Bear McCreary’s blog – The Making of the AVGN Christmas Special

James / December 13th, 2010

Bear McCreary, who composed the music for the recent AVGN Christmas special has worked in television. He’s composed the music for The Walking Dead, Battlestar Galactica, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and a ton more. He recently posted a blog on his site about the music he wrote for the Nerd episode. For anyone interested in the creative process behind the AVGN videos, it’s mandatory you check out this blog. It includes a 5 minute “Making Of” video, and free downloads for the music. FOLLOW THE LINK HERE.

Comments

• itscmillertime

December 13, 2010 at 12:44 pm

i win!

• TheComputerNerd

December 13, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I really appreciate all the hard work and effort that goes into your videos, and the addition of Bear to this one really topped it out. Full Marks, Nerd! Thanks for making christmas fucking awesome.

• dcase

December 13, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I was floored when I saw Bear McCreary composed the music for the Christmas special. I’ve been a big fan of his for some time. AVGN and Bear McCreary in one video is like a super-hero team-up cross-over that I only thought possible in my dreams.

• Bimmy

December 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Did you pay him to compose that music?

• ScaryManiac

December 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Wow, that was just fantastic. Now I’m gonna have to see the video again!

• December 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm

WOW! I guess when when I read it, I didn’t really register it. Bear is one of my favorite modern score makers out there. Loved his BSG and Walking Dead scores. And obviously he’s got great taste! What a wonderful collaboration! Rock on!

• December 13, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Oh my God. I love you all guys!
    That’s really the most professional video of AVGN. At least it has the best score ever (this version of “You’re are mean one” is even better that the original in my opinion).
    Isn’t it great to have famous and talented fans that are dedicated to help you on your videos, James?

Now I’m going to watch the christmas special for the 10th time.

• horrorfanboy

December 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Will the Spike Christmas movie review be up soon?

• mantrox

December 13, 2010 at 3:56 pm

WOW I really hope that he will be also involved in production of Nerd the Movie!

• Juanako25

December 13, 2010 at 4:06 pm

James.

Would it be possible for us to get hold of the lyrics of the song?

Thanks.

• GoldRoger

December 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Great job by Bear

• December 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I still can’t believe you got Bear to compose an AVGN episode!!
    I am absolutly OBSESSED with his score for Human Target.

• darkknightdetec

December 13, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Sooooo cool. haha. LOVED this Christmas episode–it just shows that no matter what people say, the AVGN is here to stay!

• Senter

December 13, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Wow. When after having watched the video twice, and now reading this. I can clearly see why you think this is the best christmas video you made yet. Everything has been done so well with a lot of effort. I think sometimes people do not realise the amount of work that goes into video making.
    I did not even notice the classic 8 bit sounds in the music. Which is kind of emberassing as I truly love it. I’ll be looking forward to your new video!

• Bick Benedict

December 13, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I never knew it could be so involving –wow! that’s just incredible.. the collaboration alone. how did you get the money to enlist that stuiod’s help? was it free of charge since that guy liked you?

• December 14, 2010 at 1:07 am

Thanks for sharing James. It gave me a whole new appreciation for your Xmas Nerd episode, though I will do this one critique. When the narrator explains your behavior you didn’t do any laughs or hackles or anything. He explained, and you just talked after him. Your temperament was just too smooth and calm throughout the entire video. It seems like you used up all your anger in your past episodes and just don’t have the fight to be pissed off anymore. It’s like you’ve become numb to the whole thing. I know, I shouldn’t bad mouth your work cause I get to see it for free. And I don’t mean to sound like an impotent jerk just talking smack. All I am saying is what I saw in that episode. Otherwise it was great. Especially the music and drawings. I do have a better appreciation for the new video, but as I said those were what I saw and felt about the Xmas episode when I first saw it.

• pskeen0927

December 14, 2010 at 6:52 am

Love this behind the scenes stuff. Special features like these would be great for the DVD.

• strint519

December 14, 2010 at 7:00 am

That was really well done. Its always cool to see the thought processes and inspirations from a behind the scenes point of view. Thanks for the episode, the blog, and the music.

• December 14, 2010 at 7:31 am

I really enjoy this year’s christmas special …

• December 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

Very cool.

• Jenifer

December 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm

i saw the blog a couple day ago, and Bear was so excited about the AVGN xmas special! so poud talking about their job together =D thanks James for giving us this great vid! like you said Best Xmas Special Ever!!!

• fj89dsafdaskl

December 14, 2010 at 9:35 pm

ONLINE STORE—“ ==== W W W(famalegoods) c o m
    ====
    Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16
    Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $12
    Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $33
    Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30
    We need your support and trust!!! Dear friends, please

temporarily stop your footsteps To our website Walk

around A look at , in your sight shopping heaven and

earth You’ll find our price is more suitable for you.
    Welcome to our website === W W W(famalegoods) c o m
    Thanks to the support!

our websit: ★∴ ☆
    ╭⌒╮⌒╮★∵╭⌒ ★∴ ☆
    ╱◥██◣ ☆
    |田|田田│ ☆ ★
    ╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬

hy56

• Jigglysaint

December 15, 2010 at 12:03 am

Again, words fail me as to how awesome this is.

• Jon93y

December 15, 2010 at 1:21 am

The Grinch music is very cool, that I admit. But gotta say man…shoutin’ out that Kyle Justin freaking ROCKS!:) Hope to hear more electric hollow-body goodness from KJ soon:D

• amitechsolutions

December 16, 2010 at 2:07 am

Hi
    I like the
    calm-supplement

• Xen11

December 18, 2010 at 3:17 am

James,

You must experience Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I implore you to bring attention to the fact that it was a 4 season planned story and it should get a third season somehow.

How the fuck did you get Bear McCreary to work with you? Oh yea, because YOU ARE JAMES MOTHERFUCKING ROLFE !!!!

Bear’s Sarah Connor Theme is one of the greatest themes ever (You have to experience the series to understand the feeling).

The Sarah Connor Chronicles will always be the true successor to The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. It is the real Terminator 3.
    (Even though I dig T3 and Salvation, just no where near the love I have for TSCC though)

-Xen11

• December 25, 2010 at 9:04 am

Truly the most epic AVGN ever, and some rumor his last! http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/index.php?ref=65348

• pivotanimator231