UPCOMING 24 HOUR NINTENDO PLAYING MARATHON FOR CHARITY

James / October 15th, 2010

Pat the NES Punk will be having a 24 hour game-playing marathon for charity. He’ll be playing 750 NES games in a row. Damn! Good luck, Pat.

It starts on Saturday, October 16th at 3PM EST and will be streamed live here:

More details from his site (ThePunkEffect.com):

The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) marks its 25th Anniversary in North America on October 18th, 2010. To celebrate the occasion, game reviewer “Pat the NES Punk” will play every game in the 8-bit NES game library (750 games) in a row during a 24 hour marathon. The event will be streamed live via the internet to raise money for the charity Child’s Play, an organization that provides hospitals with toys, books and games for sick children.

Released in the autumn of 1985, the Nintendo Entertainment System greatly helped to revitalize the dying home video game market in the U.S., and was largely responsible for helping to re-grow the industry into the multi-billion dollar mammoth it is today.

“The 25th anniversary of the NES is an historic day not just for video game history, but for popular culture in general,” said Pat Contri. “The NES had a significant impact on society, as both children and adults today still enjoy the games and characters that lived and breathed during that time. Playing every game that was released for this beloved game system will be a great opportunity to pay homage, educate the public, and have fun while raising money for a great cause. Also, I have nothing else planned that weekend, so it seems like a good idea.”

The NES 25th Anniversary Marathon is sponsored by NintendoAge.com, RetrowareTV.com, and ScrewAttack.com. The charity Child’s Play has existed since 2003, and has collected over 5 million dollars in donations of toys, games, books, and cash for sick kids in 70 children’s hospitals across North America. Their website is located at childsplaycharity.org.

The marathon’s live coverage will begin on Saturday, October 16th at 3PM EST and will carry over into the following Sunday evening. Sponsors NintendoAge.com, RetrowareTV.com, and ScrewAttack.com will all be live-streaming the event, which will be powered by Ustream.com.

Here’s the donate link.

Comments

• bick.benedict

October 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm

first motherfuckers!!!!!!!! :-_

• Ronin

October 15, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Thanks for posting this James, would have never heard about it otherwise. Nothing gets me into the spirit of giving like watching someone do something completely unreasonable.

• Cinesoda

October 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Good cause guys.

• taliesin58

October 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm

A new game every 2 min.?

• October 15, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Cool James. I’ll be watching it as much as possible. I hope the charity makes millions to help sick children.

• RetroDud

October 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Yeah, I’ll chip in $50, not entirely sure what that is in pounds, have to check the current exchange..and James, you should do a 24 hour crap horror movie marathon, not only would it be funny, but informative too,
    (I’m joking of coarse)

• Wing Dairu

October 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Yay for video games!

• Mariusz69

October 15, 2010 at 8:15 pm

That’s bullshit. Charity is giving your own money anonymously. This guy’s using this “cause” so he can either 1) draw people to his website or 2) get famous so he can be an “internet celebrity” and make $$$ from that. Or at least get whatever “currency” is involved in stroking his EGO. Fuck that, I’m not giving that guy a goddamn cent.

• MRRB452

October 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm

He’s going to spend less than 2 minutes on each game if he wants to play 750 of them in 24 hours and if they’re not already pre-loaded when he switches games, most of that 2 minutes will be spent loading the game.

• videogamehunter

October 15, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I can try make a donation. It will be a small one but I’m willing help out.

• TheProfessor

October 15, 2010 at 10:59 pm

@Mariusz69

and? Who cares? I don’t care if the guy uses this to become more famous than God. It’s the result that counts, and what is that? HELPING FUCKING CHILDREN! And charity and being anonymous do not go hand in hand. Why would the government let you write it off on your taxes if so?

Jeez, So many people these days are looking for any reason to pick apart anything you do just so they can yell “fail!” and feel better about thier own miserable little lives.

Pat the NES Punk kicks ass. I applaud (and support) him in what he’s doing.

• October 15, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I for one think this is an awesome cause. Pat is trying to do something good when most people are just look out for themselves. Kudos to James also for supporting the event! You guys rock!

• ophelius

October 16, 2010 at 1:58 am

Ya, I don’t see how playing 1 1/2 minutes per game will consist of playing them. Especially with some games having intros you can’t skip, plus bathroom/meal breaks, plus trying to get the cartridges to run(he might need to blow on a few of them, haha). That leaves like 60 secs a game. I wonder if he’s going to play each Action 52 game, lol

• October 16, 2010 at 2:25 am

@bick.benedict

You……dirty……mother…..fucker…..lol

• October 16, 2010 at 2:28 am

oh yeah…..and also totally agree with TheProfessor. Its not like hes gettting shit off of it, and even if he did, who gives two shits. Some people WILL bitch about the dumbest shit.

• October 16, 2010 at 3:23 am

Mariusz69

I remember when my buddy started donating to charities, he said, “I’m only telling you, because if you tell everyone, it becomes a selfish thing.” I agreed.

A few weeks later it came up again, and he said, “I actually started telling more people, because as long as I know myself it’s not selfish, it’s not, and by telling other people I do this, I might inspire other people to do the same.”

So it’s a double edged dildo, it all depends on who you are, and ultimately, most importantly, what you’re donating to.

• Punkspring

October 16, 2010 at 5:55 am

buuuuuut your supposed to have a 15 minute break every hour of play! this guy is reckless maan

• Terroo

October 16, 2010 at 7:28 am

Maybe James should do something similar?

• October 16, 2010 at 9:45 am

I did this, but instead of just NES games I played Castlevania for 24 hours strait!!! This was my first play through of the series. James really inspired me to play it with all his rantings about it’s awesomeness. I started with one, then I beat 2 (with major help from the viewers), and got stuck on 3. Castlevania 3 is a BITCH!! Anyways after that my thumb was actually numb from the d-pad and I was slurring all my words =D. Here is me beating a REALLY hard level after being stuck on it for about 3 hours http://www.justin.tv/puddin1/b/264316105 (the total time played is in the corner).

My advice to this guy is…..buy energy drinks……you will need them…

• October 16, 2010 at 9:55 am

man, I wish I could watch but I’m not gonna be near a computer tomorrow. crap.

• freakasaur

October 16, 2010 at 9:58 am

We are going to watch and donate. This looks like a very worthy cause! Our family loves Cinnemassacre

• MisterE

October 16, 2010 at 12:11 pm

the guy looks like a major dweeb but it’s a good cause. i think the marathon is kind of a non-event though. first of all, 24 hrs is not THAT insane of a game session. I played Fallout 3 once for about 12hrs. That was the only time I ever did something like that, but still. The biggest problem is the every game in NES library thing means only a couple of minutes, which equates to not really ‘playing’ even ONE game ultimately. To ‘play’ a game you are trying to win. This will be just stating the game, messing around for a couple minutes and moving on. What would be more impressive and possible more attention grabbing, would be if he picked ONE game and forced himself to play THAT game over and over and over and over. A game like Contra would be perfect for that. Or Super Mario 3. THAT would be truly insane. If he did that and was trying to actually play the game to win for 24 straight hours, that would make for something almost of interest. 48 hours would be epic, and possibly become a thing of legend, with allowed breaks of course.

• MisterE

October 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm

oh wow i just noticed David Kamner’s comment. so yeah i mean the cause is there, but in terms of it being a challenge, there’s not much of a challenge there. you don’t really need much mental focus to fool around for a couple of minutes in a game with no pressure to actually accomplish anything in it. Kamner already set the bar higher by actually beating games or trying to. Also, i gotta say, how is is possible that someone can beat CV1 but not CV3? I think CV1 is impossible but I’ve beat CV3 several times.

• October 16, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Really!? I found 1 WAY easier…3 took me FOREVER. At that point in the stream as you can see I was getting pretty aggravated lol. It is hard to remain funny and alert for 24 hours XD.

• October 16, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Humanitarian gamer punks of the world, unite! \8-D

I hope he plays Strider, Bionic Commando, and Faxanadu.

• October 16, 2010 at 3:29 pm

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! I may do the same thing with all of the SNES games, I need to raise money for Mishandled pets in my state, we’re building a state park and a rescue.

• Schloss Ritter

October 16, 2010 at 5:22 pm

750 games in 24 hours… so he’s going to play for less than two minutes each?

• SilverShadow333

October 16, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Hey James, I was watching the live broadcast and when he got to Battletoads, we got him to pause it and do the dance. xD It was awesome. Hehe.
    Good way to get money/fun stuff for some kids! =)
    Thx for posting the link.

• MisterE

October 16, 2010 at 6:07 pm

@ David Kamner – yeah man, I to this day have not been able to kill dracula in CV1, but that has probably been my favorite series of games (LOVE CV4). It’s become one of those games that I always plan on beating just for revenge from my childhood. That list includes the likes of Batman, Ninja Gaiden, and a few others. If I ever do beat any of those, I would like to think I would immediately drink a whole 5th of jack daniels whiskey in one drink, then piss on the cartridge, but at the very least I will drink some beers to celebrate! The reaper is what always screws me with CV1, and I know the holy water is supposed to be the best way to beat the reaper but I’ve never tried to keep it all they way through that level. Even with triple boomerang the reaper is a bitch. I beat the Japanese version on an emulator, it has an easy mode. That doesn’t count. CV3 has some hard spots, like that level in your video, yeah I get stuck on that level maybe for days (using code to continue later), but eventually I get past it. I like all of them though. I wish they would make another 2d CV game like those instead of those shitty symphony of the night remakes. what the hell is wrong with konami?

• October 16, 2010 at 9:23 pm

This might have worked better if there were a few systems going and people were playing in shifts keeping a few games going at the same time. Continuing to play until getting game over. Maybe even getting volunteers to donate their time and systems and then have people sign up to donate based on how many levels are cleared or a Bonus for beating a game? Similar to a Walk A Thon. The schools out here have done them a few times as fund raisers.

I just think this could be done on a bit larger scale than this and allow for more players with working equipment to join in.

• scronan

October 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm

@MisterE – Good luck with CV1 man…is it the Count’s 1st or 2nd form that you’re having trouble with? Yeah the Holy Water will completely destroy all of the bosses except the counts 1st form. Very rewarding game to finish and one of the best. CV3 is definitely harder by a long shot. One of these days I need make a top ten (or 20) hardest NES games vid…because I’ve yet to see one that was 100% honest (even SA’s wasn’t – Super Contra???). I played and beat most of the near impossible to finish games for the NES as a kid…but there are still a few that drove me to near insanity and I had to give up (Ghosts n Goblins, TMNT, Bayou BIlly and Ninja Gaiden, oddly enough, were ones that I did finish). 😉

• Keileen

October 17, 2010 at 10:17 am

This reminds me of the Super Mario Marathon, which also was amazing. I love that people actually do this kind of stuff !

• October 17, 2010 at 6:05 pm

GREAT CAMEO JAMES. I love Golgo 13 as a kid so it’s a nostalgic thing for me.

• Ronin

October 17, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Secret Episode was awesome James!! Best surprise ever!

• the gherkin

October 17, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I saw your video on the marathon. Great stuff!

• lcvolt

October 17, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Hey James, which games did you donate for this Marathon?

• October 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

@MisterE – Well I kinda cheated. The viewers gave me hints and tricks to get through it better. There is a trick you can do that makes the cookie monster really easy. Also, the holy water is a must! If you watched my video you saw that I kept it the whole time….that is what made that level in CV3 even harder, you have to beat it all on one life because the holy water is only in the beginning of the level.

• Andrew Johnson

October 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

what secret episode? damn, i missed it. screw you european time!!!!!

• December 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Wow! an NES marathon while monster madness is going on! Holy SHIT!!!!