Zelda book (written age 13)

James / July 28th, 2011

This is a Zelda book I wrote at age 13, handwritten. It’s a PDF file because it’s several pages, so click here to see it.

Comments

• warwagon

July 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm

You should type it up in Word. 😀

• You Can Just Walk Over It

July 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I wasn’t expecting it to be over 80 pages. That’s how great old games are with simple graphics or minimal story, you use your imagination and create your own story as you play the game with your own experiences. I liked the reference to the fake master sword too, lots of attention to other detail too.

On the NES Zelda, it came with a partial map of the overworld, and it was lots of fun filling it in or writing notes along the way. Nowadays people just find a walktrhough or full map with locations online. One game that overdid it was CastleQuest on NES. It came with a map of the entire game, but it had arrows going everywhere showing you exactly what path to take, save for solving the puzzles in each room. It felt like a huge rube goldberg plan but was so satisfying to finish. I’ve never made requests, but I’d love to see AVGN go crazy over CastleQuest and the ‘impossible’ non linearity of it without using the included map.

• TomM

July 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

That was great. I’m a big fan of Zelda and I actually learned a few things. Nice work!

• shawnji_us

July 28, 2011 at 11:54 pm

You said you were 13 years old when you wrote this? Was the lack of lower case letters intentional? I’m not trying to talk down to you about this or anything, because I did stuff like this when I was kid too. I just remember having pretty good grammar and penmanship by around age 8. I was also already writing in cursive by that point, so it just makes me curious.

• Sam the Beast

July 29, 2011 at 6:50 am

very well Done James
    must taken ages to do that LOL
    I’d like to see you finish though, even though your like 18 years older

• pal

July 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

This is lovely. and I love your handwriting and cute drawings of the characters. I also like the fact you didnt re-type your work and that you just presentered as it is, it gives you that feeling of getting to know that 13 year old hardcore zelda fan. It is a feeling that makes you apreciate the effort even more. You rock my friend I admire you so much. this confirms you were a genius from the start, and that you like to express your ideas and show your love for your passions, and it is great to know you were doing it even at that early age.

• Ecrofirt

July 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I wrote a Zelda book when I was 11 (Not that long though, just about 10 word pages ^^) It was about the first part in Ocarina of time, the one played as young Link 🙂

• mastodon0124

July 31, 2011 at 1:42 am

GREAT JOB I’M A HUGE ZELDA FAN AND I ALSO LEARNED SOME STUFF

• TheEpicStickman

August 1, 2011 at 4:41 am

Good Shit man! I grew up with ocarina of time at a young age and I remember that game 50X better than ALttP Since I completed ALttp 5 months ago, so OoT has more nostalgia value for me. I once drew a picture in my elementary school art class that depicted link standing outside Ganon’s castle in Oot, sort of similar to what you did with this book.

• TheEpicStickman

August 1, 2011 at 4:49 am

Good Shit man! I grew up with ocarina of time at a young age and I remember that game 50X better than ALttP Since I completed ALttp 5 months ago and beat it 3 more times since, so OoT has more nostalgia value for me. I once drew a picture in my elementary school art class that depicted link standing outside Ganon’s castle in Oot, sort of similar to what you did with this book.

• CoreyXP

August 1, 2011 at 9:36 am

Pretty good — looks like a hybrid of “A Link to the Past,” “Ocarina of Time,” and even [a foreshadowing of] “Twilight Princess,” what with the light/dark worlds and the mirror. Pretty creative for a 13 year old!

• August 1, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I liked it, I found it to be a history of the zelda series…and alot of the information you had must have been searched high and low for due to the lack of info in the game themselves…the instruction booklets had some stuff but still…..did alot come from nintendo power?

• The Kaleidoscopic God

August 3, 2011 at 7:29 pm

@You Can Just Walk Over It:

“Nowadays people just find a walktrhough or full map with locations online.”

*sigh*

I really hope you meant to say “a lot of people” or “some people”.

• trumpetboy96

August 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I recentely found a zelda book i wrote in the fourth grade… But its only about 20 pages though haha