Fan games… Cameo… Founder of LJN passes away…

James / May 3rd, 2010

FAN GAMES

Lord Gavin, (creator of the AVGN: Game Over games, found on the Fan Games section), has now created a game of Deadly Danger Dungeon. Check it out on his site. See the Board James episode it was inspired from here. Eventually, one day, I promise I’ll at least try to get the actual board game onto my scanner so you can possibly print it out and play it.

“Super Mario Brothers Crossover”. This is a flash game created by Exploding Rabbit that isn’t related to AVGN or anything I created at all, but it’s pretty badass! Check it out! It’s all the rave right now.

CAMEO

Well, it’s actually more like a supporting role. I play a villain in the series Metal Gear Ben. Episode 8 went live recently and features a big part of mine. I was in Episode 2 quite a bit as well. It’s fun being evil!

On a sadder note…

THE FOUNDER OF LJN PASSES AWAY

You can read the article here. A lot of us are familiar with LJN because of their historically crappy video games. Thanks for all the laughs. AVGN owes very much to you.

Comments

• May 3, 2010 at 11:03 pm

first?

• May 3, 2010 at 11:07 pm

the founder of LJN seems like such a nice guy. i’m guessing he didn’t realize the horrible quality of his video games.

• May 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm

only a few mo0re eps till et i hope 100 episodes i think will be et (cos 50 was s64)

• nammm3

May 4, 2010 at 12:41 am

The founder of LJN died? whoa…

JAMES!! I know you were a faithful watcher of “The Tonight Show w/ Conan O’Brien”, he just did an interview for 60 Minutes, you should check it out:-D

• Chuck_Norris

May 4, 2010 at 12:42 am

The Deadly Danger Dungeon Game didnt work for me it stopped loading after the copyright page it froze at the start of the next screen

• You Can Just Walk Over It

May 4, 2010 at 1:38 am

Those games always had that… distinctive LJN style that has provided the fans with countless laughs.

The Super Mario Crossover game is indeed very interesting, all the characters feel just like their game did (with it still being easy/hard ie contra and castlevania respectively).

• Deefmaster

May 4, 2010 at 1:48 am

Haha, having a copy of that DDD sounds great, until you watch the episode again. Brutal. You’d have to have Mike draw “game characters” that we could print out and glue on homemade game pieces or something.

• WingedKitsune

May 4, 2010 at 1:59 am

The Deadly Danger Dungeon game is SADISTIC!

But a good challenge, hehe.

Sad to hear about the Founder of LJN.

• May 4, 2010 at 2:11 am

Sorry James, but that Metal Gear Ben sucked balls! You were good in it, but Ben is a loser and came up with some really shitty scripting. Don’t waist your time with goofy shit like that.

• jasondixon360

May 4, 2010 at 4:22 am

That sucks that the founder of LJN died, he made a lot of crappy games (but not all of them are crappy), many years later we got to be thankful, because there would not be reviewers (of certain shitty games) like AVGN, if he did not make them.

• GoldRoger

May 4, 2010 at 4:47 am

RIP LJN dude

• Zaerdna

May 4, 2010 at 5:23 am

I love DEADLY DANGER DUNGEON!
    See my video about it :
    Thanks.
    And so sad about the LJN thing 🙁

• romeoxinxblack

May 4, 2010 at 9:36 am

so idk what happened but when i downloaded the deadly danger dungeon game and ran it my computer virus’d out…

• LJNGameDesigner

May 4, 2010 at 11:47 am

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!!!

*Runs into grave, starts digging at dirt*

Sifu! Sifu! Siffuuuuuu!!!!!!!

*Gets clocked in back of head by shovel, wakes up hours later with possible brain hemmorhaging*

Yeah, nothing like a shovel head slam to counsel a grieving soul. They should install gravestones with a personal shovel. I can’t believe my Lord and Master has passed on into the nether realm that is Silicon Heaven! May he rule there with an iron pocket protector like he did in this reality. His cruelity was extraordinary. He belongs there with other great evils like Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, and Doug McClure. I shall truly miss him and am totally devastated.

Anyhoo, does anyone know how to add a profile pic to one’s account here? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks much!

• 301gene

May 4, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I kind of agree with “TwistedSpeech” above

• May 4, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hey James! If you will scan the game, is there is any chance that Mike will paint it with his style? As I saw, it was only black and white in original?

• gonzoneil

May 4, 2010 at 2:28 pm

HEY! thanks for the heads up on mario crossover, very enjoyable. looking forward to any/all of your next videos – as far as I’m concerned everything you touch is gold! (I’m sure it takes more time and effort than that)

• Citrus Fruit

May 4, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Super Mario Crossover is awesome! 😀
    Glad to see you’ve got the chance to play it aswell, James 😛

• Mr. Arkadin

May 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Jack Friedman, the Ed Wood of video games.

• ranto1

May 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm

DAMN, that fan game of deadly danger dungeon really does the board game version justice.. it’s just barely possible to survive for a short amount of time hahaha. my best was 617, but i think i just got lucky there haha

• May 4, 2010 at 3:41 pm

well its abut time LJN fuking died

• MyNaMEIsSliMShadY

May 4, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Even though LJN sucked donkey nuts, I’m sorry to hear the founder died. Btw that Mario Crossover was fun, but if you use Simon in the second level, he can’t jump over the pipes. Anyway, it’s a fun game.

• skullkan6

May 4, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Hey James, I sent you an email telling you about Super Mario Bros. Crossover…
    Hmmm….. does that mean you learned about it from me?

• avgnfan3

May 4, 2010 at 5:07 pm

i guess the founder of LJN was like the Ed Wood of video games!!

• May 4, 2010 at 5:46 pm

@ 301gene: Thanks. 🙂

• Xavi

May 4, 2010 at 5:55 pm

You should do some sort of LJN tribune. I really have no idea where you would take that, but it seems like the thing to do.

• pipski88

May 4, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Deadly Danger Dungeon = IWTG 2 ??

• Jigglysaint

May 4, 2010 at 9:29 pm

An LJN tribute show might be interesting. I mean I know it’s all in fun, laughing at how horrible the games are, but like the article said, the founder left before they started to publish NES games.

Actually, perhaps that would be an idea for more of a catch-all rant episode which runs down the various publishers and developers of shitty games. Yes, LJN published bad games, but who MADE them? Is there some pattern? How about a comparison between American made games and Japanese games? Don’t know if it’s an AVGN style thing, but it could be a good idea for either an independant series, or for another person to review altogether.

• starman15317

May 4, 2010 at 9:57 pm

The creator of LJN created THQ? That explains why I hate most THQ games

• May 4, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I smell a tribute… or at least that’s what I’m hoping, along with many fans =]

• Sirius

May 5, 2010 at 3:22 am

I think it sucks we can’t see all the comments now on one page now. I have to click on “older comments” constantly and it’s kind of annoying.

That being said, RIP Jack Friedman.

• rosskow

May 5, 2010 at 6:43 am

ohh i have them skates chad was wearing, chris haffey pro skates ’04, nice

• syntheticsw

May 5, 2010 at 11:08 am

Even if it is sad news, is there
    any good game from LJN on the NES ?

• Karennohcs

May 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm

About Jack Friedman:
    “He was also a philanthropist and supporter of his company’s Jakks Care program, which has donated more than $40 million worth of toys and school supplies, and benefited organizations like The Special Olympics, Feed the Children, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, and more.”

Well, I guess he did something good with all the money he earned from those gamers whose lives he ruined. Oh … the irony.

• Valikyr

May 5, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Gogo LJN marathon as a tribute

• Drain

May 5, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Sad? Sorry? Are you guys serious?

I hope that guy suffered a slow, painful death to which the doctors could do nothing to stop or hinder. The abominations that created those terrible games deserve the worst fate imaginable. He helped to ruin and waste the time of many a gamer. I hope he saw the videos on this website before dying and knew that he did nothing to the video gamer base but rape and pillage it with cheap junk.

Luckily these days you can research games before wasting money on them, so you aren’t fooled into wasting money on what may as well be labeled “Dog Poo” by the fancy misleading boxes.

• lid

May 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm

^^
    Fuck off Drain. Get into the real world and stop trying to be funny by joking about a humanitarians death. The games he created were shitty nostalgic games and without them AVGN wouldnt even be here today and you wouldnt be posting disrespectful comments trying to look cool on his website.

• nick311xx

May 5, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I believe LJN only published games. Rare actually made a lot of their games during the nes era. for example Rare developed Beetle juice, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and A nightmare on elm street. and im sure their is other LJN games that Rare Developed .

• May 6, 2010 at 6:40 am

Oh, that was sweet! Wonderful feeling to play as Link in the Super Mario Bros setting to the Zelda theme 😀

• Kurt 94

May 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Man that drain guy is a real asshole, and by the way an LJN tribute would be a good idea.

• May 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm

i suppose it’s sign to make a review of alien 3/robocop on nes, james.
    it would be like a tribute to my nervous system in a childhood.
    though i still like soundtracks from a lot of ljn games, really.

• ChildrenoftheDio

May 6, 2010 at 8:52 pm

• Xyno

May 7, 2010 at 12:49 am

Wow…this LJN old guy died in my birth day !!! Sweet !!! 😛

• WoodyBBad

May 7, 2010 at 3:06 am

LJN did Mortal Kombat II on SNES which was a great game. FIGHT!

• May 7, 2010 at 10:05 am

This game is great but hard as hell!

• May 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm

@WoodyBBad Actually, Acclaim made it. Oh god I hate Acclaim.

• Dolly Dagger

May 8, 2010 at 8:57 am

…are you shitting me, Drain?

He didn’t rape children or commit genocide, for the love of christ–the guy just owned a company that developed a bunch of twenty-year-old video games that suck. In your eyes, that really warrants a ‘slow, painful death to which the doctors could do nothing to stop or hinder’?

Sounds like you need to get out more, kid.

• jason24589

May 9, 2010 at 6:18 am

LJN founder is a founder of THQ and he was a chairman of Jakks Pacific but he was retired to Jakks for a having fun with his family. He died at the age of 70

• Hank_J

May 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Laughin Jokin Numbnuts

• Archaix

May 11, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Farewell LJN founder, many lols were had thanks to you.