Back to the Future 25th Anniversary CON and Self-Lacing Nike shoes

James / September 3rd, 2010

Since this year marks the 25th Anniversary of Back to the Future, there seems to be a lot going on. First, there’s a big convention happening in Burbank, California. November 5 to November 12, 2010. Check out the site here. Be sure to look at the schedule and celebrity list. The whole thing looks amazing and to boot, the profits will help fund research for Parkinsons disease. I doubt I’ll be able to make it personally. If anyone goes, let me know how it is.

The other bit of news is that the SELF-LACING SHOES from Back to the Future 2 might actually happen. I’m getting TONS of emails about it, and have received a number of different links, so I’m not sure which link to point to. You’re best off doing a Google search. It seems like what they’re saying is thatΒ Nike filed a patent for it recently, but we still don’t know how exactly they’d work, or when they’d be in stores, if this happens. We can all hope it’ll happen by 2015, like in the movie. I’m sure the year 2015 will be see a lot of other Back to the Future 2 stuff. I doubt the flying cars though.

Oh yes, and there is another Back to the Future thing happening. From the Nerd.

Comments

• Superghost6

September 3, 2010 at 10:10 am

next up, 3d jaws commercials

• September 3, 2010 at 10:11 am

cool!

• Amelia

September 3, 2010 at 10:12 am

So completely awesome.

Your “you know whats bullshit” video on shoe laces will be outdated then!

Can’t wait for the new Nerd video. Keep doing what you love James at your own leisure, ignore the trolls who keep demanding crap from you.

• browncoat

September 3, 2010 at 10:17 am

He should just boot the fuckers off the site. I would….

• randomuser

September 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

As I said before even I could wait tell wensday next week Its not like there are no other people on the internet who make funny videos also.

But browncoat you need to stop popping up so quick saying shit about haters I see your comments just as much as the trolls quit feeding them.

• September 3, 2010 at 11:01 am

BTTF rules! Maybe some of your fans will come thru and send you some footage of the event.

• browncoat

September 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

My comments werent directed at you but were meant for everyone in general. There are far too many whiny assclowns on this site.

• browncoat

September 3, 2010 at 11:17 am

Actually one comment was directed at you but the rest were meant for people in general.

• DecCon83

September 3, 2010 at 11:18 am

I sooo want a pair of Self-Lacers.

• Vixx

September 3, 2010 at 11:31 am

That’s good and all, but.. AVGN? πŸ™

• robert_boy_genius

September 3, 2010 at 11:36 am

GREAT SCOTT!!!!

• Gonzalo_vm

September 3, 2010 at 11:37 am

awesome!!!!!! but what about AVGN?????

• mattyv225

September 3, 2010 at 11:41 am

Yup this does sound cool but where is AVGN?? πŸ™

• ObSoLeTe

September 3, 2010 at 11:43 am

mate id luv to go to the 25th anniversary but there no way of getting there tho.

awesome news i cant wait to see what u have in store for us james.

one thing id like to see yah do is some more movie reviews as the nerd, i really enjoyed the turtles trilogy you reviewed.

thanks for all your videos mate cheers : )

• Fibox

September 3, 2010 at 11:49 am

i hope you come finland someday james with mike. i like to talk with you. about every thing and if thats is okey we go baar and drink little bit πŸ˜€ keep out the good work!

• randomuser

September 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I know you weren’t talking about me I was just stating a observation.

• Thomas101

September 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm

When will the new AVGN be up!? I’m so excited!

It’s 7:10 pm (Netherlands)

Guess it’s a bit earlier at your place.

OOh man!

• Thomas101

September 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm

BTW

1.21 GIGAWATTS

• ryanonbass

September 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Hey, we already have flying cars, they are actually real

• Liam Gauci

September 3, 2010 at 12:35 pm

self-lacing shoes!!!! finally πŸ˜€

• Billistic

September 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Ah, AVGN is going to review the really really awful BTTF 2 and 3 games for the NES (Both games were on the same cartridge.

• TheIceMan

September 3, 2010 at 2:00 pm

This sounds pretty cool. I live really close to Burbank, so I’ll try to make it. I just can’t believe how expensive some of the events are, but the filming locations tour sounds fun (I’ve already found the BTTF 2 hoverboard chase tunnel by accident).

• September 3, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Hmmm.another Back to the Future Nerd! Sounds awesome! But what games will you play? You already did all the NES and from what i know, their isn’t really much else.

Also, thanks this article about the self lacing shoes is awesome!

• September 3, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Look at the “Celebrities” page of weregoingback.com, near the bottom, in WESLEY MANN’s profile… Check the second bullet point. It says Marty Mcfly knocked out Biff??? I thought GEORGE McFly knocked out Biff.

Or is this another Special Edition thing?

• September 3, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Give us avgn episodes!

• ysdarkfact

September 3, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I just hope the Cubs can win the world series by 2015…

• September 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I don’t know about you guys, but I got my flying car! It’s Griff’s BMW!

James, we would love for you to attend the reunion!

• nerd_lover

September 3, 2010 at 3:03 pm

where is the new nerd ?!?!?!?!?!1
    you said friday !!!!!!

• Retrogamer1988

September 3, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Give it some time, james usually delivers as promised. I wonder if BTTF has anything to do with the new avgn today?

• September 3, 2010 at 3:42 pm

There’s still lots of time left to Friday, be a bit patient dammit.

• Bloodhavoc

September 3, 2010 at 3:44 pm

yes he said it would be up friday night, i believe around 9pm he said.

• Pago

September 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Actually, there was a video on Dvice.com the other day about self-lacing shoes. They’re not by Nike (though I did hear about Nike’s patent a few days ago), but rather a homemade project.

They look pretty good, assuming it’s genuine and not a hoax.

• asdfasdf

September 3, 2010 at 5:33 pm

The Cubs are in a good position to be a competitive team in 2015. Most MLB teams that aren’t the Yankees go through peaks and valleys of competitiveness, and the Cubs are one of those teams. Right now they are in the lowest point of the valley, and I can imagine that it will take at least a few years to get back to the playoffs. They just got rid of all of their dead weight (old, overpaid players like Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez. Similar dead-weight like Zambrano and Soriano will probably get the boot this offseason). The team was just sold to a new owner who actually cares about winning (wow), and they will be bringing in a new manager and General manager (the old one basically ruined the team for years to come) next season. Everything’s set up for the Cubs to be playoff, if not World Series, bound by 2015.

• Jimbo

September 3, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Back to the future predicted the future. Now we need self drying jackets.

And just a little rant. What’s with these people that expect the new AVGN to be up the second it becomes Friday. Are they new to the site? They would have to be because if they weren’t they would know it would be up Friday night. Be patient it’s still Friday! Not late at all.

• flippythemaster

September 3, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I’ve heard that those shoes were made to be non-functional. In other words, it’s just really cool fanart. If Nike really did patent them though then that’s awesome.

• Naccarius

September 3, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Lol, we’ve got a better shot at flying cars in 2015 than the Cubs winning the World Series

• JayRam

September 3, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I wish I could see the look on some of your faces the day James announces the Nerd’s retirement.

• rossbosstx

September 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm

oh my God they found me ,i don’t know how but they found me. WHO?
    who do you think THE LYBIANS. run for it marty!!!

• manicmaty

September 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Here in the UK they’re re-releasing the first in cinemas to celebrate the anniversary.

• Amelia

September 3, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Wow that’s awesome manicmaty.

Imagine seeing it in theatres…that would be magical.

• Undertaker

September 3, 2010 at 6:59 pm

its almost 8 o’clock here on the east cost. i still havent seen the posting for the new nerd vid. i will b patient though and hope it will b up soon

• AVGNfan315

September 3, 2010 at 7:18 pm

It looks like there could be Bact to the Future game review. Thats sounds exciting, I could be wrong though.

• OdieMikes

September 3, 2010 at 7:50 pm

If he started reviewing things outta the 80’s in ’05 then there’s no way it would take him 40 more years to reach the shit of today. Granted as the years and systems progressed there was a lot more shit versus good. Still he probably doesn’t want to be “The Nerd” for the rest of his life. When it runs it’s course, he’ll retire it. Perhaps a new nerd will emerge to tackle the shit of our generation for our children to watch. It has been foretold! Lol.

• hamuto

September 3, 2010 at 7:53 pm

im waiting… and waiting….(commits suicide) lol, jk, cant wait though fof the episode, ur awesome james and mike

• September 3, 2010 at 8:06 pm

It seems like all the nerd episodes are starting to come out at midnight, is this gonna be the precedent?

• September 3, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Parkinson’s disease, huh? We all know exactly why it is specifically Parkinson’s right? Our Mary McFly, out Doc Hollywood.

Oh, and the Back to the Future series is getting a lot lately. First, a point-and-click adventure game was announced that has Christopher Lloyd to voice Doc Brown (You know that bastard’s gonna be 72 on October 22?), the self-tying shoes, the 25th Anniversary thing, and a new BttF Nerd video. This just keeps on getting better and better.

• Squall85

September 4, 2010 at 3:18 am

Yeah, and hoverboad from Matel! We want that too!

• Kiarachu

September 4, 2010 at 6:16 pm

eheheh…I was one of those sending the email about the self-lacing shoes :3
    Now I feel a little proud ^_^

• strint519

September 5, 2010 at 3:34 am

Nice the Air Force 1000’s….can’t wait to get a pair. Stay clear from the knock offs tho, they will prolly sever your achilles.

• September 5, 2010 at 7:48 am

I remember you talking about those laces in You Know What’s Bullshit. Perhaps now your dream will come true.

• September 5, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I want the self-lacing shoes. Also, gamerdude122, thanks for letting us know about the game, I’m glad to hear Christopher Lloyd is still working, the last thing I saw from him was the “Gobstopper: The Movie” fake trailer (which I’m STILL disappointed isn’t going to be an actual movie), which he was brilliant in – http://www.gobstoppermovie.com/ if anyone hasn’t seen it, because everyone should see it.

• Karate Kid Icarus

September 6, 2010 at 2:59 am

I think I’m their reason for that rush to judgment on the laces.

My timing seems accurate and the patent date as well according to my email. So you can somewhat give me props if its constitutes anything at all. I know I won’t get anything out of it, nor anything else for that matter, (I probably have to buy the shoes), but I personally think its just about time.

Also, if you really want to thank anyone at this moment, you should thank “Ryan K” for passing my message along to the appropriate people.

——————–
    From Nike: (Ryan K) – 11/13/2009 07:58 AM
    Hi,

Great suggestion, Power Laces would be pretty awesome.

I’m happy to pass on a suggestion to our product developers and hopefully we’ll be able to offer something like that in the future. We always appreciate feedback from our customers!

Thanks and have a great day!

Ryan
    Nike
    ——————–

• September 6, 2010 at 5:41 am

I would love to have one of those hydrators. But I’m not so sure the food will taste as good as old-school home made dinner.

• lonewolf40

September 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Dang it! I live in southern California, so it wouldn’t be hard to get there, but my actual DeLorean is in storage in Chicago. :-/ It’s not “BTTF” decked out, but it’s still the iconic symbol of the films and would be great to bring along. Oh well. Maybe when the 50th anniversary rolls around…

• XenoAlpha

September 13, 2010 at 6:49 am

Ah man!if only i lived in California…….Awesome stuff like this always goes on there.I’m a big Back to the Future fan and i would have loved every event, i just hope they record what it was like there on video and release it online or something.

• September 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I wish I had a pair of self lacing shoes http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/Index.php?ref=65348

• Insertslightlywittynamehere

October 10, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I’m going to see one of the anniversary showings, but I cant make it to the convention. I hope we also have automated texaco stations too! And if you didnt know, they’ve started making old DeLoreans too.