Wizard World convention

James / June 12th, 2010

Just got back from Wizard World in Philadelphia. Got a picture with Ernie Hudson. Once in a lifetime chance to meet one of the Ghostbusters! He was really cool.

Events I saw:

BRUCE CAMPBELL Q&A

Funny as usual. He made fun of fans’ Evil Dead tattoos, gathered them all up on stage and had a contest. He told of how it’s a nightmare working with Sam Raimi and that anything he works on, chances are, he’ll have some kind of “stupid” cameo. But then went on to brag how empowering his cameos were in the Spiderman movies. In the first movie, he names Spiderman, in the second, he stops him from entering a building and in the third, he gives him advice. He finished by thanking the fans for supporting “alternative” cinema, because we need little independent movies as well as the 200 million dollar Transformer “piece of shit” franchises. Very true. Always entertaining is Bruce.

After catching the tail end of John de Lancie’s Q&A, (“Q” from Star Trek: The Next Generation) I made it in time for:

BRENT SPINER Q&A

Funny and pleasant. Not intimidating like Bruce. Responding to many different questions about playing Data (Star Trek: TNG), he made it pretty clear that he’s done with the character. After appearing in a whole TV series and 4 feature films, he’s “satisfied” and happy with what he’s done for the role. Someone asked him about doing a prequel as Data. His response was “Look at me!” (in other words: unless he can reverse-age.) In episodes where he played multiple roles, such as Descent, he said he was glad to work with his favorite actor. (Himself) When asked if he had any advice for actors trying to make it in the business, he said that unless you feel like you have to, then don’t.

ADAM WEST Q&A

Hilarious as always. A bragfest about how he IS Batman. Even when asked if had a favorite actor who played Batman, other than himself, he said he hated all of them. He also mentioned how much of a pleasure it was to work with so many great actors like Burgess Meredith and Frank Gorshin. Questions came in from all across the board, about many non-Batman roles too. At one point, it got stuck in a Family Guy rut where everyone was just quoting lines from the show. That got kind of tiresome, but West had fun with it, laughing the whole time. Being in his presence is always a joy. He seemed to be holding back on some big secret and dropped a few hints that he will be involved in “something Batman” in the future.

Well that’s all I can report. Next stop, Los Angeles for E3. When I get back, a week from now, I’ll post my little personal film “The Dragon in my Dreams” the 21st, and the next Spike video is ready and tentatively scheduled for the 25th. After E3, I still have yet about 4 more conventions lined up in June/July. So I’m really wiped out. I’m hoping to get some work done on the next AVGN video at 30,000 feet up in the air, and in hotel rooms.

Comments

• Jimfuruncle

June 12, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Bruce Campbell rulz !

• Jimfuruncle

June 12, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Did he talk about an EvilDead 4?

• nerdyguy64

June 12, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Very Nice James!

• leon

June 12, 2010 at 7:47 pm

The world NEEDS Evil Dead 4!!!

• conundrumbombs

June 12, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I love this job more than I love taffy, and I’m a man who loves his taffy.

• theman

June 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Allright james, take your time with all your work you have coming. No stress, be cool x).

• theman

June 12, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Its nice that you want to share different stuff from different events with us where you have been, where we others who live in different countries (such as my self, i live in finland) never probably get a chance to go in to . I also wanna se Ernie Hudson xD

• Cory Power

June 12, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Kinda funny that you both go to conventions as a fan and other conventions as an attraction. Any people recognize you?

• June 12, 2010 at 8:42 pm

So we’re taking AVGN on the road for the next episode? Well that should be a neat trip for us all to watch. Glad you got to meet Ernie Hudson. I always heard he was a nice guy. Did you ask him about a possible Ghostbusters 3? Well be safe on your travels to E3 and beyond.

• ventanger

June 12, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Seriously? An extended quote-a-thon of Mayor Adam West lines? Yikes… Family Guy fans are obnoxious.

• Blinky

June 12, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I really hope Adam West is seen carrying that bomb over his head again. I wouldn’t want to see it only for the hilarity and nostalgic purpose for the fans. I would only want a similar scene because of what memories could be floating through his head and coming out onto his expression. You’d be able to see why this man is considered a legend and what it truly means to him. What makes the fact that he might be doing another film awesome-him doing what he loved again.

• Butch Bitch

June 12, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Wow James,you’re booked solid for the summer!If only I had THAT much to do on my own time.But yes,that IS exhausting!

It’s very cool that you met Bruce Campbell,guy is a fucking legend.Wonder what Adam West was referring to about the Batman project…

I hope that you share with us what happens at these conventions,you and your crazy ass shenanigans is always interesting!

Can’t wait for the new video releases!

• EDGE

June 12, 2010 at 9:52 pm

awesome dude, I really wish I went to the adam west Q & A

• big T

June 12, 2010 at 10:01 pm

God damnit I was there all day i Can’t believe i didn’t run into james it would of been cool to say hi.

• June 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm

I bet West can do a cameo in the next Batman movie as either an old rich man or the new Gotham mayor! Either way, the Adam West-Batman 3 cameo will be the fans’ dream come true! I gotta start watching the 60s series!

Only saw Evil Dead 1, but I hope to get into the sequels someday! Those different Campbell cameos in the Spider-Man trilogy are some of the most memorable moments in the film trilogy!

• Mr.Sewj

June 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm

hey james, if your gonna be working stuck in hotels and shit for the next month, then why dont you make the next avgn video about the shitty games they make you pay like 10 bucks for a half hour of play time that they have in hotels. you know, the ones with the almost always broken n64 controller that maybe have 2 decent games out of 30? yea, that stupid shit

• jedidude

June 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm

hey james it’s awsome that you got to see four legends in one day. also i think i speak for everyone when i say thanks for telling all your fans about the cool (yet tiring) things you get to do. not many people do that anymore.

• You Can Just Walk Over It

June 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm

“So weโ€™re taking AVGN on the road for the next episode? Well that should be a neat trip for us all to watch.”

The whole point of saying “I’ll try to work on AVGN while I’m flying” is to let people know that this and next month are extremely busy with random conventions and stuff outside of his usual AVGN duties that he’ll try his best to be creative and squeeze in extra time brainstorming a script for the next episode, not actually filming the next episode while he’s in a damn airplane or whatever ๐Ÿ˜›

• June 13, 2010 at 12:19 am

Why didn’t I know that was happening?
    It seems I’ve really lost touch with everything. :U

• WillWill

June 13, 2010 at 12:28 am

Fucking awesome! I so wish I had little to no self-awareness, and I’d go to a nerd convention. But, I do, so I won’t… Thanks for the cool info!

• bick.benedict

June 13, 2010 at 12:37 am

Cool James. Do you make enough money off of your celebrity to live? I was just curious. I’m glad you’re putting yourself out there so to speak while the rest of us lazy shits sit back and watch. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kurt 94

June 13, 2010 at 12:40 am

Awesome!!! I wish conventions like that would come to Denver.

• Hadamar

June 13, 2010 at 1:20 am

Brent Spiner… argh that men is epic ๐Ÿ™‚

• Karate Kid Icarus

June 13, 2010 at 2:06 am

Hey man,

I don’t wanna sound like a fuckn nut job or something but why dont you put up a calendar or schedule of which conventions your going to be at? Or are you going as a patron as opposed to being a guest at the event?

If your a patron like us…yeah don’t bother lol, everyone needs to live a little.

• June 13, 2010 at 4:51 am

awesome james!

• the_phasmid

June 13, 2010 at 6:21 am

Hi James, thought I would post and say I agree! He is very cool! Met him in Milton Keynes, UK at Collectormania a few years ago.
    Did he put any quotes on your auto?
    Regards,
    the_phasmid

• Srceodizno

June 13, 2010 at 6:23 am

Man, Jame sis the luckiest guy in the world. I would kill to meet people like this. It’s been my dream to meet some of my favourite actors before I die but the sad thing is, is that all of my favourite actors are either dieing off or getting older. ๐Ÿ™ James you’re the luckiest guy in the world.

• guilhugas

June 13, 2010 at 6:39 am

I can’t wait for cinemassacre 300. You are constantly pumping out goodness xD

• Macphisto

June 13, 2010 at 8:46 am

Did Ernie recognize you? He talked about your Ghostbusters review, on how heยดs not in any of the games, I think it was on Good Morning America.

• organized

June 13, 2010 at 9:27 am

James you should come to Gencon in August. It’s the most spectacular gaming convention in the world.

• June 13, 2010 at 9:41 am

I was there too James. It was a lot of fun. The washed up wrestlers need to be replaced by some more B celebs. I looked up to some of these guys as a kid and I just realized how douchey they are as wash-ups. Wheres the wrestling retirement home anyway? Ernie Hudson was awesome and I couldn’t believe that Jake Busey had a sign up that read: $100.00 to have a drink with Jake Busey at 9pm at some bar downtown. Reality really sets in after one of these conventions. Still had tons of fun and a lot of free swag was given out. Great networking event as well. I’m kind of bummed that I didn’t catch you there. I would’ve said hi.

• Angus

June 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm

There you have it…confirmation that Adam West will be a part of Batman: Arkham Asylum 2. If he is being secretive, and confirms that he’ll be a part of something Batman related coming soon, I can guarantee he’ll be in Arkham 2.

That or he’ll cameo in Batman 3.

• xXArch NemesisXx

June 13, 2010 at 3:16 pm

very interesting, i have never had the pleasure of attending one of the many conventions and festivals. (Plans for the future)

• goncalo2kit

June 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm

• doomedhuh

June 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm

who do you think is a bigger celeb at this point?

ernie hudson or the nerd?

• June 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Fantastic write-up! Lots of my personal heroes in there. Including James ๐Ÿ™‚

• drev

June 13, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Ernie looks cool and ready to wear all his gear for the third GostBuster movie.

• YakkoWarner14

June 13, 2010 at 5:13 pm

You are so lucky! Ernie Hudson! Wow!

• June 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Nice!!
    Check out this “GHOSTBUSTER FAN FILM” that I made!!!

• June 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm

The GHOSTBUSTERS have a horrible twist of fate in it!!!

• allanf

June 13, 2010 at 6:46 pm

GO TO DRAGON CON!!

In Atlanta, every Labor Day weekend!!

• Dolly Dagger

June 13, 2010 at 6:49 pm

You saw Bruce? *jealousy ensues*

Sucks that you missed John de Lancie…he seems like he would be a blast.

• June 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm

i am so jealous you got to see brent spiner!

• rockman99

June 13, 2010 at 9:55 pm

If you’re in the chicago area in august, comicon will be hosting william shatner.

• June 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Intimidating is definitely the right word to describe Bruce Campbell’s Q&A style. I saw him at a Fangoria con, and when one the questioners kept stumbling his queation, Bruce imitated Porky Pig and was like “A, bah-dee, ah bah-dee, a-bdee, that’s all, Folks” and didn’t let him finish. Still, very funny, and a very fast talker at times.

• June 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Sounds like a good time! Getting to meet Ernie must’ have been awesome. Have fun in LA

• drivenbyfate

June 14, 2010 at 1:15 am

Bruce Campbell is a really funny guy in person. He used to go into my mom’s restaurant a lot when he lived in Southern Oregon and he was always a cool guy to talk to.

• JJMOOMA

June 14, 2010 at 2:47 am

I declare James Rolfe one of the most influential people of our time.

• June 14, 2010 at 5:05 am

Aaargh! I’m so jealous that you get to meet Ernie Hudson, with the Ghostbusters suit I might add.

• mreaturbrains

June 14, 2010 at 10:55 am

hey James you should do a retrospective on the Pokemon series it was some of the best gaming for hand held platforms and is a valued part of many of our childhoods

• Soulman706

June 14, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Lol that would be epic. Or she could make her own show. The AVGNerdette or something like that.

• alskie

June 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm

shit i knew i shoulda went Ernie was the only reason i wanted to go.. Didnt go cause all my friends are gay and i didnt wanna go alone.. hope you had a good time though ..Hopefully see ya next year

• JayRam

June 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm

“thewifeofjamesrolfe” isn’t actually the wife of James. I think he addressed this last year in a comment section of one of his videos. She’s just some obsessed fan.

@James: That’s cool you met Ernie and saw Bruce. Cool cats, they are.

• KarliMeaghan

June 14, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I got to meet Brent at a convention a few years ago, he really is the nicest man, especially considering he’s been doing these conventions for years now. It’d be understandable if he was a little sick and tired of them by now, but he still manages to be charming and hilarious and kind to his fans.

Looking forward to the next AVGN video!

• daggereye

June 14, 2010 at 9:18 pm

You should really really really get someone to edit your videos and post news and read your e-mails, Im sure there’s a fan out there that would do it really cheap, you can’t do it alone dude you will die from all the stress….

• spyghostdj

June 14, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Wish I saw you there James. I was there of course I was there early like 8 in the morning. What time did you get there? I would have liked to talk to you. I don’t know if you looked around but some people we’re selling video games for the Atari and Nintendo. Of course I have one game you may not have in your collection that I want to see you rip into. Sunsoft Superman.
    have fun at E3 ๐Ÿ™‚

• simby23

June 15, 2010 at 12:16 am

your so lucky

• June 15, 2010 at 8:24 am

It’s awesome that you got to meet, and take a picture with Ernie Hudson James! What did you guys say to each other?
    You should have asked him his feelings about being left out of the NES game ๐Ÿ˜‰

• kieranfallon

June 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

Dammit you were there!!! I had my Vol 1 Nerd DVD on me just in case but I guess I missed you that day.

• cloob1

June 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Somebody deleted James’ wife’s and my comments?! Have you seen Kyle? He’s this tall, seen Kyle?

• June 15, 2010 at 11:53 pm

That’s pretty cool too. I was able to volunteer at my cities comicon and I also got to meet Brent Spiner, wit the addition of Leonard Nemoy, Billy Dee Williams, Malcolm McDowell, Erin Grey, and Sid Heig.

• heyyahblah

June 16, 2010 at 1:51 am

HEY JAMES (AVGN)

I wanted to go to the one in Philly because I have cousins that live that but I wasn’t able to attend because of other engagements.

However I did make it to the one in March in Toronto, CANADA (where I live) and I met Ernie Hudson as well, except his hair was longer and he wasnt wearing the uniform. Guess he saved his head. lol.

heres the pic.
    ttyl

• June 16, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I was jealous of you before, but this takes the cake. You got to see my two favorite actors/characters from Star Trek: The Next Generation. AND Ernie Hudson and Adam West. I’ve met Bruce Campbell at his last book tour so I’m even w/you on that. He’s such a smart-ass at his Q&As. I went w/my brother-in-law and he asked Bruce if there were plans to make anymore Evil Dead video games and Bruce said “Yeah I’ll call THQ to personally make one just for you and hand-deliver it to your house.” and while we were waiting in line he was walking by and I called out to him and held out my hand & he went to shake it then pulled back going “PSYCH!”
    But I’d give my left tit to meet Brent Spiner. Data was always my favorite character on TNG and Brent is such a versatile actor. Not only could you see that when he also played Lore and Dr Soong but in everything he’s done. While a lot of people say he’s wicked nice in person I’ve heard a few people say he was distant – probably just in a bad mood or not feeling well those times. I think he’s sick of people asking him to reprise Data – he was done w/the character back when Star Trek: Nemesis was made and he knows he’s too old now and he has no desire to do it as a voice-over either. A lot of the fans can’t look past Data and see Brent for all his other talents and I think when people come up to him and are like DATADATADATADATA it turns him off, but when they treat him like a person he’s more receptive. The only Star Trek people I’ve gotten to meet is Robert Piacardo and Ethan Phillips from Voyager and they were really cool, but TNG was always my favorite series and I would kill to meet Brent or Patrick Stewart. Or even John DeLancie, for Q was my 2nd favorite character

• June 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Awesome, I hope some day when I get my shit together I can go to some of these conventions and see some of my favorite actors before they die. lol

• June 17, 2010 at 2:21 am

@You Can Just Walk Over It:
    says:
    June 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm
    โ€œSo weโ€™re taking AVGN on the road for the next episode? Well that should be a neat trip for us all to watch.โ€

The whole point of saying โ€œIโ€™ll try to work on AVGN while Iโ€™m flyingโ€ is to let people know that this and next month are extremely busy with random conventions and stuff outside of his usual AVGN duties that heโ€™ll try his best to be creative and squeeze in extra time brainstorming a script for the next episode, not actually filming the next episode while heโ€™s in a damn airplane or whatever

E3 bitch! Eat shit! You need to learn to read what James posted instead of talking shit to other fans. He obviously took the Nerd on the road or he wouldn’t have posted a video, so cram it fuckwad! : )

• June 20, 2010 at 7:09 am

My Name is Bruce sucked in my opinion. Way cool that you got to meet Ernie Hudson!

• June 22, 2010 at 12:30 am

Man, I was there too. I wish I would have seen you

• amberdarko86

July 1, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Very cool…I get to meet Ernie Hudson next weekend at Famous Monsters of Filmland in Indy. Can’t wait!

• Migz13

July 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

nice:D Adam West, Ernie Hudson and Bruce Campbell
    They all had a part in making my childhood a more imaginative place to be in..

• El_Ray