AVGN Movie Help – Visual Effects department

James / September 28th, 2011

For the AVGN Movie, we are looking for a model/miniature builder who can create fake buildings that can break away, similar to a Godzilla movie. If you are skilled in this department and would like to help out, please send an email to Help@AVGNMovie.com .

We are also looking for someone who is skilled in puppetry or animatronics.

Also, while I’m at it, here’s a list of other kinds of help we could use. We are mostly shooting in the Los Angeles area.

* Directors of Photography
* Art Director/ Scenic Artist/ Set Builders/ Art Department
* Costume Designers
* Locations Managers/ Scouts
* Assistant Directors
* Green Screen Studios
* Grip and Electric resources

Anything you got, send along to Help@AVGNMovie.com with the respective category in the subject line.

Comments

• elamigodetumama

September 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm

thats a huge list :O

• Snejku

September 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Is anyone else than me happy that they wanna use animatronics for this movie? And not simply resort to CGI like pretty much EVERYONE these days.

• Snejku

September 28, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Also, what happend to the new comment system?

• AhhxDumb

September 28, 2011 at 11:41 pm

@Snejku Yea i liked that new comment system, what happened to it?

• September 29, 2011 at 1:45 am

Does Super Mecha Death Christ have his own assistant?

If so I’d like to apply for that position. I could keep his trailer clean, and I could make sure he only gets the green M&M’s and toss out all others.

• mantrox

September 29, 2011 at 4:14 am

Animatronics! Yay I was expecting that but it’s good to have confirmation ;) I hope you will find the right men to do it! Oh, and new comments sucked I prefer the old system by far.

• BorisCarloff

September 29, 2011 at 6:45 am

Wow-wow-wow-wow, please, tell me if there will be super mega death Christ 2000, destroying the shit out of world because of their sins. I don’t know how you will connect this shit, but that would be awesome anyway.

• theCount

September 29, 2011 at 8:35 am

ok…
    it’s actually a real movie
    a real movie with a whole bunch of work
    damn, what’s your budget? :O
    I thought this was going to be some sort of feature length avgn O.o
    holy crap
    now you got me interested

• Davoo

September 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Oh wow… buildings are gonna get crushed and destroyed? Towns and cities are gonna get fucked up? Holy shit, this movie is gonna be AWESOME. I can only imagine the crazy, hilarious things that happen in the AVGN show, now happening with real life special effects and not totally synthetic digital ones! ^d^

• JayRam

September 29, 2011 at 4:32 pm

If I lived closer to where filming is being held I’d be all over this. How about post-production services, like editing?

• AFX

September 29, 2011 at 4:51 pm

@Snejku @AhhxDumb

Mike posted in a comment (i forgot which video) saying the new comment system was causing video playback errors for some people.

• September 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm

It’s been said by everyone but…GO ANIMATRONICS!!!

• Endless Mike

September 30, 2011 at 1:51 am

Animatronix and Puppetry?! Sounds like the first, real movie in years! Too bad I live in Germany, that would be a movie worth watching on the big screen, but I doubt they show it here.

• BobJohnson

September 30, 2011 at 7:26 am

I downloaded Sony Vegas, does that help?

• BrockLobster

October 2, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I hope he’s receiving some legitimate offers for assistance on this instead of just praises. I would help, but film isn’t my expertise. Good luck, Cinemassacre.

• Zolcos

October 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm

All these positions they keep asking for makes it sound like they’re really going all out with this movie

• Luka1184

October 4, 2011 at 11:51 am

Use CG :D I have a few profesional prop builder friends. I’ve added you on Facebook, James, we can talk there :D

• Lukas Sprehn

March 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I meant I liked your page.

• sucidalspree

October 5, 2011 at 1:50 am

james ovioslly wants to do with a shot for shot instead of cg

because movies around his time used it

and i guess that he has a good reason to despise or hate CG

good luck with the movie as long as the script is good the movie can be as shitty as the games you play for all i care :D

• October 7, 2011 at 2:33 am

:) that’s my SMDC2k Action Figure btw. – it can’t move for shit but it has sound buttons using some MP3 module

Already sent this pic to James like a year ago and wanted to do an assembly vid. Never finished it though, maybe I should finally finish that.

• October 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I have a Red Epic S35. E-mail or call me if you need help.

• October 8, 2011 at 7:47 am

@ AFX
    Good. The new system was awful because it deleted all old comments from years ago.

• bambisaurus

October 11, 2011 at 3:21 am

I don’t want sound like a douche, but the title is quite confusing due to technicalities.

‘Visual Effects’ refers to digitally rendered scenes or images (GCI) that you add in post production.
    ‘Special Effects’ on the other hand is more to do with your request, which regards pyrotechnics, puppets etc. I.e. anything real and usually done live while filming.

Just thought I would let you know because people in the industry will see ‘Visual Effects’ as something different to what you have listed and this could cause confusion.

• October 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm

@bambisaurus

“Visual Effects” is defined pretty much exactly as you’ve described “Special Effects”. Did you just look that up on Wikipedia, or something? Bcz I think they got those two mixed up. I’ve been working as a Visual Effects “artist” for years now and that seems to be the one contention with the name: You’ll tell people that you do “Visual Effects” and they will automatically assume you work with computers; you always have to tell them, no, and re-explain what “Visual Effects” are: Pretty much everything other than CGI.

James is right in using “Visual Effects department” to describe what he’s asking for.

• Lukas Sprehn

March 21, 2013 at 12:04 pm

It’s a stressed word, but technically speaking MRCAB is right. But as I said, these kind of terms are very stressed and CAN apply to other things as well :)

• Luka1184

October 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Contact prop builder and musical composer and artist: Paul E. Francis. He was the friend I was talking about before :)

For soundtrack I could actually help doing a new “film theme” :D I have two professional musican friends, actually more, but these are willing to help ;) Please reply to this message :D

Best,
    - Lukas
    Stay creactive

• exilian

October 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Yeah, I was about to offer me for a movie soundtrack as well. I think I would achieve a quite appropriate O.S.T. for the kind of movie you’re planning. If you need any samples, check me and some of my (Metallica) remixes on YouTube. Cheers.

• October 19, 2011 at 3:08 am

Omg, get ahold of cerveaupro and use his Red Epic! They are serious business James. That’s about a $50,000 camera right there!

• paparz

December 2, 2011 at 4:56 am

Would wreckamovie.com be helpful?

• JamesRolfe is boss

February 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Help@AVGNMovie.com When do we get our autographs from donating on indigogo?

• joeythebigman

March 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm

• joeythebigman

March 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

my idea of effects is that after you  review the et atari game is that you get abducted by e.t. space ship and they tie you up and force you to play e.t. you escape and fight them off and blow up the ship. BANG sound and jump off before a second it blew up. IT GENIUS USE IT PLEASE JUST IMAGINE IT. IT WILL BE AWSOME. k

• Lukas Sprehn

March 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

That’s probably not going to happen. But I’m hoping for a sequel where the Nerd travels in time, and goes to the alien planet, and finds the Swordquest items, wielded by the Nostalgia Critic, or some crazy shit like that. Kind of like a prequel to this Movie, but which takes place both before and after it. Time traveling is such a weird and confusing concept haha.