Deadly Danger Dungeon – SCANNED

James / May 5th, 2010

I finally got around to scanning the board game Deadly Danger Dungeon as seen on the Board James episode. I had to scan it in pieces and reassemble it in photoshop, so please excuse the choppiness. Not to mention, I made this game as a child. It’s far from perfect.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

Print it out if you can make it large enough. Play it. Make flash games about it. Whatever. Have fun.

INSTRUCTIONS:

You’re a hapless stick figure who had the bad luck of stepping into a hole. But this is no ordinary hole. It leads to Deadly Danger Dungeon. No one has EVER escaped!

DICE / GAME PIECES – Use one die. Two Dice if you want it to be Deadly Danger Dungeon Turbo. I don’t know if it’ll make it any easier. 1 or more players. Be creative with your game pieces. You can use coins, mario toys, rabbit turds, whatever works.

HIT POINTS (HP) –Β Start with 3 Hit Points. You can raise the amount depending on how difficult you want it to be. If you land on a space with a trap (Examples: Falling a short distance, getting hit by boulders, arrows) you will lose one Hit Point. If you land on a space with a potion, add 2 hit points. NOTHING can save you from landing on a space which says “Game Over”. (Examples: falling into spike pits, crocodile pits, volcanic fires, or high drops.)

GAMEPLAY –Β Begin at the START point. Start by by moving right. You can choose to be an asshole and not tell your friends. If they go left, they will eventually find out that they need the Key. (You can’t pass the space near the top that says “Need Key” without the key)

Get the KEY first, then get the MAGIC TALISMAN. Then go for the final climb, to the exit at the upper right corner. (You can’t pass the space that says “Need Talisman” without the Magic Talisman.)

Door 1 leads to Door 2 and vise versa. Door 3 leads to Door 4.

At the bottom left, there’s a pit. Fall in there and you’re screwed. You have to move to the right and touch the “BORDER” before you can go left and climb your way back out. Trust me, it sucks.

And that should be all there is to it. Experiment with it and change the rules as you like. If anyone can actually beat it, then congratulations!

Oh and by the way, NEW BOARD JAMES – TUESDAY, MAY 11

Comments

• May 5, 2010 at 5:21 pm

So coooool!!!

• Srceodizno

May 5, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Wow I remember the episode where you reviewed this and it looks like a dick to try to complete. I wish I had a big enough printer but I don’t. πŸ™
    Great news to hear there is always something new coming out. Keep up the great work.

• Kwitset

May 5, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Srceodizno, do a search for PosteRazor. It is a free program that can split larger images up into smaller ones. πŸ™‚

• May 5, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Rabbit turds? Really now? And just where do you supposed I get these rabbit turds? It’s not like I have a rabbit on hand or can go down to the store and buy a fresh bag of rabbit turds. Do you have rabbit turds, James? If so, how much are you charging for these “Rabbit Turds”? lol!

• FunnyBoo

May 5, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Cool, I’ll play it sometime.

• May 5, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I can’t wait to play! Thanks for the experience. Now I can get pissed off like Motherfucker Mike.

• zipparo

May 5, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I’m sure someone will make Deadly Danger Dungeon HD Remix pretty soon

• Savikain

May 5, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Wow, I guess other people asked him to post DDD too. Drinking Game Ahoy!

• May 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm

hah, I’ll definately give this one a go instead of Monopoly some time πŸ™‚

• jason24589

May 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Thanks, James but I don’t print it just use a computer mouse pointer while playing on my computer

• May 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, or even XP with Vista Sidebar installed, use this gadget for dice, and play on your computer using your mouse cursor on the board.

• AiRhEaD

May 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm

This game is ridiculous! I’d rather stand in front of a high powered fan while someone dropped fresh dog turds into the spinning blades. I’d rather do butterfly’s in a pool full of diarrhea and vomit. I’d rather lick a dog’s asshole after it shits (as opposed to it licking its own asshole). And last but not least, I’d rather have 300 Spartans ram their swords into my ass to relieve the pain of having to play this game. This game is ridiculous!

• Goplat

May 5, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I wrote a program to simulate playing this game; in 1,000,000 tries it got only 74 wins. Two dice makes it much easier: 13,165 wins.

• BlueGemini

May 5, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Thank you, James. You finally shared it. I wonder how far would I go on this board game XD

• ainbowrayonnectioncay

May 6, 2010 at 12:58 am

I registered to offer my personal thanks to this.

Thank you James, Mike, and Ryan as I will have so much fun playing this with my friends!!!

• bacondude1985

May 6, 2010 at 1:49 am

I bet someone with enough time on their hands could figure out the probability of winning the game based on statistical odds of each successive roll landing on the scarce safe spots. It’s probably incredibly low, like less than 1/10,000 hahahaha

• May 6, 2010 at 7:23 am

bad quality πŸ™

• Nathan B

May 6, 2010 at 10:05 am

I get pissed off just LOOKING at the game. hahaha.

• May 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Woo nice one James, and great theres gonna be a new Board James!! I Love the series, and its nice to have something new inbetween AVGN Episodes

• Plaguer70

May 6, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Hi James!
    I felt free to improve the quality a bit, I deleted some of the shadows and made it darker.

• Goplat

May 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm

bacondude1985: If there were a finite number of states, solving this game would be a simple matter of building a matrix representing the probability of reaching each state from each other state, and computing its eigenvector for 1. However, there are infinite states, because there is no bound on how high your HP can go (suppose you’ve got the key, you get the potion between the two deadly falls (+2 HP), you fall from the place 3 squares right of the start (-1 HP), you get the potion again (+2 HP), you fall again (-1 HP), you get the potion again (+2 HP)…)

• Macaro1

May 6, 2010 at 2:10 pm

hey james i a good idea to print it out to play, but if you dont want to waste paper here is a website to play it online that you dont have to download

• Jackred

May 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm

First of all thanks Plaguer70 because I don’t have a printer and I did want to play this game.

I am getting pissed enough that it’s getting my own review on it and I will try to not go over board with it.

• May 6, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Makes me wanna make a board game πŸ™‚

• May 6, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I’ll pass, thanks James.
    This game was made by a truly sick person…Oh wait – that’s you!

• May 6, 2010 at 5:06 pm

awesome! i was hoping you’d end up doing this. i can’t wait to get shit-faced with friends and die laughing trying to “win” this torturous game.

• jvtvogel

May 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Wicked cool. An updated version with color would be cool too.

• thebgd

May 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm

hahaha i played this all day at work. we rasterbated a huge version and had a good ol time playing high stakes ddd. thanks, you asshole.

• Deefmaster

May 6, 2010 at 5:57 pm

James, could you tell us the actual physical dimensions of the game? We could expand it to actual size and print it using Rasterbator (http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/). Rasterbator takes images, blows them up and splits them into 8.5×11 in sections, which you then print and join back together. Perhaps it would be better though for someone to expand the file using photoshop or some other tool, because using Rasterbator to expand might pixelate it too much.

Thanks for taking the time to scan it!

• ejp022791

May 6, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Downloaded it and when I get the chance I’ll print it out. This game looks unholy.

• anthonysapien

May 7, 2010 at 1:50 am

fuck you, james as a child. will some math genius calculate the probability of winning this game? i suspect that it is less than winning the lottery while having every one of your electrons appear on the moon.

• May 7, 2010 at 7:21 am

NEW BOARD JAMES woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop

• May 7, 2010 at 9:50 am

Supply and demand I guess. Your good to your fans James.

• bick.benedict

May 7, 2010 at 11:24 am

I can’t believe anyone wanting to honestly play this game.

• May 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Hey James,
    not sure how you did it, but in Photoshop CS4 and CS5, there is a “photomerge” option under “File”

Makes it really simple to make panoramas and multiple scans. Try it out, it just might make your scan higher quality without too much variation in the edges.

• Shellard

May 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Kind of reminds me of Underground from Action 52… πŸ˜‰

• May 7, 2010 at 4:49 pm

hehe … looking forward to this horror.

• May 7, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Hey James,

Someone turned Deadly Danger Dungeon into a quazi board/video game! Here’s the link:

I have to admit, this game is pretty fucking addictive in this form!

• KevinCogneto

May 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm

“will some math genius calculate the probability of winning this game?”

Well I’m hardly a math genius, but I am a geek about statistics so I was able to do a rough estimate. If you’re interested in the math then read up, if you just want to know the odds of winning then just skip to the end of this comment.

The way I figure it, each lethal “Game Over” space represents roughly a 1 in 4 chance of death each time you pass over it. This seems counterintuitive at first since there are six sides to a die, but the reason it’s 1 in 4 and not 1 in 6 is because you might have multiple opportunities to fall in the same pit: Say you’re 4 spaces away from a Game Over pit, and you roll a 2. Well sure, you didn’t roll a 4 so you’re not dead yet, but if you roll another 2 on the next roll, you’re still a goner. The math for how I calculated these odds are long and complicated, but take my word for it: each “Game Over” tile is a 1 in 4 chance of death. (The actual chance of death for each lethal space is 25.36%, but I’ll be generous to the game and round down a bit.)

Also keep in mind, for the purposes of calculating the odds, I disregarded all the non-lethal falls, injuries, and potions… basically I ignored the HP aspect of the game altogether, since the instant death spaces are so frequent that the odds of running out of HP are statistically negligible. Basically James wasted his time putting all that stuff in the game in the first place.

Now then, following the path of the game from beginning to end, I counted 20 instant-death spaces from start to finish. Some of these are the same space that you have to pass over twice (or sometimes three times), but each “pass” over a death space was counted as an independent opportunity to be horribly killed. And although you can fall through floors and bypass some of the Game Over spaces, it’s equally possible to fall and need to repeat sections, so statistically I’m going to assume that those cancel each other out — on an average playthrough, you will probably encounter 20 deadly pits.

So, what we have are 20 independent events, and a 75% chance of surviving each one. This comes to 0.75^20, or…

A 0.317% chance of winning. Which means, if you played Deadly Danger Dungeon 1,000 times in a row, you would win THREE times. Not quite lottery odds, but definitely way, way past the “complete waste of fucking time” threshold.

• KevinCogneto

May 7, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Hmm, although now that I’ve actually played the thing through the link Chris posted above, maybe the odds of running out of HP isn’t as insignificant as I thought. I didn’t consider the possibility of falling in that bottom left corner over and over. Now we really do need a math genius to figure this out, since each fall is not independent of one another — one fall could send you backwards and cause you to fall again in the same spot.

Let’s just say it’s impossible to win. That hurts my head less.

• Rob

May 7, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I can’t wait to see a Deadly Danger Dungeon speedrun. πŸ˜€

• fyarball

May 7, 2010 at 7:41 pm

@anthonysapien,kevincogneto Theoretical probability will not work here. It’s just too complicated. What we need is a computer program that plays the game over and over again. Fortunately, I am a computer geek with experience in C++, so I will try to cook up something.

• NinANo

May 7, 2010 at 7:56 pm

i had some timer so i made a colored version πŸ™‚

• NinANo

May 7, 2010 at 8:12 pm

lol, missclick. i mean i had some time* fail

• DragonXNIK

May 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Isn’t it a lot easier to survive if you go back and forth in spaces? You can choose to go left or right in the beginning, so it stands to reason that you can go either way with any movement.
    Like, if you roll a 2, but there’s a gameover tile 2 spaces away, you could go forward one, and back one space. That doesn’t seem like it’s against the rules or anything. I’m not saying this’ll increase your chances astronomically, but at least you can stop falling in a pit just cause you’re close to it. This style of play would probably make high rolls way better, which I feel would be more enjoyable, even though you’ll probably die every game anyway.
    You might be able to figure out a way to have a guaranteed win with this style though.

• Anon

May 7, 2010 at 8:37 pm

NinANo – Damn! You beat me to it. πŸ˜›
    Nice job you did there, i only dislike the stargates as tunnels? Does not fit with everything else imo.

• May 8, 2010 at 12:16 am

Going to print this out at work tomorrow. I cannot wait to play it lol

• nightbladehawkeye

May 8, 2010 at 1:58 am

Thanks for uploading this James.

Now lets see if I can beat this.

• Raw Danger

May 8, 2010 at 2:30 am

I was bored, so I decided to make a somewhat updated version. It doesn’t have the space descriptions added in, because I’m lazy. Maybe I’ll do it later. Anyway, you can find it here:

Enjoy

• justcallmecloud

May 8, 2010 at 3:28 am

• fyarball

May 8, 2010 at 3:50 am

Okay, I have the engine working for my probability tester. Now I just have to add all the squares.

• Jon Rushing

May 8, 2010 at 4:25 am

Tried twice, 2nd try I got pretty lucky but then died like 5 steps from the exit. What a fuck.

• MysticJoJo

May 8, 2010 at 7:25 am

I know this is like the third one, but my girlfriend and I spend the better part of yesterday making our own version. If anyone’s interested, I have one that’s super-high-res(22 inches tall in 300 DPI res, so you could print it out board game size) and I’ve come up with some rules that are of course optional but make the game winnable and competitive.

There’s a smaller version.

• NinANo

May 8, 2010 at 7:57 am

the stargates where just a temporary solution while i make the stone gates.
    Because it will take some time to make them look good

• MysticJoJo

May 8, 2010 at 8:04 am

There’s the updated rules file, it should work with any version of DDD to turn it into DDD Deluxe! I tried uploading the large poster file, but it seems it’s too big for mediafire.

• Redlion

May 8, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hey! the rules of this game resemble those of that piece of crap of super pitfall LOL!

• denyeverything

May 8, 2010 at 9:40 am

What a shit load of fuck! =)

• Bamahut

May 8, 2010 at 10:52 am

Good enough for motherfucker Mike!

• filippo333

May 8, 2010 at 12:59 pm

James… you would be a bad game designer lol.

• Necramonium

May 8, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I just noticed how one of the stick figures yells out FAIL when he falls through that hole! rofl

• May 8, 2010 at 6:49 pm

MysticJoJo, pretty cool version! Better than original, like it! Where can I find better quality?

• May 8, 2010 at 9:34 pm

On my second try, I got to that final stretch… and died.

• TheDeadlyTree

May 8, 2010 at 9:50 pm

me and my friend said “fuck it” after a wile and beat the game using 24 dice in only 2 moves

• botel15

May 9, 2010 at 12:31 am

I won at the second round in the turbo version of this ballsucking game!!
    We were three people playing and the other two almost survived, but the luck was not with them

• Kyokutan

May 9, 2010 at 4:58 am

I wrote a programm to play DDD and let the computer play it 100,000,000 times. The computer beat the game 15,849 times.
    That is a winning-chance of about 0.016% or 1 in 6300 games.

Ouch….

• CaCtUs2003

May 10, 2010 at 8:03 am

The I Wanna Be The Guy of board games!

• CaCtUs2003

May 10, 2010 at 8:04 am

Might as well call it I Wanna Be The Board Game

• barthdrum

May 12, 2010 at 1:07 am

My new desktop wallpaper!

• May 13, 2010 at 3:57 pm

MysticJoJo, thanks for a bigger version! I printed it and we played it with my friends! πŸ˜‰

• May 13, 2010 at 8:35 pm

omg i got the key and then i die and i blame you james for making a hard game and keep making good shows plz

• RustyCoffinNail

May 14, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Anyone who actually beats this game on video should get an award lol

• Beatpeitsi

May 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Nice version, MysticJoJo, look great. Did you intentionally leave out the two last “Game Over” falls on the ladder?

• 21DAZ12

May 18, 2010 at 6:39 am

I waited for soo long for this game to get scanned that I swear to god I actually just drew out my own Version of this game onto cardboard, I tried it out on most of my freinds and they all got major pissed off, my version is only just a bit smaller than James version but it is pretty much the same, but great game, I tried to make an original game that was almost as hard as this and came close but I could never beat the challenge of the classic known as deadly danger dungeon.

Great job man, I will try and send u my version see what u think.

• StevenKyleRickenbacker

May 20, 2010 at 10:49 pm

cool ! πŸ™‚

• May 26, 2010 at 2:34 am

Fuck is this game a bitch! By some miracle I was ping-ponged between the bottom pit and getting across it 3 times w/ getting the potion multiple times and not dieing. I even got past the first set of spiked pits, climbed back up to the start, got through door 1 too 2… but got dumped in the fucking fire..! I’ll be doing a review of this in the future, should be funny.

• Jbake

June 3, 2010 at 3:55 pm

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!

• Commenter

July 21, 2010 at 2:31 am

Whoever came up with this is an asshole!

• cebulips9

January 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm

BUMP! lol great game james!