Biff Tannen biography

James / November 18th, 2010

This video just came to my attention. You’ve seen parts of it in Back to the Future 2 when Marty’s watching on the TV, but this seems to be the whole thing un-edited.

I’ve seen similar videos turn up, like the newscast from Die Hard, and the full TV ad from Ghostbusters. But this one takes the cake. I’m really surprised this has never been included as an extra on a Back to the Future DVD. It’s a great find!

FROM THE YOUTUBE DESCRIPTION:

“BTTF.com has recently uncovered a copy of the complete video monitor footage from the ‘Biff Tannen Museum’ scene in Back to the Future™ Part II which Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) watches at the museum’s entrance while he’s looking for answers about his father’s demise.

This never-before-seen clip is an extension of the material we briefly see on film, featuring some elaborate glimpses into Biff Tannen’s (Tom Wilson) ill-gained rise to fame and power in Hill Valley.

The 3½ minute segment was digitized from an old VHS tape which had been saved by a Back to the Future fan with family connections to the film production at the time the sequels were shot in 1989-1990. To date, the following clip is not available on any other commercial collection, including the recently released 25th Anniversary Trilogy Blu-ray Disc and DVD boxed sets.”

Comments

• cptsrg

November 18, 2010 at 8:17 pm

what happened to the music and sound effects when they show the horse race?

• cptsrg

November 18, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Either way this was still one of the coolest BTTF things youve shown this month(and the AJ LoCascio interview)

• Butch Bitch

November 18, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing this man! A great find, indeed. I find it interesting how the audio goes on and off throughout the entire video.

• Solitary

November 18, 2010 at 8:30 pm

cptsrg: I guess it’s probably because they put the sound effects after editing the video, so that’s why this unedited version does not have it yet.

• November 18, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Amazing find!

• November 18, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I wish I could’ve been to the Biff Tannen Museum. That’d be surreal!

• frostare

November 18, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Cool! I was wondering what did he said in english, the original language of this movie. Specially the “third time´s the charm” didn´t know there was a way in english to say that!

• November 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Wow! @frostare I wonder how much gets lost in the translation of these films?

• SeanPT

November 19, 2010 at 12:01 am

Anyone have that link to the full TV ad from Ghostbusters?

• November 19, 2010 at 12:03 am

That was probably one of those things they didnt think about saving at the time they filmed the movie, and now with DVD they either didnt look for it or it was lost over time, but if they knew someone had saved it I’m sure they would of contacted them.

• November 19, 2010 at 12:06 am

Just like when they first released The Nightmare On Elm Street Series Box Set in 1999, they found out the original film for part 5 was damaged so they lost some deleted scenes and things.

• November 19, 2010 at 12:24 am

@cptsrg:

That was probably edited in afterwards. This must be the raw cut without VO, music and all that other stuff.

• November 19, 2010 at 6:03 am

This is unbelievably fucking cool! More Back 2 the Future in my life is always a good thing.

• November 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm

wait, how is buffard mad dog tennen biff’s grandfather??

remember his grandma, in the movies, was she mad dog’s wife?

makes no sense..

• jemount

November 19, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Wow! I remember watching this movie in the theater with my dad when I was just a little kid. Biff was one of my most hated antagonists back then. This footage really brings back memories.

• bend3r

November 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

@robblemob
    What makes no sense? We only hear her voice, for all we know there could be a 90 year old maddog in there with her.

• pskeen0927

November 20, 2010 at 8:34 am

Is it just me or was that kind of eerie?

• November 20, 2010 at 11:21 am

@SeanPT I would love to see the full Ghostbusters ad!

Here’s my video from the Twin Pines Mall reenactment.

• asnaes1981

November 20, 2010 at 11:38 am

Poor Lorraine. Her Earth-2 self had to marry Biff after he killed Earth-2 George McFly.

• danny

November 20, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Wow. Pretty amazing that this footage survived!

• Ben_from_G-town

November 20, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Very, very cool James. Thanks so much for sharing this and the other cool Back to the Future stuff with us. It’s always been one of my favorite movie series.

It would seem there are no sound effects and music, voices, etc in most of this, as it wasn’t the final edit for the film. They also might have only added those to the parts that were used in the actual film, as well.

I agree it would be very cool to see the full Ghostbusters TV ad. I hope you’ll show that to us as well, if one of us isn’t able to dig it up. I’m gonna’ go look right now! 🙂

• Dead Planet

November 21, 2010 at 8:16 am

Awesome!

Thnx for sharing, James.

• cr4b

November 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Ok I had to register just to post this, because I’m a Back To The Future nut. If my memory serves correctly, the audio is different in the movie. In the movie I’m pretty sure it says “great grandfather Buford Mad Dog Tannen” instead of just grandfather. The narrator is also more enthusiastic sounding.

• November 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm

HHAHA! It sounds like the producer is speaking to us through another dimension.

Either way, amazing find from BTTF site and thank you AVGN for presenting it on your site.

Your the man!

• November 22, 2010 at 3:43 pm

They might start calling you Mr BOOM-bastic James after all the hard work you put into these videos http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/index.php?ref=65348

• 4l13n

November 23, 2010 at 5:46 am

Holy Crap!
    I never thought this actually existed. I especially like how they put so much time and effort into making a tiny clip that they don’t even show on the screen for more than 15 something seconds. Would love to have more “inside info” about the trilogy 🙂 Keep it coming James!

• November 23, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Mmm seems like the guy cant figure to much stuff to say about biff xD good video tough unique stuff is always appreciated

• Squall85

November 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Wow, pretty cool footage! I hope it won’t get banned by youtube because a lot of videos got removed because of copyright shit. This is history! 🙂

• parcel god

November 25, 2010 at 5:07 am

this is really cool. I love Tom Wilson’s reactions to the flash bulbs. lol

• AdiThurgood

November 27, 2010 at 12:44 am

for god’s sake, thank god they cut that fucker

• November 29, 2010 at 8:09 am

Don’f forget Biff always lands in a pile of BOOM BOOM too ! http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/vizzedindex.php?ref=65348

• Schloss Ritter