Comic Con 2010 – “Eye stabbing” incident

James / July 29th, 2010

Last Saturday at Comic Con, I was waiting in line with Pat the NES Punk. We were hoping to get into the Marvel panel to to learn more about the upcoming Thor and Captain America movies. The line came to a halt due to “health reasons” and then rumor spread through the line that someone had been “stabbed in the eye” over a seating argument. We really didn’t know what happened.

Afterwards, I was able to read on news sources that the victim was “scratched near the eye” and judging from the pictures I’ve seen, the man being arrested was the one wearing a Harry Potter shirt and not the other way around. Whatever the case, it was serious enough to delay the following panels. We didn’t get in. So here’s the fly-on-the moment, hot on the spot reaction from both me and Pat who recorded, edited and posted this video.

Bottom line: Comic Con has a serious crowd issue and needs to solve it for next year. I believe the Comics and Movies should be separated into two conventions for one thing, and that they should sell individual tickets for each panel, so everyone can plan their day without rushing into lines. Also, if you’re a fan coming to Comic Con, and you’re going to hurt somebody, just don’t come!

Comments

• ZeFlyGuy

July 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm

It says “Eye sabbing” on the front page. It also says it on the side of this screen: over there underneath the ad. —->

• ZeFlyGuy

July 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Under the FAR RIGHT ad.

• July 29, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Are yall going to Monster-mania in maryland. The dream warriors from nightmare on elm 3 are going to be there also Robert Englund and the actress who played Nancy . But at monster-mania 15 John Carpenter will be there that would be a cool thing for you to see.

• Splimis

July 29, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Did anyone else catch the pathetic looking fat guy mocking the NES Punk on the far left? I guess I don’t blame him, he was kind of whining. One lame guy mocking another lame guy does not make satisfactory humor.

• nerdyguy64

July 29, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Look at the asshole in the back, what a fuck-tard!!!!

• nerdyguy64

July 29, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Hey, did James ever get into Hall H?

• July 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Wow this is madness. James doesn’t look like he’s too thrilled to be there. I’m the same way. I hate standing in line and I hate mobs of people. I do want to attend SDCC at some point soon, but I don’t know how good of a time I’ll actually have. I’m definitely staying away from the biggest press conferences though that’s for sure. If all I do is walk around and hit up anything that interests me a little it might be worth it.

• Butch Bitch

July 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Nice video idea, you guys! I love how you guys did the whole hot on the spot thing! Those are always awesome.

And that ticket idea is friggin’ genius! How come we didn’t think of that?

• gamera138

July 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm

who is so uptight they’d stab/scratch someone’s eye in a long line? they need to not read any more comics ever.

• ObSoLeTe

July 29, 2010 at 11:51 pm

lol “fuck comic con”

the video could of just been that lol

oh and the dude making faces in the background, dont think we didnt sdee you : )

• bick.benedict

July 29, 2010 at 11:56 pm

this is bullshit, the video won’t go, it’s slow

• Gorgoroth

July 30, 2010 at 12:08 am

James’ Friend is not funny imo

• Butch Bitch

July 30, 2010 at 12:25 am

@Gorgoroth- It’s an old trick in the book. Get an unfunny guy to make you look even funnier, even though James is already funny on his own. It’s the same reason why hot pop singers have ugly background dancers, it makes them look even hotter.

• Analbag Thats Me

July 30, 2010 at 12:52 am

That guy who you got with you James is really obnoxious. Bring back Motherfucker Mike if you’re gonna have a sidekick! He’s funny and knowledgeable

• volt28

July 30, 2010 at 12:57 am

Poor James. Dude you just highlighted the reason why I will probably never attend a comic con. THE FUCKING LINES!!! Why can’t the plan this event better? YOu gave 2 very good ideas about what they can do to control this chaos. Serperate the different types of into there own conventions and tickets. There you go.

• starman15317

July 30, 2010 at 1:11 am

The vid isn’t playing for me

• windowlicker

July 30, 2010 at 1:31 am

Is this a “YOU KNOW WHAT’S BULLSHIT” in disguise?

It’s like you can feel their pain through the screen.

• kasper798

July 30, 2010 at 2:48 am

Great Video James. If only Comic-Con was planned a bit better in terms of the lines and the capacity of people to each panel.
    I thought u guys were pretty funny…especially after waiting that long in a queue…if that was me i probably would have lost my temper…but u guys kept it together.

• Karate Kid Icarus

July 30, 2010 at 2:53 am

Yeah James. Why don’t you do a “You know what’s Bullshit” segment?? If someone pays a $1000 to an event you should be able to go to every event. If I go to an amusement park, I should be able to ride every ride, because at an amusement park THEY DON’T OVERSELL.

That is bullshit what your going through. Everyone should be granted admittance to at LEAST 1 thing. WTF.

I am at a point that if I want Comicon info I gotta go somewhere else for footage WHICH IS ALSO BS?!? Man I want your take on the event cause we think alike…thats why i come here. Sorry to sound a little pissed but I’m pissed at Comicon, not you man.

PLEASE expose the fact that they OVERSELL, because it is SO damn blatantly obvious.

They need bigger facilities! THATS A FACT!

• Goatrider

July 30, 2010 at 2:54 am

Could someone stab that fat guy in the eye please…

• LisVender

July 30, 2010 at 4:02 am

I don’t know what’s sadder, the fanboy assholes who had a scratch fight over a seat, or the fat bearded asshole mocking Pat in the background of this video. These are GROWN MEN, and I fear for our future.

Pat the NES Punk puts up game reviews over at PlaytheNES.com. He’s pretty good, though maybe not as funny as James. If you haven’t watched his stuff, you should. It was really cool to see him and James working together.

• July 30, 2010 at 4:04 am

I wish i could see this, but no, the buffering is amazingly slow and the video keeps restarting, after 35 minutes of struggling ill just try again next month. pff.

• Vanderry

July 30, 2010 at 5:13 am

Hehe, despite the apparent nightmare you guys were going through, this was an enjoyable video 🙂 It’s always fun to see you collaborate with other interesting people and Pat is no exception. Hope they will be handing out protective eye goggles next year 😀

• Filmmassacre

July 30, 2010 at 5:37 am

I never been there before and proably never in my life becuse i live in sweden
    but it sure looks like hell in that line!
    funny ending with the knife in the eye ^^

• xdeathknightx

July 30, 2010 at 6:12 am

Have to fully agree James, just sell tickets for the big events, that way people who have one know they are getting in and those that do not know not to bother. It cuts back on some of the nerd rage plus people standing in line for hours for jack all.
    So I think tickets or bracelets is the way to go. You get a CC bracelet and a green Green Lantern bracelet if you reserved a seat there.

• M3n747

July 30, 2010 at 6:20 am

I love that fat guy lip-synching Pat. 😀

• lfgubrs

July 30, 2010 at 7:03 am

I love this videos James! I live in sweden and i have always heard about Comic-con since i many years ago, but i have never seen what its like. Thanks for these reviews i have a litte more knowledge how comic-con is like. It seems like a blast! but to be honest, as you said, WAY to many people.

And i also cant wait for the upcoming Thor, Captain America and Green Lantern films! Ive also read that after those movies has been out they are gonna do a movie i think is calles “The Avengers” with Captain America, Green Lantern, Thor, Hulk and Iron Man. Thats just gonna be awesome!!

• Christoph

July 30, 2010 at 8:01 am

James, as a lifelong San Diego resident and attendee of Comic-Con for 10 years, I feel that I must point out that what you’re suggesting would kill the con. Yes, it’s become extremely crowded and perhaps too Hollywood-centric, but Comic-Con was never JUST about comics. It has always included science fiction and fantasy works from any medium. It would be impossible to draw the line at this point and say “this can be at Comic-Con, and that can’t.” Furthermore, selling tickets for individual panels would also be a bad idea and a huge problem for poor bastards like me (unless they completely eliminated the registration cost, but that will never happen – if anything, it’s going to continue increasing). I would not pay money to go to each panel, even if I was guaranteed a seat. Yes, there are problems with the con that get worse every year, and no, I don’t know how to solve them, but what you’re suggesting would be completely unprecedented. I don’t think that Comic-Con needs to be essentially destroyed and remade.

• July 30, 2010 at 8:16 am

hahhahhaha great 😛 i wand to go there one day… but i love my eye to….

• john-n

July 30, 2010 at 8:28 am

videos streaming to slow 🙁 will check out later .

also on old AVGN videos i always try to use screwattack and you tube cos gametrailers r always slow .

• flumpis

July 30, 2010 at 8:32 am

Maybe they shouldn’t SELL tickets, but perhaps have a lottery system of some kind. It’s pretty bullshit that people have to spend so much money to even GO there and then they have to stand in line for hours and hours. In fact this just convinced me that I will never attend Comic Con unless they change things a little bit.

• July 30, 2010 at 9:49 am

Hey everyone, thanks for watching this. It looks like some of you are having buffering issues (the size of the steam was really large). To counter this, I’ve uploaded a lower quality version that should load/play a lot more smoothly. Thanks!

• Dr. Jekyll

July 30, 2010 at 10:40 am

Is it just me or does the title on the homepage say “Eye Sabbing”?

Also: Did anyone notice that guy in the back lip-talking when Pat first came on screen?

• sgtfubar

July 30, 2010 at 10:56 am

The guys in the back looked pretty proud of themselves for lip talking Pat that whole time. They were high-five’ing later in the video. lol.

• cadecool123

July 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Did anyone notice the guy in the backround making fun of Pat lol

• Squall85

July 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm

James, this is the worst flash video player I’ve ever experienced. Please lose it and use anything else but this one…

• Pete09

July 30, 2010 at 1:13 pm

who the hell brings a knife to a comic convention???

• jla1987

July 30, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I really hope that’s the last time we see Pat on this site…

As for Comic Con, it really looks like something I wouldn’t enjoy.

• DarkNeonRain

July 30, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I could see the rage in your eyes. it must have been painfull to stand in line so long, only to hear that its full. Fuck……….

• Undertaker

July 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm

they need 2 at least have a cut off point in order to avoid disappointing people like that.

• Killswitch345

July 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm

James i felt bad for you missing the thor trailer at comic con so heres a link to it on youtube this is the one played at comic con

• Joker83

July 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I COMPLETELY agree with James. Comic-Con needs to just be about Comics. It is WAY to overcrowded and not a fun place to be. There is nothing wrong with selling tickets to see the panals, that way thousands of people aren’t waisting their time in line all day, only to get turned away. Comic-Con is a mess.

Movie-Con needs to be seperate . This should be a Comic Book Convention. Not an Everything-in-the-world-that-nerds-seem-to-like Convention.

• mst3krom

July 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Oh, shit! It’s zombie Heath Ledger and this time he’s pissed!

• July 30, 2010 at 3:40 pm

The EYE-rony is that the next 2 Harry Potter movies are being released in 3D. What a tragedy for that fan.

• Kewne

July 30, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Hey, I see someone cosplayed as the Scout from Team Fortress 2!

BONK!

• AARST

July 30, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Bwahahaha. The eye stab at the end got me laughing.

• OffsetServbot

July 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Sooo… you and pate ever ganna do a crossover reveiw.

• nammm3

July 30, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I don’t think Pat is that funny… Fun video aside from that though james!

• Vixx

July 30, 2010 at 6:48 pm

OMG someone got stabbed in th…. wtf, is Pat wearing make up?

• Soundman

July 30, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I was in there when the dude was stabbed in the eye. It started out with EVERYONE in the seats near the bathrooms were standing up taking pictures, and nobody knew what was going on. Eventually it spread around that someone was attacked. At first we though someone just got decked but there was blood and stuff on the ground, then it was passed around that someone got stabbed. We weren’t sure where, but we kind of figured it was in the eye… somehow. Then the moderator for Hall H came out and said something like “We have it under control there’s nothing to see, etc etc.” And they replayed the 3D Trailer Park. You couldn’t leave if you wanted to. It was freaky.

• Soundman

July 30, 2010 at 8:26 pm

It was right after the Resident Evil panel.

• fuzzie

July 30, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Didn’t cast his patronus fast enough?

• July 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Have a fucking limited ticket system for each panel, you dumb fucks!

• NikolaTesla

July 30, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Now that is something rather amusing…
    The Angry H.P Fan…
    Hahahaha… NOw i feel i can continue my life.

• Sauss

July 30, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Nice work guys!

I personally love James final line in this video.

As for the incident….what a shameful, and stupid act.

• Jenny

July 30, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Woohoo you posted it! Crazy stuff, hope everything turned out okay. I like how you guys play off eachother.

• Lenteja

July 30, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Hahaha look at the fat guy behind Pat

• marigold23

July 30, 2010 at 10:28 pm

i don’t think this has anything to do with the guys trying to be funny. i think they were just comrades-in-misery, cutting their troubles in half by bitching about them with a buddy- and with a very sympathetic at-home audience, even if we weren’t watching yet. anyway, i bet mike’s glad he WASN’T there for all that shit.!

• Sauss

July 30, 2010 at 10:39 pm

@marigold23

agree with you. You can tell they were not in character.

• Butch Bitch

July 31, 2010 at 2:44 am

That doesn’t excuse the fact that Pat the NES Punk was annoying as hell.

• KPwagner

July 31, 2010 at 4:38 am

This video as a whole: 6/10

James’ comment at the end “fuck Comic-Con”: 10/10

I have never been to Comic-Con. After watching these videos I never want to go. One less person to back up the lines.

• Monk

July 31, 2010 at 5:49 am

This would piss me off to no end enough to stab the managers of Comic-Con in the eye. Here’s the thing, if you know the capacity of a room and you know that you cannot exceed that capacity then why in the Blue Fuck of Narnia would you allow an amount of people that would exceed that capacity to wait in line for hours? What in hell were they thinking? Seriously? That’s stupid. You HAVE this information. Turn styles today have counters. Actually that’s the point of the turn style originally. Okay.. okay (Joe Pesci style) you would still have to find a way to stop line cutters. That could be an issue, but that doesn’t stop a person from trying. I would be pissed.

• July 31, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Rofl, nice logo.

• PainisCupcake

July 31, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Wow. How sad isn’t this? Stap someone in the eye? Dude, that is sad, disturbing and stupid at the same time. I hope he’s ok. Regardless. Great video as always, James.

• HunterXero

July 31, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I was in Hall H when it happened. Just all the people basically gathered around to watch until the moderators told us all to go back to our seats. “Nothing to see here.” No pun intended.

• strint519

July 31, 2010 at 4:42 pm

LOL @ the new Comic-Con logo….how ironic. Other than that way to much standing in line.

• July 31, 2010 at 8:37 pm

wow pat you arent punk…or funny.

NES PUNX fer life-

• July 31, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I don’t like the NES Punk. He gives off a jackass vibe.

• The Shamster

August 1, 2010 at 1:10 am

I do hope that guy is ok.

I understand fully what it feels like to have an injury that close to the eye.

I had the top of my eye-lid split open by accident during sparring at kick-boxing (I was kicked in the face and their toe-nail sliced the skin open)…you could see my eyeball through the split….I was lucky it narrowly missed my eye, otherwise I could have lost my eyeball.

I needed that special glue that seals up facial injuries at the doctors.

The one who did it to me was completly appologetic…I told them it doesnt matter and that it would teach me a lesson not to drop my guard.

But in the incident you spoke of…that jerk who tried to stab the other guy deserves everything comming to him.

• Darth House

August 1, 2010 at 1:36 am

@The Shamster

Cool story bro.

• August 1, 2010 at 2:14 am

Yeah, they really need to just empty out the rooms before letting people into the next panel. It’s pretty lame.

• horth

August 1, 2010 at 2:45 am

lol at the guy behind NES punk

• Crymson

August 1, 2010 at 11:20 am

Haha.

“Don’t stabb me Bro! Too soon?”

So fucking funny. 😀

• armeetapus_16

August 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm

wow dude, you really don’t understand how comic con works. if you even intend to get into hall H you have get in that line friggin early, like around 7 or 8am. if you intend to see the later shit, get in the line at 8:30am. there is a system to how to survive comic com and see all the shit you are interested in. by the i was in hall H during the stabbing and here is what i saw: body bag on a gurney, and a burly black guy in cuffs.

• BeThor

August 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I see the whole situation very symbolic.

What are the odds that the comi-con logo is an eye and someone got stabbed right in the eye at comi-con?

Something to think about it.

• damone0181

August 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm

lol allegedly

• August 1, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Well hey he might at least get thrown in jail so one less body next year!

• August 1, 2010 at 10:54 pm

all those super heros were there and no one when to try and stop the guy

• August 2, 2010 at 12:06 am

xD All the eye jokes. “It’s like everyone’s Grandma died, at the same time… coincedentally, they were stabbed in the eye.”

Love the “take my seat, just don’t stab me” signs.

• August 2, 2010 at 7:19 am

Thats just fricking crazy. I would turn green, grow extremely large muscles and go berzerk in my pink shorts if it happened to me. Or at least stab someone in the eye.

• Kazgan

August 2, 2010 at 8:11 am

So hilarious, when you think about how fast will people bring up in mind this event, it would be like:
    – How was the logo of Comic Con look like in the 2010?
    – (wait, wasn’t it about stabbing someone in the…) EYE!.
    Kids always get too serious things, hah.

• MollyWobbles6093

August 3, 2010 at 3:04 am

The guy behind Pat is a douche lol

I read something once that said the average human being will spend ONE-THIRD of their entire LIFE waiting in line. I get the feeling that James and Pat spent one-third of their lives in lines at Comic Con 2010.

• marigold23

August 11, 2010 at 9:04 pm

i’d never heard of pat before this video and i haven’t since, save for his comment here. but i think people should lay off of him for “not being funny.” i’m pretty sure he was trying to use a little humor just to stop himself from screaming in sheer rage and frustration. one of those “if i weren’t laughing my ass off, i’d be crying my eyes out” kind of things. you’d all think i was a fucking lunatic if you heard my god-awful jokes that i’ve made when trying not to bawl, shriek, or throttle someone. and i bet we’ve all been there, too. stupid humor, or even “humor,” helps sometimes. be nice.

• TheShadowRealm

August 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I was in hall H for green lantern and harry potter, but I could not stay till cap america and thor because I would’ve been waiting in that room for 6 hours. I really just wanted to see Green Lantern, but my friends went to stand in line at 2:30 am and I met up with them at like 6:00 am, it’s retarded how much time you have to dedicate to lines at comic con, but some how its still fun to be there

• September 27, 2010 at 1:51 am

This special report it’s really great !! Been stab in the eye it most hurt like hell. + It most be something really hard to do >//<

• October 6, 2010 at 7:25 am

comic con just seems like a big fucking rip off. All I can think of is cartman from the season 5 CARTMANLAND episode, “all the lines lines lines!”

• phoenix252005

October 11, 2010 at 9:54 am

Fuck Comic-con! Yeah James,Yeah!! Long Live the Nerd..and the Punk!!

• walkingstickman

October 30, 2010 at 6:37 pm

“The room has reached full capacity”

AAAASSSSSSSS!!

• Grapetoast

March 1, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Dis anyone see the dude in the back?
    Mocking pat

• kiteflyer

May 31, 2011 at 8:11 am

There’s a retarded garden gnome mocking Pat.

• LicaWolf

October 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm

What’s up with the guy mocking Pat in the background? xD lol

I still want to go to Comic-Con someday, I just hope they solve the crowd and eye-stabbing issues 😛