AVGN Q&A – MagFest 2010

Mike Matei / January 4th, 2010

Here’s the Q&A from the MagFest, Music and Gaming convention, 2010, with Kyle Justin. The audio can be a little difficult at times, so don’t expect big production value and don’t expect anything scripted. It’s long and rambling just like any Q&A. Thanks to Lord Kickass, once again, for sending his video footage. I edited it down a little and split it into 2 parts. Each part is roughly 20 minutes.

PART 1

PART 2

Comments

• Jime

April 15, 2010 at 2:22 am

i wonder sometimes if you feel like Harrison Ford. Remember how hard he tried to distance himself from Star Wars? he didn’t want to do RotJ. He even wanted Solo to die off at the end to ensure him never playing the role again. The theory is that he was afraid of being stereotyped and cut off from what became his future body of work.

It’s gotta be tough.

I mean here is the AVGN, it’s your breadwinner and what has brought you your fame and money. But you also have projects like the Blue Hole (which could become a phenomenal series) and other artistic ventures. it seems like your fans constantly want more AVGN…so how do you balance that equation?

I remember when Red Hot Chili Peppers released “Under the Bridge” and many of their fans called then sell outs. I still loved them just the same but a lot of people felt they lost their edge and were turning mainstream–and maybe the are right. I guess what I’m saying is that in the world of fame, changing your image seems to have consequences and that when i look at your body of work it seems that the AVGN is not your sole aspiration.

Just wondering how you will reconcile that when the day comes to put the old toys away and move on.

• May 1, 2010 at 11:04 am

I think James is pretty passionate at whatever he does, and he’s not a pushover so he’ll do what he wants and enough people will like it. Here’s to you doing what you do James. :)

• secretspy911

June 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm

You’re so awesome AVGN! Too bad I don’t live in USA. Don’t hesitate to go on a trip to the north (Canada) ;)

Continue your good work and I congratulate you and all your staff for your great success!

• thecleeze@gmail.com

July 17, 2010 at 4:12 am

Best NES soundtrack… Perhaps Metroid. That shit used to creep me the fuck out. I can only say that about Metroid, and Doom II – the only tow games that have actually made me physically jump from a sitting position. Also, Command and Conquer on the PC has probably the best soundtrack ever in a video game, but it wasn’t on the NES.

• thecleeze@gmail.com

July 17, 2010 at 4:20 am

Obviously Doom II wan’t on the NES either… but well, there was some cool NES music. SMB 2 had a cool soundtrack, simple as it was. Contra had probably the best ‘victory music’ – when you beat a level, you knew you did! Cool thing about Mega Man is that each level had its own music, and it was pretty rad. I guess it depends on how you define ‘best’. Most memorable? Most unique? Most catchy?

• Corbinator

August 8, 2011 at 4:06 am

At the end Kyle’s performance i said aloud, “Hail to the king, baby.”