TRON: Disney sweeps the original under the rug?

James / January 17th, 2011

You can find almost any movie on DVD. “Jesse James Meets Frankenstein’s Daughter”, “The Adventures of Rat Phink and Boo Boo”,  and even “The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies.” No joke. But “TRON”? … Not on DVD.

Of course, we’re not talking about the new “Tron: Legacy” which is playing in theaters now, but the original Tron from 1982. That’s not to say the original doesn’t exist on DVD, but it’s currently out of print. On Netflix, it is completely unavailable. Not even for instant play. On Amazon.com, the only way to buy it is from third party sellers who ask for $50 to $219.99 for just one copy! On Ebay, I’ve seen it listed for as much as $299.99.

How could this classic 80’s movie… this groundbreaking pioneer in special effects, with lots of retro appeal, with a brand new sequel playing in theaters now… suddenly become a rare film? There’s been lots of speculation and rumor that Disney is trying to keep the original hidden, at least for now, until after the new Tron movie finishes its theatrical run. I don’t have any proof that this is true, but if it IS, then this is the worst marketing mistake in movie history. How would it help a sequel’s success to make the original harder to find? What kind of logic is that?

Whenever a sequel comes out, many people rush to see the original to catch up. Imagine if when the new Rambo movie came out, you couldn’t watch the older ones. How about Indiana Jones? What if the new movie came out, and the original trilogy just disappeared? Sure with Tron: Legacy, it’s not absolutely mandatory that you have to see the original to understand the new one, but there are definitely moments like dusting off Flynn’s abandoned arcade that convey a feeling of nostalgia towards the original. How are today’s audience supposed to feel the full impact without having seen the first one?

So what’s Disney’s issue? Are they worried about people confusing the two movies? Do they think someone is going to walk into a video store and see the original Tron on the shelf and think it’s the same as the new movie that’s playing now? I’ve heard that Disney test screened the original somewhere and audiences laughed at it. I don’t know if that’s true, but if they’re so worried that the original is dated and doesn’t hold up today, then WHY MAKE A SEQUEL ANYWAY?

No one in their right mind would think that making a high demand movie unavailable will keep people from pirating it. Whoever wants to see it will find a way to see it anyway. Otherwise, they may hold off on seeing the new one, just because they want to see the original first.

Of course, we all know, the original Tron will probably come out on DVD/Blu-ray with an all new special edition and bonus features galore. But earlier, in preparation for Tron: Legacy’s release, would have been the BEST time. Instead, the only people profiting off it now are Ebay sellers and bootleggers. Good work, Disney. (Or whoever’s responsible for dropping the ball.)

I know I’m late to this topic. People have been discussing this for months already. I just learned of it and wanted to chip in. Besides, if you do get a chance to see the new Tron, you have nothing to lose. It’s pretty good!

Comments

• horrorfan390

January 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I think there doing this so that people go to the new movie based on nostalgia, instead of actually seeing what the original movie was like.

• WillWill

January 17, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Yup… I completely agree(d) with you on this one. I said “fuck it”, and d/l’ed a copy off a torrent site because there was no way I was going into a theater with a fuzzy memory about the Tron universe — what, with all it’s unique lingo, and characters, and what-not…

Disney dropped the ball. Hope someone got fired over it, because the cash-ship has already cast-off, and is long gone. Nice work, Disney!

• January 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I think i will never know if its related but back in may of last year I made a review of the original Tron and published on Youtube.. the day after that Youtube closed my account …!!!

I really dont know what’s the deal with that movie.. but its pretty strange… deep in my heart., I have a grudge against disney.. and Im very tempted to sell my copy of the 20th anniversary DVD edition of the movie…

• January 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Well I’m sure the marketing mistake somehow paid off because of the success of the sequel. I didn’t bother watching the sequel in theaters because I haven’t seen the original which I know I should. Still, I’m sure both films can be seen as seperate films for the time they were made. When both films do come out on Blu-Ray, I’ll probably rent them first or just blind buy them.

It’s already rumored of a third TRON film in the works. If both films are good, I would be happy to see the trilogy completed in theaters (and maybe in 3D if possible)!

• markedward

January 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I got the original TRON on DVD last year, around… maybe April or so?

But I have no doubt that if the original TRON is now missing from DVD shelves, it’s either because everyone went out and bought it when the news of TRON: Legacy finally went big, or because Disney put it in the “vault” in order to make tons of cash when they finally repackage it as the “You haven’t seen this in decades, so come make us tons of cash” edition.

• Superku

January 17, 2011 at 9:37 pm

That’s the usual marketing of Disney, they always let their products become rare (I’m talking f.i. about their cartoon DVDs) and publish a new (special) edition some years later (4-5?).

Even though it’s a pitty that TRON is not available on DVD, I think it’s even more sad that “Who’s Harry Crumb?” did not hit the DVD medium at all. 🙁

BTW (@MMike or James): (How) Can I change my password?

• thunderPIN

January 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm

James,
    I got the answer to your concerns. TRON is coming to DVD and Blu-Ray this year.

• January 17, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Hey James, I happen to have the DVD that came out about 5 years back. If you’re needing a copy immediately to do a retro review for this site, or Spike, or even just to view for your own amusement, I’m happy to donate it to you. Drop me a line if you’re interested. Cheers.

• ShadowPen

January 17, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I got the original Tron on UMD (yeah, yeah, I know) for about $5.

Best $5 I’ve ever spent.

• joerammstein

January 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I’m just gonna say it, the original Tron is a boring suckfest. Our rose-colored memories of it are best left untouched, and Disney knows it.

Yes, history will always remember Tron as a special effects marvel, but it was never actually considered a good movie, not then, not now.

Honestly, the only good thing about Tron was the bike scene. And hey, you could say the same thing about Legacy.

So at least the sequel stays true to its roots by being an overly expensive snooze.

• RyuKitsune

January 17, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Huh…I had no idea that you couldn’t find the original Tron. Sounds a bit shitty to me. I smell a conspiracy!

• chimeradave

January 17, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I had no problem getting Tron from Netflix 3 years ago. That’s so weird the Disney could tell them not to rent it anymore.

• apogue

January 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I remember seeing cheap copies of Tron for sale at Sam’s Club just a while back. It was about $10 and was one of those cheap DVD’s where the special features are “Scene Selection” and “Stereo Sound.” The case was so light that it felt like it was just the DVD inside. I’ll check for it the next time I go there, but I definitely saw it there.

• etc_o_x

January 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I remenber, saw the 20th aniversary dvd the last year in k-mart. I didnt know its was so dificult to find dvd of tron.

• Veio

January 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Fuck consumerism, Use torrents! 🙂

• cdude9590

January 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

The original is going to re-released on Blu-ray/DVD when Legacy comes out on home video. http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/DisneyBuena_Vista/Disc_Announcements/Potential_Tron_Blu-ray_Box_Art_Revealed/6141

• Bick Benedict

January 17, 2011 at 10:58 pm

If you really wanted to see the movie, 50 bucks isn’t that much to pay I wouldn’t think. If the supply goes down, the price goes up: that’s basic economics. I hike my prices when selling online when I have a rare item. Whey not get the most money for it, especially when someone will pay it. Don’t know nothing about Tron… I was two when it came out. God damn, I’m old. :*(

• daemonncorps

January 17, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Disney releases by far have one of the strangest home releases out there.

Not only are they the first movies that come to mind when I consider movies that unnecessarily deck out their releases with nothing but the same movie in a different format (4-disc sets with a DVD, Blu-Ray, Digital Copy, and Blu-Ray Special Features Disc? Time to go halfsies… or I guess fourthsies in this case.) but to add to that their whole “Disney Vault” concept is just plain ridiculous.

While the whole idea of a DVD being completely out of print from a company that clearly has the ability to release it in any and all forms possible isn’t new to me (I do follow Funimation’s releases from time to time) this whole dealie with Tron is just well… even more ridiculous on top of the ridiculous sundae that Disney’s already got for themselves.

• the12ofSpades

January 17, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I think that Disney was afraid that the new loud, explosion hungry generation that this movie is market towards would see the original and not want to see the new one. I mean in terms of style, the movies are almost polar opposites! The original Tron is slow, methodical, and has a lot of symbolism and geeky tech stuff. Tron Legacy is a big loud action movie. Disney didn’t want for kids to look up the old one, hate it, and as a result not see the new movie. imho.

• dabrink05

January 17, 2011 at 11:43 pm

You mentioned something about people getting the 2 confused and I had to make an account just to post this message.

After looking at every video store around my house imaginable for the original, I went to a Disc Replay and asked the clerk if they had “TRON” in. He initially asked me “Do you mean the video game,” which I politely yet very confused said, “No, the movie.”

He replied, “I THINK IT’S STILL IN THEATERS.” (he didn’t scream, just highlighting what he said.)

While I was trying my best to not laugh right in his face, another guy got in his face, pretty pissed, and said “no the original.” I have no idea what happened after, I just left and haven’t been back.

• QMorris

January 17, 2011 at 11:52 pm

When I heard they were making Tron: Legacy, I wanted to see the original film first so I decided to look for it on the internet and yeah… $100 a dvd? No, thank you. Luckily, a friend loaned me his copy.

To give a non-nostalgic perspective, Tron has a great visual style- the effects have aged nicely to give it a retro, 80’s look. The story lacked substance though, but Tron: Legacy’s plot is not much better, so what’s the problem? They’re both equally enjoyable films.

I honestly can’t think of a reason as to why they didn’t re-release the original on Blu-ray/DVD right when everyone was excited about the new movie.

Unless, they think of Tron: Legacy as a more remake than as a sequel but if that’s the case then why didn’t they just call it Tron and…

Or maybe they’re just a bunch of idiots.

• RyanThunder

January 18, 2011 at 12:05 am

I absolutely agree, James. It’s a good thing I picked up the DVD a few years ago before TRON became popular again.

I’m really not sure what Disney is thinking in regards to this issue. They should have released the TRON Blu-ray sometime back in December. Just like you said, the sequel would have gotten more profit because of this.

• Gonzalo_vm

January 18, 2011 at 12:07 am

could you rant in a video about this??? LOVE to see!!!!!!!!!

• January 18, 2011 at 12:32 am

The Disney VAULT!!!!!

I was too lazy to read all the comments to I am sorry if this is a repeat. You of all people should know Disney has a rotation with their classic movies they re-release them every TEN years like Bambie, or Pete’s dragon, or Herbie the LOVE bug… LOlz. I know it was them dropping the ball but they dropped the ball to re-release it when this movie came out or like you said they might have thought that there would have been confusion… Example:
    The new Tron comes out and they then put the old Tron back in circulation. Now this movie was not on there order list for the last 8 years or so (last big re-release was when blue rays were invented I think) so now Tron shows up on the order list for these stores the stores would think it was an order for the new movie and buy too many. Let me tell you it could be as simple as that I have worked in big box retail ordering and if its not written in blood nailed to the door of the order clerk they will miss it. Try to give a peace of white paper with order info to someone whose whole office is nothing but and these days a computer orders most of the inventory if it calculates something is not selling that well it will submit a notice to the human in charge that it needs to be taken off the shelfs or at lest cut back. The real problem with this is when something runs out over time there is always missing stock and the computer will show items there when they are not and this bug does not get ironed out till the next inventory which at best is twice a year but usually once. I tried to order something for a customer that was not in my store but my inventory showed 3. I tried to reorder it but it gave me a pain I had to do a MANUAL order and if I wanted it to stay coming in I would have to remember EVERY order till the inventory was fixed… but I digress. I really don’t think it was intentional like you think and it will be out in a gift set before you know it… besides, who wants to be seen walking out of Tron? I would rather wait for the Blue-ray

• Alyxx

January 18, 2011 at 12:37 am

I own the DVD Collector’s Edition of TRON and I bought it really cheap too here in Norway.

• January 18, 2011 at 12:48 am

there’s about 10 of them at a pawn shop near my place selling them for 5 bucks a piece, this article’s shit, why did this get posted?

• PFS

January 18, 2011 at 12:51 am

because maybe all of us do not live near your place…

• January 18, 2011 at 1:08 am

Thanks James, I agree that it’s f’d up but it may be some other reason to it being out of print. Theres always legal bullshit that holds back pressings, including some films that you brought to my attension.
    There is a great little cult / horror videostore in Edmonton called the Lobby that supplies the area with most of the stuff I look for. If your ever in cold ass Edmonton Alberta Canada you should definitely check it out, its your kinda creapy place.

• SpeedyEric

January 18, 2011 at 1:15 am

I’ve seen a copy of the 20th Anniversary DVD edition at my local Barns & Noble about a year ago. I was planning on getting it the next week, but someone beat me to the punch. Luckly, I was able to find the full movie on YouTube a month before “Legacy” came to theatres, and I love both these movies equaly.

Also, I saw on Amazon that the original film is being planned for a new DVD release, along with the first time on Blu-Ray, around the same time as the sequel.

• Gamer

January 18, 2011 at 1:22 am

Its true, tron is 50$ and up the the 20th anniversary dvd edition for tron, but I have tron for the Playstation portable on umd for 15 bucks, sweet.

• CStyles

January 18, 2011 at 1:30 am

The only time I saw Tron was when I rented it from Netflix, and that was only a few months before Legacy came out. Weird that it’s suddenly unavailable.

• Undertaker

January 18, 2011 at 1:41 am

wow this is the first ive heard of this! ill have 2 check local rental shops and see if they have it. but these days you can get anything from the internet. weird how its suddenly a rare film

• South_park300

January 18, 2011 at 1:42 am

no definite date, but it’s a sign of hope. i’m guessing it will be right around the release of the new tron on dvd and bluray.

• Undertaker

January 18, 2011 at 1:43 am

also ive really been wanting 2 got see the new one but i just havent had the time. no way im waiting 4 the dvd.

• January 18, 2011 at 2:01 am

What Disney did is have all video rental places take there copies out of circulation and that goes for net flix too. The when the new Tron comes out on blu ray they can make a premium version with the original for like $50 and make more money that way.

• Amanda M.

January 18, 2011 at 2:21 am

Actually James, though admittedly, it IS kinda late for the actual release of the sequel to theaters…they ARE releasing the first TRON to DVD and Blu-Ray sometime this year, at the same time Tron Legacy is scheduled to hit stores. ^^

• Schloss Ritter

January 18, 2011 at 2:31 am

There’s one copy each of the 90s vanilla DVD and the 2000s two-disc version in my local library system, but there’s 30+ holds on one and 50+ holds on the other.

• SparcMan

January 18, 2011 at 2:32 am

It seems that Disney has a tendency to hide away their movies for decades at a time only to re-release later with much fanfare. I don’t see much difference here. I saw the sequel and it was Ok. You have to keep in mind that it’s not a SciFi at all despite the appearance. It’s 100% fantasy and if you keep that in mind and not try to over-analyze it, it’s easy to enjoy.

• January 18, 2011 at 3:00 am

Woa, thats a big bummer, here in Brazil is one, at least that i know of, that on cable tv with the channel TELECINE, has the costume to play the first movie of a remake or sequel.
    That is fun to people whose have this channel, cause you can get in timming whit the new movie on the cine.
    And yes here you can find a lot of TRON DVDs copies on wallmart and carrefour by the price of $10 bucks.
    Thats crazy, yeah, but here it doesnt sell, and its not because of the bootleg or anything is just cause, people that arent from the 80s or 90s doesnt know what this movie is all about, his glory and his new super CG for the his time, and they see the cover and the caps and say, Meh…
    at least that is what i think

• Lari

January 18, 2011 at 3:30 am

Amazon Germany has a 2-disk collector’s edition in store, DVDs are available at least in France and Italy as well. Seems that Europe has a good, wealthy Tron supply, which doesn’t fit the theory of Disney keeping the film under wraps. Must have something to do with the American market then.

• Cuber1

January 18, 2011 at 5:17 am

In the Netherlands we can buy a copie of Tron (Collectors Edition) vor 20 euro’s… I think I’m gonna buy one lol.

• alcoholocaust123

January 18, 2011 at 5:22 am

My dad randomly found the DVD in the bargain bin at Walmart

• January 18, 2011 at 6:31 am

I’ve had my 20th Anniversary copy since the day I bought it, good thing too now. The second disc with the giant documentary on making the film is really worth it. Steven Lisberger and company really wanted to do something different, and saw the opportunity with computer imagery.

As bizzare as it seems for Disney hiding away the original, it’s safe to assume they are waiting for the final tally of what Legacy will make. But Legacy is doing pretty good, it’s a fun film, great in 3-D…But yeah we’ll probably see original Tron come back in some sweet Blu-Ray release, but the first DVD release was as good as the Back to the Future Trilogy release in my opinion as far as extras and presentation go.

• January 18, 2011 at 6:51 am

Disney does this normally. When toy story 3 came out we tried to rent 1 & 2 to show our kids but they were out. I was told they stop until they release the newest one in order to sell a special collectors addition.

• Strazdas

January 18, 2011 at 7:03 am

It is not unheard tactic when remaking mocies, especially japaneese or european ones to buy up all possible copies of the movie in US so it would not “compete” with the worse remake. Besides its disney we are talking about, a company that “doesnt believe in syndication or dvd” as they have so loudly stated.

• rsaotome

January 18, 2011 at 7:31 am

Wow! No kidding, just checked out Amazon, that’s just nuts.

The last place I remember seeing it, was at a local pawn shop a month or so back in the $3 area, and that was the Collector’s Edition.

Outside of that, the last retail store I saw it in, was years ago @ Sam’s Club for around $10.

Kinda glad I picked up a copy, but it is one of my childhood fav’s, so it seemed natural. 🙂

Thankfully thou, there is a Blu-ray version on the way.

• January 18, 2011 at 7:55 am

I completely agree. I live in the UK, and I own about 1500 DVDs but only got TRON a couple of months ago because I kept putting it off until it was affordable. In the end I had to shell out £16 for a pre-owned copy on UK ebay. That may not sound like a lot compared to a new DVD from a store, but as a student who has hundreds of DVDs to get I rarely spend more than £5 on any if I can help it.

Yeah, Disney dropped the ball. I work in a cinema and asked a lot of people going to see TRON Legacy if they’d seen the original and almost none of them even knew it existed. Pretty sad if you ask me.

• spankriot

January 18, 2011 at 8:15 am

Avast ye Matey. Tron original aint that hard to find. but i would like to see the making of. On the other hand, why is there so much red tape over the Adam West Batman not being on DVD………. as if you cant watch it online.

• Alex.follett

January 18, 2011 at 8:23 am

Yeah i live in the UK and I remember when Terminator Salvation was coming out and i had not seen the earlier ones. So i bought and watch all three and loved the series. I was planning to do the same with tron but could not find a appropriate price so i just skipped the movie.

• taykel

January 18, 2011 at 8:33 am

wow. I can’t believe the first Tron movie is hard to find now. I never saw it, but I heard it was good.

• Henry Finnegan

January 18, 2011 at 8:50 am

I live in the Uk and as i loved this film as a kid i had in readily available to watch but websites such as Play.com and Stores over here had the Tron: 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition for £20 (about $30) so i don’t think the Brits had much trouble with catching up.

That aside, Tron: Legacy is definitely style over substance.

• January 18, 2011 at 8:58 am

Wow, that’s just stupid. I actually watched the original Tron movie for the first time last year, and I thought it was pretty awesome. And even though I watched it so late, watching Tron Legacy, I was like “Woah, references”, still had that almost nostalgic feeling.
    The fact that they’re hiding it just seems like the most moronic thing they could possibly do.

• ScaryManiac

January 18, 2011 at 8:59 am

I’ve been thinking about that for a year now, James!

• Bababooey18

January 18, 2011 at 9:01 am

If Disney is like every other company, they’ll want to capitalize on the new movie by releasing both in a dual-pack 3D Blu-Ray thingy probably around next September or October, just in time for the Christmas rush.

• goki

January 18, 2011 at 9:19 am

i guess everybody can agree on this… to see tron, play kingdom hearts 2 xD

• January 18, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hey,

It’s available at Play.com and Amazon.co.uk, the 20th Anniversary Edition (Region 1). Mostly used. Curiously, it’s quite easy to find the Wendy Carlos soundtrack.

• IdealIdeas91

January 18, 2011 at 9:36 am

A GOOD REASON TO SIMPLY DOWNLOAD A DVDRIP OF IT FOR FREE!!!

• January 18, 2011 at 9:39 am

I don’t like the new TRON and I think you are tapping into the source of the problem James. Here’s my rant I made about it, for those interested:

• January 18, 2011 at 10:03 am

That’s annoying. Maybe they’re embarrassed of the original? I saw the original a few weeks ago and thought it was a pretty bad movie. Not really my thing. But you know what they say about opinions..

On a side note: James how come you don’t’ have a message board / forum? Comments are great, but it’d be cool to have a place to discuss stuff with other fans of your work. You’re like the only site on the internet without one. O.o.

• Rawbeet

January 18, 2011 at 10:20 am

I was trying to find the original True Grit Prior to seeing the remake, but it was NOWHERE. Coincidence? it was totally bewildering to me why they wouldn’t use this opportunity to move more copies. Some kid who was born in 1994 goes to see the new Tron. Likes it, and then wants to get the original, but he can’t….. Disney usually loves to cash in on this kind of stuff so i can’t figure out why they wouldn’t have done a re-re-release of the film with some new tiny suppliment to entice people to buy it for a third time.

• January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

cool

• January 18, 2011 at 10:27 am

Theres no problem at all getting hold of it in the UK, heck Play.com even have a US R1 version of the 20th Aniversary edition on there.
    Although I would qute happily trade having Tron readily available for all the Asian movies I want that are only available R1.

• RobertMapplethorpe

January 18, 2011 at 11:01 am

“I don’t have any proof that this is true, but if it IS, then this is the worst marketing mistake in movie history.”

Or it is one of the smartest things, they could do?! I mean look at this. You even write a whole article about it, and by reading this thousands of people will recognize.

If you could buy the DVD for 4.99 everywhere, this article won’t even exist.

Of course the marketing guys know, that the request for the original DVD will arise with the new movie in the theateres, so If they really delayed the reprint for the DVD to make it rare, its actually a pretty smart move. Just look at the echo it provoked.

• GeneralPeppy

January 18, 2011 at 11:18 am

hahaha, I got it on DVD? And this with special features, the 20th anniversary collector’s edition with two discs?! Bought it for 5 Euros here in the Netherlands at the “Blokker”, hahaha! Crazy that it is hard to find?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

• wartooth15

January 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

finally, other people who know my troubles. me and a friend spent the entire month before legacy released looking for a dvd, vhs, hell even laserdisc of the original and the best we could do was a tape for $50. in the end i just downloaded it but how ridiculous.
    when it comes down to it disney decided to stop being their usual money-hungry selves and instead be idiots. im sure they screwed themselves out of quite a bit of money with no rerelease and the people who dont want to see a sequel without seeing the original

• VideoGameDork

January 18, 2011 at 11:40 am

i saw the new one in theaters and afterward i wanted to see the old one again but i cannot find it. doing a little research i found that the first one will be coming out on blu-ray soon but there is not a release date. i think it will come out when the new comes out on blu-ray. They may release a double pack for it or something.

• efast4

January 18, 2011 at 11:52 am

I worked for Disney for 6 years as a mid-level manager and recently left the company. Their film department has a certain way of “releasing” films to DVD/Blu-ray that the general public has completely failed to understand and, in my opinion, is a major miss.

The thinking goes like this: Every generation will want to enjoy the “classic” Disney films. So every 7, 8 or 10 years (depending on when in the release cycle a particular film falls) the film will come out of “the vault” {Side note: there actually IS a Disney Vault located in Buena Vista, FL that is a humidity and temperature controlled sealed room where all original prints are kept} Disney’s plan in doing this is that every new generation of youngsters will be able to get the latest version of the classic films.

As a former manager for the company, I cant tell you how many disgruntled parents I dealt with when they discovered they couldn’t get Cinderella (or other films). The general public simply couldn’t understand why the films aren’t ALWAYS available. I agree, it makes no sense.

When a Disney film “comes out of the vault”, typically it is in print for 6 months. After the release period, it goes back into the vault for another 7,8 or 10 years. If you missed it, you’re screwed. All Disney owned properties (i.e. Disney Stores, World of Disney Stores, Walt Disney World, Disneyland, etc) sends back any unsold copies to Buena Vista after the release period and they are destroyed (again stupid but its to prevent piracy) Big box retailers not owned by Disney (Best Buy, Costco, BJs etc) don’t have to send back the films they didn’t sell. So you have a good shot of picking them up there, although frequently they raise their prices after the original release period.

TRON (the original) wasn’t slated for a DVD release until next year as part of the anniversary cycle. I agree that they should have made it available sooner but Disney very strictly sticks to their schedule, sometimes at their own expense. I did however recently rent it at Blockbuster so its out there, just a bit hard to find.

I hope this clears up your frustrations James. Oh, and I know people say this 24/7, but I love the site, the Nerd and everything you do. Keep up the good work. My gf went to Penn State for film and is very impressed with what you do (although shes not a horror fan at all).

• Solitary

January 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm

efast4: Interesting… but I don’t know how destroying rest of the prints is going to prevent piracy. On the contrary… if people are unable to buy it, they are gonna download it. Then the companies are gonna whine about it that piracy is ruining business and blah blah blah…

• Zelda_Boy

January 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm

yeah, see, that’s exactly what I wanted to do! I wanted to wait and see the first one before I saw the sequel. but then one day my Dad just up and said “Let’s go see the Tron movie” and I was like “oh….uh…..well, okay.”

I hate seeing sequels without seeing the original first. I didn’t know about this rarity, because i think my Dad had the original on VHS and was going to just watch that. but that sucks that some people actually CAN’T now.

• January 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I was able to find it for a rent and it is such an amazing movie! I have no idea why it hasn’t been released on blu-ray or an updated dvd. Everyone I know who has seen Tron 1 loves it sadly though there aren’t many people I know that have seen it or even know that Legacy is a sequel!

If you do hear any information about it coming out on blu-ray or dvd please let us know. I would love to own it.

• January 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I think that’s what they’re exactly going to do in about 9 months or so when they put Tron: Legacy out on DVD. They’ll add it as a two-fer with the original and sell it exclusively through Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Whether it will have bonus features and commentary for the original, that’s up for debat, but I am sure that’s what they’re doing.

• January 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Woops! I meant debate.

• SUPERFOX5

January 18, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I’m glad I picked up my copy of TRON before this happened!

• January 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Um come on you ever heard of Torrents? download UTorrent and then google Tron Torrent, its very easy to find man chill out besides the new one kicks ass and i had never seen the original so thats why i downloaded it and it sucked ass so who really cares? it may have been a pioneer but the acting sucks bad but i do give it credit for the special effects it was 1982 so they are good for being almost 30 years old.

• ajgenard

January 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I never saw the original until 2 weeks ago on VHS (probably due to the limited availability and exposure). I was truly unimpressed. In my eyes the only thing it had to offer at the time was the effects and now they seem horribly outdated and laughably cheesy.

But I do support the new installment. THESE are the movies that need to be remade. Films that had moderate success long ago but couldn’t reach their full potential for one reason or another deserve a second try.

• Dark_Agent

January 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Wow! I did not know this, glad I bought mine during the summer when I saw the trailer to the new Tron.

I bought my Tron DVD at Hastings and there were tons of them on the still on the rack so it wasn’t exactly hard to find then. It was the 2 Disc 20th Anniversary edition too, and the second disc day an hour long “Retrospective” documentary on with interviews of nearly all the major cast & crew (except for David Warner sadly) and a bunch of other featurettes including one with Wendy Carlos talking about writing the soundtrack. Well worth the $9.99 I paid for it as opposed to the scalpers on Amazon, Ebay, etc. Like I said, it wasn’t “Out of Print” until right before the new movie came out.

• January 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Hello! Im from denmark, and i have found the original Tron on dvd for about 35$… it seems to be the only one that i can find.. link: http://www.haushoej.dk/product.asp?product=6240&lang=dk

• January 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm

me again… just found out that you cant order the dvd… its not being produced anymore the site says…

• Butch Bitch

January 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Awesome post, James! I haven’t seen the new Tron, but I tried to look for the old one on Netflix, and I had the same exact issue. It’s a real shame that it isn’t on DVD, because from what I have heard and read, it’s such a groundbreaking movie. And it definitely deserves a lot better than to be locked up in some damn vault for 7-10 years!

• Filmmassacre

January 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Tron: Legacy wasn’t bad but it wasn’t great either
    it was a good entertaining movie but didn’t reminded me of TRON that much actually for what it was it was good but it seems like the movie could work without the 3D effects sometimes
    3 out of 5
    Sorry for english!

• flippythemaster

January 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm

They’re doing it because the special effects are so dated. I mean, kids today judge a movie based on how good it looks, so imagine a dad popping in the movie for his son to watch in preparation for the new film. The kid sees the dated special effects and instantly judges the film as bad. Then he goes and blabs to his friends about how much Tron sucks and they won’t want to see the new movie. Thus, Disney doesn’t release it until the new movie has run its course. It’s an oddly specific scenario, I know, but a valid reason for Disney to postpone nonetheless.

• GoatMaster666

January 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

good thing i bought my copy almost 10 years ago HAHAHAHAHA!!!! that’s what you get for not worshiping this awesome movie! the only way to truly love it was to see it back in the day, although i wasn’t alive when it was released, it was one of the first movies I’ve ever seen and have been praising it to this day.

• January 18, 2011 at 6:01 pm

You can download the dvd on icefilms.info site, only place I could find it and download a copy.

• January 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Having the 20th anniversary 2 disc collector’s edition of the original Tron in my hands at the moment makes me feel lika a king 🙂

• Dr. Dib

January 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm

If you really want to see it, check your local library. Seriously, that’s how I saw it. I saw a suggestion to do so on a forum and sure enough the libraries in my area each had a copy. Definitely an annoying thing, but I was glad to watch the original before the sequel. So many references in the first that would be easily missed if you had never seen the first.

• xdeathknightx

January 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

It’s standard Disney policy. They love releasing limited amounts, when they want it, so their movies never end up as budget 10 buck dvds. Most of the time when they do get released they get stupid prices like near 20 or more. They like to create a demand and then give out a set number of the movies, then it takes a while before they release more.

Been doing it for some time now.

• bladebrent

January 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I dont know what your talking about, I got Tron’s 20th anniversary or whatever it was a while ago, before Tron:Legacy was even announced

• Firnarion

January 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm

On Amazon UK,you can find few DVD US version for approximately 25£.
    Or if you can watch European DVD, on Amazon france, DVD are selling for 15$ approximately.

• Roge

January 18, 2011 at 6:46 pm

James,

I love your films, like your sense of humour etc

think you must have had a few beers when u posted this one

come on mate what the hell r u talkin about!

• Joker83

January 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I saw it via Netflix last June. Apparently it was available then.

• January 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

TRON was available on Netflix via DVD up until about one and a half months before the new one came out. When I emailed Netflix asking why they took it off, whoever emailed me back said that demand wasn’t big enough for it (bullshit).

It is available from Blockbuster-by-mail. Though it has been in “very long wait” for months now.

HDNet Movies aired it 4 or 5 times back in October/November.

• January 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm

James, Disney always does this with their popular franchises, especially the animated movies. They have done it for as long as we have been alive anyways. It sucks, I know, but that’s how they keep the money pouring in.

• Joe Shadows

January 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Going to have to agree with some of the others here.

I understand why you might not be aware of this, with Disney films not exactly being your cinematic specialty or anything, but Disney keeps a bizarre stranglehold on the so-called “Disney Vault”. They do limited home video releases, especially of their A-list (i.e., not direct-to-DVD) titles, and infrequent re-releases after the first run. Its completely nonsensical, especially since that really isn’t netting them any money- the only people who benefit are the ones in the reseller market, and when Disney does eventually do a re-release, they don’t even inflate the price beyond what you’d normally expect for a special-edition DVD with extra features. The exact same thing was happening with Beauty and the Beast, with DVDs from the last release going for insanely inflated amounts on eBay until they finally did another re-release just recently, and the floor dropped out from under the reseller market.

This isn’t conspiracy, just Disney as a corporation apparently doing its best to be as eccentric and crazy as its founder.

• officialjab

January 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I’m sure it’s because they’re touching it up. If any company can change something from looking dated, it’s not LucasArts, it’s Disney.

Legacy comes out, people buy the ’82 one on DVD. BUT if Disney keeps it back while touching it up then more people will have a film that fits better with the new movie.

And Tron Legacy was outstanding.

• Kenshiroh

January 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm

• fuddwupper

January 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I got it from my video shop and it was pretty good, had no idea it was so hard to find in America (Im from Australia). Looking forward to seeing the new one, imagine if they didnt release that one either hahaha

• January 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Disney has always been in the habit of releasing their movies for home video in somewhat limited ways, not just Tron.

They release a film, then put it on moratorium until enough anticipation has built up for them to make effective sales on a new release.

Search for “Disney vault” on Google and you’ll find more info.

• January 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm

“On Netflix, it is completely unavailable.”

Ehhh….I wonder if that’s my fault entirely. I got Tron from Netflix a couple of months ago and quite frankly have been forgetting to put it back in the box. I usually stream movies myself. I completely forgot I still had it till this article. Lol….ain’t that funny.

So anyways, considering this movie is apparently becoming rare…I think I won’t be returning it anytime soon….

…ummm, Happy hunting?

🙂

• GeorgeCt79

January 18, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I don’t know if anyone mention this in the above comments. But The Original Tron is being released on Blu Ray and possibly rereleased on DVD. From what I read and saw a couple of short Interview clips of someone who worked on the original movie. He said the original Tron is being released on Blu ray possibly enhanced special effects. They were originally planning on releasing it on Blu ray same time as the sequal came to theaters. But they were delayed due to other projects or somtething so it was pushed back for a while. Thats what I at least heard a while ago.

• starman15317

January 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Yeah, I noticed this too. Fortunatly, I was able to rent it from my library, but Disney chose a stupid decision with this one. It’s being rumored to come out on Blu-Ray/DVD though. There’s even cover art for that release.

• starman15317

January 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm

@William Marmol

How could you?! 😉 lol

• Murphy2112

January 18, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Disney have said they’re not releasing it on DVD until after the second one’s out on DVD because they think the lame effects (by today’s standards) from the old one will put people off of the new on.

This isn’t exactly new, though. Disney only put their non-Pixar movies on sale for like two weeks.

• January 19, 2011 at 12:02 am

I bought that Tron 2-disk DVD when it came out. Only thing missing was a soundtrack! That would have been nice.(there is a tag, on the back of the DVD case, letting you know that the soundtrack is available. Whatever; should have been included.)

Yeah, it’s pretty lame that they didn’t do a special Blu-ray release for the new movie. Was kind of expecting it. Oh-well… It’ll come out eventually.

I’d also love to see 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea on Blu-ray. Ooh, looks like I can get 30,000 Leagues Under the Sea on Blu-ray. lol :http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/30000-Leagues-Under-the-Sea-Blu-ray/10359/

• January 19, 2011 at 1:09 am

• BouncekDeLemos

January 19, 2011 at 1:35 am

The only latest (official) Tron movie I’ve seen was on PSP’s UMD which sells for around $5 to $20. But I hope they release the DVD soon, and UNEDITED. Remember the Goonies? There’s still a bunch of scenes that are LOST that weren’t in the DVD version’s deleted scenes (Like the leech scene). Tron better not be like that if it ever comes out.

I swear, Disney better not hold out on us on this one.

• jaykhunter

January 19, 2011 at 1:52 am

There’s no good reason why you wouldn’t (re-)release the previous film on DVD before a new film comes out (as James expounded on) it makes no business sense. I haven’t seen Tron and I won’t see Tron Legacy until I see the first one. I also don’t buy DVDs anymore (if something’s worth buying, it’s worth buying on Blu-Ray) so they’ve lost out on two sales for me.

They should just clean up the image but don’t go mental on the DNR. There’s no point in re-rendering the film etc. It’s an 80s movie. If you wanted to re-do the film, that’s why you have a sequel in the first place!!!

• jamesf

January 19, 2011 at 2:39 am

Ha, I have to admit that I actually bought the 2-disc version of Tron in 2009 for $8, and then sold it on Amazon for $80 when I found out the demand was so high right before Christmas in 2010. I felt bad doing that (for ethical reasons), but it was nice to have some extra money to buy Christmas presents. Plus, I made sure to make a copy or 2 for myself before I shipped it.

Regarding the DVD being pulled, I had heard that Disney had recently held a focus group (I think at their El Capitan theater in Hollywood) and the kids in attendance HATED the original Tron after watching it. Sure, it’s not exactly the best movie, but it’s a shame that Disney was so dependent on this type of audience (keep in mind that the most coveted audience for most mainstream movies is the young male crowd, typically the 18-49 demographic).

Like others have said here, it’s weird that Disney wouldn’t re-release the original before a sequel comes out in theaters. If the company was so concerned over what people today would think of the original’s effects, then what’s the point of making a direct sequel to such an old film anyway? Just to keep parents of the new desired young audience satisfied?

Oh well, hopefully the movie will come out on Blu-ray soon (and hopefully it will be keep the great feature-length documentary from the 20th anniversary DVD).

• Cless Aileron

January 19, 2011 at 3:28 am

I managed to see the original Tron in a screening room when I was at Comic Con 2010. I did feel I needed to rewatch the original just to make sure I really appreciate why people loved it (I liked it by the way).

However, I did hear a couple of people comment about the outdated effects after the viewing. Not sure what to make of that, since you brought up the whole “focus group laughing at its outdated look” thing. Just something to mention.

It’s true. I’m actually holding out for a Blu-Ray release of the original. I’m just wondering myself what’s taking so long.

• fuertherbube

January 19, 2011 at 4:20 am

It seems like you’re really pissed-off. And to be honest, I can’t blame you. But after all, it’s just a fuckin’ movie and not worth the flurry.

Best wishes from Germany.

• Tackleman

January 19, 2011 at 5:39 am

Here in Germany or generally Europe the Tron DVD isn’t hard to find.
    I recommend buying it of amazon.de or otherwise if you just want to have to movie go to the LaserdiscDatabase there are a few TRON Laserdiscs for Sale.

Greetings

• nviso209

January 19, 2011 at 6:10 am

AVGN- I would gladly sell u mine for $35-$40… After all I bought it for 25 bucks in a Wal-Mart in 2002! Let me know if you’re interested? The bonus disc is probably what makes this release so special BTW.
    youtube.com/nviso209

• January 19, 2011 at 9:01 am

With the amount of references Legacy made to the original I very much doubt they would try to hide it… seriously…

It sure can be tricky to find though which is rather strange. When it comes to things like this piracy is actually kind of a “good” thing, Tron is very easy to get by torrent which is true to most old but good things that otherwise might be hard to find

• Jokerhh82

January 19, 2011 at 10:14 am

No trouble finding it here in Germany, try Amazon.de or Amazon.co.uk , they both should ship worldwide, price for deluxe 2 disc edition (DVD) is around 30 Bucks.

• January 19, 2011 at 10:48 am

but i bought this from my local asda for £3…

• Aquilifer

January 19, 2011 at 11:16 am

I’ve seen it lying in stores here in belgium, but I’ve never picked it up yet, but on the other hand the movie “cobra” (yea go ahead laugh, I think its a great cheesy movie) is really hard to find here, I have been to big dvd stores couple times and they never had it.

• January 19, 2011 at 11:42 am

I should be grateful; I bought TWO new copies last year at my FYE for 21.99 each. I did it because I had heard of the new one coming out and saw how much the value of the original was going up. Like an ass I GAVE away my second copy to a fellow film collector without even charging him.

• Shanethefilmmaker

January 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I got mine taped on a PVR I owned they were broadcasting it on YTV a few days before the release of the movie. I know not all here are Canadian and or don’t have a satellite to access the channels but those lucky enough to have a recording device handy would have caught it. They probably thought that new people that came to watch legacy wouldn’t be able to understand the world of Tron and in the words of Elijah Wood would consider the groundbreaking CGI to be a baby’s toy compared to the newer technologies 30 years later. I wouldn’t blame them, when I first watched Tron, I wasn’t able to make sense of it, granted I only got most of the ending part of it which I won’t spoil for those whom haven’t watched it yet. Another reason though would probably be that most moviegoers that have grown up watching The matrix, would probably see those movies as a rip off despite the first predating it. Think about it, a computer hacker inside a digital world where he is considered a god like entity? I never seen the sequel yet, I woulda probably by its release but like many others I blew all my money on Christmas shopping. I have seen the previews and I gotta say it looks very promising, and if I don’t see it in the theaters I would probabley get it on DVD or if I am lucky youtube. I wouldn’t probably say its on par with the original, but come on its Tron its not supposed to make sense unless you are very observant enough to pay attention to every detail in the movie beginning to end.

• Steini

January 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Wow! I just rented the DVD a few weeks ago. Had no idea that it was a rarity.

• Sylveria

January 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Well Spoony would call you stupid for liking the new Tron, but Spoony is a egotistical snob so his opinion is void.

Anyway, yeah I heard about the supposed burial of the original Tron and in a way I sorta get why. The original Tron is an interesting piece of history but it certainly hasn’t aged well. I’m sure Disney was actively worried about today’s audience, especially the kiddies, seeing the original Tron and being all “Dude this is totally lame (kids talk like that still right?)” so they preemptively buried it until after Legacy finished it’s theatrical run. That way, after Legacy gets the new fans, they can pump out the original again to a larger audience.

• mastermind613

January 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I’ve recently seen the new Tron, and I agree. It’s pretty damn good. However, the ending left a bit to be desired (no spoilers from me, by the way). Still a teenager, so I’m not old enough to have seen the original Tron at a young age, but in my opinion, it’s pathetic that anyone would hide a movie like this. I have seen the trailer, the movie hasn’t exactly aged well. FX look dated, but that doesn’t mean the movie has gotten worse… No, Tron is not on Youtube, I’ve checked.

• Keinichn

January 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I agree completely. After seeing the sequel, I wanted to go back and watch the original since it has been AGES since I saw it. If they’re really going to lock it away and re-release it with lots of special garbage, I’ll just torrent the damn movie and stick it to them that way. It’s all a scam. They take the, now cheap, original out and then re-release it with fancy new special features for a full $20. BS I tell ya.

• January 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I actually got this on netflix after I heard there was a new one coming out so I wanted to watch the original again. At the time there was a long wait, but I did get it on dvd and returned it. It may be unavailable at the moment as they don’t have enough copies and there is a huge demand for it.

• January 19, 2011 at 8:26 pm

After checking my netflix account “TRON” DVD disc returned on 11/6/2009

“DVD availability date unknown “

• handsome pete

January 19, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Don’t put words in Spoony’s mouth.

• psyonikx

January 19, 2011 at 9:01 pm

One word—–

TORRENT!

• battom1219

January 19, 2011 at 11:30 pm

James , i work at movie stop .. and you would not believe the amount of people i would get in daily looking for the original tron. because its such an old movie and they are releasing a sequel 20 years later…. ofcourse half of the people havent seen it… the amount of money our store missed just because we didnt have tron is ridiculous.. nevermind what disney would have made in general…it makes no sense

• Keile

January 20, 2011 at 12:27 am

I’m glad I bought mine when I did!

I got the anniversary 2 disc version. But don’t worry people, something tells me Disney will re-release the movie on Blu-Ray when Legacy is, or close to, being released itself.

• fob4eva

January 20, 2011 at 12:56 am

Disney bought Marvel and Power Rangers. This is how evil they are.

• Hexumonium

January 20, 2011 at 2:17 am

I have the special 2-disc version as well. I don’t even know if there are other versions. I bought it at a used book store in NC a few years ago for $13. I’m sitting on gold here! lol I took it over to my nerdy friends house about a month ago, and neither him or his nerdy brothers had heard of it before, nor did they have any interest in seeing it. I couldn’t believe it. My excuse for them is that they are younger.
    I thought that the movie was kind of a slow ride, but I actually liked that about it. It didn’t beat you senseless like a lot of movies do. It gave you time to enjoy the atmosphere.

• Gabatwa

January 20, 2011 at 5:53 am

Yeah I agree I won’t see Legacy till I see the first one.

• Venin

January 20, 2011 at 6:07 am

I ended up downloading the original from a torrent, good quality but a dvd would have been good. I’ve thought about trying to buy it off the local video rental store but it would probably be scratched to shit anyway.

I still enjoy watching this movie, I like the positive / negative bit character …

• juggernautakira

January 20, 2011 at 7:22 am

I have MY DVD! Ill sell it for $250! Cheap! No, seriously, I love this movie and wouldnt even sell it for that much especially knowing I couldnt get it again right now.

• January 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

I had netflix last year, and I rented Tron fine from it. I havent had netflix since around june or july last year, so I guess they stopped making it availible for some reason.

• January 20, 2011 at 11:01 am

http://www.cuevana.tv/peliculas/1040/tron/ <- spanish site, but original audio and good quality.

• January 20, 2011 at 11:17 am

There’s a nice 20th anniversery edition available in region 2 format.

• dontheproducer

January 20, 2011 at 11:25 am

It truly is a disaster. The likes of George Lucas no less. I used to watch the original when I was a kid over and over again. And now I can’t relive my childhood. SCREW YOU DISNEY!

Don The Producer
    Think For Yourself, Listen to Adam

• droppingpenny

January 20, 2011 at 11:41 am

If Disney really tries to burry Tron, then why is it available on DVD in Europe? There are French and German DVDs available on Amazon for $15-25, and they all have the english voice track. http://amzn.to/hctSYi

• VecTron5

January 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I bought mine (the 2-disc anniversary edition) at Wal-Mart for 10$. Now I have another reason for loving that movie aside from it being my favorite film of all time.

I wonder how much my vhs and soundtrack lp are worth…

• war1776

January 20, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I think you just have to know where to look. Disney has a tendency of vaulting their titles for a period of time and then re-releasing them for a period of time. However, you can usually find copies of their movies anytime at places like F.Y.E., Suncoast, Hastings, etc. I bought my copy just before “Legacy” came out at one such place.

• January 21, 2011 at 4:07 am

Uh…I bought it on DVD for rewatching before Legacy came out, at the start of December.
    It was in one of the Walmart display racks alongside other cheesy 80s movies.
    Certainly not out of print.

• Lagzlot

January 21, 2011 at 6:26 am

I think I may have found a You Know What’s Bullshit article in disguise.

Anyway, I’m not a huge Tron fan by any means, but this does seem like a pretty bad time to leave the original so rare when it would be a great time to make money off a rerelease. The only way it could make sense would be to sell it with Legacy when it comes to dvd. They’ll probably put it on a blu ray in thr…….. oh fuck no…..

• ricerictwice

January 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm

• January 21, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I’m 26 and I didn’t see the original for the first time until a few months ago. I have to say, it did not wow me in any way. Not to say that it was a bad movie, but not having seen it until now definitely takes away from the production value of it.

After seeing it, I joked to my friends that “what took $17 million to make back then, would cost a guy with a laptop and a garage $250 total, today.”

• LordByron

January 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Well, here in Spain I bought my copy for just 15 €, and in the store I bought it they had literally two thousand copies or so of the movie. (yeah, you have fans EVEN in Spain XD)

• Griff

January 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm

well I’ve heard that they’re gonna release it on blu ray soon, so it doesn’t really matter in the long run

• Squallina

January 22, 2011 at 3:52 am

Copies are still available on Amazon.co.jp, if you’re desperate enough to get the region 2 disc shipped.

Regions are bulshit, and capitalizing on what is nothing but a flashy, shitty remake of a 1980s masterpiece is just sad. If they were going to remake it, they should have just remade the original. Or left well alone.

• frizl

January 22, 2011 at 6:04 am

Moratorium.

• frizl

January 22, 2011 at 6:12 am

…and that’s some bullshit.

• phe

January 22, 2011 at 11:42 am

Where i work (a movie rental store in Belgium) we have no problem ordering the original, classic we even have several for €5 only, hehe

• ZprayeR

January 22, 2011 at 1:47 pm

You know what’s bullshit ? Disney’s policy !

• Kanger

January 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I had the 20th Anniversary 2 Disc DVD. My roommate lost it!!! ARG!!

• sa6uto

January 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Disney is the biggest mafia in the world.Theyre just trying to screw the world up. ;D But i do love the first Tron 😀 and the new one well i can say i expected a lot more but after all its a sequel xD

• mtbellas

January 22, 2011 at 5:04 pm

First sorry for my english iam from Greece. Second i would like to say that i have bought the Tron movie, and it was a anniversary edition. I am totaly sure about it. anyway we demand a review of the first movie.. keep up the amazing work, and i would like to thank you about all the hours that i have spend for reading your site, and watching your videos, expecialy the movie reviews and the marathons !!.

• CK WOLF ACE

January 23, 2011 at 4:15 am

i think disney is trying to have more people look at there shows and have people think there good but in reality there compleate pieaces of bull shit (exculding thats so raven which was funny) like wizerds of wavery place. but ya know what i bet there gonna do? i bet next year they will have another tron movie with salina gomez in it. which shes the worst actor in history even more then tommy wiseau.

• Brink

January 23, 2011 at 7:47 am

Its so wrong, just thinking that you should download this epic movie, that set so many standards.

Just the feel from the dvd disk in your hand and you suddenly holding a very own Identity Disc!

I just happen to have the Tron – 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition, and i will never throw my personal identity disk away for 300 bucks… That would be Suicide!

(Its an awesome feeling, holding the disk above your head just under the spotlight, and derezzed at full volume…)

• gothichyppie

January 23, 2011 at 11:14 am

I hate Disney for always pretending they’re so goddamn special, advertising for children (which is illegal here, under 13), making these stupid moratoriums to catch a new generation of fans to their holy wonderfulness. But Tron isn’t in-your-face Disney, maybe they felt like it didn’t have their fucking stamp hard enough and they’re working on a new dvd release packed with self-advertising, like the previous dvd wasn’t packed enough, the special features have a bigger runtime than the actual movie! It involves 3D too, I just know it!
    I look at what’s going own and I feel extremely lucky, I found a works-like-new used copy of Tron last summer, some guy was getting rid of it for 5$!
    No, I don’t get that commercial approach either, are we missing something? Are we not understanding the true genius of Saint-Disney?

• corvis

January 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Uh, since this comments section seems to be largely wild speculation and bashing, I’d like to clear things up.

Disney has confirmed that TRON is being re-released on DVD and Blu-Ray. The release was originally planned for November 2010 in order to preempt the release of the sequel. The director of the original, Steven Lisberger confirmed this personally in an interview from early November when he stated that he had spent the last six weeks working on the remastering process for Blu-Ray.
    It’s pretty clear that the original intention was to release the film at the same time as the sequel. That’s far from “holding out”.

Now, if we examine Disney’s most recent rereleases over the past year or so, there’s a consistent pattern of late releases. Beauty And the Beast and Fantasia were both delayed by six months in order to add more bonus material. Dumbo has been delayed for an entire year now in order to add a commentary feature hosted by Pete Docter, along with some other bonus material. Monsters Inc was pushed back to coincide with the home video release of Up. It’s not exactly unexpected for Disney to push a release back at this point, usually either due to scheduling delays, to add new material, or to line up more nicely with current releases. I’d have to say they probably only pushed TRON back to release it simultaneously with TRON Legacy and avoid confusion between the two.

Also, I feel it’s worth noting that Disney has been pretty good about NOT sweeping things under the rug lately. The Black Cauldron got rereleased even though Disney generally doesn’t touch it due to its lack of success financially, and The Black Hole (an even bigger flop) has been confirmed for both a rerelease and a remake. They revisited TRON for the first time in twenty years and Toy Story for the first time in more than ten years. The “vault” releases have been coming at a steadier pace than usual, and Oswald The Lucky Rabbit was just reacquired and used in a Disney production for the first time since 1928.

So yeah, the Disney-bashing feels unfounded to me. TRON’s coming. It’s just late.

Incidentally, TRON Legacy was great. Just putting that out there.

• January 24, 2011 at 5:40 am

This is a real nerds conversation, full of people with OCD, aspergers and other assorted neurosis, get a life or face being reduced to a pile of boom! http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/index.php?ref=65348

• January 24, 2011 at 6:52 am

i was lucky enough and found the 20th anniversary collectors edition dvd at best buy early last year in the clearence bin for $5

• January 24, 2011 at 10:54 am

This is to corvis: I think you missed the point James was making here. He isn’t wondering where the ‘new’ release of a DVD/Blu-ray version of the original Tron is…..he’s wondering where ANY copy is. The older anniversary editions and original releases for the movie are disappearing…..and I believe he is wondering where they are going and if it’s possible Disney wishes to squelch finding these ‘lesser’ substitutes and just capitalize on a newer (read: more expensive) DVD/ BR release. They should just rename Disney to Money, because that’s really all they give a fuck about now-a-days.

• January 24, 2011 at 11:01 am

This is to Corvis once again: I just want to add that you sound like a Disney plant…..so why even fucking hide it? I own a Laserdisc version, that’s right, LD bitch, of TRON and I’m perfectly happy with it. In fact, the motherfucker makes me feel like I’m back in ’82 watching it in it’s chemical-processing analogue effects gloriousness…..and this LD is the only copy I’ll ever buy. So, tell me what you get for trolling these independent (albeit monetized) sites and ‘correct’ people’s impression of the house of Satan….opps, I mean MouseHouse?

• boots electric

January 24, 2011 at 3:39 pm

in my oppinion the new tron sucks donkey shaft

• January 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Just found the Original Tron for sale, here in Canada, brand new, for $6. Unfortunately it’s the UMD edition for the PSP.

• Fuck RomEmKing

January 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm

@RomEmKing: Are you high?

• DoubleAced

January 26, 2011 at 1:19 am

Completely incorrect. I bought a brand new copy at Wal Mart, one of the most mainstream stores out there, just a few months ago for $20. They had quite a few copies for sale. You should probably check your facts next time before posting.

• JoePants

January 26, 2011 at 10:09 am

I totally saw this used at a CD store for like 10 bucks… wish I had bought it to sell on Amazon.

• Hawkzilla22

January 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

It’s on Sky Anytime here in the UK, and on the sky player on xbox. Pretty sure HMV have been selling it as well

• Viclopez93

January 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I just found the movie on youtube check it out

• saiyajin

January 26, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I work at Disney World and my work area did a movie night screening of the original Tron. Over half of the people there (most college inters) spent the first 10 minutes bitching about how much it sucked, and got up and left. The asshole in front of me had the balls to answer and talk on his phone while the movie was showing! I hadn’t seen Tron in almost five years. I wanted to punch his right in the nose! So there’s your possible explanation. While Disney knows all the 80s babies are dying for the original, the younger generations have no appreciation whatsoever about the evolution of cinematic effects!

• ASC1980

January 27, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I’m glad I picked up the VHS clamshell like 3 years a go for $3. To me at the time I felt that it was on of my best finds even though a few people scoffed at it.

• burnoutversion1

January 27, 2011 at 3:26 pm

O.K, I worked at Suncoast, and here’s the thing with Disney. They pulled the 25th anniversary edition of Tron off the shelves last January, so that way, when Tron; Legacy hits BLU-ray and DVD, they can release a NEW version of the original Tron and charge 40 bucks for it. Disney does this with all it’s movies. In the vault for 10 years, out for 6 weeks, charge 50 bucks, etc.

• January 28, 2011 at 4:39 am

@ saiyajin You may have a point. I was reading around the internet and recently found actual negative reviews for the original Richard Donner Superman! It was a guy much younger than I am and it SHOWED. I was shocked at how he was talking down the original film.

• January 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm

They will probably release it again when ever the new one comes out on DVD and shit.

• jamesw

January 30, 2011 at 1:56 am

The blockbuster by my house actually has several copies of TRON for rent.

• January 30, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I am part of this doomed generation, but I actually like Tron better then Tron: Legacy. Tron: Legacy wasn’t bad but the first film just had more to it that stayed with me. And it is not nostalgia factor either, I watched the film only a couple years ago and fell in love with it (not in a Tron-Guy way). The first one felt like it wanted to push boundaries both in visuals and in story telling by having state of the art special effects and an intellectual message. Tron: Legacy had these things too but the special effects cant really wow audiences anymore, and it had a light message that wasn’t as deep as the first film’s.

ps. And I heard from a source at Disney that they hid all of the copies of TRON out of fear new audiences would dismiss their golden goose sequel after seeing the first, which is really sad

• supersmashman

February 1, 2011 at 12:09 am

After I read this I rushed out to my nearest Blockbuster to see if they had a copy for rental. Luckily they did and I read on the receipt that they would sell it to me for $6.99. When I went to return it I asked if I could buy the rental copy and the guy said yes. He also mentioned that I was going to piss a lot of people off because they get a lot of requests for Tron and that was their last copy. I feel like kind of an asshole but I couldn’t pass up getting Tron for 7 bucks.

• February 1, 2011 at 4:57 am

Tron: Legacy was a terrible movie.. it´s just my opinion, but that piece of shit got nothing what made the original so great and enjoyable to watch.
    I can´t help, but the “programs” in the original feel like real programs even without robot movements like the four bitches who dressed up the kid.

Lets see the first scene with this taxation program from the original. (iam from germany, so excuse me, if i have any translation errors.) The program has a function, and doesn´t know anything else. In Tron:Legacy i didn´t see programs, just weired HUMANS. That´s a big flaw and every time i saw anyone of them, i just scratched my head and want to punch some one of the producers.

Then the “story”. This is so much bullshit. “Pure” Programs? WTF? Common.. I don´t need another story about some alien space jesus(es).
    i want a movie about computers..

And fuck that stupid light cycle race. They are supposed to drive in 90° edges. Everything else don´t make any sense and fuck those upper and lower platforms too. All it needs is one Layer not 3 or 4, it just adds more confusion and the audience doesn´t know how far or near the lightcycles are.

And Tron is a bad guy now…? Dude, for a program that should stop other programs doing bad things, you really suck at it. The screen writers did nearly everything wrong.

And YES, OF COURSE. A fat security guard who has an 4$/h income surely chase some loony to the fucking crane which is placed on top of a 40 story building. That guy really has some problems, not calling for reinforcements or the local police.
    And the biggest IT Company in the world (ok, i made this up) which realeses his own Operating System has just one fat security? My Desktop PC gets more security attention that this company.

There is much more i want to complain, but my english is not that great and in conclusion all i want to say is: Fuck this movie, it´s the biggest disappointment since the Star Wars Prequels. The only reason to watch this movie is for the Daft Punk music. That is awesome.

If you want the true sequel play !!! TRON 2.0 !!! It´s better, funnier and has a much more interesting and complex story than Tron:Legacy.

• tsburesh

February 1, 2011 at 8:08 am

I am 25 and I feel old sometimes. How pathetic is that. I appreciates older films. Far older than I. I miss hand drawn cartoons, stopmotion, and puppets… Puppets are awsome!!!

• February 2, 2011 at 2:55 am

I am 19 years old and believe me or not, but I despise the “new” and “fake” Hollywood. I enjoy movies, that have been around much more than I have. It’s a true art, the visuals, all made by sweaty hands and NOT some bitchass PC with 8GHz Quad-core processor, 2GB+ video card and like 16 GB ram. Sure, computer graphics look more “realistic” and stuff, but the hand made is 100% real and that’s the whole beauty of it, you know that once these creatures or whatever was in the movie you’re wathing really existed so you could touch them, unlike the new, digital zebrashit.
    So, that does this have to do with this topic? Well, simple:
    In the original Tron, the costumes and everything were real clothes and the light-up lines were actual LED lights (where in the new movie they are just CG).
    I can talk about this a lot, but my point is that you shouldn’t judge a whole generation, just because their first birthday was after 1988.

• February 2, 2011 at 3:51 am

I didn’t grow up with Tron, but I wish I did. I’ve only seen it recently, but it’s awesome. Better than most modern movies IMHO. Why would Disney NOT mass-produce this movie on DVD? It makes no sense.

• Digger318

February 2, 2011 at 1:09 pm

20th DVD still £20 in UK so i guess we are lucky?

• Shanethefilmmaker

February 3, 2011 at 8:49 am

I just find it Ironic, most people who are complaining about Tron Legacy, put them in a time machine and send them to 1982 theatres with no memory of the first movie aside from what they have seen in those theatres, and they would be saying the same thing about Tron. No bullshit, people like Tron now mind you but the movie much like its sequel now was a big flop in the box office. Nobody wanted to pay to see it. For people who are saying this movie isn’t on par with the original they are sure acting the same way as the people who first saw the original.

• JohnnyHshSkywalker

February 3, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I have bought 1982″TRON”DVD even though I’m in China!I think it’s pretty cool film.I haven’t seen “TRON:LEGACY”,but judging from the ass-kicking DAFT PUNK”s Derezzed music clip, I s**t my pant.You kown what?I think seeingTRON:LEGACY is like seeing”INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF CRYSTAL SKULL””RAMBO(the latest one)””THE UNEXPENDABLES”and so on.All you gotta do is to re-remember the almost-forgotten heroes and their adventures~~~~

• gem2gemini

February 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I’m actually glad that you brought this up. When I saw the previews for Tron: Legacy, I very was interested in seeing it. I had always heard the original was great, but never really knew anything else about it other than what I heard.

So of course I wanted to see Tron before I went out to see Tron: Legacy. And I couldn’t find it anywhere (short of $100 which is outrageous in my opinion). A friend mentioned that they were probably waiting until the release of the new movie on DVD before they re-released the first on DVD, but by that time I was a little peeved off and started majorly ranting about how incredibly stupid that was.

Today I still have not seen neither Tron nor Tron: Legacy.

• cdude9590

February 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Tron on blu-ray is now up for preorder on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004KPLVW2/panandscathed-20

• Nenad

February 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm

@SoulRaiser
    the lines in the costumes are actual LED in the new movie as well.
    (everything else is prettymuch cg, but just wanted to point this out.

• Rayta Marsh

February 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I actually have the first Tron on DVD. Can’t remember where I got it though. I think it was in a small movie store in chicago.

• February 14, 2011 at 8:10 am

Boring film, boring concept, you know what BOOM to the lot of it!

• RC 1138

February 17, 2011 at 4:19 pm

So glad I found my dad’s TV recorded Beta Tape!

• February 23, 2011 at 6:12 pm

James here in Spain we have plenty of available copies of the original 82 movie at incredible prices. I know that the DVD is from a different region of USA but I’m sure that you will be able to handle it

I hope this will help

• arkus

February 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Sorry, in my comments I hadn’t noticed those will be out in April
    No need for panic, more are coming!

• broudebush00

February 25, 2011 at 3:35 am

I found my copy on DVD at walmart for like 13.00 double disk and everything. so its out there and you can get it just watch walmart when it comes to movies. thing about walmart they will have things ppl want for a few weeks then take them away and few months pass by and it comes back. Just like the orignal V series. got the whole set the miniseries, final V, and the series on dvd for 10 bucks a piece. like i said just check walmart if you cant find what your looking for when it comes to movies.

• Haseo55

August 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I know is alot late for this, but when i first bought my copy at Blockbuster(i live in Mexico by the way), there was a special pack that included a dvd with the original.

I dont know wa it released recently on store in the US?