Giant Claw, The (1957)

Mike Matei / October 13th, 2009

Comments

• April 9, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Where is the Giant Claw? Beats me! I’m sure that’s what most people would say.

You forgot to mention that this movie was produced by infamous horror producer Sam Katzman who must’ve produced as much horror films as Roger Corman! This is on Sony’s Icons of Horror: Sam Katzman DVD that also feature some of his other infamous films like Creature with the Atom Brain, Zombies of Mora Tau, and The Werewolf!

If I too would like to own a movie prop, I would like to have any of the treasures from the Indiana Jones series like the Ark of the Covenant, the Shankara stones, or the Holy Grail!

• John D. Moffat

April 11, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Great review the Giant Claw is such a memorable monster

This is probably not important but in the Doctor who episode “Planet of Evil” there is an anit-matter world, hum mabey that is where the Giant claw came from.

Sorry don’t know where the prop is.

• Liam Gauci

May 1, 2010 at 9:10 am

I’m watching the last bit of The Giant Claw right now. It really IS funny how seriously the actors take the creature but when you finally see it you’re like “what…. the….” Classic B-Movie, can’t wait to watch the other Katzman flicks in the Icons of Horror set! Btw, the scenes in which the main characters shoot the thing’s egg to bits doesn’t do wonders for their image as the supposed heroes of the movie. Mr. Director, heroes shooting a defenseless egg is a no-no!

• May 7, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I dont know if any one elts has noticed but when i was playing pokemon soulsilver i realized that Ho-oh looks kinda like the giant claw with its mowhawk and eyes and stuff. i was just wondering if any one else sees this

• June 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm

hehe the bird was going in the star pattern of the North star XDD

There already dead XDDD (hokuto No Ken reference.)

• Joseph Schultz

December 30, 2013 at 5:59 am

what the fuck…

• venom 51007

August 4, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Hey James if they were to make a remake of the Giant Claw would u go see it. Or would u rather not see it cause u might think they’ll make the bird look more ridiculous.

• venom 51007

August 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm

LOL u could even use that as a momma so fat joke it would go like this (please note that i’m not making fun of someones mom here)YO MOMMA SO UGLY SHE MARRIED THE GIANT CLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah thats a good one

• October 17, 2010 at 11:26 am

Hey, that’s what happens when you outsource to Mexico XD XD

• frostare

September 19, 2013 at 11:32 am

Really? You’re just like those modern TV series

• zombifiedguitarist

October 28, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Fun fact, the main character played by Jeff Morrow also plays Exeter in This Island Earth.

• me10000

June 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Quick question: sometimes when talking about b-movies, you see a weird creature (made out of paper) with big goofy eyes assaulting an unsuspecting couple kissing. Pleease can anyone tell me what that movie is? The first time i saw that thing i nearly pissed myself laughing

• ducttape

July 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm

You can draw a spiral through any five points.

• penpan

August 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm

OMG I about peed I cracked up so hard at that bird’s goofy eyes and mohawk! That is so bad it’s good, James.

• penpan

August 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I think a movie prop I would love in my living room would have to be the mechanical owl from the original Clash of the Titans. The original, I said!

• MichaelGregoryMarkBaska

December 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm

• JerrySanbox

February 5, 2012 at 3:46 am

holy battleships batman

• HorazStCruz

March 21, 2012 at 1:29 am

I have many questions regarding this film and this video, the main one being…
    That witch-ey laughter at the beginning, where does it originally come from?

I cannot help but think on Megadeth’s first seconds of Lucretia (and i’m quite sure Dave took that from another place)!

• jacko wacko

July 14, 2012 at 4:27 pm

The Giant Claw vs Godzilla. Wow that movie needs to be made or better yet how about The Giant Claw vs Godzilla vs King Kong. Now that would drive the fans crazy.

• caitseith

October 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm

The pattern. OMG, the pattern. How couldn’t I see the pattern before he drawed it? It was as simple as rocket science.

• March 26, 2013 at 8:57 am

I don’t know where the Claw is today but I’ll be using info from The Giant Claw at Ravenwood Castle in April. We’re doing a mystery adventure weekend titled The Adventure of the Dragon’s Claw and stills from the pic will be popping up along with clues. I’m going to do the same thing with The Blob in October up at Kelleys Island. These movies are too cool to NOT pull them back into the light!

• September 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

At first glance, the thing looks like either Sea Hag’s vulture from the 60′s Popeye cartoons or Buzz Buzzard from Woody Woodpecker on a drunken bender. I won’t bother defending it, or the cheapness it all but exudes.

But on another level, it oddly works. I mean, the science is crap, although the anti-matter shield could have been skin-tight, like the Byrne Superman. But it was engaging technobabble, at least TNG-level, IMO. The creature itself is so wretchedly bad it stretches back again to actually be scary again. This thing is so damned off, so very wrong in its looks and feel, the very wrongness begins to make it actually feel creepy. It does not belong there, and I think unintentionally, the producers stumbled upon the Toho rule of not making the monsters too realistic, a method that dovetailed with limited budgets and tech, reasoning that the monster should look like it should not exist. I’m with Mike – if I could get a mini-marionette of this and the Groucho Duck, it’d be awesome.

• frostare

September 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

Maybe if the pattern had been more… spread out

• michael aguilar

October 7, 2013 at 6:13 pm

You have nothing to worry about, the giant claw will return soon. I am in the process of making a animated puppet of the Giant Claw. I make Stop-motion animation films. The Giant Claw was one of my favorites as a kid, I loved it. For years I always wanted to make a figure of the Giant Claw for animation and now I am in the process of completing it. When he is put together I will take pictures of him to send to your website. He will be used in my next film The Giant Claw fly’s again. But who Should he battle? Godzilla? King Kong? The Cobalt Colossal Man? Tristar Godzilla? Well who knows. I going to send a link to one of my stop-motion films. Since this is the month of Halloween I am posting to YouTube my very first film using classic monsters like Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Wolf man. The film is called Frankenstein Demon of Dracula. I will post the link.

• mafutofu

October 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm

damn its so ugly and makes me aggresive just by looking at it

• Nick Woodson

November 21, 2013 at 5:08 pm

This bird is so funny but can kick all of are asses . So call spawn or the x men to deal with it wait x men have a 50 50 chance of winning…..