Ronnie James Dio dies at 67

James / May 16th, 2010

I don’t mean to sound like an obituary, but I was so saddened by the news I had to share the word. Ronnie James Dio (of Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath and the Dio band) has been fighting stomach cancer for a while now and died today. He was one of the greatest vocalists & song-writers in heavy metal. It was a pleasure to have seen him on tour in recent years and to hear one last album with fellow Black Sabbath bandmates “The Devil You Know” (2009).  He will be missed, but his magic will live on.

Here is the statement from Wendy Dio

“Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever.”

the Facebook page

Comments

• scback

May 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Sad news for sure. For me, Ozzy will always be the voice of Black Sabbath but Dio definitely had some great songs. He will be missed.

• bergAgreb

May 16, 2010 at 7:26 pm

REST IN PEACE DIO !

• May 16, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I thought Edward Douglas (of ComingSoon.net) was just kidding when he commented it on Twitter, but I guess the news today is tragic but true!

I always liked him when he talks about anything metal on VH1! Did you know he originated the devil horns that to this day metal fans has always throwin in the air? He says he made it after his grandmother’s version of the evil eye! Let’s all throw our devil horns in his memory!

• May 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Say it isn’t so! You will be missed deeply, Holy Diver. Ronald James “Dio” Padavona; (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010). R.I.P, Mr. Dio.

• deathx88

May 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm

dio will live on forever in his music

i’m gonna drink beers and listen to his music for the rest of the week..

i’m listening to some rainbow right now.

• May 16, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Rest in peace Dio, you will be missed.

• May 16, 2010 at 7:40 pm

@deathx88: I wish I had some brew around to drink, but I am completely tapped out. I will however listen to Mr. Dio’s music for the rest of today and probably till his funeral. Listening to the Elf LP he played bass and sang on right now and will work my way up through his career.

• Hugleikur

May 16, 2010 at 8:13 pm

R.I.P Dio

• May 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I can’t belive it, We have truly lost a legend in Rock history!
    R.I.P. Dio!!!
    Ride the Tiger!

• ranto1

May 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Very sad news.. His legend will live on in his awesome music! RIP Dio!

• Mjr Milk Shake

May 16, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Ronnie James Dio was a god amungst men his music brought joy to us all and he shall be missed R.I.P. RJD

• RevolverOcelot007

May 16, 2010 at 9:28 pm

This is a sad news but at least it was peaceful and everyone got to say they’re goodbyes. Thats the way to go.
    God bless his family and may he rest in peace.

• Gioray

May 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm

R.I.P. Dio

• PaulRikkyTalbot

May 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Even gods die
    R.I.P Dio
    You will live forever by your music

• Infamous

May 16, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I never really knew who he was, but I did see him on an episode of South Park a few years back. Regaurdless, I’m saddened for the loss.

• illusiveShadow

May 16, 2010 at 10:25 pm

The rivers run silent, the wind blows softly, and the mountains bow down. A king has closed his eyes, and sleep in peace he shall. Rest in peace Dio, you will not be forgotton.

• maidenhead311

May 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I was wondering if you were going to do one of these, I’m really glad you did. Like you I was a massive Dio fan. I saw him once on the Metal Masters and even at his age he owned the stage and had so much fun doing what he was doing. I’ve been on the verge of tears all night. Dio was the god of metal and it’s heartbreaking to see him go. My thoughts go out to Wendy and the rest of his friends and family.

R.I.P. Dio

• BlackInMind

May 16, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Today has been a very sad day for me as well. The entire metal/hard rock world feels a loss of a talent that will probably never be matched. He helped shape the genre of heavy metal as we know it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, James.

RIP Ronnie

• poisontongue

May 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm

You’re not the only one. I just read it about an hour or two ago when I got home and I was shocked.

Terrible loss. Double devil horns for Dio, RIP brother.

• Tangent

May 16, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Looks like the torch is passed to the D now.

It’s a terrible loss, and at 67 he wasn’t even very old. But, while the body doesn’t last forever, his music will, and 100 years from now people will remember him as such.

And, if there is a hell, Satan’s probably rocking out with him right now with the return of his prodigal son.

• jasondixon360

May 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm

That sucks that he is gone, he was one of the best Heavy Metal icons out there in the world, i think he deserves a better tribute than Michael Jackson does!

• May 17, 2010 at 12:00 am

RIP Dio. Your work here is done and you will be missed. Everyone will remember him for his work in music. He was a icon in metal.

• ZombiePaul

May 17, 2010 at 12:18 am

Rock on Dio.

• May 17, 2010 at 1:08 am

RIP Dio,one of the fathers of metal \m/ \m/

• xdeathknightx

May 17, 2010 at 2:20 am

I am saddened by this news. He was one of the last great metal/rock frontmen, had one hell of a voice even when he was older and was a true gentleman. He will be missed, may you rest in peace Dio.

• TheOzcarSound

May 17, 2010 at 2:45 am

James… I read this at a web newspaper and I immediately thought of you.
    I have to admit that I am no big Sabbath fan but I knew you were..e

• sin

May 17, 2010 at 2:54 am

It sucks man, it seems like rock and roll is dying.

• Jono619

May 17, 2010 at 3:23 am

Damn man I am a huge metal fan and Holy Diver is one of my favorite songs, this is a huge blow for the metal scene

• May 17, 2010 at 3:32 am

Sad news… RIP Ronnie James Dio

• ObSoLeTe

May 17, 2010 at 4:16 am

A truly sad day for the metal world : (

R.I.P DIO

• May 17, 2010 at 4:58 am

R.I.P. Dio

• May 17, 2010 at 5:31 am

R.I.P Ronnie you were a great man and you changed the coures of music in mine,body,and soul

• May 17, 2010 at 5:32 am

also R.I.P DIO

• May 17, 2010 at 5:53 am

It was kinda weird how this happened, too. The day before he was just rumoured to be dead, his wife made a statement that he was still alive, then a day later he dies. Man, there were a lot of confused people out there.

Anyway, my condolences.

• Scy

May 17, 2010 at 6:05 am

RIP \m/

There’s no sign of the morning coming
    You’ve been left on your own
    Like a Rainbow in the Dark

• kabalzerO

May 17, 2010 at 6:15 am

may the gods of Metal carry you for eternity.
    now you are dead but your Voice will live forever!

R.i.P DiO

• Butch Bitch

May 17, 2010 at 6:35 am

R.I.P Dio.I’m not TOO familiar with his work,but he was undeniably a great vocalist.

I first found out from my dad’s friend on a Facebook post and looked it up to see if it was true 🙁

LONG LIVE DIO!

• May 17, 2010 at 6:40 am

so sad…thanks for the devil horns,bro..and thanks for opening the gates of metal for some of us….

• Kaizer

May 17, 2010 at 7:05 am

🙁
    I was gonna to see him this summer at Sonisphere (Sweden) :'(

R.I.P Ronnie James Dio

• Kryptt

May 17, 2010 at 7:06 am

It’ saddens me that i have never gotten to see him live.

• May 17, 2010 at 9:21 am

Dio has rocked for a long, long time, Now it’s time for him to pass the torch. He has songs of wild beasts and angels, He has soared on the wings of a demon.

• PeoplePlayGames

May 17, 2010 at 9:40 am

No nit Dio! … Dio can you hear me I am lost and so alone, i am in need oof your guidance will you come down from your throne, I need a tight campadre to teach me how to rock, my father thinks your evil but man he can suck a co**.

Dio Live On.
    At least we have Tenacious D.

• CenobiteKosor

May 17, 2010 at 10:05 am

Dio, King Of Rock ‘N’ Roll, your Sacred Heart has been Hungry For Heaven, but you were always The Last In Line, and now that All The Fools Sailed Away, go, sleep and Dream Evil because your Rock ‘N’ Roll Children will Stand Up And Shout WE ROCK!!! R.I.P. you will always be our Rainbow In The Dark \m/

• Nightmare19

May 17, 2010 at 10:21 am

I can’t believe he is gone. My heart skipped a couple of beats when i heard the news. He was amazing, just fucking amazing !

• Unrefined

May 17, 2010 at 10:39 am

I hear ya James, it was such a blow to hear he had finally passed away. Rainbow was probably the first band I loved and still love. Man on the Silver Mountain and Temple of the King are still some of my favorite all-time songs. The man was a legend and his voice one of the greatest of all-time. R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio.

• May 17, 2010 at 12:07 pm

My favorite song of his is The Temple of the King (when he was in Rainbow). RIP

• Mr. Simon

May 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm

One of the greatest! My dad played Rainbow for me when I was very little and Dio was always one of my all-time favorite metal singers.

And now he’s rocking it out with the man upstairs

• jonathanlippe

May 17, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Jack Black, Uncle Sal and Nintendo Nerd filled me on Dio. Condolences to you guys for losing a legend.
    In fact, I can’t remember but I think Uncle Sal mentioned Dio possibly in the “Uncle Sal tells the true story about the pick of destiny”.

• murphy2112

May 17, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I can’t say I’m a fan of any of Ronnie’s stuff, but he was certainly a character and a very important figure in heavy metal history (he gave us the horns, for crying out loud!). My friend’s a musician and he met Ronnie a few times and it sounds like he was just a swell guy. He will be missed.

• jonathanlippe

May 17, 2010 at 12:37 pm

yeah, Ronnie James Dio gets mentioned at 13:20 in the Uncle Sal Explains The True History of the Pick of Destiny. Interesting history in the video, kinda like a James Rolfe movie review video.

• hatethosefuckingshittygames

May 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm

NOOOOO!!!!! DIIOOOOOO :'(

• May 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm

We in the metal comunity now mourn the loss of a true legend.R.I.P Ronnie.

• May 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Dreadful news. At least we still have his music

• ChildrenoftheDio

May 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm

holy shit… i can’t believe it. Whatever happens, he lives on in me, and all other metal fans! The world has lost a genius!! Straight through the heart, man!

• DarknessHero

May 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm

This is why I don’t believe in God. If there was a God, he wouldn’t allow mediocre hacks like Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus to thrive, and people like Dio pass away.

• May 17, 2010 at 3:25 pm

The best way to live forever it’s making music

• Pasta711

May 17, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Dio still lives on through his music, just like every other rockstar thats passed away before him

• greatestcommonfactor

May 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm

he not only lives in his music but also in our hearts. He is (or was) awesome and he will always be awesome. Thats the real story about Ronie James Dio. ROCK ON !!!!!!!! 🙁

• punisher83

May 17, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Metal just lost a real class act.

• joeykazaam

May 17, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Gods cannot die, only bless us in other ways

quote from holy diver:

The vision never dies
    Life’s a never ending wheel

• tegustajazz

May 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Well we can take comfort in knowing:
    Ronnie is probably in hell, kicking Satan’s ass, and setting up a golf course where the underworld used to be. May the greatest vocalist in metal rest in peace.

• May 17, 2010 at 4:52 pm

RIP Holy Diver!

• ejp022791

May 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm

So weird. I was just listening to the Holy Diver album last week after not hearing it in years.

• ARProductions

May 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I am shocked and saddened that he has passed on. I really don’t know waht to say. He was a inspiration to many, he was a legend, a metal god, and his music will live on forever and ever.

Rest In Peace Ronnie James Dio

• Mick2

May 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Good to know that you have awesome taste in music, James. RIP Dio

• Anduin

May 17, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Ronnie James Dio. The only person who will go to Heaven and Hell.
    I´m truly greatful for the times I´ve seen you perform and you will be missed by thousends of music lovers all over the world. Condolences from Sweden to his family and friends.

• R3alitySh0ck

May 17, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Looks like Ronnie James Dio was a freemason….

• May 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Descansa en paz Ronnie James Dio, tu música vivirá por siempre y su legado estará siempre con todo aquel que se crea metalero

• coco13

May 17, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Rip Dio

• Dolly Dagger

May 17, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Truly saddened when I heard the news.

RIP, Dio.

• necromage9

May 17, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I respected this man, and held him high in my list of Rock legends.

Anima eius et animae omnium fidelium defunctorum per sanus deus misericordiam requiescat in pace.

• Lesley M.

May 17, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Dude, all I saw was “James” and “dies” in the same sentence. I almost had a heart attack. But sad times about the death of a rock legend.

• goes.2.eleven

May 17, 2010 at 8:39 pm

These passed weeks have been hard on the metal crowd with the passing of such genius minds as Peter Steele and now Dio. Dio is pure metal legend and a class act through and through. Heres to the little man with the giant voice. Rock on Dio!!!!

• May 17, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I’ve always appreciated his work. And today while at my local indie record store, I picked up a copy of “Mob Rules” in honor of the fallen legend.

Incidentally, while researching Dio today, I came up with this:

A Famicom Game starring Dio?

• snagon

May 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Tis a sad day in the world of heavy metal.
    I’m doing a tribute to him here http://thenumberoftheblog.com/2010/05/17/in-memoriam-snagons-top-5-albums-featuring-ronnie-james-dio-5-dio-the-last-in-line/ please check it out as you may learn something

• J-Smash

May 17, 2010 at 9:22 pm

so sad, I don’t even know what to say 🙁

• jason24589

May 17, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I’m sorry guys because there is lotsa reply if they are bad ass or bad of my comment last time in AVGN episode, Deadly Towers

• jason24589

May 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm

James, I go to his website (www.ronniejamesdio.com/) and it appears on his website is the message from Wendy Dio. (I just copy from this article from James)

-Wendy Dio

RIP July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

• Dan9550

May 17, 2010 at 11:32 pm

:'(

• haRmoNa

May 18, 2010 at 12:15 am

why do the best die so sudenlyv:(
    RIP :((

• EvalSxobX

May 18, 2010 at 12:16 am

You will be missed Dio……..ROCK ON

• May 18, 2010 at 4:43 am

RIP Ron, i was listening Dio since i was just a Kid, he lefts his voice in earth, but he will improve the music of Heaven.

• May 18, 2010 at 5:11 am

R.I.P Ronnie. You will be missed!

• P4INKiller

May 18, 2010 at 5:48 am

It was all a rumor, he’s not doing well, but he’s not dead!!

• 21DAZ12

May 18, 2010 at 6:54 am

When this legened died, i was totally shocked, but I had to keep goin, I have been so shocked by the death of soo many great celebrities like Michael Jackson, John Hughs and Patrick Swayze, and now Dio, the whole world has lost a great man and he will never b forgoten.

Oh and by the way “P4INKiller” He is dead, your just an idiot.

• Roxas15

May 18, 2010 at 8:33 am

RIP. He was a legend. heaven will rock.
    from germany

• Mr. Arkadin

May 18, 2010 at 8:39 am

I saw him on the Sacred Heart tour. I liked the cheesy dragon set. Loudest concert I ever attended. I was deaf for two days after that.

• MorePAIN

May 18, 2010 at 10:31 am

Dio was a Metal GOD. I seen him on Heaven and Hell tour. Every time a song started the crowd would get into a trance. He was electric on the stage man. I was sad when I heard the news. He was an epic figure in Metal and always will be.!

• madthedj

May 18, 2010 at 10:40 am

In memoriam, I just cranked “Hide In The Rainbow” from the Iron Eagle soundtrack, the first Dio song that ever rocked my childhood.

“The best steel goes through the fire
    And you seem to burn…”

• vonky

May 18, 2010 at 10:47 am

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ;(
    (Rock in Peace)

• IronD

May 18, 2010 at 11:36 am

Damn dude this is sad I mean on the 16 was the AC/DC concert in Romania and I went and I was so happy and when I got home I found out this and my day kinda went down. R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio.

• May 18, 2010 at 11:42 am

so long Ronnie James Dio for now you must close your heavy eyes for the last time but fear not champion rise on the wings of angels and take your place in history, sleep well
    for theres one more god in the sky tonight reast in peace thro your music and fan you will awake forever immortal, 🙂

• OMFGitsAust

May 18, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I was never a huge fan Dio but I was prefered Ozzy over Dio in Black Sabbath. Just knowing that he died suddenly is just sad.

• LifeIsMotion

May 18, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Good Night, Dio. Been listening to his first solo album all day.

I don’t believe in heaven or hell, but the idea of him rocking out with the likes of Cliff Burton and Dimebag in some kind of afterlife makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

• May 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I knew you would mention Dio’s tragic passing.. It’s been about ten years I’ve shed a single tear, yet my eyes were like a fountain on May 16th. I dare any true Dio fan to put on ‘All The Fools Sailed Away’, ‘Sacred Heart’, or ‘Rainbow In The Dark’ and not well up…

In the misty morning, on the edge of time,
    We’ve lost the rising sun, a final sign.
    As the misty morning, rolls away to die,
    Reaching for the stars, we blind the sky…
    -RJD

• May 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Sigh, this guy was awesoem in many ways T_T
    I can say this though, Im sure the gods of rock have opened his well earned throne for him to watch his children an followers from above the heavens.

R.I.P one of the many legends of rock, RONNIE JAMES DIO!!

• shad fan avgn

May 18, 2010 at 6:03 pm

well i think he gonna go to hell he walked with the devil all of is life and he invent the devil sign….but its sad its was a awesome group

• BigSab

May 18, 2010 at 6:06 pm

He’s left us….. His legend will remain. Eddie Trunk said he was workin on a sequel to Magica. There will be one more album.

• ZankonProuductions

May 18, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Aw dude… a Metal GOD of music as left are dimension but he will never die in our hearts…and ears

• Hugleikur

May 18, 2010 at 7:53 pm

R.I.P Dio

Comment #100

• Dr.That1guy

May 18, 2010 at 9:24 pm

RIP Dio, He was a metal legend and he will be missed. I prayed for him and his family today at my Bible study.

• Melike12345

May 19, 2010 at 1:41 am

I’m kind of suprised that you were a fan of Dio. Although a hint was that you played Sabbath’s “Time Machine” in one of your videos.

On that note, I have a lot more respect for you knowing you listened to the music of such a legend and were willing to pay your respects to him.

Maybe you can do a tribute of some sort in a later video, I’m sure it would mean a lot to some of your Dio/Black Sabbath/Rainbow/Elf fans in the crowd.

PS: R.I.P. Ronnie… You were one of the legends that turned me to listen to metal… I’ll miss you =(

• alex1288

May 19, 2010 at 2:17 pm

R.I.P. Dio you were a legend to all genres of metal, we will miss you, hope your kicking it in heaven =(

• NecroVMX

May 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm

James, I was also quite saddened by this, here’s something that makes a nice tribute and cheered me up a bit. 8 bit Dio!

• angryrabbit

May 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm

James and every other metalhead around… via RJD facebook page…

“There
    will be a Public Memorial Service for Ronnie James Dio on Sunday, May
    30th at 2:00 PM at The Hall Of Liberty located at Forest Lawn Hollywood
    Hills, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90068. This will be a
    celebration of the life and music of Ronnie James Dio and is open to
    …all his friends and fans from around the world.”

several hotels around Burbank will be having rooms for reduced rates, but they’re filling up fast.

more details go to James’ link above.

RJD “Man on the Silver Mountain”

• Xaviervonrottie

May 19, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Damn that’s sad! I have always been a big fan.

• Tuska

May 20, 2010 at 5:28 am

Musicaly I had only one wish….to see DIO live…..next month my dream should have come true but now hes gone…what a voice, what a man he’ll live on

• nerdy nerd

May 20, 2010 at 5:37 am

Dio, I dont know who you are but i dont like when people die so R.I.P

• StevenKyleRickenbacker

May 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm

RIP

• lmull3

May 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

“so live for today, tommorrow never comes.” – Die Young by Black Sabbath. The irony is quite strange. He was one of my favorites. He did indeed die young. RIP, you will be missed my friend.

• May 23, 2010 at 4:31 am

Yeah, this one hit me pretty hard.

He seemed really upbeat about it, like he was going to beat this thing. I’ve been cranking Dio all week in tribute.

• daemian2k

May 23, 2010 at 10:23 am

I really hated to hear about this, as much as I hated to hear about David Wayne of Metal Church and Dimebag Darrel’s death. Truly great legends are going to be missed by all fans of metal.

• mjmalmsteen

May 23, 2010 at 12:17 pm

This was truly a sad day for music. I was glad to be able to have seen him live once in 2001 at the Dio/Deep Purple/Scorpions tour of 01. Now I can’t wait to hear the Jorn Lande tribute album that is coming out on Frontiers Records soon I heard the song A Song For Ronnie James and it was amazing.

• THEMETALHEADES

May 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I almost cried when i learned Dio died. I just saw a news interview on Youtube that he was powering through the cancer and i didnt know how many months ago it was but i thought he was doing ok.

• Azdrerios Entertainment

May 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

RIP, James. You will be missed.

• riffwraith85

June 1, 2010 at 3:43 am

ugh… james did’nt pass away Ronnie James Dio passed away and paul grey this is a very sad nonth in music rip and lets not forget peter steele and The Rev

• Alice_Cooper988

June 12, 2010 at 8:19 am

R.I.P. Dio 🙁

• masterofthemoon2004

April 25, 2012 at 9:41 pm

RIP Ronnie James Dio you were my hero.