Night of the Living Dead (1968) cemetery chapel to be demolished.

James / November 2nd, 2011

You may remember this video I shot last year when I visited the cemetery featured in Night of the Living Dead (1968).

The last surviving structure from the film (other than the tombstones) is the chapel. Y’know, that old building seen in the background when Barbara and Johnny first walk into the cemetery. I just heard that the chapel is in danger of being demolished. Gary Streiner is trying to save it, as it’s a piece of classic horror film history. I just thought this was interesting news to pass along. See this link for an article with video. The page also contains a link to the facebook donation page. Maybe my own video could generate a little more interest, so spread it around.

Comments

• November 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I really wish they would consider some of these things as important pieces of not just horror film history, but film history in general. The chapel, the Ghostbusters firehouse, the big “W” (although likely natural)…it’s just weird. Especially when younger generations who are being introduced to these films for the first time may someday want to see these places as people like myself, or even you James have done. It’s really a shame.

• November 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm

The story behind this movie is so interesting. I don’t know exactly how much was adlibbed and improvised, but from what I understand, it was A LOT. For some reason, I find that movies with lots of adlibbing and improvisation much more organic, more natural, and overall more enjoyable to watch. Obviously the subject matter hits home for nearly everyone. Everybody has a natural fear of death, a natural fear of the unknown, a natural fear of being utterly alone, and this movie embodies pretty much all of those things. Sure, a lot of films and stories have explored those ideas, but not nearly as many films and stories do it with as much style as Night of the Living Dead.

Okay. I’m done gushing about the film. 🙂

• ZidaneTribal

November 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

You and your donations.

• MattMillard

November 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Um… im sorry…. I don’t see anywhere on this particular matter that he’s asking for donations

• MattMillard

November 16, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Um….im sorry….im afraid that I don’t see anywhere in this particular matter that he’s asking for donations

• cobaltnightsky

November 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Very sad, “night…” (the remake, by Savini) was my first zombie movie, a passion still going on, when I was about 12.

@Zidane: “You and your donations”

Internet fact: 90% of people want everything without paying.
    James asked for donations twice for his movie and his just sharing this one. 3 times in what? 7 years of cinemassacre.
    You show so much disrespect towards James and Mike by saying that, for the hell of work they are giving us FOR FREE.

You DON’T HAVE to pay for what’s here, so what’s the point pinpointing here?

Yes, I DID give money for the site AND for the money. For the sake of the free great job they are doing here: SHUT UP

• cobaltnightsky

November 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm

“Yes, I DID give money for the site AND for the money”
    -> read “Yes, I DID give money for the site AND for the movie”

• November 2, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I really hope the Chapel gets saved. Maybe even Restored. Then people wouldn’t be as likely to attempt taking it out again.

• November 2, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Oh My God…

You can say whatever you want about Psycho, The Birds, all of the Hammer Movies, but let’s be serious. If it weren’t for Night of the Living Dead, the 60’s style of horror would have wound up being exactly like the 30’s style of horror. A fad. Past 1973, there’s not a single horror film even in the most remote of senses that isn’t inspired by the 1960’s. That’s because of Night of the Living Dead. Horror Film would not be anywhere close as it is now; and whether that’s a positive or a negative this film deserves to have as much preservation and tribute as it can get.

It may just be the most significant horror film. Fuck Thomas Edison; Horror films began in 1908’s Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. This film is the real reason why we have a horror community, a horror genre, instead of just a ton of drive-in shit.

God Bless George A. Romero. And God Bless any pieces left of his masterpiece.

• iam_theghost

November 2, 2011 at 9:03 pm

that is too bad, it’s always a shame when movie landmarks get the axe. I was so disappointed moving to Chicago and finding out the mall from Blues Brothers and the Car-ka-bob from Wayne’s World got tore down before i got a chance to see them.

And on the subject of Donations, i normally don’t care to get involved in messageboard bickering but:

#1. as was said before everything on this site is free and donating only allows James and Mike to give more to the fans.

#2 if you click on the link you’ll notice the Donation is for Gary Streiner to keep the chapel from being demolished

• FXguy

November 3, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’d love to hear what James thought about Tom Savini’s remake.

• Asimov

November 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm

They say that the United States doesn’t have culture. Films like these are the American culture, and destroying landmarks of said films is quintessentially destroying parts of American culture.

• orangesrcool

November 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Holy shit, I have a teacher whose last name is Kramer… Maybe he’s related to the person buried at that grave.

• November 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm

That’s tragic. I’m not a big fan of the movie, but I recognize and respect it’s significance in the history of film.

@orangesrcool
    Or maybe he’s related to Cosmo? =P

• NEORaven667

November 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Damn it. I own original Night of the Living Dead. That awesome black and white film 😛 It’s sad to see the classic stuff such as this die out. I don’t know what to think except AMERICA LAND OF HISTORY OR HISTORY KILLER?

• rubemdarioescritor

November 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

Awesome!

• mgm_volnutt

November 21, 2011 at 11:52 am

HAHAHA i just love how dirt mouth motherfucker mike is

• TrevorBuresh

November 26, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I love how people have more respect for a film that is filmed there then the people burried

• November 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I’m sure the deceased all very proud to have you guys visitng them James.

• November 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Did you get the stick’s autograph?

• Stickasaurus

December 1, 2011 at 9:28 pm

It’s a shame for this to happen! I took took a pilgrimage to the cemetery and that chapel, it’s sorta like the Westren Wall of Zombie film lovers, marked with romero film quotes and the likes, it’s a surreal experience. This has sadden me.