AVGN Movie still looking for extras

James / April 24th, 2012

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie is still looking for extras because of the schedule change due to rain. If and ONLY if you meet the following criteria please send an email to [email protected] that includes your full name, contact info (phone number and email address), and a recent photograph. If you have already received confirmation that you are on the list, there is NO need to re-apply.

Criteria:
- You must be 18 years of age or older as of 5/1/12. (sorry, there are laws that prevent us from doing this for unpaid roles)
- You will be required to present ID with your name and proof of age.
- You must live within a reasonable distance from the Los Angeles, CA area.
- You must be available for up to 6 hours Saturday May 5th and/or Monday May 7th
- *** If you have a preferred day, please note that in your email.
- You must NOT be a member of SAG or any other actor’s guild.
- You must be willing to cooperate and take direction on set.

Note: Screen time is likely, but not guaranteed. You are also not guaranteed to meet James
Rolfe. You will be required to sign a Filming Waiver and a Non Disclosure Agreement. This is on
a volunteer basis and you will not be compensated. You must provide your own transportation to
and from the location and we are not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items. You WILL be
part of something awesome and earn our eternal gratitude!

If chosen, you will receive an official confirmation email with further details by May 4th, 2012.

Comments

• bdgfgdfggg

April 24, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I completely get the reasoning behind the requirements, but it really doesn’t make it sound attractive at all. Especially since 99-100% of the ones who would apply imagine sitting down with James and him totally being the AVGN for them privately and having a Rolling Rock beer and playing NES and totally hanging out on and off set…

• Steven

April 24, 2012 at 11:32 pm

wow im so tempted to just drop everything and do this.but sadly have responsabilities that I can not negelect

• TheTempleKnight

April 25, 2012 at 12:35 am

If you are only helping out to meet James, they probably don’t want you anyway.

• April 25, 2012 at 8:27 am

Heh, I can almost imagine a Mailbag episode where James goes through some of the responses that ended up on this emial. ;)

• culwin

April 25, 2012 at 11:05 am

You would only be an extra if you would meet James?
    What are you, some kind of stalker?

• Luka1184

April 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm

@bdgfgdfggg Maybe some, but for something like this, where it’s been stated that there is not garantee, I don’t think many is really thinking that right now.

- Lukas

• ikensee

April 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Man, I wish I lived in L.A. It would be cool to take part in this.

• Jarnor23

April 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Actually, that would be a great thing for him to say: “Free round of beer with James at end of day’s shoot.” :)

I’d do it beer or no beer if I lived in L.A., Phoenix is close, but not close enough to just drive after work. :)

• HudsonGameOver

April 26, 2012 at 1:22 am

@bdgfgdfggg

If anyone is seriously applying for this because they want to hang out with Rolfe and drink beer and play video games then they deserve to feel let down.

• Steven

April 26, 2012 at 2:23 am

@HudsonGameOver And why is that?

• HudsonGameOver

April 26, 2012 at 2:33 am

@Steven

It’s an extra gig, there’s not much to it other than stand in the back and don’t look at the camera.

• Steven

April 26, 2012 at 2:44 am

So why do they deserve to feel let down

• Paul Dower

April 26, 2012 at 4:43 am

If only I was 18 and lived in LA, well, only a few more years

• JohnEparK

April 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

I went down and got to be an extra for a few hours. It was an awesome experience, but anyone who thinks they are going to get to hang with James isn’t really thinking things through. The guy is working on the biggest project in his life, with what seems like 100 people running around working and getting things done, meanwhile he is acting, producing, and directing. I would do it again in a heart beat, and everyone there was actually really cool. I didn’t actually get to meet the main man though unless you count a “hey whats up” – “hey whats up” exchange. The sneak peak behind the scenes was the coolest part of it though… no spoilers from me tho… HAHA

• HudsonGameOver

April 27, 2012 at 12:22 am

@Steven

This is the last I’m going to say of this: but Rolfe is asking for a job to be done. If someone shows up and thinks they are just hanging out and disrupt production just to nab a photo or autograph then they deserve to be told to hit the bricks.

• Steven

April 27, 2012 at 1:02 am

well not everyones understands how the shit works.Some people have just been watching for years and are huge fans.Who are we to judge them.Thats why it was really cool of them to add that part about not meeting james.It shows a real care for the fans.

• kenyon_13

April 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm

AWWW i wish i was in LA.. to bad im all the way in canada. I really hope to see more stuff soon but good luck with the movie!!!

• DBZMagus

April 27, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Meh, no thanks. I don’t do free labor for for-profit ventures. I only volunteer for charity works, and James will be making money off this project. I understand he’s gotta make a living and all, but it won’t be off the sweat of my brow :)

• JohnEparK

April 28, 2012 at 3:30 am

@ DBZMagus Yea the hard hard labor of standing in a room. If you sweat from standing around you may want to see a doctor.

• IrOnFiSt

April 28, 2012 at 10:57 am

If I lived in L.A. I would help James in a fuck’n heart beat. Just the thought that I helped him achieve his greatest dream would be a pleasure and an honor. It’s the least I could do after the hours of free entertainment he provided me in these last 5-6 years.

• avgn_shitty_fucking_games95

April 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I am not 18 yet but just want to say is that the AVGN MOVIE is going to be so awesome that I will shit myself. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE NUMBER 1 EPISODE EVER, even though in my opinion it is going to be an avgn episode. Maybe or not

• Jarnor23

April 28, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Remember what else you get if you do an extras role, the off chance your ugly-ass mug may actually be in the background of a shot in the Angry Video Game Nerd Movie. I’d have to say that would be pretty cool if I could freeze the screen and say “hey, that dipcrap in the background itching his butt in this shot, that’s me guys!”

• The Kaleidoscopic God

April 29, 2012 at 12:35 am

I absolutely agree with Jarnor23. Just the chance of being present in a film (the Nerd’s film, to boot) would mean you got SOMETHING out of it. I sure think so. Even as a mere extra I would be fucking proud, man.

‘You would only be an extra if you would meet James?
    What are you, some kind of stalker?’

- Christ. Drop the naïveté.

• triplequalm

April 29, 2012 at 7:39 am

Why do all the extras have to be over 18? I don’t live in the LA area or even in California, but I still want to know if this is a legal issue, are kids hard to direct, or are there really no places for those who are legally children in the script?

• HowitzerHall

April 29, 2012 at 8:18 am

@triplequalm

It is most likely due to laws preventing minors taking unpaid roles, at least that’s what I inferred from the statement in the requirements.

• jacobward7

April 29, 2012 at 9:16 am

What some of you people don’t seem to realize is that for some people (myself included) being a background extra is their job. Therefore it’s not a lot to ask for James to drop by background holding for a bit and say hello and shake a few hands (15mins from his day for free labour). The novelty of being on set wears off quickly and extras spend 95% of the day (sometimes over 12 hour working days) standing around waiting for an assistant director to tell them to do something.

• JohnEparK

April 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

@Jacob I sort of agree, but, imagine YOU were at work and a bunch of fan boys wanted to talk your ear off. Who has time for that at work? I know i don’t. Plus look how many extras they need, like over 100. Bullshitting with a 100 people would take all day and studio time isn’t cheap. We (the fans) have been getting free entertainment for like 7 years now between AVGN, Monster Madness, spike reviews ect, so i don’t think spending a couple hours on a set is that big of a deal in return. Plus… dude you get to be IN the movie! I mean you’ve done it before so its probably not as cool to you as it is to me, but ive never been in a movie before, and the experience was incredible.

• masterchan777

April 30, 2012 at 6:29 am

Nah, I prefer playing ET on the 2600 and/or Superman 64 (on N64) to being such an “extra” …

• Jarnor23

April 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm

We know you’re joking there, nobody would voluntarily play either of those games. If you put something more realistic in there such as “stick my dick in a pencil sharpener” maybe.

• wanahunuluge

May 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

Heard that you’re spending more days filming than planned. Best of luck to you my friend

• headcase

May 2, 2012 at 7:49 pm

@Jacob: That’s all well and good for you, but fact is there are probably enough dedicated fans in the area willing to do it without seeing him. James is evidently tight for both money and time and if he can get enough extras without giving anything back (besides existing goodwill) it behooves him to do so.

• May 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm

If I only did not have this herpes, I would do it.

• grav0

May 3, 2012 at 11:21 am

why is there a commotion about the possibility of not being able to see James as an extra? If thats your motive for being an extra, you probably aren’t a good extra anyway. Why don’t you enjoy being in the movie and enjoy the time together with OTHER fans?

• May 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I would love to do this…I live in Phoenix so it’s not that far but unfortunately, I’m broke. :(

• RedBlueSpot

May 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm

If you guys ever will swing by Sweden I’ll be glad to participate in the movie ;) I’ve been acting about 12 years (theater school, musical university and also animation/film school). Me and my friends thought about applying to the audition, but USA is a bit too far from here. I love your stuff. The AVGN is really funny and the other projects are really awesome. I’d love to see a AVGN movie, classic cinemassacre style!

• May 4, 2012 at 3:39 am

Jacob: As someone who does BG and stand-in work for money, but is also a film maker himself, I can see both sides of this…

James is producing and directing… it’s kind of arrogant to imply that he owes a visit to the people who are made FULLY aware that they probably won’t meet him.

If you are BG professionally… and you think like that, I will say you are disappointed A LOT, because very few directors or producers or stars have the time on set to come hang out in holding.

• Tankard

May 4, 2012 at 5:37 am

Jacob you just said it yourself: It’s a JOB. It gets boring? Guess what, so does every job on Earth. Yours is easy. Getting bored? Go dig holes for 2 weeks. Why do you think you are entitled to special attention? You are an EXTRA: meat in the room. Interchangeable and ultimately disposable.

• May 4, 2012 at 11:32 am

Tankard: No. That’s part of what is wrong with the industry today. There used to be a guild for background performers… it was a shame that it dissolved… While background are almost un-noticed in a finished film, they are an integral part of the experience…

A skilled bg performer can make a scene perfect, while an idiot who calls themselves a bg performer can, literally, ruin a scene… it is a skill… just a different skill set

• DBZMagus

May 5, 2012 at 3:15 am

@JohnEparK

You sound extremely naive. Do you even understand how ad revenue works? James has been well paid for making his videos based on the hits from all of his fans. He is also now a Youtube partner so he gets paid for that as well. We don’t owe him any free labor for this. Just because you consider your time worthless does not mean you can speak for everyone. Being an extra is work and I would not do it for free. James is making money off of this movie and the extras aren’t getting a dime of that profit.

• May 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

DBZMagus:
    If you don’t want to do it… just don’t do it… don’t bitch because someone is asking for help…

Yeah, he’s making money… but let’s assume 20 bg for 2 days. That’s 40 vouchers… in LA, BG are garanteed $130/10 (per guild rules). So that’s $5,200 JUST ON BG for those two days.

If he’s funding it out of pocket… that’s a lot of money…

So, since you don’t have the information on budget, investors or the like… just STFU…

Oh… wait… I forgot this. Thank you for your statement concerning my naivete… I will take it under advisement… Being a producer and director, I can’t possibly have any idea how busy we are on set… I am sorry that I spoke with several years of knowledge and a couple award winning short films under my belt… in the future, I will endeavor to dumb my statements down from “speaking with experience, education and first hand knowledge” to pointing and grunting like most background performers are wont to do.

• May 5, 2012 at 8:42 am

DBZMagus: this is supposed to be in agreement with you… not directed at you…lol…sorry

• Countsorlof

May 7, 2012 at 4:26 am

i wish i could, too bad i live on the other side of the planet :(

• Sigmoid

May 7, 2012 at 5:36 am

This is an interesting moral question. Sure, if James has enough mass appeal to get free background in his movie, he’d be crazy not to do it.

Then again, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg or even Uwe Boll could do the same. Do they? Well, no they don’t.

Sure there is the small budget, the lingering garage-ish fandom nature of the production, but ultimately, it just seems somewhat wrong.

“Jacob you just said it yourself: It’s a JOB. It gets boring? Guess what, so does every job on Earth.”
    Yes, but usually you get MONEY for doing them.
    Apparently Jacob is a professional background actor, which means he gets PAID for it. If someone went around looking for people to do MY job for free, or “for fun and just the kicks of it, but we will not be held liable for the lack of kicks OR fun, all rights reserved”, I’d be pissed as well.
    Because it would devalue my job in people’s eyes as something that is essentially worthless, or at least so abundant that paying for it seems almost absurd.

• leeman7957

May 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I dont know …. A hand shake I dont think would kill james especially for free labor.

• brandrone

May 9, 2012 at 12:46 am

I know this is an old thread, but this is the internet and I had to throw my $0.02 in.

1 – I was an extra on set Saturday and Monday and both days James took time away from what he was doing to thank he extras, and personally shake their hands. Maybe you were too eager to get off set to meet him, that’s not anyone’s problem but your own.

2 – I understand that some people make their money from being an extra, and people volunteering to do it for free “devalues” their work. The fact is, that’s life. If someone wanted to do my job for free I’d be out of work, but my job sucks, if you want to verify insurance all day for free hit me up. Get a new job if you hate being an extra so much. Just because it is Hollywood doesn’t mean you have to be an actor. I am a musician and I end up paying money out of my own pocket to record, go on tour, or manufacture merchandise, and I am signed to a label (Season of Mist) . Just because people can download music for free doesn’t mean I don’t want to play music. It just makes it harder to make money.

If you hate being an extra or thought sitting on your ass all day was too much work, remember one thing, this was a “volunteer” basis. Maybe look that up and get a new job or “agent”.

• May 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm

It’s not a moral quesiton. Lucas, speilberg… DGA (director’s Guild of America)… everything they do is going to be union. They DON’T do it because they are not allowed to. If they did, they would lose their SAG signatory status on the production and then not be able to use the actors that they want to.

So… James, being and indie is perfectly allowed to do this…

It’s not a matter of morals… it’s a matter of making the film…

Leeman: he did shake hands… but if you think that you would deserve it for being on set, then you are wrong…

• May 15, 2012 at 10:54 am

Fans bring Murray to the top. Murray plays golf anytime he wants. Murray turns down GB3 without even reading. GB3 never gets made. Ultimately real fans inadvertently remain happy for Murray as much as dumb fans and fame suckers…

I have no belief that a sequel would have flopped. Especially without any attempt of making it only because the star ran away with fans love in the face of the crew who just prepared the role for him. Life is short, fuck you. Just take American Reunion for instance, it was made almost ten years after the last one with the originals and it turned out to be the best, because the cast ruled and respected the fans. They didn’t have to but they did. I don’t mind how much work you’ve done to show respect or the movie you are making. You owe no rights over the penis you put in your ass.

• ninjakage

May 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hi ! Nerd . I am a tagrapher from China , my Eglish tecnich is such poor , Beacause of the long & far distance , I can’t help you with money ,only thing I can do is just technology sugest .
    Have you tried the Canon EOS camera ? They are good stuff to make movie .

1st . EOS camera is very cheap .
    eos 550d = 600 dollar
    eos 60d = 1100 dollar
    eos 7d = 1500 dollar
    eos 5d mark II = 2100 dollar
    I think you’d better choice eos 7d

2nd . you can change the lens by you different needs

3rd . the beautiful color as film . yes I am taking about film.

4th . you can shot 1920*1080 resolution with EOS camera

anyway you can take a shot . my English is such poor but I think you can get my point . I am working for a crew by Steadicam Staberlizer . if you need some techenic support e-mail me . my chinese name is 陈元波 . big fan!

• ninjakage

May 20, 2012 at 10:31 pm

there is a ninja game : the shadow of the ninja ( or named kage in japan ) . In china , it’s calld 水上魂斗罗 translation to English is : contra above water ( maby they want to say : contra above ship) . play this game and ……

• Somarinoa