Abominable Dr. Phibes, The (1971)

Mike Matei / October 17th, 2009

Comments

• April 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I saw the first one in movie class because the teacher has a great love for this movie! Haven’t seen the sequel yet (though Peter Cushing’s in it), but I’ll give it a watch!

• staywhatur44

July 12, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Brilliant movie…and a terrific review. Vincent Price’s reaction when the plane goes down is priceless!

• alex21

September 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

I have never see the movie or the sequel but from the above video it seems very good, especially the first, thanks cinemassacre.

• croy10067

January 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Holy shit when the nerd that guy suffered from a car crash and he pulled off the mask. He looked like a ghoul from the fallout series this might be where they got the ghoul look from for fallout. But I am not sure on this.

• February 21, 2011 at 3:46 am

Hey James man you’ve gotta help me argue that Saw ripped off Dr. Phibes.

• fcabanski

May 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I love this series but James got a lot wrong in this review. That frog mask doesn’t strangle the guy, it crushes his skull. Phibes doesn’t kill people in the temple, most of them are killed while in Egypt seeking the temple. Phibes didn’t build the temple. His scrolls that described the temple’s location had been stolen.

• penpan

August 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm

hey, inspiration for Saw, gotta love that!

• MECHAGARY

February 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I saw these movies back in the 70s’, and they creeped me out to no end.

I’d love to see a remake.

• jacko wacko

July 14, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Who would win in a fight: Dr Phibes vs Jigsaw

• Liz

January 14, 2013 at 12:56 pm

The strange thing is, some people perceive the movie as a comedy. I watched various reviews of this movie, and it has been said a few times. This movie isn’t even a dark comedy, it’s horror. Can someone please elaborate as to why it’s even called a comedy?

• June 5, 2013 at 2:15 am

What a crazy mofo! I’m gonna find this online, see if anyone else will watch it with me.

• PiloPeelo

August 22, 2013 at 12:31 am

The roots and inspirations of SAW movies. Wow I thought about the Saw movies right before you mentioned that this movie inspired it. Youre freakin awesome James!

• Josh

June 15, 2014 at 12:10 am

I’m definitely watching this one soon. It looks great. Gr8/8 even.