AroundPhilly interview

James / April 14th, 2011

Here’s a recent interview of me by Chris Lipczynski. It’s a nice article. Check it out.

Comments

• ovafaze

April 14, 2011 at 8:59 am

That’s cool to know the AVGN movie won’t be taking place in the basement the whole time. I can of figured that. If it’s anything like Wayne’s world, then it should be good. Best of luck.

• tehmuffinzman

April 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

I wonder if they realize that you have a name beyond “The Angry Video Game Nerd”, I don’t think that article had your real name anywhere. (Can’t wait for the movie by the way, think you could reveal some of the locations it’ll be in sometime soon?).

• benjigoenitz

April 14, 2011 at 1:09 pm

woaaaaa!! Zelda a Link to the past!!! is my favorite Zelda game =)!!!, i hope the new AVGN movie!!

• AikoujOi

April 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Great interview James, can’t wait for the movie

• TomM

April 14, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Awesome interview. I would have liked to know why the SNES is your favorite console (maybe you said why before, I don’t remember) but that’s OK. I’d have to agree that Night of The Living Dead is one of my favorite horror movies.

• JackeeLee

April 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Great interview James. Your popularity is really taking off huh? Good thing you grew up in Philly or we might not have AVGN! Cant wait for updates on the movie

• GoldenFrog

April 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I love CG and the endless possibilities it presents but i totally agree that it shouldnt be the only means of effects. Animatronics, puppets/costumes and physical effects were more convincing and i hope they dont totally die out. That would be a shame.
    Also, i so cant wait for your movie !!

• RetroGamerK91

April 14, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Not a bad interview, although I would’ve been nice if they mentioned your name, because you’re more than the AVGN. But I agree with your points on modern games and horror movies. CGI is awesome if not over-used, and that’s the problem these days. That, and they always go for the stero-typical gritty-style, with the dark toned score. Not that’s a HUGE problem, I just miss the older style horror movies, and that seems to your style is based off in some ways, so you can say I’m looking forward to what you put out. Don’t you just miss the horror movies that start off like family-comedies? X D And modern games, although it’s cool to see gaming has become more advanced and in-depth, a lot of them can be quite time-consuming to where you’ll lose track of time, where you’ll feel like you’ve been playing for only 2 hours, but in reality you’ve only been playing for 6. It’s happened to me quite often, which is why I’m jumping more back into retro-gaming again. They’re simple and basic, press A, press B, you got the D pad, you’re all set. Games like these actually can be beaten in 2 hours. And I can see exactly why gamers from your generation lean towards the classics. They also had a charm that can’t be matched by the likes of Halo or Call of Duty. Games of all kinds have their own uniqueness to them. And as for the AVGN, it sounds like it could be one of my new favorite movies! Good luck on making it, and you got my support, that’s for sure. Sorry for going on as long as I did, I’m not usually such a rambler, I was just relating.
    P.S: I believe I once heard that you like the SNES because every game to indeed ‘Super’. You had ‘Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, Super Street Fighter 2 (and it’s countless follow-ups), Super Mario Kart, Super this, Super that, the SNES had a lot going on for super-great games. Donkey Kong Country has to be one of my all-time favorites for that system, though.

• dEEPZoNE

April 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Looking forward to the movie. Hope you film this in a better format than the avgn video segments,
    Ever considered 3D ? The new Sony dual 1080p 3D cam is out now.
    Just finished putting together my arcrade that was placed at a local bar for about 1 year for “beta testing”.
    A full-size arcade machine I have in my apartment. No damage on the arcade after one year in a bar.
    Love the x-arcade sticks. They market them as indestructible. And so they are.
    First thing I played n the arcade to test was ” zombies ate my neighbors” love that game.
    I found a password that takes you to the credit level where you talk to Lucas and the developers.
    A funny thing I saw was that The Fat Man who composed the music for 7th guest.
    So, James.. How do feel about “Zombies ate my neighbors” ?

• ajgenard

April 14, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Yeah it’s a shame his name isn’t even mentioned. I imagine it’s nice to be famously recognized for a character but probably not so great when it overshadows the other work you’re proud of. I’m sure James pretty much expects that now.

• Mr. Arkadin

April 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Cool look at 70s cartoons in general and Star Blazers in particular. Reminds me of James’ stuff:

• Strazdas

April 16, 2011 at 6:16 am

Next stop: comic con

• Darylwolf

April 16, 2011 at 9:32 pm

est ce que aroundphilly c’est les version anglaise d’around-ophile(mot inexistant)

• April 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Interesting interview. It’s good that you’re taking time off, you need it. We’re definitely looking forward to your future things you put out, that’s for sure.

• odfghrtjyt