 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

Mrs. Nerd, have you ever seen Tool?

• JJLehto

May 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Very cool!
    We seem to have similar taste, I know James once said he liked System of a Down, which is perhaps my favorite band.

I’ll second what “Hero” said: Have you seen Tool?

• May 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I am insanely jealous that you got to see Robert Plant, and with that you are forgiven for your lack of gaming.

• encey

May 8, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I third the question — have you seen T00L? I’ve seen them five times (most of any live band — I don’t go to a ton of concerts) and they always rocked hard!!

• leightonandoff

May 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

A forth for Tool. The best band I’ve ever seen live. You could say that I’m a massive Tool fan (insert double-entendre here).

• Peter Wilhelmsson

May 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm

And not a single concert with VNV Nation. Sad panda.

• Thrashing Deth

May 8, 2012 at 2:15 pm

The big 4 concert was my favorite =) Though I’m just hardcore 80′s thrasher. Can’t help myself.

• Paul Dower

May 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I went to a Paul McCartney concert and a Pink Floyd tribute band concert so, yeah up until now life was really good, now if only I can find out when Deadmau5 is touring again

• Billbarman

May 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm

All amazing artists! I too have been dying to see Metallica but alway miss the chance! I went to see Van Halen at Maddison Square Garden this past febuary. I highly reccomend seeing them!

• May 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Good choices. : )

• May 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Very cool!!! Music is life.

• NobodyCares

May 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm

You should consider making your own blog to share your experiences. Then you can be your own person and not “Mrs Nerd.” An educated individual with your own values and aspirations shouldn’t try to leech off of the husband’s success. Then you’re no different from all the other Hollywood spares that simply desire fame from association having done nothing else. I’m not saying you’re doing that but it sure is starting to look like it.

Point is, I don’t think being married to James validates anything you’ve written on his site. We get it, you’re married to the guy. You know more about him than anyone. If you really care about him you should protect his personal life and stay out of his business.

• greedo

May 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

@NobodyCares Why are you acting like a douchebag? She obviously chose to share this with us, because she wanted to share it with us. If she wants to share this with us, it’s her choice. Leave her alone!

• culwin

May 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Cool
    You should read this on video.
    Dressed as a nerd.

• Devil_Rising

May 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Cool list, thanks for sharing!

I have to say, having seen them a few times myself, Metallica is without a doubt THE best live band/show I’ve ever seen. Period.

People can say what they want about them (most of it unruly fanboy hate), but they are consumate professionals on the road, and put on the best damn rock/metal show you’ve ever seen. I didn’t get to see the “Big 4″ play live (though I’ve never been a Slayer fan to begin with, it still would have been cool), but I did go watch the very first Big 4 festival show in Europe on closed circuit at the theater. Still pretty cool.

And trust me, that’s saying something, for me to say that Metallica is the best live, when I’ve seen some great bands like Styx, Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, Foreigner, Megadeth, Testament, Death Angel, Boston, Opeth, etc.

Kudos!

• Devil_Rising

May 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm

P.S. @Nobody Cares

it’s in the name, buddy. Your name. She writes because most of us enjoy hearing from her, and hearing more about James through her.

You’re a moronic tool, and a troll. Nobody cares. Least of all her.

• Snejku

May 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Ah.. last year, July 7th I went up to Gothemburg, Sweden to watch Iron Maiden.. most fantastic concert ever! This was on a friday, The Big 4 played the same stadium on the following Sunday but I was in way out of condition to watch another show so soon (nor had I tried getting tickets) but the show was aired on national television.

Unfortunately Anthrax really or at least rather blew during that show, Slayer was pretty groovy, Megadeth.. my favourite thrash metal band was, sad to say.. not really motivated and Mustaine looked like he just didn’t give a damn. I’m not a real big fan of Metallica but I have to say.. not only was people primarily lined up to watch them at this show but they really rocket sauced it to high heavens, great performance! Metal brings people together, a collective of people with an ear for awesome tunes.

• Moonwatcher

May 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Great story.

Hey, could I ask a question? Do you have an opinion on the Lou Reed/ Metallica collaboration?

• rronak95

May 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

do yall listen to any other music? Do you guys have interest in the beatles, or any other genera of music?

• moogic

May 8, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Great list!

I also saw Robert Plant & the Strange Sensation on the Mighty Rearranger tour, and it is one of my favorite all-time concerts. He is just legendary.

And, I was at the same Big 4 concert. It was pretty monumental.

• IdealIdeas991

May 9, 2012 at 12:06 am

James, Stop hiding behind the text!

We want a video if not a clip of your wife!

• LordMoe

May 9, 2012 at 10:47 am

couldn’t agree more about Heart.

• MeatHammer

May 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

On #6 DIO DISCIPLES I was there! The opening band you’re talking about RAPID FIRE is not a Judas Priest tribute band, They’re an original/metal band and they covered Priest as their last song. You must’ve walked in at the end of their set.

You can check them out at: Facebook.com/RapidxFire

Btw, They spell their name RapidxFire but it’s pronounced as Rapid Fire.

• nmatney353

May 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Changing sub-genres a bit:

Green Day in concert is about as rocking as most concerts I’ve been to. If you haven’t had the pleasure, do it. You won’t be disappointed.

• Jordan

May 9, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Check out Buckethead if you get the chance.

• thegeneralcs

May 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

@Devil_Rising just wondering if you have seen or hear rammstein live. If not look them up I’d be interested to see what you have to say about there live show compared to Metallica. IMO rammstein are the best live band and show men in the business now days. Anyone with me on this one. they travel with around 25 trucks worth of equipment and a crew of 100. They also play 2 stages during every show, have a 10 minute intro and enough pyrotechnics to blow your mind.

• Admiral Ackbar

May 10, 2012 at 5:15 am

Have you ever been to an AC/DC concert?

I’ve seen them a few years ago on their Black Ice tour and it was amazing!
    Definitely my number 1!

• May 10, 2012 at 6:28 am

I saw White Zombie/Pantera back in the day. It was cool to see two bands play hard music while having a stage presence that were the extreme opposite of each other. White Zombie had a highly involved Alice Cooper/horror show with tons to look at and then Pantera came out with only amps, drums, guitars and a microphone. Both were fantastic that night.

• Gleeok

May 10, 2012 at 10:40 am

“I even have the symbols from Zeppelin IV tattooed on me”

Respect level rose so much at that point.

• tshaw

May 10, 2012 at 10:37 pm

you guys got to check out since you love metal Rammstein. hands down best show that ive seen in ages. i was at that show you guys were at in philly for metallica what a great show with godsmack, that drum solo was plain out amazing with sully. anyways i just recently saw rammstein april 26th in philly at wells fargo in pit and was just an awesome show from the music to the acts that rammstein puts on during their show. they played 2 stages one in front and one it the pit and they had a bridge that connected from the main stage to the second stage to walk back and fourth from. pretty amazing. awesome your a metal/rock fan not many out there but awesome shows that youve gone to.

• tshaw

May 10, 2012 at 10:47 pm

@thegeneralcs i was at most recently at the rammstein show in philadelphia. truly amazing show. saw them 3 times already. twice in new york the MSG show and the meadowlands one as well and my latest was philly. i got pit tickets and got some good pics and caught a guitar pic from Richard. fucking amazing guitarist

• thegeneralcs

May 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm

@tshaw u lucky man 10 year fan and it was my first time but it won’t b my last for sure. Best show of my life.

• frostare

May 11, 2012 at 11:53 am

Quite a trip with #1 huh? I loved them all, specially the Heart concert!

• darkestglam

May 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Hi, dear Mrs Nerd.

I wanted to ask, what zodiac are you and James?

• Kyl0r

May 13, 2012 at 5:33 am

Hi Mrs Nerd,

last week I saw Judas Priest in Stuttgart (Germany). They are awesome!
    You have a very good taste in music ;)

Metal greetings!

• WunnTrueKevin

May 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

It saddens me to say that I never got to see one of my Metal Idols, Ronny James Dio, perform, so color me Jealous on that one!

As far as my personal favorite concert goes, it has to be Dir En Grey at First Avenue in Minneapolis. DEG is a Japanese prog-metal group that sells out arenas in Asia but their American and European tours have been much more low-key, smaller venues like House of Blues etc. At this show, we were about 3 people back from the stage and DEG was on fire that night. Lead singer Kyo crooning/screaming The Final was the closest thing to a religious experience since I was 15. A friend of mine caught one of the Drumsticks Shinya threw out at the end and I’ve been developing a plot to swipe it ever since, lol!

• jokerhg

May 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Hey Mrs Nerd ! It’s great you mention the Big 4 as your #1 show, I went there too and it’s easily one of the best shows I’ve ever been to. Slayer kicked my ass over and over. What was great too about being there it’s that I found you and James walking right in front of me… I had to say hi and meet you guys, you’re great!

• 11STEWAC

May 14, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I have the symbols from led zeppelin four tattooed on my shoulder as well hahaha

• aweSD123

May 15, 2012 at 2:28 am

Respect leve rose by 400 and 9 per cent when I heard you have the zepplin IV symbols as tattoes. I’d like to ask: James being an INSANE film fan, what would be your favs? how favourite movies attended with James?
    -Awe

• Niki RDH 24

May 15, 2012 at 8:20 am

James, is so creative. All his videos bring me back to my childhood. I grew up with Nintendo. I love his videos

• JediRob

May 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm

It would be cool if you included the dates, or at least the years of the shows. That’s always my first question when someone is telling me about a shot.

Great article Mrs Nerd.

• JediRob

May 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

About a show* even.

• May 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Saw Metallica back in 1992 and Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer (Clash of the Titans) in 1991. Cool list of shows! I think it’s great that both you and James share similar tastes in music.

• Jessyfaulkner

May 19, 2012 at 12:27 am

Wow, those sound awesome! I saw Heart too, at the Horseshoe Casino in 2009 in Elizabeth, IN. They put on an amazing show and I was absolutely blown away! Ann Wilson is my biggest singing influence and seeing her and Nancy Wilson in person was just mind boggling. Other concerts I have seen in my life was Journey (Steve Perry era in 1995 on their Trial By Fire tour) at the Louisville Palace, Bad Company on the Waterfront in Louisville in 1997, LRSFest 2002 (a heavy metal festival that lasts 3 days with 9 bands performing) with Disturbed, Drowning Pool (shortly before the lead singer died) and Twistid, AC/DC at Freedom Hall in Louisville in 2010, Styx at the Palace and Rush at the KFC Yum! Center last year. Those weren’t all of them, but they meant the most to me and I will never forget them

• GrahfMetal

May 20, 2012 at 2:15 am

Nice list. Last September was the 30th time I saw Priest in concert. That was my goal since first time I saw them in ’88.

• Maddy

May 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I definitely know where you’re coming from. I’m also married (more or less) to a total gaming nerd, whose primary social interaction consists of raiding on WoW. He also collects stuff, though not nearly as obsessively as James does, though I’m pretty sure we own more DVDs. I’m also a nerd but not a gaming nerd. I teach English for a living and for my sins, and I’m a HUGE Star Trek and Monty Python nerd. And I love cats and love to cook. Hehe…sound familiar? Anyway, if you and James are ever in Sweden, send me an email. I’d love to show you around Gothenburg, Sweden’s greatest and best city, and number one producer of rock and metal. Rock on.

• Dolly Dagger

May 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I don’t think I could watch Heart without crying…even watching some of their concert DVDs sends me into tears. Yes, Ann Wilson’s voice really does that to me.

Also, so. freaking. jealous. that you got to see Whitesnake.

• Jessyfaulkner

May 22, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Maddy, I like Monty Python too! Also, my fiancee is a gamer as well, although he’s more of the newer game guy while I’m more old school when it comes to video games

• Belligeron

May 27, 2012 at 12:51 am

Hey Mrs. Nerd. I have often wondered, since James is a fan of Metal and a huge horror movie buff, what he thinks of Iced Earth’s album “Horror Show”. I feel it is one of their best albums, my favorite track being “Damien” Since you share the same interests I would also like to know your opinion.

• SippyCup

May 28, 2012 at 1:18 am

I’ve been an AVGN fan for years, probably as long as the videos have been on the internet. Since you guys are into metal (although I don’t know exactly what kinds), you might actually like my metal band! We’re even playing in Philadelphia in July with some cool dudes in a Philly band called Casket, and Tombstalker from KY (all their stuff is about Warhammer 40k, which is about the nerdiest thing I can think of). Looks like you stay pretty busy with all the projects going on, but it would be awesome to bump into the AVGN and friends at a show! I know we and the guys in Casket could talk about horror movies for hours.

Anyway, my band is Manic Scum. Just Joogle us, our fb page and some videos will pop up! Keep it up with AVGN, and I’m pretty pumped for the movie!

• alexvh84

May 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Hey Mrs. Nerd,

Ive been an AVGN fan for a loonngg time. Its so cool that James and yourself are into music of different genres. I love the offspring as well, and who doesnt like anthrax, metallica, ect. I am in an all original music band, Tony Bongiovani and Hardway. I am the drummer. Were just 3 guys who get together every friday night and jam. Check us out on youtube/facebook. And to all AVGN fans, if you happen to check us out, please be respectful in ur comments. We appreciate constructive criticism, dont give us an AVGN “top gun” review haha.

• Gambus75

June 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hi Mrs. Nerd,

Sounds like you and james have seen a lot of cool shows i just have one question did either you or james ever see pantera before they broke up?

• killshock360

June 28, 2012 at 12:24 am

well Mrs.Nerd just to be funny you should show up in a nerd episode like play a game that you have played before plus we dont belive it not till this happens or the nerd movie that avgn is married lol

• m0desty

June 30, 2012 at 5:28 am

why i ask a question i dnt know seein as the majority counts and im sure u couldnt give a shit about any of us except the fan base pays james income so anyway does he like marilyn manson? i only ask u cos i might get an answer seein as u are lesser known therefore more likely to read this an get pissed of and somehow spring an answer in the middle of a fk you modesty :)

• AbsoluteDeicide

January 6, 2013 at 8:58 am

Nice list, I’ve seen many of the same bands. Have either of you been to any GWAR shows? They put on the best shows I’ve seen by far, and I’d figure the horror/sci-fi metal theme would be right up your alley (or at least James’ and I’ve dragged my wife to a few).

• Kanen Hays

April 18, 2014 at 1:20 am

Robert Plant is Jesus. I feel really lucky that i got to see him at the Portland blues festival last summer. I also got to see roger waters a few years ago, but Tool… by far the greatest concert I’ve ever been to. NIN was good, fall of troy was good, but nothing touches tool man