Comic Con 2011 coverage

James / July 25th, 2011

I attended Comic Con 2011, and reported on the events with Spike.com, for the third year in a row.

My first update has me talking about arriving at Comic Con and not making it into my first panel, due to Comic Con’s traffic control randomly blocking me from two different directions. It didn’t help that there’s no consistency as to when you’re allowed to get into the building. People were jammed up against the entrances and weren’t let inside until 9:30am, only a half hour before the Deadliest Warrior panel started, so it was not enough time for me to physically get to the panel. (People who DIDN’T have badges yet were getting into the building at 9am. Go figure.) A disappointing first update.

SEE VIDEO #1 HERE.

Since Day 1 began with a shaky start, I went to the giant dealer room and headed off to the comics section, the least crowded part of “Comic”-Con. One of the cutaways they used in the video I find hilarious, because actually yes, I’ve seen the movie “The Stuff.”  (The part shown on the poster is its best moment.)

SEE VIDEO #2 HERE

One part that did not make it into the above video was when I talked about meeting the guys from Hollywood Treasure, definitely one of my favorite current shows on TV. They find, authenticate, and auction movie props. They brought many of the Back to the Future props with them, including one of the DeLoreans from Part 3. (Not to be confused with the replica DeLorean which was being shown somewhere else on the Comic Con floor.)

This next update was shot during Day 2, where I talk about what happened the night before. I saw the new Beavis and Butthead clips where they make fun of the current reality shows on MTV.

Best of all, I got into a VIP party and met one of my favorite directors, Robert Rodriguez. His book Rebel Without a Crew encouraged me to pursue filmmaking, when I read it at age 15. I learned from him that you can do it outside of Hollywood. You can do it your own way. That’s the Cinemassacre style, and I owe a lot from him. He told me he’s writing two more books, which sound great!

SEE VIDEO #3 HERE

This next update is all about the panels I saw on Day 2, a very successful day! I saw the “Captains” panel with William Shatner, Avery Brooks, and Scott Bakula, moderated by Kevin Smith. The highlight was when Shatner got up and screamed “KHAAAAAAN!” with the crowd and held it for a long long time! I shot it on my B-roll camera, but unfortunately, it was not used in the video.

Next I saw the Legendary Pictures panel, hoping to hear something about the upcoming Godzilla film. Unfortunately, not a single word was spoken about it. Instead, Guillermo “fucking” Del Toro talked about a new monster movie he’s making called Pacific Rim. He curses a lot. Sounds like my kind of guy. Next was Seventh Son with Jeff Bridges and Paradise Lost with Bradley Cooper. These films are in their early stages, so only a few images were available, mostly conceptual stuff.

Then they showed a trailer for Mass Effect 3, right after they talked about movie adaptations of video games. Although the trailer was a video game. ??? I was very confused, and I ranted on how video game trailers never show the gameplay, they only show cut scenes and advertise it the same way as if it were a movie trailer. I hate that! Unfortunately, this rant was cut from the video.

Then I talk about how Conan O’Brien crashed the Green Lantern panel! It was AWESOME! Funniest panel I’ve ever seen. Every question, Conan followed with a lightning fast and hilarious response, he was in top gear, even more hyper than on his show. Amazing.

SEE VIDEO #4 HERE

Next, I went into the Rifftrax panel. If you’re not familiar with Rifftrax, they’re the same guys from MST3K. They make hilarious audio commentary tracks to current day and old movies. Coming up next, they’ll be riffing on Jack the Giant Killer, a fantasy adventure film from 1962 with stop motion effects that are not as good as Ray Harryhausen’s effects, but still very enjoyable to watch. I imagine it will make great material for Rifftrax, nevertheless.

Also, as noted in the video, the rooms at Comic Con at this point were beginning to reek of sweat. They should start giving out deodorant.

Then I saw the premiere of Batman: Year One, the new animated film based on the Frank Miller comic. If you liked the comic, you will surely like the film. It sticks very close. Thumbs up.

SEE VIDEO #5 HERE

In my final recap I talk about the positives and negatives of Comic Con. The one thing I failed to articulate in the video was that the security guards don’t let people sit on the floor to eat, and you’re often told not to stand around and “loiter” either, so you have to keep moving.

SEE VIDEO #6 HERE

Comments

• luckyfish135

July 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm

it looks like you had fun and thats cool that you reported with spike.

• itscmillertime

July 26, 2011 at 12:16 am

James my man, I gotta say you have gotten really good at this. I’ll be honest, last year you didn’t seem as at ease in front of the camera. Now you’re a regular host and very professional. I really enjoyed watching these. Keep it up!

• stoutartist

July 26, 2011 at 1:05 am

Good job man! Always enjoy seeing your work and I’m looking forward to the many great things that are to come. Make it home safe!

• July 26, 2011 at 1:24 am

Is the AVGN trying to reinvent himself as something else ? Gods I hope not, that look is horrible !

• July 26, 2011 at 2:03 am

Great job as always, James. Kind of surprised that there was no mention of the new TMNT, though.

• Shiki

July 26, 2011 at 2:08 am

Great job man. Remember, you always have the support of the fans, your friends, and your family, keep up the ggod work.

• Abstrakt

July 26, 2011 at 8:16 am

Already you are better at reporting than most of the guys at spike and gt..

• marvelmite

July 26, 2011 at 9:30 am

For some reason I’m not able to view any of the videos you on on spike. I have an updated flash player but for some reason they wont play. Anyone have any suggestions

• faddiego83

July 26, 2011 at 10:36 am

So you WERE there! Man, I even asked someone at Spike.tv if you were maybe gonna be signing autographs, and he made it sound like you weren’t at the convention at all. Not that I wanted to bother you or anything, I just would’ve loved to have seen you.

Ah well.

• PorkFrydRice

July 26, 2011 at 11:51 am

Probably the coolest thing for me that James saw wasn’t even in any of the videos. It was when he mentions meeting the guys from Hollywood Treasures on here. That’s one of my favorite shows too and I think it’d be one of the coolest jobs ever to work there.

• July 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Dammit I knew you were @ Comic Con somewhere… there was just too many people… I wanted to say hello 🙁

• TomM

July 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Great work, James. I really hope they fix the lines and stuff for the next one!

• Nintendofan97

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm

to bad they didnt show pokemon

• July 26, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I passed by Comic-Con this weekend by total accident. I forgot all about it until I made it into San Diego and I happened to go to the mall right beside it and I was hoping to maybe at least catch a glimpse of James, but didn’t.

I may not have gotten a chance to see one of my heroes, but at least I was close! So close!

• pedbat

July 27, 2011 at 9:53 am

conan o brien ftw

• kunedog

July 27, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Unfortunately, *none* of the Spike videos have ever worked for me either. I hope at some point (even if months or years in the future) they could be hosted on a different site in a better player.

• July 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for that interesting snippet of Comic-con. Interesting to see that Pat the NES Punk popped up in a few scenes. Which reminds me, I need to catch up on his stuff.

And yeah, Comic-con has gotten really bloated, to say the least, haha.

• Lish

July 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Great job hosting, James! I love the perspective as a typical visitor, hehe. You should appear at more conventions!

• July 30, 2011 at 10:15 pm

These videos are Awesome!!!!

• August 2, 2011 at 12:35 am

Empty the fucking rooms!!!!!!!!!!

I think the aria upstairs, outside, and ocean-side is where people should be able to go sit-down and eat, but it’s always fulled up will fucking lines!!! Otherwise it’s a fire marshal issue. The security is only fallowing the law.

Yeah, I had that same problem, one morning, with having to walk ALL THE WAY AROUND just to get to a room that was on the other side of the rope.

• PJOP

August 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm

what about the my little pony stuff?