AJ LoCascio interview

James / November 5th, 2010

Recently, I had a chat with AJ LoCascio, the voice of Marty McFly in the new Back to the Future game from Telltale. It’s just audio. You can watch it with images or download the mp3 here.

For more information about the game and some cool behind-the-scenes videos with AJ, Bob Gale and Christopher Lloyd, check out the official site at telltalegames.com/bttf.

The game will be released on PC and Mac first, followed shortly by PlayStation Network and iPad. Telltale is donating $1 to the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research along with each pre-order.  Pre-orderers also get a free bonus game with purchase (critically acclaimed Puzzle Agent), and access to an Insider’s Forum on our site.  All for just $24.95! (less than $5 per episode).

Also, the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary celebration is starting today. More info here. The movies are out on BluRay, in theaters for a short time… Great scott, this is heavy! With all this stuff going on, I think I declare this “Back to the Future Month”. Let’s do it! From time to time, I may post or link to some Back to the Future videos, articles or whatever. So if you’re attending the convention and have some video to share, send it my way and maybe, just maybe, I’ll embed them right here on Cinemassacre.

Back to the future is also known as De Volta Para o Futuro AKA Regresso ao Futuro, 重定向自 AKA 回到未來系列, Tilbage tip fremtiden, Zurück in die Zukunft, Ritorno al future, バック・トゥ・ザ・フューチャー, Наза́д в бу́дущее, Regreso al futuro AKA Volver al future, Tillbaka till framtiden

Comments

• darkknightdetec

November 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm

WOAH!! This is awesome James! North America finally gets a GOOD Back to the Future game! I already have it pre-ordered!

• TehJedicake

November 5, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I’m pretty excited for this game

• Zelda_Boy

November 5, 2010 at 1:08 pm

well, I WOULD be happy to play this game if I could. I don’t have a playstation 3 (and frankly, I don’t want one) or an ipad, and I don’t really like computer games, I like using a controller. they seriously aren’t releasing this for the 360?

anyway, that guy is pretty good at Marty.

• AARST

November 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Awesome interview, this is a cool guy and he does a great Marty. I’m looking forward to these games, TallTale hasn’t let me down and Back to the Future is awesome!
    You always seem to be able to come up with the best questions, James. Often when I listen to interviews there’s questions I’d like answered that weren’t asked, but your interviews are always really well thought out and clever. Thanks!

• Billistic

November 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm

meh. Looks kinda crappy, reminds me of a game like Full Throttle.

Why can’t they just make a nice first person game? I mean doesn’t this just look like fun?

• November 5, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Too bad there isn’t more of the game to look at. The actual look of the game –the characters– has DLC written all over it though. Hopefully it’ll be good; I mean, there’s no way it could be any worse than the old NES games. Right?

• Mustkunstn1k

November 5, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Billistic – I’m sorry, sir, but your an idiot.

1. Full Throttle was awesome.
    2. Why does first person make it better then this?
    I mean imagine the game. This is going to be an adventure game. What do you want, a shooter? Seriously, think about it. It wouldn’t have that much character interaction and seriously – why would Marty kill people?
    3. How does the Crysis video show any gameplay or story. You are not making any sense.

• Butch Bitch

November 5, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Wow, AJ sounds like a really kick-ass guy! I loved all his impressions.

By the way, there’s this REALLY cool site called DVD Beaver, which posts screencaps of DVDs, including Blu-Ray. And recently, they ust put up the stills for Back To The Future:

• warwagon

November 5, 2010 at 4:40 pm

WOW, it sounds just like him!

• Kiarachu

November 5, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I saw the film in cinema the last week…it was awesome!And I will buy this game for sure!

• Billistic

November 5, 2010 at 5:49 pm

1. Full Throttle was awesome.

Well I never said it wasn’t, it was awesome for it’s time.

2. Why does first person make it better then this?

Well because I’ll never be happy until we have a holodeck where I can fully realize myself as the character and perhaps “play the movie” with friends, maybe my buddy could play doc and I could switch Einstein with my dog.

But since I can’t I want the closest fucking thing possible. I don’t want a cartoony looking game I want realistic mutha fucka.

Yes and no. I want to play a story line. Check this out. Imagine if Rockstar Games teamed up with the BTTF Franchise. First off here’s a taste of what that’d look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LryoOaWud_8 – And this is using San Andreas, not even GTA 4 stuff (which is also on youtube and looks awesome)

OK so you play Marty and you play out the movie. The game starts you having to get to Doc’s house, this is where learning simple controls take place like how to skate board and latch on to cars and shit.

Then you get in to doc’s place and in predetermined animation you pick up the guitar, here it would switch to a tap to the beat thing kind of like the dance parts of GTA. After following along with the notes and getting the right pattern (have this gameplay style happen again at the enchantment of the sea dance) the big speaker in front of you blows up and that’s when you hear the phone ring. It’s doc and he says he has to meet you blah blah blah.

You play the movie through. Here’s the thing, you can’t play it like GTA where you’re blowing through stuff going 100 and running over people. But the game has to be forgiving enough to make it fun. So make a “Time Alteration Meter” if you do something like run over someone and kill them the time alter meter would go up half a chunk because you would have altered time much more because you’ve effected way too many people places and things.

So it’s more of a controlled gameplay, you can race to your destination if you wanted to but you better be a good driver. This would make these scenes in the game actually really fun to play:

- Driving the Delorean in the parking lot of Twin Pines while the Libyans shoot at you
    - Blasting out of the Farm at the crazy pine tree grower’s farm
    - Skateboarding infront of the malt shop while biff tries to run you over
    - the end scene with biff in the tunnel.
    - Flying the car
    - Hoverboards

(By the way, fuck it, do all 3 movies in the same game)

After the game is done there’s sandbox mode where you can freely drive stuff around and steal stuff without consequences, it’s storyless GTA mode. Except you have a flying car that when you drop from the sky it reaches the velocity of 88 MPH which makes you go back to an old west (Red dead redemption anyone?)

Tell me you aren’t squirting a little at my idea juice.

If Marty killed someone it’d be like losing a life, after 3 big ones (altering the future too much) it’s game over and you start from the autosave.

3. How does the Crysis video show any game play or story. You are not making any sense.

It shows graphics, it shows how it would look like to interact with the car (that travels through time) you didn’t think it looked awesome getting out of the car before it went over the ramp and then seeing it reappear?

I think a lot of the fun of BTTF is the time travel aspect I think it’d be fun make a car go in to the future then put up a big traffic jam of cars where the car would reappear.

Also there could be a little bit of a shooter built in to the game. How about a multilayer mode where you wear a radiation suit and hold the some of the parts from the back of the car with the flux capacitor and use it as a “time ray gun” you shoot another player and they get zapped back in time and that would count as a “kill” sweet too because you’d get around children video game laws too.

But yeah, anyway that stuff, or 3D puzzle game in a cartoon look DLC thing yeah…

Hope I made more sense, try to use your imagination a little next time.

• SpotXSpot

November 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm

And here I was having my “Doctor Who Month”…

• Squall85

November 5, 2010 at 5:51 pm

It was about time for a good BTTF game. All the earlier games suck ass. I only played the c64 version but I know all the others as well. I’m curios how they will make this game. As far as I remember there was a cartoon series but I didn’t really liked that either, But TellTale is good, I hope they won’t mess it up.

• November 5, 2010 at 6:10 pm

This was awesome, you should do a regular audio podcast!

AJ LoCascio’s British accents were surprisingly good (Jack Sparrow blew my mind), I hope he gets more voice acting gigs.

• Bronson

November 5, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Best impression of Jack Sparrow I’ve ever heard.

• Steven Cantley

November 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm

@billistic I’ll admit, the crysis game play (graphics wise)was pretty cool. maybe someone else could make a game like that or something.
    I liked your idea, but my only complaints would be these: how does a game being realistic make it better, and how would the controls work (like with the delorean going back in time etc), and why do we need another first person game in the first place, we have way too many already to keep us occupied. this looks fresh.
    I was also thinking that if they did make it like you said, they could make it like rockstar made the game Bully.
    but game-play wise though, it may just be best to stick to what telltale is doing. it just sounds kinda better to me because the story would be completely linear and I really can’t see a back to the future game any other way.

• Belligeron

November 5, 2010 at 7:49 pm

That was a damn good Ewan McGregor impression. His Jack Sparrow is flawless and I can’t tell any difference between him and Johnny Depp. His Marty is ok but I have never really heard an exact match to Fox’s voice before.

• Nightshade

November 5, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Great interview also today is the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary so today i saw all 3 films

• brainofjtd

November 5, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Calling that british accent a David Bowie impression would be better.

• zellermed

November 5, 2010 at 8:04 pm

As all of you guys, I know my BTTF well and I can’t wait for the game. I am amazed that they possibly came up with a premise for the story andn found such a great voice actor.

• Belligeron

November 5, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Today isn’t any anniversary as far as I know…the movie came out July 3, 1985. However, today is November 5, the same day Marty went back in time in 1955.

• Belligeron

November 5, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Alright nevermind that last comment I didn’t know about the celebration in Burbank until I clicked the link.

• Hermy1138

November 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Ok, so he said he was going to do a Jack Sparrow, I was thinking, oh please, not another one. People tend to suck at it, but holy shit!!! He nailed that one too

• November 5, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I’m going on a Back to the Future marathon later today…

• Lozzo

November 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Awesome. I’ll also be watching this AJ LoCascio with great interest, seems to have a great future ahead of him.

• rhsxo

November 5, 2010 at 11:16 pm

You posted this on the day that Doc Brown drew the Flux Capacitor. November 5, 1955. Good timing James!

• Billistic

November 6, 2010 at 12:45 am

ok.

Well the movie was live action so I’d like the game to be as close to live action as possible. Looking at GTA versus super mario wii which would you rather BTTF the game be like?

I’d imagine it’d be something like getting in to a taxi in GTA 4, you hit a button and the screen would go full screen looking at the time circuts and you use the directional pad to pick dates.

First person was just an example, I think 3rd person would work best.

this looks fresh.

Nah, penny arcade did it.

Yeah, exactly.

Just because a game uses a sandbox engine like GTA doesn’t mean it can’t have a linear story line. Odds are you’re a little kid who never got past the drive smash factor of GTA to find there’s actual missions and story arch to the game.

By the way, I’m not answering anymore questions about how my fantasy BTTF game would work, there’s no real point in getting in to it.

• SEABASS

November 6, 2010 at 1:33 am

Found this video of Teen Wolf (TV series) intro… It is hilariously awful!

• RetroGamer3

November 6, 2010 at 3:10 am

His voice when he dose Marty is so good it’s scary.

• November 6, 2010 at 4:21 am

James, don’t take this the wrong way, but you kinda sucked interviewing AJ, I mean the guy sounded really excited to be talking to you and you just sat there talking about your reviews, games and nostalgic things, it really feels like you didn’t prepared. on the other hand he sounds a lot like Marty and the other impresions are terrific, including Obi Wan, but at that point you kinda made him nervous I think. Anyway, thanks for uploading this, it was interesting to hear this kinda story (about him getting the role and everything)

• November 6, 2010 at 7:40 am

Great interview but I wish they talked about Biff. He’s a great BTTF character.

• pskeen0927

November 6, 2010 at 8:11 am

Wow , that guy’s good. That’s some access you’ve got, James.

• AFX

November 6, 2010 at 9:00 am

@Julio Saenz

Read the description, “I had a chat with AJ….”

Hence the word, CHAT!

• skorpax

November 6, 2010 at 9:17 am

Cant believe u posted this! I just watched the episode 1 and 2 last week! and i think ill watch the episode 3 today! great! The best trilogy ever made!

• November 6, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Hey James! Cool interview! I’m sure someone else has mentioned this, but…AJ sounds eerily like Michael J. Fox, which is probably one reason that he got the job. Awesome.

• Phill6

November 6, 2010 at 4:10 pm

WAIT
    SO THERE’S A GAME COMING OUT??? :O

wow, omg i didnt even know, WOW, This is so exciting!
    I thought the interview was going to be about the NES games LOL :D
    He sounds exactly like Michael, is just so weird, well, actually every impression he did sounded exactly like the character, he could have fooled me, wow, that was really amazing of AJ, he sounds like such a cool guy, there were a little bit of awkward silences from James, but AJ was able to keep the interview really interesting,
    By the way
    I don’t know if James or AJ ever went to the Universal Studios Back to the Future Ride, But, that ride was really awesome, and the story was pretty cool too, it had to do with Biff Stealing the time machine and Doc and Marty having to following trough time then you go to the future and for a little bit you go to the dinosaur era, well, it was really fun!
    now they replaced it with the simpsons ride :( is ok but is not as good,

• Dr. Hugo Strangelovecraft

November 6, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Screw Jack Sparrow. he should do a character in Monkey Island because with the voice actor they chose feels like some British animated sitcom.

• November 6, 2010 at 9:12 pm

A BTTF game by Telltale? Great!
    This company is quite good in picking up old franchises, we used to like, and continue them in a decent way. :D

• DaDulas

November 6, 2010 at 9:45 pm

• Paronfesken

November 7, 2010 at 12:44 am

James got a mouth like a HOOVER lol :)

• Kickasjake

November 7, 2010 at 2:09 am

My question is simple will this game be good or will James have to do another AVGN back to the future only time will tell

• November 7, 2010 at 3:02 am

I’m surprised you didn’t include Super Back To The Future II on Super Famicom in any of your reviews. Easily the best BTTF game(admittedly not saying much)

LET ME DRIVE THE FUCKING CAR. FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE.

• November 7, 2010 at 3:48 am

Whoops! just watched the BTTF retrospective.

I am DYING to know what you thought of Lords of Shadow. I think it’s the JJ Abrams’ Star Trek of Castlevania.

• Belligeron

November 7, 2010 at 10:33 am

DaDulas:

“Doc mentions in the 1st movie that he is going 25yrs into the future which was yesterday!”

Actually if I am not mistaken, when Marty and Doc are filming the time travel experiment, the date is Oct. 25th. If he were to go exactly 25 years into the future, he would have already arrived last month. But that doesn’t matter since at the end of the film he decides to go 30 years ahead instead, which obviously leads into the second film.

• November 7, 2010 at 11:37 am

Awesome video! Its cool how that guy saw your video and its nice to see someone make a game adaptation of a film with the respect it deserves. now if only they did that with film adaptations of games…

Also its cool how Al has played some of the shitty games you played!

• FinallyGAF

November 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I remember that I always thought the first BTTF Movie would be great for a graphic adventure, like Indiana Jones and the last crusade. Which was the best film adaption to a video game ever to this point, in my opinion. I was thinking about the fact that Marty carried this leaflet about the lightning incident at the clocktower and showed it to Doc. That was a typical Adventure moment, right there. Also being able to choose different lines to shout at the lybians when doc was shot. I enjoyed the new Monkey Island Adventures last year and really looking forward to play this one.
    And now some useless BTTF knowledge:
    After seeing this movie hundreds of times, I just recently discovered that I have overlooked something. When Marty showed the picture of his family to Doc, he just said something about it being a fake and that they cut his brothers hair or smth. I always thought it was a remark to 80s hairstyle fashion, and never assumed that this time erasing thing is already happening and therefore Doc knew so fast where to look for inconsistencies.

• Belligeron

November 7, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I know what you mean, I have seen the third one hundreds of times and just watched it yesterday, and for some reason I never noticed that after Marty says “Frisbie….far out!” Maggie says “it was right in front of him” to her husband.

• FinallyGAF

November 7, 2010 at 1:00 pm

More useless BTTF knowledge:
    Sorry, just hold on for one more…
    In germany, nobody (or most people) haven’t heard of Jack Benny, the supposed Secretary of treasury. So they’ve changed it to John Wayne being the secretary of defense. This I found funny even as a 9-year-old.
    Still I haven’t heard of Jack Benny, so I really have to admit that I don’t get that treasury joke.

• FinallyGAF

November 7, 2010 at 1:08 pm

@ Belligeron

That joke is much better in english. In the dubbing they would change it to Marty saying: “This is hot (or maybe spicy).”, then Maggie replys:”I think he means the spicy rim (or edge or whatever).”
    Anyway I also just saw that joke in english for the first time and it was a lot funnier.

• Steven Cantley

November 7, 2010 at 2:04 pm

@billistic I’m 17, and I actually got to the third island on gta4. i was thinking it couldn’t really be linear because if you had a time machine, you could just go back to the past/future and just mess with the story elements and it would mess the whole story up.

• November 7, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Michael J. Fox should do the voice. No one else!

• Billistic

November 7, 2010 at 3:30 pm

@Steven Cantley

Not really, in the first movie you can’t use the time machine because you don’t have plutonium to make the time machine travel through time so in the linear story mode you really couldn’t just up and time travel.

Second movie, Doc drives the time machine for the most part. Marty is off dealing with biff and such.

For the story mode of this “perfect game” I’m describing, I’m assuming when you play story mode things like the time circuits wouldn’t be accessible.

Then have the time circuits available after story mode in multiplayer/sandbox mode.

Also I’m assuming the game would just allow the user to go to predetermined time periods, not be able to select the day, minute, etc. Just the effect of being able to go back and forward in time to see a difference in surroundings is good enough for me, I don’t need to have any of that Fable plant a tree and come and see it all grown later.

• tawfik

November 7, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Hey James, have you ever heard of the tv serie “Spin City” starring Michael J Fox? I’m sure you did, though the episode 3-18 is named “Back to the future 4, Judgement Day”! With Guest starr Christopher Lloyd, it’s a really cool episode, full of reference to the three movies, and it’s awesome seeing those two playing together again!
    Woth the watch

• ajgenard

November 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I am super excited for this as well as Telltale’s other episodic game supposed to come out at the same time, Jurassic Park. I can’t figure out why nobody seems to care about JP. Haven’t heard another thing about that game since it was announced 5 months ago. Some people don’t even know considering all the attention BTTF is getting. I blame JP3 for causing disinterest in the franchise.

But this is a great interview. Like all James’ interviews it’s candid and honest, mostly devoid of talking points.

• Gabraham

November 7, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Not gonna lie, I only just now learned about a new Back to the Future video game and instantly blasted a load in my pants from the thought, given that I’m a huge fan of the movies and loved them as a kid. That was before I even discovered that this game would actually be a continuation of the story.

Holy shit it’ll be like a whole new movie, I can’t wait for this to come out!

• November 8, 2010 at 9:47 am

You just made me preorder the game :) Great as always!

• November 8, 2010 at 10:43 am

• Valis77

November 9, 2010 at 3:22 pm

he sounds almost like him.

• November 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm

This be good news.

• Ben_from_G-town

November 12, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Wow, that is most interesting. Do we have any idea why Michael J. Fox couldn’t do the voice? He’s too old… just didn’t want to, or what?

Nevertheless, this guy is really great at doing the voice, and the idea of this game sounds really interesting! I really want to know more of what it is about! :)

• Mr. K

November 12, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Michael J Fox is most likely not doing because it’s incredibly difficult for him to work– period. All the guest appearances he’s done since being diagnosed with Parkinsons take two to three weeks longer to film than a normal episode.

Besides, his voice doesn’t sound the same anymore. And he’s developed a slight stutter because of the condition.

• Makeda

November 17, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Would love to get a hard copy of the game :D
    Just Downloadable version is fine to though …
    I love his jack sparrow impression, sevvy :P

• November 17, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Games, I got thousands of em, but back to the future, no I do not have that, why? Coz its BOOM! http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/vizzedindex.php?ref=65348

• saurabhpan3

November 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I think Mike did the voice of marty.

• phoenix252005

December 23, 2010 at 8:12 am

wow he sounds just like Michael J. Fox! I cant wait to play the game

• avgnfan155

December 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Hey James,
    I recently looked at GameStop.com and the feedback was not to good

You should review the game and give your thoughts
    Its only on PC and I don’t know if you have it or not.

• mitchbitch

December 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm

the game is in german stores yet. take a look at youtube.

the game is a bad joke. it looks like robert zemeckis is making games now :( no action, bad cgi and a more lame gameplay than lucasarts’ indiana jones…

its ridiculous to say, but its worse than the ljn game :(

• panic

January 19, 2011 at 2:26 am

I cannot believe that they were so upset about what LJN did to the franchise, and then they decided: “What’s the best thing to do?” Make a puzzle game of course that involves hardly any human involvement other than forcing the story forward. Time and money that would have been better spent making a crappy CGI movie instead of a crappy CGI walkthrough puzzle game. Do they honestly think the target audience for this franchise are between the ages of 5 and 9? Such a joke… I have to stop myself from going into it more…. 2 hours of my time poorly spent. And it probably woudl have only been about 30-40 minutes long if it wasn’t for the fact that I spent a lot of time walking around hoping for the story to go further into detail.

Instead of splitting this into 5 episodes, it should have been just a 2 sequel game with actual player involvement. I found myself falling asleep playing this atrocious game.

• holder

June 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I play the first episode of the game and is amazing. When I first see the intro i was immediately hooked. I should play next episodes. his voice is excellent as Marty McFly , I am happy they hired him to do the acting.

• June 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm

so creepy how he sounds exactly like him… XD

• errdog

July 1, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Why hasn’t AJ LoCascio posted his pic and info on imdb?

• October 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Great Interview!

• CollinWahlund

December 18, 2011 at 2:23 am

People who can’t understand a game that is based around plot rather than twitch reflexes are the kind of mouth breathers I’d expect to like the LJN games in the first place, “panic”.

I can see why mental challenges aren’t much fun for the unarmed. Please pray tell what craptastic kind of gameplay you think would make Back to the Future games interesting. Obviously a detailed plot is not on your list.