Deadly Danger Dungeon Fanfare

James / May 9th, 2010

When my neighbors and I were sitting on the back porch drawing board games nearly 20 years ago, we had no idea so many people would eventually be playing it and making their own enhanced versions. So now I’m making this the main page where you can find all the Deadly Danger Dungeon fan work. I’ll try to keep updating it all here.

The original video (Board James episode)

The original game

Video game (by Lord Gavin)
Video review of the game by Lord Gavin

Board game you can play online (Posted by Justcallmecloud)

Enhanced artwork version (no space descriptions) posted by Raw Danger

Enhanced version posted by Mystic JoJo

Deadly Danger Dungeon EX by xxlightsourcexx.deviantart.com

Comments

• Superluigui

May 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Wow, MysticJoJo really changed the rules, too bad my color cartridge is almost empy so I canΒ΄t print it.

• May 9, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I hate to say it, James, but FUCK THIS GAME. I tried to beat the online board game so many times with nothing but fail. I give up! I plan on printing it out and playing it with some friends later on. Who knows? Maybe we’ll get lucky!

• Butch Bitch

May 9, 2010 at 2:40 pm

It’s awesome that a board game you created 20 years ago is getting such a huge response….I wonder if the Parker Bros. our gonna make a deal with you now.

• thebgd

May 9, 2010 at 3:53 pm

i rule at this game. challenge me james and i will spank that ass

• May 9, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I actually calculated the chances of winning this game: http://domindthegap.co.uk/2010/05/09/deadly-danger-dungeon/

It’s about 1 in 7920 (~ 0.0126%).

• Darkenmal

May 9, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Damn this game is hard! Tried the online version and I kept dying!

You had a sick mind 20 years ago James to come up with this game. πŸ˜›

• MysticJoJo

May 9, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Hey, guys! Here’s the full-size version!

Feel free to print it on a poster and play it with some friends! I’d like to try it myself sometime.

• Mr. Arkadin

May 9, 2010 at 9:16 pm

God damn. Little Dude needs some more hit points. And some saving throws versus death.

• RedAssFan

May 9, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I almost made it from the first try!

• fyarball

May 10, 2010 at 12:30 am

Alright, finally finished (for the most part) my C++ computer program to calculate how many tries it takes to beat Deadly Danger Dungeon! My program contains code that simulates a game of ddd, and this code runs in a loop until a successful run is accomplished. This program follows the original rules of the game and assumes that the player can only move towards your current objective (key, talisman, exit) and not backwards, and that a single six-sided die is used to calculate the number of moves the player can make in a turn.

I made the program beat the game 10 times and log how many runs it took to beat it each time, and then I averaged those numbers. The average number of runs it took my program to beat ddd is… 3226!

This means that you have a 1 in 3226 chance of beating Deadly Danger Dungeon each time you play. This is quite a rough estimate though.

I will keep tweaking my program, add a simple user interface to it and then release it here with source code under an open source license when I am done.

• Gavie

May 10, 2010 at 2:48 am

That game by Lord Gravin is equally impossible to beat as James Rolfes board game. Excellent

• May 10, 2010 at 5:31 am

Hey James, thanks for posting Deadly Danger Dungeons. I have a favor to ask. You think you could upload Mischief Night for us to play? That game looked like it was a heck of a lot of fun. If you could do your fans a favor and upload it for us it would be a great treat for us to play. Thanks for all your hard work. Keep it up. Us real fans truly enjoy your work!

• fyarball

May 10, 2010 at 10:10 am

Oops, looks like there is a serious bug in my program. I’m working on a fix right now.

• May 10, 2010 at 10:29 am

This ASS of a game is unwinable! the only way to win is to shoot yourself first. Fucked-up shit!!!

• May 10, 2010 at 10:53 am

I Second the request for Mischief Night! That looks cool as hell

• Skeletor

May 10, 2010 at 10:59 am

I Almost made it. This game is fuckin’ impossible

• Skeletor

May 10, 2010 at 11:12 am

I hate this game I really do. Those fucking asshole pits on the right side that killed Motherfucking mike is impossible to get through.

• May 10, 2010 at 12:56 pm

@fyarball: you really need more than 10 runs to even closely make an estimate of the likelihood of winning. Personally (see above) I made it 1000 wins, and that’s still pretty rough estimate. Mediating 10 wins is almost like guessing.

• lartrak2

May 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Hey James, you still in contact with any of those neighbors? If you haven’t, you should drop ’em a line about this. They’d probably get a kick out of it.

• May 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Oh, yeah, James! It’s really good idea to make the own topic. Today my friend won the game. He could not even believed it πŸ™‚

• May 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm

And btw, in original game if you, as an example, rolled 6 on the dice, If you are trying to reach to the key and you see that in 6 steps to the right there will be fall could you go to the left to survive? Is it correct? I see nothing in the rules against that method.

• May 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm

@Natonstan: Thanks. Anyone else want to carry the motion for an upload of Mischief Night?

• Jay Decay

May 10, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Looks like you guys are gonna have to review more home made games.

• fuzzfoot

May 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I have played “Justcallmecloud’s” version many times now, and I can tell you that this game is a metaphor for my life: I just can’t win, and I know I’m gonna end up dead soon with nothing to show for it but a couple of keys.

• Superluigui

May 10, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I have a doubt about MysticJoJo version, the “climb to start” shortcut, can it be used anytime or you have to land exactly there?

• recompile

May 11, 2010 at 12:12 am

I have a vector version of the original (traced, slowly, from the scan) suitable for printing if anyone is interested in it on http://www.neocomputer.org/ddd/

The purist in me just didn’t care for new improved versions.

• Doctor Cheesius

May 11, 2010 at 4:17 am

I thought about putting together a prettified version of the board game, but I had other things I had to do, and figured someone would make a nice one… And two someones did! Also, the video game version is epic. I played it about 10 times in a row, highest score I managed was just barely over 300 points. Then I check the high score lists, and people are posting scores over 20k? WHAT…

• May 11, 2010 at 4:40 am

Come on! Doesn’t anyone else want James to upload Mischief Night? If you don’t know what I mean go watch Board James: Deadly Danger Dungeon. It looked like a game everyone could enjoy. James, if no one else but me & Natonstan want a copy you can just upload it on here anyways so we could at least enjoy it!

• May 11, 2010 at 6:32 am

Could anyone answer my question on previous page, please?

• Soulreaper

May 11, 2010 at 11:08 am

So awesome, lol.

• guitarsinger

May 11, 2010 at 7:21 pm

You should make a hard copy to sell on your website. I would buy it and so would others. Also, I managed to beat Justcallmecloud’s version on the first try.

• fyarball

May 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm

With the fixed version of my DDD simulator, it shows odds of around 1 in OVER 9000 of beating the game. Yeah, the old numbers are WAY off, because my program started you off WITH the key (I did that to test something but forgot to take it out).

• bobsaget101

May 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm

hey James do you have a PSN account

• May 12, 2010 at 12:28 am

Me and some co-workers at Wal Mart actually printed the game out on a huge board and put it in our back room. Our boss “Cliff” even gave it a try lol.

• Soan

May 12, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I was several spaces to beating the flash version! So close to beating it.

• Edgemonger628

May 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm

This is my version of Deadly Danger Dungeon.

I changed the crocodile pit to a monster that eats you. it looks suspiciously like Zuul , though that was an accident.

i changed up a few other traps to, but ultimatly its the same game.

• May 13, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Someone hacked the game and made a infinite hp hack, talisman hack, and key hack. Should make it easier. http://www.arcadeprehacks.com/game/4137/Deadly-Danger-Dungeon-%28DDD%29.html

• Doctor Cheesius

May 14, 2010 at 3:14 am

I’ve been trying to figure out how people were getting to ridiculous high scores on the video game version, then I read the comments and see someone has posted a link to a hacked version that basically makes the game easy. LAME. Least they could do is have it so it reports to a different high scores list, I’d like an honest high scores list.

• May 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Edgemonger628 your version is cool too! But I still prefer MysticJoJo’s version! πŸ˜‰

• themattcastro

May 14, 2010 at 5:55 pm

@TwistedSpeech I agree!

I just made a video of me and my friend trying to beat the flash version of Deadly Danger Dungeon. You guys should check it out!

I’m also working on a short film called Deadly Danger Dungeon for another website called FilmFights where they have bi-weekly video contests, and the next fight is called Playing Games where we have to bring a video game or board game to life.

• May 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm

@TheMattCastro: Woohoo! I got a third! lol! Thanks Matt! Now come on James. I know you read these. Go grab your Mischief Night game board and upload it for us, please. We really want to play that one!

• recompile

May 16, 2010 at 3:45 am

I’ve made a Javascript version of the game (from the trace I made earlier) if anyone is interested. I think it came together rather well.

You can play it online here: http://www.neocomputer.org/ddd/play.htm

I designed it to work well on lower-resolution displays and I’m curious to see if it’s playable on an iPhone or other similar devices.

• May 16, 2010 at 4:28 am

recompile, wow! This version is much better!!! You can choose the way you’ll go! Cool! Thanks for work!

• Superluigui

May 16, 2010 at 8:40 am

@recompile
    I just tested it on my iPhone like you said but what ruins it is that it says “Press any key” and that is impossible on the iPhone

• recompile

May 16, 2010 at 2:58 pm

@Superluigui
    Thanks for giving it a try. If you’re still interested, touching any of the on-screen controls (the dice, arrow icons, etc.) should start the game.

• cyrad

May 16, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Have you ever heard of http://www.thegamecrafter.com/ ?

It’s a print-on-demand service that lets you design, upload, and sell your own board and card games at no upfront cost to you. You can even include boards and game pieces with it from their catalog. You or a fan could hire a decent artist to draw the board, upload it to thegamecrafter, and sell it along with dice and pieces included.

• May 18, 2010 at 4:45 am

Now, if only someone makes a playable game with the graphically enhanced board; we’ve got the ultimate version of Dead Danger Dungeon.

• 21DAZ12

May 18, 2010 at 6:45 am

I waited for soo long for this game to get scanned that I swear to god I actually just drew out my own Version of this game onto cardboard, I tried it out on most of my freinds and they all got major pissed off, my version is only just a bit smaller than James version but it is pretty much the same, but great game, I tried to make an original game that was almost as hard as this and came close but I could never beat the challenge of the classic known as deadly danger dungeon.

Great job man, I will try and send u my version see what u think.

• recompile

May 19, 2010 at 4:44 am

@3DMaster

Here you go, a graphically enhanced version to play online.

The graphics, of course, are the work of xxlightsourcexx.deviantart.com Consequently, certain aspects of the game were changed to match this particular board version. (The talisman and key are switched, for example.)

I think the game loses a bit of its charm when enhanced. Though with two playable versions to compare, you can judge for yourself.

• Sovvolf

May 19, 2010 at 5:14 am

I have a version made my self, only made in a 3D program. I was planning on doing some animations with it, including trap deaths and such. I just don’t know how to post my version of this game on to here.

• StevenKyleRickenbacker

May 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I hope You Have A Copyright for this board game

• nammm3

May 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm

cooooool.

• inias314

May 27, 2010 at 11:47 pm

This is the most evil fucking game of all time, James!!! I want to have your children.

• jason24589

June 13, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I don’t print a Deadly Danger Dungeon because my printer has no ink and it is not compatible with Windows 7! So, I’m using a mouse pointer.

Thanks, James! πŸ˜‰

• c0dy821

June 28, 2011 at 1:54 am

Has anyone spent the time and wrote out the possible dice rolls needed to win this game?

• ABOhiccups

January 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I made Deadly Danger Dungeon on Halo Reach.

Click Here to download it for FREE as Custom Map.

Enjoy the map on Halo Reach.

• ABOhiccups

June 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Deadly Danger Dungeon (Portal 2 Version)

• Ryan Bailey

October 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Sorry that it’s taken so long, but I made a version of Deadly Danger Dungeon a couple years back, I just haven’t had time to post this on the site. Here’s the link to my version: