TOP 5 Cinemassacre videos of 2010

James / December 31st, 2010

2010 has been a very busy year for me. I’m glad I accomplished a lot and am looking forward to 2011. My hope is to focus more on making that feature film!

Here’s my top 5 favorite videos I’ve made this year. Both AVGN and NON-AVGN. I decided to make two separate lists.

MY TOP 5 AVGN VIDEOS 2010

5. SWORDQUEST
It was a pleasure to talk about one of the most interesting stories in video game history. A failed contest, an unfinished game, and a bunch of missing treasures. Real gold encrusted treasures and a sword! The true quest goes on.

4. NINJA GAIDEN
The Nerd is all about showing how frustrating a game is. Sometimes I feel verbally limited. I need some kind of concrete example to prove how hard a game is. So that’s where the ninja came in. Ninja Gaiden was so hard, that you would need real ninja reflexes to beat it.

3. GAME GLITCHES
For a long time, I’ve wanted to do a video all about game glitches. Some of the glitches I encountered were really surprising. The “ClubberFuck” moment in the Rocky game was totally outrageous and I don’t know if I’d ever get that lucky again. Kevin Finn, who played the ninja, returns as the Game Graphic Glitch Gremlin.

2. HOW THE NERD STOLE CHRISTMAS
Narrative storytelling is what made this one special to me. The Nerd actually has a character arch and learns of the magic of bad games. I love those kind of stories about bitter characters like the Grinch or Scrooge who learn something at the end.ย The story is woven through the game reviews, so it accomplishes what you’d expect in a regular Nerd episode with reviews of “T&C Surf Design”, “Circus Caper” and “Fist of the North Star”. It was fun and extremely challenging to review the games in rhyme. It also helped me articulate the bad points about the games while keeping it fresh, and doing something DIFFERENT for once. (gasp)

1. DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE RE-REVISITED
The first Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde video wasn’t much of a game review. It was just an experiment to introduce the Nerd character. Since then, I’ve always wanted to go back and give a hard honest attempt at playing the game. That’s when I realized how impossible it was. I got so mad, I literally became my own alter-ego, The Angry Video Game Nerd. Getting my second chance at reviewing this game was almost therapeutic. The game is truly horrible in almost every way possible. It’s not too often I play something that gives me so much material to work with. It reminded me why I created AVGN in the first place.

MY TOP 5ย NON-AVGN VIDEOS 2010

Honorable Mention: MONSTER MADNESS!
Of course. That was 31 videos altogether. I really enjoyed looking at some obscure horror films and bringing many of them to light.

5. BLOB TOWN
Considering it took two and a half years to finish, it had to be included on the list, even if it only came out a few days ago.

4. TORNADO REX
We had fun playing the game. I really enjoy cutting together a short video every once in a while that’s straight to the point. Doesn’t need to be a 10 minute epic. It was like editing an 80’s toy commercial. Bootsy’s song is still stuck in my head!

3. FOLLOW THAT MARSHMALLOW: A GHOSTBUSTERS TOUR
It was a blast running all around New York City with Brett. Recently I was on a tour bus and passed by the New York City Public Library. The tour guide mentioned “this is where they filmed “The Day After Tomorrow” but said nothing about Ghostbusters. Ugh! That’s why they need me.

2. MR. BUCKET
This is sort of a hint at the kind of comedy/horror films I wish to make in the future. I like doing things that are scary and ridiculous at the same time. This project took an entire month to finish, from the writing, all the way to the editing and sound mixing. I had to get the bucket out again to do some foley sound effects. By that point, I was so sick of looking at it, I felt the bucket was really going to come alive and stalk me.

1. THE DRAGON IN MY DREAMS
Basically, the story of my life.

EVERYBODY, HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comments

• December 31, 2010 at 6:50 am

AVGN

How the Nerd Stole Christmas
    Action 52
    CheetahMen
    Ninja Gaiden
    DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE RE-REVISITED

Non-AVGN:
    Pretty much the same as yours.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Crust

December 31, 2010 at 8:53 am

Street Figher 2010 was my favorite by far. Capcom and Street Fighter history, TG16, Saturn, a cool NES game, classic hilarity… You knocked the ball out of the park with your first AVGN video this year, James. Street Fighter 2010 could be my favorite AVGN video of them all.

• glbarras

December 31, 2010 at 9:59 am

Congrats on a great 2010 James look forward to seeing what you have instore for us in 2011. Mr. Bucket was my film of the year laughed my ass off on that one. AVGN wise gotta go with your revisit of Dr. Jekyll I actually remember renting that P.O.S and yeah I still have nightmares. Just want to say thank you and have a great New Year.

• December 31, 2010 at 10:18 am

Probably the wrong place to post it, but the “Dragon inmy Dreams” video seems broken, it can’t find any playable files =|

• GoldRoger

December 31, 2010 at 10:25 am

happy shut the fuck up for you too, Nerd !

• December 31, 2010 at 10:51 am

2010 has been a banner year for Cinemassacre so it’s hard to pick just one to be the best video of the year. Here’s a top 5 in no particular order with AVGN mixed with non AVGN:

Cinemassacre 300: As inspiring as it was entertaining. Mixing all of your past filmmaking techniques and childhood drawings was a nice touch.

Follow That Marshmallow: Very well done overall and a must see for any Ghostbusters fan.

Swordquest: Simply the best AVGN episode ever.

Game Glitches: Glitch Genie!

Mr. Bucket: Funniest. Video. Ever.

• DaXiang

December 31, 2010 at 11:09 am

Happy new year from Singapore to James, Mike and fans of cinemasscre!

• LeonBlade10

December 31, 2010 at 12:48 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR, JAMES, MIKE AND EVERYBODY!!!
    AND NICE WORK WITH ALL YER VIDEOS!!!

• Gav

December 31, 2010 at 12:51 pm

happy new BEER! (he says crackin’ open a Bud) ^_^

Cheers James and Crew!

• Gonzalo_vm

December 31, 2010 at 2:46 pm

happy new year james!!!!!! Hope to see you in the 2011 with full strenght

• December 31, 2010 at 3:35 pm

THE DRAGON IN MY DREAMS and SWORDQUEST were my Fav’s this year. Thanks for everything James, hope this finds you well.

• December 31, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Every video you make is an instant classic! Here’s to more instant classics in 2011!

• Dr. Forrester

December 31, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Happy New Year James. You really did have some real gems this year. Personally, I’d squeeze in your Zelda II vid into the top AVGN vids but that’s only because I’m one of the many people who suggested it (I love the game, but it’s so fucking hard!) The Mr. Bucket video was also HILARIOUS, and I can’t thank you enough for such a great send-up to one of the most annoying commercials/products of the 90s

• Overlord9015

December 31, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Happy New Year from Lithuania, James!

• Steven Cantley

December 31, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Happy New Year James. This year was certainly a great year for everyone here and no doubt next year will be even better.

• December 31, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Happy New Year James the Angry Video Game Nerd you rule I’m looking forward to seeing what you have in store for 2011

• marclawson

December 31, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Top 10 Movie Moments That Have Nothing To Do With The Scene From Frankenstein Where The Monster Throws The Girl Into The Pond…

Is my #1!

Best thing you’ve ever done. Fucking Genius.

• BohsFan

December 31, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Happy new year James

• avgnfan3

December 31, 2010 at 9:27 pm

hey, i think you were more lucky that you got that glitch in the Cheetamen, even though it gave you more hard, lame levels to play through. Anyway I also agree with your choice of The Nerd Stole Christmas review, it was really good, i hope you are not too disappointed by the mixed reactions on youtube. Have a great new year Nerd!!!!

• Cck1246

January 1, 2011 at 1:23 am

No..NO NO……The best video game glitch ever…. Gemfire. like 12 years ago me and my brother were playing (if you don’t know the game look it up or play it…. its great)…..and the game for some reason F’cked up and did the usual Nintendo thing where it reset to the title screen and…… reset…….back to the title screen …..reset…back to the title screen…..Well after awhile we got it to work again. For some reason the Nintendo gods blessed me and the Flax or Tate families (which ever ones i was playing as… i cant remember) and gave me ALL the fifth units ( i think that’s what they called them)…..The dragon, the wizard …etc….etc… the funny thing was that Eselred still had the dragon too…my brother was screwed being malbrew and only having two territories.

• Cck1246

January 1, 2011 at 1:33 am

Sorry didnt get to mention THE DRAGON IN MY DREAMS video in my last comment. Its rare that we get to see a creators inspiration/ first memory’s and real emotion.. It made me think back and wonder why i do what i do… and why. It gave me the inspiration to finish my own personal project and to reflect on how far i had come and where i began , Thank you.. I mean it,

• Schloss Ritter

January 1, 2011 at 1:45 am

Thanks for another year of memories, James.

• main123321

January 1, 2011 at 1:50 am

All I have to say is…Thanks for a great year.

• EMSkrabs

January 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

its al gold james thanks but the avgn episode that made me laugh the most was deffo action 52 (i had coffee coming out my nostrils) mainly because of the saftey pin gag ๐Ÿ˜›

when i get paid next i’m totaly getting avgn volume 4 and a avgn hat or something

• January 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I downloaded Bootsy’s song and I play it at least once a day. It’s freaking awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€

• spearhead360

January 1, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Wishing you look on this year’s video.
    You won’t disappoint me, I just Know it.

• DaRokker

January 2, 2011 at 1:43 am

i completely agree with ur top choice
    dragon in my dreams isnt just ur best video but quite possibly the best internet video ive ever seen

• LukeNeufeld

January 2, 2011 at 2:34 am

The Dragon in My Dreams is my #1 favorite of all time. I can’t wait to see what kind of Cinemassacre movies the future has in store!

• January 2, 2011 at 4:44 am

Dragon in my dreams almost, and i reiterate almost, brought a tear to my eye since I do that from time to time, think about the past I should say. I think it will/did happen to everyone at some point in their life. I lift my soda (I do not really drink beer) to a good year of videos from you, James.

• Nerdy Nerd

January 2, 2011 at 8:34 am

cooooooooooooooooooool

• Gav

January 3, 2011 at 8:35 am

I loved Swordquest mostly because I yearn for any sort of RPG (well mostly action RPGs)

Mr Bucket was a RIOT!

How the Nerd Stole Xmas was different which was nice, but I missed the regular format, but it was nice as a 1 off special, clearly a hell of a lot of work went into it.

Dragon in My Dreams, this was odd for myself, I check here on a weekly basis and I must have missed this one for some reason, finding it in this list was my first viewing of it. I was shocked, I can see what was trying to be put across (hell we all have ‘gooey’ moments and places from our childhood) but I dunno this is just my opinion here so hold back on the flames (no pun intended) but it just seemed a little ‘fake’ with all the set-up shots showing loooong moody expressions (I was half expecting James to reach and grab the air at some point) and the touching of the Dragon thing…. and I dunno, it certainly conveyed the message and feeling in way and I got the connotations as a viewer, it just didn’t sit right with me knowing the tone of James other work and none self indulgent it is. It just seemed a bit to ‘sickly’ if ya know what I mean… a bit too ’emo’ where it wasn’t needed.

Awesome work James none the less!!!

• Jenifer

January 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm

i know that making this videos was not easy for you and that makes em even more specials! thanks for a great year and i hope that in this new year we will hear more from you guys, Mike; James and everybody who has something to do in this page… Happy new Year!!!!!!

• xclavex

January 3, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Great stuff James. I’ve been watching your videos since 2006, and they are always highly amusing and crack me up. I look forward to more goodies in the future.

• January 4, 2011 at 5:46 am

“THE DRAGON IN MY DREAMS” has got to be one of my favorites. “Mr. Bucket” comes in second. “FOLLOW THAT MARSHMALLOW: A GHOSTBUSTERS TOUR” comes in third.

I actually like the documentaries that James does. Makes me wonder if he has done anything for discovery channel though.

• Senter

January 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I love your ‘Game Glitches’ video. I show them to every friend who doesn’t know you already. It’s a great video to start out on. Other than that I show them bible adventures. Which gives a great laugh.

• stauken

January 4, 2011 at 11:54 pm

@supercaiin it probably has something to do w/ the overwhelmingly positive response and hard work that they put into that one, because it was great.

• January 5, 2011 at 5:42 am

Thank you the Nerd! I look forward all your videos and even my girlfriend now watch your videos with me! I especially like your videos on movies and I sometimes watch the movies you advise to watch (like the Godzilla films and others). I followed the Monster Madness month, which was fabulous to watch everyday!

But the best are on shitty games! It reminds me of old times! Thank you for that too. You have such a good talent! Keep going!

Please keep this way for 2011! Thank you again for all the hour of laughs, movie interpretations and swears in your video!

Let us know if you’re coming to Paris in France, I’m sure there are a lot of fans of yours in here!

Regards from froggy Frenchman

• Gav

January 5, 2011 at 12:51 pm

@supercaiin – each to their own as they say. but even though ‘How The Nerd Stole Xmas’ isn’t in my top 10… James and everyone involved still deserves great credit as at least they tried a change in direction, something different. Dunno about you but i’d get sick of churning out the same formula, week after week, month after month, year after year, catering to fans all the time, think it would sent me loopy! Let’s not forget too that James firstly and evidentially makes his work for himself, as any true artist does.

plus i don’t think it was bad and it defo didn’t ‘fail’, but it was just not to my taste either… but hey, ya can’t win em’ all!

• sobekflakmonkey

January 5, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I gotta say i personally really liked “the dragon in my dreams” all your documentary stuff is really good, and i like when you shed some light on your own life and let us in on these facts about yourself, its pretty cool, it definitely makes your audience appreciate you more.

• January 6, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I don’t agree the Jekyll revisited was a pile of BOOM as was Mr Bucket! http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/Index.php?ref=65348

• Erich

January 7, 2011 at 4:45 am

Ninja Gaiden and the bloopers video that came out for it too we’re probably in my top 5 favorite Rolfe videos of all time.

Kevin is hilarious as the ninja!! And James, good directing by having him go more “Splinter” with his voice. He nailed it and it came out so funny.

“Ninja…Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy -DEN.” *nod*

• zastrow

January 9, 2011 at 1:36 am

Mr. Bucket was so good. It’s definitely my favorite James Rolfe film of all time

• qaau74E

January 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Just like EMSkrabs I really liked the Action 52 episode. I also really liked this years Monster Madness.

• nmatney353

January 14, 2011 at 3:56 am

Hey James,

I’ve been watching your videos for nearly 3 years now. I have enjoyed them immensely. That being said, I just recently watched “The Dragon in my Dreams” for the first time (I must have missed it when you posted it) and I must say this is indeed one of my favorite videos I have watched of yours. The footage was amazing, the music was perfectly aligned to visual cues, and emotions swirled while watching the movie which, as you know, is very important in movie-making.

Thank you for the time you commit to shooting these films. I will continue to support your dream by watching your future films. I wish you luck and hope beyond words that someday you can move beyond low budget to the big screen no matter how endearing low budget can be.

Take care, James.

• johnmorisi

January 18, 2011 at 1:06 am

Dick Tracy

“…you know what?! I want to see the rest of the game! You can’t just let the game fucking win like that! So that’s why you don’t give up!”

I feel the same way, so this quote personally touched my heart haha. Even if I’m hating the game, I can’t the game and it’s fucking creators beat me!

• Nileman234

February 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm

U and Nostalgia Critic should have a contest to see which is funnier.

• January 1, 2013 at 9:00 pm