Kill For Thrill (2000)

James / April 12th, 2010

This is a movie I made in 2000 as a homage to Alfred Hitchock’s 1948 film “Rope”. Hitchock created great suspense using long takes. The camera would run continuously until they’d have to stop every 10 minutes or so and load more film. Whenever this happened, Hitchock had no choice but to use cuts and sometimes would try to disguise them by cutting while the camera moved behind a character’s back.

Unlike Hitchcock, I was shooting on VHS, so I could shoot for 2 hours straight if I wanted. So what I tried here was sort of an experiment. To shoot a movie in one single take. No editing! (until the end) It’s about 15 minutes long. I gave the actors general directions, but allowed them to improvise their dialogue as long as they stick to the story. It was challenging for all of us. The VHS camera was bulky and did not have the convenience of an LCD screen. So I had my eye in the viewfinder the whole time.

This is definitely no masterpiece, but if you’re studying film, it may be very interesting to check out. One warning: there is A LOT of screaming near the end. Have your volume control ready for that.

Comments

• Rancid1404

April 12, 2010 at 3:40 am

i miss the screams from the 40′s and 50′s:P

And where are the blonde women!!

• tbl

April 12, 2010 at 3:58 am

Very entertaining and hilarious

• Mattematask

April 12, 2010 at 4:48 am

Wow, this is some great acting! didn’t any neighbors went in and said “SHUT THE FUCK UP!!” to you guys?

• xtimrs

April 12, 2010 at 5:19 am

I like how the death blow seems to be the WWF style chair action. Fun to watch, as always. I can’t admit I don’t miss some comedy though. When is that Ghostbusters location thing gonna come out?

• John D. Moffat

April 12, 2010 at 5:54 am

Quite enjoyable like it when they killed the guy it was pretty good

• Cece-InspiredByJamesRolfe

April 12, 2010 at 5:55 am

That was so awesome! Amazing how you had actors that not only stayed in character but also knew their timings for knocking! it could have took one fuck up and u would have to start all over! WELL DONE JAMES!

by the way…..who’s picture is taped to the little TV?

-Cece-InspiredByJamesRolfe

• meron

April 12, 2010 at 6:01 am

this is bloody awesome!! the best scene is when he runs into the wall! hilarious! lol

• April 12, 2010 at 6:06 am

You’re a sick Director, James.

This movie should’ve been called “The Couch.”

Lol, love the ending where he just jumps into the wall. Awesome acting too.

• RobMetalCheese

April 12, 2010 at 6:31 am

Love this. The murder bit just came out of nowhere! I mean yeah, I knew they were gonna kill him, but you know what I mean. Very well directed.

• Camillo

April 12, 2010 at 6:44 am

Sorry James, but these home-videos are not the reason why i check out your website from time to time.
    Waiting for movie or videogame-related stuff.

Another thing: Its very interesting how people are praising this obvious garbage. I mean seriously, come on guys!
    If the didn’t know it was from you….ooh boy! lets just say the comments would sound a little different.

• Valo216

April 12, 2010 at 6:50 am

Though this wasn’t the best video of yours i’ve seen, I really liked the idea. You should revisit the story at some point when you get time to start doing horror again. The idea of a friend dragging the other friend into a murder unwillingly and trying to cover it up, I found it to be quite entertaining.

• darth moo 93

April 12, 2010 at 6:57 am

lol that guy was hit pretty hard with that chair :D

• monkeylt

April 12, 2010 at 8:44 am

i’m a fan of homemade movies, and this was, quite nice, as you said not a masterpiece, but definitely worth looking, nice work james

• Mr. Arkadin

April 12, 2010 at 10:32 am

Looks like an early Seduction Cinema production, but without MIsty Mundae.

• Cultura

April 12, 2010 at 10:56 am

Camillo I agree with you, avgn have chosen a road to wander, to bad its the wrong road.. and I really miss the good old avgn times. If only he did what he was good at instead of doing those homevideo movie things. They are not good at all.. very bad acting, not even trying.. and the electronics used for making it is even worse. I know you say this is not a masterpice yourself… well.. you got that right, and all your other poorly made home videos. I can be I sound alittle hard on, well.. if my girlfriend ask if her ass is big in these pants.. I gonna say what I think, and not what I should moraly say.. as alot of the avgn fans are doing. Just want you to realise this is bad and game / movie review is good.. Peace from Denmark

• Olchardwell

April 12, 2010 at 11:37 am

This was the best thing I have seen in a week, at least. Totally made my heart go, even though there was not high quality or any good special effects (blood). That Dane is all wrong, and as a Swede and a true nemesis of the Danes I must say, truthfully, that this was awesome. There was some flaws in the acting, but hey, those guys were not Johnny Depp, but still I give
    them credit. Good job :)
    Blessings from Sweden.

• April 12, 2010 at 11:47 am

Wow, it really is all taken in one single shot.

Impressive how all actors got into their roll for so long non stop…

Nice idea James.

• schass66

April 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Awesome movie, I especially liked Kevin’s preformance. (NIntendo 64 under the TV = Epic)

• JMILLZ22

April 12, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I had to watch rope for my college film appreciation class. Just like this movie it had long takes and other things.

• lartrak2

April 12, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Camillo and Cultura – don’t you ever look at the dates on these things? They’re all old videos he made ages ago, that he’s just choosing to share now. He’s not making these instead of AVGN or whatever, he’s just sharing old work.

If you don’t like them, fine. But how does it hurt anything when he’s putting them up to fill gaps in-between his numerous new videos?

• jnouel

April 12, 2010 at 12:38 pm

What is interesting in Rope. Genius really, is that Hitchcook manages to,even though it is all just one take, have different PLANNED established shots. Some are long shots, some are close ups, some are full shots. They dont (and surely arent) feel improvised but really planned to a way you forget its actually one shot. Also, more incredebly, each decision of the size of frame have a reason on the story and the feelling for the spectator.

Hithcook was able to tell the story not only with dialoge but with the scene placement of characters and items.

All this was planned and done in one shot.

These cameras where a lot more bulkier. With no steadycam and of course not LCD. As you know even worse for the operator because he literally couldnt take is eye of the viewfinder or the film could get exposed.

What im trying to say here is that although the idea is great.

There is so much potential if we are doing a homage to hitchcook.

This really doesnt feel that planned. The acting yes… of course, and the timing. What i mean is the selection of frames seems improvised and on the run. Not even a documentary suffers from it. Its more like a kid with a camera. The camera never stops moving. And im not talking on the shakiness, im talking that when you have a middle shot you keep going in and out from it. It kills it.

In anyway im being negative. This should be taken as a positive review. I do understand the intentions and that this is a homemade film, but you seem like someone who likes to talk about good film.

You should check out “Image-movement” from Gilles Deleuze. I’d be more than happy to discuss filmmaking with you.

Excuse my use on the english language. It’s not my first language.

• ultimatebohab

April 12, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Hmm… people complaining about these home movies… most all of these are created before AVGN! He is sharing them with us as us as fans may find them interested. Yikes…

• SexyP3nguin123

April 12, 2010 at 1:49 pm

The improvised acting was beautiful. It made it feel more into the characters heads than a regular written and practiced skit. The two kids at the beginning (I forget there names) totally stole the show in my opinion. But the real show stopper for me was when the one with glasses (again can’t remember names) began hearing the heart beat and ran into that wall. I wanted to laugh but at the same tine I didn’t want to. Anyway great job James. :)

• stenkohl

April 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I have to say that the concept and the whole idea has a lot of potential – a nice homage to Hitchcock, a long take, improvised lines etc. Unfortunately the outcome was kind of…meh. Like jnouel said, the camerawork just felt kinda off, it felt like you hadn’t think it through and just tried to find an open spot to stand and film the whole thing. The improvising was good, until the end where everybody were just screaming at became a mess – for that I would’ve preferred a scripted scene; especially for the lovely ladies, they got kind of loud and obnoxious.
    Nevertheless, I love the fact that you are sharing those old videos and movies with us, because a lot of them have been quite enjoyable. I am a fan of homemade movies and thanks to you I have learned quite a bit. Thank you, James.

I also hope that we have an opportunity to see a brand new movie from you sometimes in the future.

• KCMATT

April 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm

It was good. For those of you who do not like it, you just need to understand these old videos are just to occupy use while we wait for the next new video. I get it and its all good, its better than nothing. Can’t wait for something new though.

• Beware77

April 12, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Kill for the love of killing, kill for a thrill.

-Ministry

Nice “Rust in Peace” album by the way, probably the best metal album of all time. (It was sitting next to the remote in case you’re not a fan.)

• AARST

April 12, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I liked it a lot. Since it deliberately lacks any form of special effects, blood or editing, that’s when you really start to pay attention to the actors and their skill. Really impressive.
    How often was this rehearsed?

Unrelated: I just watched American Movie; really enjoyed it.
    Also saw the first 20 minutes of It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, couldn’t get into it. I guess it’s because I don’t know any of these comedians but also because it starts the story off without any form of introduction and immediately presents you with over a dozen characters off the bat. That puts me off.

• TehJedicake

April 12, 2010 at 3:27 pm

WOW! I absolutely loved this one!

• Camillo

April 12, 2010 at 3:27 pm

@ KCMATT

That’s right, he’s just filling the gaps, hopefully.
    I can’t quite understand how something like that can be called a “Homage to Hitchcock” and be on the front page introduced as a “web premiere” with a exclamation mark.
    That’s as if i’d throw an apple in someone’s face and call it a homage to Newton.
    James does wonderful videos now and i watch the AVGN since i saw the Back to the Future-review back then.
    But its a riddle to me, how he can post these old crappy videos on the same page together with all his good stuff.

I’ll be honest here: James is a one man show and when he’s in front of the camera, he knows what’s good.
    But he isn’t what i would concider a real “director”.
    This whole “i’m a director”-thing comes along a bit pretentious, because i haven’t seen anything good with James being behind the camera, yet.

Sorry for my english, i’m not a native speaker.

• Inferno

April 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm

This is an excellent take on Alfred Hitchcock’s style of cinematography, and the actors are great in their timing. Each actor is very precise, and their acting was phenomenal. It feels like the are the character, which makes it very believable. Truly awesome. Great work James.

• Rod Trendy

April 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm

James, seriously, if you read this: Don’t ever lose some weight again! I don’t want to be rude, but back then you looked FUCKIN’ HORRIBLE!

You just look handsome as you are right now.

• Imperium

April 12, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Seriously… are some of you totally stupid or some shit like that ? Because first of all I dont see the point to bullshit about doing this when he did it in 2000 IN FUCKING 2000 not in 2010… have you learn to read… ?

Kill For Thrill cannot have jeopardize AVGN in any way because it was made before… James only show us the result of this experiment and learn me about Alfred Hitchock’s especially.

This is especially for you Camillo and Cultura.

Anyway, thank you James to shared this with us. Its maybe not a masterpiece but that was pretty nice to try it.

• Butch Bitch

April 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm

What a great tribute to Hitchcock!As you said,it’s no masterpiece,but it’s definitely something I enjoyed.The cast was great,especially Kevin,who gave the best performance of the short.I loved the story,even though it was very similar to “Rope” to which this movie pays homage to.Nice to see that your Masters Of Puppet drawing on the wall near the door,I thought that was interesting.

• Escalator

April 12, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Very entertaining. Ya know, like entertainment. The very reason the average viewer watches movies. Maybe instead of watching it to tear it apart, you wannabe-critics should watch it for what it is: a cheesy home movie. After all, you don’t watch The Final Destination because you know it’s going to be good!

As for the video itself. The actors did a great job at staying in character and keeping the story going. My friends and I like to make short videos every now and then, and I can’t imagine doing a 15 minute video in 1 take. Also, the comedy didn’t overshadow the seriousness of the situation.

The only problem I had was with the characters. If I were Victor, “GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!” would have been a common line throughout the video :P It wasn’t a very good time for him to allow a couple annoying wenches to walk all over him.

• Thunderjohn

April 12, 2010 at 5:35 pm

DIE MUTHAFUCKA!!! DIE MUTHAFUCKA!!

• chopperdave

April 12, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Loved it, the Tell Tale Heart was an obvious influence, and it was made even better by a consistintly moveing camera and all of this in a single take.

• Miles

April 12, 2010 at 6:27 pm

This was really impressive. Good work to you and the cast. I don’t know how they could keep straight faces at times. I imagine this took a lot of practice?

• April 12, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Great short, I love it when movies have long tracking shots in them, and it really impressed me you made an entire 15 minute movie in one take. Kevin was definitely the best actor, but the rest were good. Great job again.

• Novacaine

April 12, 2010 at 7:24 pm

that was strangely entertaining but i loved it!!!!!! great job man!!!

• CrassPunk99

April 12, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Hahaha

• marclawson

April 12, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I like how the cop in the end looks like she’s writing up a ticket. See killings okay, you just get your murder ticket and you’re on your way.

• Biofetus

April 12, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Seriously bro, this was amazing. Totally saw the edgar allan poe mixed in there. That was seriously awesome. I cant get enough of your older work, with the VHS camera. it just looks so retro and awesome.

keep up the good work. btw i love the new layout.

• April 12, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Well folks, these old movies are what Cinemassacre is all about. Love them or hate them. I’ll leave it up to James to defend them or not. As for me I love watching these old movies. They remind me of when I first started filming, and they are very entertaining and full of creativity.

As for this movie, it was very cool how it was mostly one shot. I do think though it did fall apart near the end. But what the hell am I doing critiquing this, I sure as hell haven’t tried to make something like this. The difficulty must be pretty high, especially when your actors are your friends. Good Job, thanks for the 15 minutes of entertainment.

• greatestcommonfactor

April 12, 2010 at 9:35 pm

this may be a stupid question but:
    did you guys actually sit on top of “sean” or was it just a dummy?
    Did your left/right eye get a mark after you finished filming?

• Marty12McFly

April 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm

This was a great movie and stayed true to edgar allan poe’s “tell tale heart”.

• cloob1

April 12, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I totally remember this from the countdown! Shawn… must be John’s older brother, right? Anyway, it was great! Awesome performance by Kevin as usual. It would’ve been awesome if they kept killing everyone that came over, run out of hiding spaces, cops call from all the noise, and then they almost get the cop but she manages to shoot off a couple rounds and get away. Meantime, they die from their wounds before backup can arrive.

• April 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm

The things i liked about this movie were the fact that it was just one extended shot and it was mostly improv. that also presents a couple downfalls. such as, the improv was a little misleading. the movie landed too close to the line between comedic and thriller. Improv can also lead to many, especially with such a long shot, complications because you don’t have the freedom to cut out the bad stuff and keep the good ones. you get what you get. which makes it feel a little drawn out. it’s hard to imagine the frustration for the director when the actors are taking too much time with a scene. all that aside, all in all it was interesting to see how you followed through with a difficult challenge. you’ve got so many ideas floating around in your fuckin head man. good work.

• Rockymyowen

April 13, 2010 at 12:10 am

some of you people write toooooo much! hehe

• April 13, 2010 at 12:21 am

oh shit, sorry about that. lol

• April 13, 2010 at 12:23 am

i realize long comments do run the risk of getting ignored. :S

• Phillip7485

April 13, 2010 at 12:32 am

i don’t usually like these, but, i’ll admit, this one was alright. i was really hoping for more killing though

• dethkloknirvana

April 13, 2010 at 12:51 am

nice, the tell tale heart, i liked it

• Shellyo

April 13, 2010 at 9:14 am

I liked this one. The guy with glasses was a really convincing crazy guy

• sirhamhat

April 13, 2010 at 11:14 am

13:10 “You fuckin’ retahds are gonna’ kill ‘im.” HAHA! Funny stuff.

I agree. This one was fun, but I was hoping there would be more deaths. I figured that the nosy people were going to die one by one. That would have been a hoot. Still, not bad.

• TroyJCrossley

April 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Well Camillo, that’s your opinion I guess.

I personally loved the movie. The plot was simple and easy to grasp which allowed the actors much more freedom than an overcomplicated “deep” story would. The acting was very well done and believable (with the exception of the guy who played Tom, who looked like he was about to crack up every time he was in frame)
    The fact that you did this all in one take makes it all the better. It builds drama and puts the viewer right in the situation, almost like we were in the movie ourselves as a silent observer of the chaos.

Well done, well done.

• heartofiron

April 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm

the blond girl was really convincing. I like how she kept getting in everyone’s face.

• Adde95

April 13, 2010 at 2:00 pm

That was really strange. I didn’t really follow

• April 13, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Damn James, it turned out to be some good, totally realistic stuff, I really enjoyed it :) Amazing work.

• Dax

April 13, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Beside “Rope” this also reminds me on “Murder by Numbers” ,cool thing is it was made before .

• April 13, 2010 at 5:51 pm

WOW! this movie was very entertaning and suspenful. I really liked it !

• Lurch80

April 13, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I liked this one. Very good actors! I just can’t wait for your next movie James!

• charlywarly

April 13, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Nice Choreography and convincingly good experiment as a whole.

Gotta ask this question about the video because it caught my eye:

On the white TV on the coffee table, there seemed to be an image of somebody with a white shirt taped to it. To be more specific, the person’s racial orientation was white and he appeared to have a beard. Due to the title and subject of this video, Is the person on the white TV the infamous murderer Charles Manson?

Now you might think I’m overanalyzing this stuff and I need to not give a flying, excreted fecal projectile about it and that this comment is just taking forever to get through. But, as a fellow semi-aware film nerd, I would like to know.

• Jime

April 14, 2010 at 12:25 am

Really good work here from both you and your actors. I hadn’t realized that Hitchcock had filmed Rope like that and so this makes me respect that film even more.

• April 14, 2010 at 12:28 am

I did like this, not as much as your other films. I cannot wait to see the next web premier though!

• Laughs

April 14, 2010 at 2:37 am

The guy with the glasses was awesome… Very entertaining short.

• Lord Moe

April 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

@Camillo

He made this site to host his movies, not his Movie and Game reviews. That’s why it’s called cinemassacre.com, not avgn.com

Also, who cares why you come here? James does what he wants. He’s not going to say “Okay, I’ll stop posting my movies here” just because you said so.

• Behrouz

April 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Is it me or is the guy with the glasses the same one who plays in ninja gaiden video?

• April 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Again Depasquale, he is a big friend of you, am I right? As fore the novel (it’s too short to call it the movie I think) – I never saw something such original. It’s like one of Tarantino’s movies but with your own style. This situation with couch s freaking piquantly, and actors are making a really good job (playing is awesome, just like in real life). Looks like something documentary (especially because there is no any montage). If the “death shot” would be more realistic (I mean blood, more violance and tears on the eyes of that nervous guy) I could even believe that it’s documentary. Only thing that I didn’t understand is that why they killed him? What’s the reason?
    But it’s a great job and I will recommend it to my friends, I think they will like it too, as much as me. Thanx for fun!

• cpfan2000

April 15, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Alright, I watch this like every damn day. It never gets old. haha i love this. I plan on making something with the same format but obviously a different story. I lose it every time I see Kevin run into the wall. lmao omg that is so freaking hilarious

• Joker83

April 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I liked it-
    i thought it was funny that there was randomly a poster for “End of Days” on the door.
    I also liked how this movie was filmed in 2000

• April 18, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Would have been a heck of a lot better if I could have understood anyone during all the screaming. I give it a 2 out 5 stars.

• April 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Very good movie! Kevin Finn is actually a very good actor ;D

• MistahMas

April 26, 2010 at 11:56 pm

was the guy in the couch for the whole 12 or so minutes?

• Strazdas

April 27, 2010 at 8:40 am

“Only thing that I didn’t understand is that why they killed him? What’s the reason?”
    I believe the that the whole point of this movie is kills for >>>Thrills<<<.

nice movie you made there, really intresting to watch, though it felt like some people are overreacting, but hey their no professionals.

Oh and if i were that black dressed guy: "hey everyone shut up and leave my fucking room".

• lordtufty

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I saw some pussy in the corner!

• sheldenrocks

April 30, 2010 at 5:10 pm

nice movie

• bakonfreek

May 2, 2010 at 3:43 pm

soo…why didn’t you just use a small VHS-C camcorder like my dad did? they were cheap if they were made in the mid ’90s and most were compact.

video is great anyways.

• Edward

May 8, 2010 at 6:46 pm

You know, at times Kevin kinda looked like Harry Potter. Don’t ask me why, but it was close. Especially in the thumbnail.

Nice video, btw.

• masgeo

May 13, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Rope is one of my favourite films due to the cinematography and the script, so I wasn’t expecting much from some improvising students … BUT, you actually did a really good job. I thought that with him stuffed under the sofa, you should have had blood drip/trickle down under the cushions, then the guy with glasses could have gotten all paranoid and tried to cover it or something, to initiate the heartbeat (Alan Poe bit.) But anyway, that was just an idea, and I’m sure you know the flaws so I won’t point ‘em out, but overall I was really impressed and intrigued right til’ the end. Funny to see the difference in College kids though isn’t it. In 1948 they’re talking poetry and literature, in 2000 it’s “Wanna play Tony Hawk?” lol. Great job though for what it is, and oddly enough, you were just ahead of the times: with Cloverfield etc , everyone’s doing this style now. Keep it up! Oh, and your Bucket ep of Board James rocked dude. >_0

• SBS12345

May 31, 2010 at 11:14 pm

everything is ok, kevin just drank to much there was a knife and i wasn’t even here and he went crazy!

• carlitonios

October 5, 2010 at 11:09 am

i think this movie is really smart. Even though there seemed to be missing blood, everything else worked really finel. I really enjoyed it. Great Job!!!

• Revolter

December 3, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Wow! I’ve watched the first half of it never knowing it was a single-shot movie, and that they were improvising (because I’ve read the description later), so it was a nice surprise – the tension inside me I built up for some reason, watching and waiting just WHEN the actors begin to display confusion and/or mispronounce stuff because of the stress, was almost unbearable :D That’s why I’ve paused to read the description in the first place. What a grand guys, awesome performance for a non-professional students :)

• EliteDeath

March 9, 2011 at 1:12 am

Once again you make another great film. You continue to impress and inspire me.

• kruker

April 28, 2011 at 4:47 pm

wow just 2 shots in the film?
    or more?
    either way I see the Hitchcock in it the part that the guy got crazy.
    just see true the lag an then its pretty nice

• lexing123

May 9, 2011 at 4:50 am

Awesome movie, I was on the edge of my seat.

• MRCAB

December 13, 2011 at 5:17 am

“A lot of screaming near the end”? More like, the whole second half. LOL

• demmaster

October 11, 2012 at 9:30 am

I like how real this movie looks and feels. You truly captured it well and the girls screaming did a damn good job. I saw trash like that in real life and they scream just like that. Not saying the actresses themselves are trash, but they acted perfectly. There should have been some blood though, because of the stabbing. Nothing too gory, but just to indicate the character was actually stabbed. Everything else is spot on. A+ :-)

• guinea54

July 12, 2013 at 2:30 am

I love AVGN and the dragon in my dreams,, and I am liking whatever i watched on here so far.. this one.. eh.. not really my style.