CHILDOOD STUFF: Tale of the Creepy Wood Tree

James / August 4th, 2011

This is something I wrote around age 12.

The truth is that yes, the tree had a face, but it took a little imagination to see it. It happened to be the only dead tree in the forest and stuck out from all the green foliage. I had moved into a new neighborhood and the best way to make new friends was to share creepy stories. We built wood forts and called it “The Creepy Wood Club”. We even had a password to get in. To me, the forest was a magical place with the face tree being the center of it, the lord of the woods. To me, it was as mystical as the Lost Woods in Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I even used the music from the game in a movie I made called “Spirit”. It was one of my earliest live action films, shot on VHS, and without any editing. It was sort of a ripoff of Ghostbusters, where my friends and I (using plastic toy proton packs) would fight against ghosts. Supposedly, all the ghostly activity was coming from this spiritual tree. Unfortunately, the tree fell down before we finished the movie, so we explained that once the tree fell, all the ghosts disappeared. End of story. Years later, I watched the movie. It was so awful, I recorded over the only VHS tape that existed. Today, I would love to see it again. Getting rid of my old work, no matter how bad, is something I always regret. Keep everything you do. Lock it up in a trunk, put it in a closet. One day, you’ll be glad you did.

Comments

• The Kaleidoscopic God

August 4, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

The tip at the end there is a good one. I regret that I threw away almost everything I drew a few years back because I wasn’t pleased with it. Would have been awesome to look at now. But at least I still have some stuff from WAY back.

• That False Hat

August 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I burned 6 of my 10 childhood comics when I was about 15… I regret it know… But I still have 4 of them with me!

• PorkFrydRice

August 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm

There wasn’t a troll buried under that tree was there??? Your memories seem like they might have been the inspiration for Ernest Scared Stupid.

• August 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I don’t have regret destroying any old work. Just have hard feelings about people who recorded over the ones I would like to have kept. Only exists in my memory, now.

• JoEy TeRrIfYiNg

August 5, 2011 at 7:48 am

Very good tip at the end. Though I still have the majority of my work, I’ve either lost or thrown out alot of my earlier drawings throughout the years and I regret it to this day. I’d love to see them today no matter how shitty they may look. My other regret is not dating my work, having said that I’ll have to start remembering to add the date to my drawings in the future.

• Faroutdude

August 5, 2011 at 11:07 am

This story just made me shit my britches. Im staying the fuck away from “Creepy Woods”

• AnKun

August 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

Not me I wouldn’t regret. I write music. And the most thing I hate is to write a shitty music (but I know it going to be shitty to some, it’s the taste after all), and if it sounds shitty to me, I wipe it clean. There’s dozens of hours of music I’ve deleted like that forever.

• BobJohnson

August 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm

interesting

• BobJohnson

August 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm

also, I threw away everything in my past and everyday I have an existential crisis because I don’t have any ties to anything.

• August 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I destroy everything from my past. Even people.

• August 5, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Like you i was fan of many horror movies as a kid,ofcourse one of my favorites was also pet semetary.The first horror film cover that i saw when i was in the age of 10 if i remember correctly was fright night.In a video store that you rend video cassetes when we were dismissed from the class i was going in the store that was open across the school of ours and sit there and wach the vhs covers from many movies.The fright night cover was the one that make me a realy good impretion because of that big scary cloud above the house,that freaked me out at that time.Some years later i have wached the film without realizing that this was the one.You talk about scary trees in your storie back then,and i am remember the scary cloud above that house,we are realy nostalgik troopers arent we?
    Sayyyy do you realy think that the dead animals are responsible for this strange tree over your back yard? or just maybe it was the tree from poltergeist,who knows.

• August 5, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Then again thank the god that wasn’t the pervert tree from evil dead he he he

• August 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

So true about hanging on to your work James, I can’t tell you how much i regret getting rid of old music and art i’ve done. It’s a timeless reminder of who you were at that very moment in your life, no matter how good or bad it was, it was you.

• frostare

August 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm

When young me and my friends did plan to make a couple of movies, there is but one we actually make but I guess we should’ve read your advice before, heh… It was awful! At least I´m glad I kept the game ideas I did in the past! One in paper, another in a cassette.

• August 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I’ll have to remember that advice in the future, lest I manage to find a way to make a comic idea work out marvelously – no pun intended.

• August 5, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I’ve always regretted not keeping my old work as well. Even worse, the work I did try to keep all got lost in one way or another. Usually it was unreliable storage media, but sometimes theft or sabotage. A trunk is not enough, get a fireproof safe!

• spideyman2099

August 6, 2011 at 2:22 am

I wish I would’ve done that but I only had to VHS tapes back then so I had to keep re-recording over the movies I made and now those tapes are gone :(

• Goatrider

August 6, 2011 at 4:31 am

Childood?

• TomM

August 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Interesting story. I have to say the advice at the end is good. I have gotten rid of so many things in the past that I regret it now… Thanks for posting.

• david wev

August 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

for a kids drawing thats some pretty spooky imagery, well done :D

• RNJ

August 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Those old drawings really come in handy, I learned that the old sketches I had put away has been new finds to me, and has sparked new stories from old ideas… thanks for putting this up James. RNJ

• August 9, 2011 at 1:00 am

One of the reasons I like coming to Cinemassacre is that I used to make home movies on my old VHS camera back when I was a kid, too. That shot of James in the Dick Tracy costume in that one AVGN episode seriously looks like something from one of our films. Recently, I moved all those VHS tapes to DVD and it was quite a thrill to see all that imagination (and sometimes lack of it) at work. I’m missing a couple of the movies we made as well, so I know what a drag it is to have these important, developmental creations that you’ll just never get to see again.

Here, I’m usually not someone who supports link-spamming in a thread, but it’s sort of on topic and, you know, don’t click on it if you’re not interested. I’m honestly not whoring for clicks here. (If anything, the films are kind of embarrassing and better off not seen!) A few months back I put together a quick compilation of some bits of our old 80s movies. Same sort of stuff James was talking about, but probably even more amateurish:

I wonder if kids today make movies like this anymore. It was such a special treat to be able to make a movie back then and we really appreciated the chance to do it.

• Xilex90

August 12, 2011 at 10:32 am

my freind won’t let me throw away my old stuff. she says you’ll never know when you want to see it again.

• Jeffistopheles

August 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Being there is no surviving print of this (much like London After Midnight), there is only one thing for it.

A Cinemassacre reboot!

I’d watch it anyways.

• MECHAGARY

January 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

In Matthews county, VA.

There’s a place called,, “Old House Woods”. It’s still there, and the tales that come out of this place are so incredibly bizarre, and creepy, you just wouldn’t believe it. I went there about 15 years ago. I won’t write it all out now, but something really weird did happen to us that day there. Something is just not right with that place.