Ray Harryhausen / Chuck Jones exhibit

James / June 19th, 2010

Even more exciting than E3, for me personally, was the Ray Harryhausen and Chuck Jones exhibit! It’s in Beverly Hills, so I had to check it out while staying in the area.

RAY HARRYHAUSEN

He was the stop-motion special FX artist who created all the wondrous mythical creatures seen in classic science fiction movies like “It Came From Beneath the Sea”, fantasy/ adventure/ movies like “Clash of the Titans” (the original!) and dinosaur movies like “The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms”. These are the kind of movies that make you feel like a child again.

Now many of his original models, sketches and storyboards are on display until August 22. If you’re even slightly a fan of his work, I highly recommend you go take a look if you can. The Medusa and Kraken from “Clash of the Titans”, the Skeleton army and The Hydra from “Jason and the Argonauts”, the flying saucers from “Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers”, the T-Rex from “Valley of Gwangi”, the cyclops armature from “The 7th Voyage of Sinbad”… it goes on and on. Seeing them in-person was unreal! Watching the movies, you don’t fully realize the amount of detail on these models.

Seeing all the sketches and diagrams totally immerses you into the filmmaking experience and helps you to greater appreciate the effort and creativity that went into making these films and what a genius Harryhausen really was! I’ve been a fan of his work since the age of 13-ish, but this exhibit enlightened me further.

CHUCK JONES

Already overwhelmed, it came as a great bonus to find that there was an exhibit of animator Chuck Jones’ work too! Sketches of such iconic characters as Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck are there. There’s even a colored cell of The Grinch, my favorite Christmas cartoon. Watching it is a tradition every year. What privilege was it to gaze at a sketch of Little Cindy Lou Who. Also, there were sketches of the Road Runner and Coyote. Amazing. There was a cell of the desert background, one of the most recognizable backgrounds in animation history.

Unfortunately, photography is not allowed. So I don’t have anything to show. Stop by if you’re anywhere in the Los Angeles area.

The best part about it is that it is free of charge! How could you beat that? Here’s more info:

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
8949 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, California 90211

Tuesday – Friday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday: Noon to 6 p.m.
(Like most art galleries, it’s closed on Mondays)
Until August 22, 2010.

FREE!

There’s another Harryhausen exhibit coming up in London to be officially opened by Ray Harryhausen on June 29th, his 90th birthday. I’m not sure how this exhibit differs. Anyone going to that, let me know how it is.

29th June through June 2011
The London Film Museum
County Hall
Riverside Building
next to London Eye
South Bank, London SE1

Comments

• theman

June 19, 2010 at 10:24 am

Sounds awesome, tough i dont really know who is Chuck Jones and Harryhausen. But if you have been a fan of harryhausen from when you were child, must feel really cool.

• A_ninja

June 19, 2010 at 10:30 am

Meep Meep

cool

• MorePAIN

June 19, 2010 at 10:33 am

they are genius’ just like you James

• thethirdman

June 19, 2010 at 10:34 am

sucks to live in Denmark when hearing of this.

• Butch Bitch

June 19, 2010 at 10:46 am

Wow James, you are SO lucky to see that! Too bad i’m in fucking Florida! “Jason and the Argonauts” is a REALLY great movie, which I learned about thanks to you.

And Chuck Jones is an amazing artist! Looney Tunes is one of my favorite cartoons, a childhood favorite of mine. The Grinch is really good too, a classic!

• MonkMovies

June 19, 2010 at 11:07 am

please tell me did you see Ymir, him fighting the elephant in the movie: 20 million miles to earth is what I consider a masterpiece of filmmaking!

• June 19, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Cool stuff, James. Sorry to say, but I thought Ray died back in the late 80s or early 90s. I never knew he was still amongst the living. Glad you got a chance to see that museum. Don’t know if it was around in 2007 when I was there for a week in 2007 with my band recording our debut album. By the way have you listened to my band, Dead Bang Go’s music yet? Have you made a choice in who’s music you’re going to use yet for your 300 project.

• SatanIsSmiling

June 19, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Ray Harryhausen is the man! I wish I could see all that, the Chuck Jones stuff looks pretty cool too.

• Patient_zero

June 19, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Hey James,

Thanks for giving me the heads up on the London Harryhausen Exhibit, I’m an animator myself so it would be awesome to see this!

If I end up going, would you want me to shoot some photos for you?

• June 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I think I read that they tried to pull him (Harryhausen) out of retirement to work as a consultant on the new Clash of the Titans… I believe he declined the offer.

• Gavie

June 19, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I’m a huge fan of Harryhausens work, and didn’t know about the exhibition in London. I will go to London this summer, and I will definately check it out (not the opening though 🙁 ) Thanks for letting me know!!

• June 19, 2010 at 4:51 pm

If you guys want to watch a really old but beautiful animated movie check out “Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed.”

• June 19, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Dude! Im a hardcore Fan Of Ray i Have all his 15 movies and i’m going to trip to London, i’m will go to the exhibition, but i didn’t know he is going to be there! THAT’S FUCKING AMAZING!!! I’M SO EXCITED!!!

• June 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Don’t worry James I will tell you all the Details from The Harryhausen Exhibition!

By The Way When You Have Some Extra Time You Should Make a Harryhausen-A-Thon! Please!

That Would Be Awesome!

• evilweevil666

June 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm

chuck jones is the nuts.,you lucky man james, i also fukn love the skeleton fight in clash of the titans ( not new one) them skeletons scared the shit out of me as a kid, the way they moved. Im gonna go to the london one as i live 20 mins away sweet.

• evilweevil666

June 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm

just read the comment on harryhausen-a-thon, i second that.

• toiletfarm

June 19, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Did someone just say they don’t know who Chuch Jones is?

• June 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm

@toiletfam: Only you. Oh and it’s Chuck no Chuch.

• June 19, 2010 at 7:40 pm

HARRYHAUSEN-A-THON!

• lartrak2

June 19, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, Harryhausen came to my college for a presentation of Jason and the Argonauts, along with a Q&A and book signing of his newest book. It was a great experience, and Harryhausen seemed to be in great shape for his age (a little difficulty hearing, but mentally he could have passed for a man 15 years younger).

Glad you got to see some of his stuff. The only piece of his history he brought with him was one of the stop motion skeleton puppets (tiny thing, but seeing it was real cool anyway).

• rossbosstx

June 19, 2010 at 7:50 pm

i remember as a kid with my genisis buddy watching jason and the argunots and cracking up at the skeletons,cuz we were acting like they were drunk,they partied so hard they were losing there heads. come on at 14 before you actully can drink beer ,alcohol is funny.

• nerdyguy64

June 19, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Nice James, To bad no photos! And what is it with people in writing fucking books on your website!

• bacondude1985

June 20, 2010 at 1:04 am

That’s right down the street from my house, and I totally would have never known about it but for your posting this James. I’m definitely gonna check it out. Thanks!!!

• Tempest

June 20, 2010 at 1:16 am

Soooo jealous, James. I’m a huge fan of both of their work. Not only did you get to be at an amazing E3, you got to see some awesome exhibits. Must’ve been fun!

• Srceodizno

June 20, 2010 at 5:45 am

Wow sounds cool. It would be awesome to check these museums out. Thanks for the info James

• coogs41

June 20, 2010 at 6:04 am

I really want to go to that London Film Museum exhibit. I would recommend that you Nerd go to that museum. It has loads of film props like the Alien Queen from Aliens and a Terminator head from The Terminator but also has scripts from films like Shaun of the Dead and An American Werewolf in London. Definitely recommend you check that museum out

• June 20, 2010 at 7:36 am

That’s epic. “Jason and the Argonauts” is a personal favourite.

• June 20, 2010 at 7:38 am

I am going to the London one, cannot wait!

• Prizm

June 20, 2010 at 8:30 am

Interesting.

I’m hanging out for Jason and the Argonauts on bluray in July. Haven’t seen it in years and it’ll be great to see those skeletons in high def.

I’ve also got the six Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVD sets, packed with all sorts of looney extras on chuck jones and those guys. Many Looney Tunes really are clever and well edited. Some of the gags still make me laugh out loud.

• June 20, 2010 at 11:22 am

Wow that exhibit sounds awesome! Especially the Chuck Jones! The Grinch is tied for my favorite Christmas movie of all time as well!

• Rice

June 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

O MAN!! I Really wish I can visit there. Unfortunately I can’t. James it will be great if you can do a video / takes pictures/ and talk about this gallery. THANKS!!

• RevolverOcelot007

June 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I would love to go and see that. Thanks for the addresses.

• xXArch NemesisXx

June 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

ah looney toons, i had been watching them since 2 years old, also the age when i started video game on the NES. My dad likes to collect and watch alot of movies so I also have seen j and a at a young age to, im into mythoelogy kinda stuff too. If you havnt played it already, i recommend trying god of war if you like myth based games.

• toiletfarm

June 20, 2010 at 6:57 pm

@TwistedSpeech Thanks for the correction, but I didn’t say I never heard of him. The first comment says they don’t know who he is.

• June 20, 2010 at 9:02 pm

@thetoiletfarm: Hmm. I guess I read the comment wrong. Silly me. Sorry about that. Maybe they’re from another country and that’s why they have not heard of Chuck or Ray. That or they’re from the XY generation of which they grew up not seeing Chuck’s work as the Y, the X and generations before that saw them on the weekends all the time. I grew up on Ray’s movies. I think I had to watch some of his movies for school projects if I remember right. Ah, what it was being a kid in the late 80s and early 90s.

• Bamahut

June 20, 2010 at 11:13 pm

This exhibit looks very interesting, I would got check it out if I didn’t had to cross an ocean to go see it! I hope you got some videos to let us check it out from overseas!!!

• nammm3

June 21, 2010 at 2:38 am

AWESOME!! i live in texas and i’m taking summer school ay univ. texas tech

• creecreehoneybee

June 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Chuck Jones has always been a BIG influence on my artwork. Him, and John Krikfalusi (Creator of Ren & Stimpy).

• Dr. Dib

June 27, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Argh, I wish I had seen this sooner. I was just in LA and would have loved to see it. Ah well, I guess I still had a good time regardless.

• July 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I checked out the exhibition on Saturday in London and it was very good. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take any pictures, but the content was very cool. In addition to that, they did have a lot of cool stuff from other movies which was quite awesome, especially the money from Total Recall.

• July 6, 2010 at 2:57 am

anyone else thinking that ray is most likly not going to make it to 90?
    i mean it would be a privlage to go and see him and i probably will but i have only seen at least 1 person all my life out of around 20 that have made it past 20. so thats about a 5% chance of him living that long.
    but again this is how i see this

• Trueno102

July 20, 2010 at 3:18 am

Thanks for telling us about this great exhibit, i went there and was blown away by how much work went into these models,
    I found a video walk through of the London Museum heres the link,

• May 9, 2013 at 12:43 am

Very sad that Ray Harryhausen has past away. The fans and supporters of his work and stop motion animation will miss him very much! I just pulled my Earth VS. The Flying Saucers dvd off of the shelf and am about to watch it. Rest in peace Raymond Frederick “Ray” Harryhausen (June 29, 1920 – May 7, 2013)