Ghostbusters firehouse being shut down?

James / May 20th, 2011

There’s been talk of the Ghostbusters firehouse, Hook and Ladder 8 in NYC, going out of business. Forgetting the nostalgic value of Ghostbusters, how does a FIREHOUSE go out of business?! I’m not sure if this is definitely happening or not, but it is ironic. In the first Ghostbusters movie, the firehouse was abandoned before the Ghostbusters bought it. Looks like it might be that way for real now.

avclub.com article

cinemablend.com article

You can see the firehouse in my Ghostbusters documentary Follow That Marshmallow.

Comments

• Vallinen

May 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

:O! Oh noes!

• empire

May 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm

New Cinemassacre HQ?

• xdeathknightx

May 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Time for the Rolfe family to move in there :D

• May 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm

It’s funny… when I saw the reports of Bloomberg shutting down several borough firehouses including Manhattan the thought crossed by mind if this location would be a part of this. Sad to read that it really may be, I’ve never actually got a chance to visit yet! Here’s hoping that it doesn’t fall victim to this after all.

• Mr. Arkadin

May 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm

You know how your local government always wants to raise your property taxes by a few mils or they’ll have to lay off policemen or firefighters?

• 1randomdude

May 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Someone has to buy it and make a ghostbusters museum

• May 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm

If there’s a fire in that neighborhood, who are they gonna call?

• May 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm

SAVE THE CLOCK TOWER! I mean firehouse!

• May 20, 2011 at 3:41 pm

fuck that once out of business i am buying it for myself!

• May 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Ghostbusters 3 confirmed. ^__~

• Jehauri

May 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm

A few months after your Ghostbusters sightseeing video was posted, I unexpectedly and suddenly found myself with the opportunity to visit New York City, and took a look at the firehouse myself (and the apartment building too, though that was by accident- I noticed a familiar-looking building off on the horizon and it turned out to be Dana’s… your video, showing the wall and shut down Tavern on the Green, was actually a lot of help in verifying that I had the right one, as it was covered in scaffolding).

When I saw it for myself, they opened up the doors, and I was surprised to see how much smaller the firehouse was inside than in the movies… it was incredibly narrow, with just enough room to get past the fire engine on either side, and I imagine it must have been very cramped in the other areas too. So maybe they’re shutting it down just because it’s getting too old and outdated to meet the needs of modern firemen?

• ctu

May 20, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I hope somebody saves it if they close it down.

• May 20, 2011 at 5:40 pm

How is that ironic? It looks more like a coincidence to me.

• TherealMofoMike

May 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hey dumfuck prick suck cock suck. When da duck you making anodder avgn video?!? Yeah! That’s right! I’m calling you out on your bullshit! You missed this month and quite frankly I’m really pissed off!

• ralphpotato

May 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I’m going to go set my residency in New York next to that fire station just so I can say that I don’t want my life endangered if there is a fire because there would be no firehouses close enough.

People of NY need to speak up here.

• May 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

i live in brooklyn, and yeah ive heard reports of this happening on the radio :/

• cloob1

May 20, 2011 at 7:34 pm

If only one of us who loves Ghostbusters as much as we do could buy it, keep it, and… fuck, I’ve had to much to drink.

I love you guys.

• Kenshiroh

May 20, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Is it on the National Register of Historic Places? If not, we should try to get it on there so someone doesn’t tear the building down.

Mrs. Bernadette Castro
    State Historic Preservation Officer
    Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Pres.
    Empire State Plaza
    Agency Building 1, 20th Floor
    Albany, New York 12238-
    518-474-0443

• May 20, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Apparently this isn’t the only station that’s being threatened. I read that about 20 fire stations in New York City are being considered for closure. It seems to be a controversial move on the Mayor’s (or whoever it is) part so it may not actually happen.

Either way, I agree, it should be listed as a historic place. Hook and Ladder 8 is in the Tribeca neighborhood and were the first ones on the scene during 9/11.

• 12xu

May 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm

when is the may episode coming up?it’s almost june …….

• May 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm

OK, several fire stations are in danger of being shut down in one of the greatest and most beautiful cities in the world and most of you are more concerned that James hasn’t released an AVGN episode this month despite the fact that he’s stated that he’s going to stop making them to focus on his movie. Either grow up or fuck off!

• Night_Hawk

May 20, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Shut up about the AVGN episodes. Hes having a break from them, and starting to begin the movie.

• Analbag Thats Me

May 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Hopefully it is closing down because some rich Ghostbusters fan offered the city $10M for it to turn it into a museum :D

• Analbag Thats Me

May 20, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Also, The Real Mofo Mike, if you can’t even spell properly or use correct grammar, perhaps you should reconsider insulting the guy who makes awesome videos for you to watch for free and be a little more supportive of him when he is trying to pursue his goals and dreams. Jesus what an asshole lol

• May 20, 2011 at 11:33 pm

With a third Ghostbusters movie on the horizon, I would think it to be a perfect casting choice to have James as one of the new recruits.

Seriously James, you should get contact with someone involved with the film. It would be a great way to make some extra cash for the AVGN movie.

• Deefmaster

May 21, 2011 at 12:24 am

I kinda wish you hadn’t posted this James, because it’s really hard not to get on the soapbox about how terrible our mayor is, but I won’t go there. Just know that the chances of this firehouse closing aren’t as great as you might be led to believe. I’ll just put it that way and spare the political discussion.

It’s worth noting that real estate in that neighborhood is ridiculously exclusive, so that firehouse will never be abandoned. If somehow it did manage to close, it wouldn’t be unoccupied for too long before the city found another use for it or sold it to a developer. Or, after realizing that fire response times have become unacceptable, reopen it (has happened before).

Right now, that neighborhood is already up in arms because the police station across the street from ladder 8 is closing it’s stables and converting the space into offices. It won’t be long before the battle to keep these things open starts to get ugly for the mayor.

• May 21, 2011 at 3:24 am

Off-Topic: Hello from Russia! Good luck to you Doomsday!))
    Happiness, health and love!)

• Eduárd István Szász

May 21, 2011 at 4:48 am

Another off topic: Where’s AVGN for this month? Did you abandon me for my birthday? :( (

• 12xu

May 21, 2011 at 5:19 am

@BasementSteve
    I was just asking you cunt.I didn’t saw any announcements where he said that.Either respond in a polite way or go eat a dick

• Jehauri

May 21, 2011 at 6:26 am

People saying Ghostbusters 3 is confirmed, what’s your source? I can’t find any that weren’t posted on April 1st.

• May 21, 2011 at 10:15 am

@Eduárd István Szász
    I was wondering the same thing! Isn’t it supposed to be E.T. this month? (or it was at least implied he would be reviewing E.T.)

• May 21, 2011 at 11:35 am

For everyone asking about AVGN, here is the announcement from March 28.

Bottom line: The AVGN movie is in pre-production. The episodes are on a break until I can get things under control.

• Kanger

May 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Being a resident of NYC let tell you that funding to public services such as Fire Depts, Hospitals, and Schools are usually the first to get cut from the budget. It’s rather sad that Mayor Bloomberg is more about the bottom line than common sense…

• Laughs

May 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm

They should turn it into a Ghostbusters museum… How cool would that be!

• caseymike1

May 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I think one of 2 things should happen.

1. Some Ghostbusters fans should make it into a museum and/or fan convention center.

2. Some Ghost hunter group should buy it haha.

• Dark Omega

May 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Besides it being the Ghostbuster place, why should anyone care? They shut down firehouses in my city too.Ya know what? He survived, NYC will too.

• 12xu

May 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I think it’s better to put an announcement on the front page so people will stop asking..i know it can be annoying.Good luck with the movie :)

• z

May 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Well thats the way of the shity economy.. but hey James.. That would make a new kick ass Cinemassacre headquarts!.. just saying

• tsburesh

May 22, 2011 at 5:28 am

This is unfortunate but NY is broke, people of all classes are over taxed, the upperclass paying over 50% on average so they have no place else to steel… I mean tax more money from. If there going to take that much from hard working people they can at least prioritize where the money goes to the NEEDED services first.

• Strazdas

May 22, 2011 at 8:06 am

Nowadays everything is corporation politics based. if firehouse doesnt bring in profit it gets out of business. firehouse can bring profit by saving people form fire, thus lowering the social pay load for city. thats about the basic reasoning nowadays. nobody cares about your security, all they care about is which way is cheaper.

• Eduárd István Szász

May 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Thanks, James for pointing this out.

• Murphy2112

May 22, 2011 at 10:44 pm

It’s just a firehouse, in a city with hundreds of firehouses. Sometimes you have to trim the fat.

• Daniel

May 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

They should totally turn it into a Ghostbusters museum.

• May 24, 2011 at 7:58 pm

@ 12xu\

Go eat a dick? That’s original. Good comeback.

Actually that’s a little too salty for my taste. I’m not knocking your personal sexual preference… I’m just saying.

Personally, I prefer Sweet and Sour, You know… Kind of like you’re mother. Although, in my opinion, she’s a bit too peppery.