King Kong (1933)

Mike Matei / October 7th, 2009

Comments

• April 9, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I don’t have the original on DVD, but I do have both the 1976 and 2005 remakes. I know you don’t like the ’76 remake, but I found it to be interesting to watch!

I’m sure the 2005 version is the better remake because of the love and the attention that Peter Jackson had from the original! It may be over three hours long, but the story is all there down to the classic beauty-&-beast relationship.

I actually like the 2005 remake better than the 1933 original because of the epic scope and a much more emotionally involved relationship between Ann and Kong. I think Andy Serkis’ performance as the CG Kong along with Naomi Watts’ Ann Darrow helps the movie, and you can understand the different emotions between these two characters even better than what the 1933 film had to offer!

Don’t get me wrong, I still like the 1933 film and I would love to buy the 2-disc DVD as well!

• John D. Moffat

April 11, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Great review, great movie.

After i watched this i bought the movie and it was brilliant

Shame i can’t enjoy the bonus features on the two disk dvd since they haven’t realesd it in the UK! Very angry about that but o-well

• Lord Moe

April 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I watched this movie for the first time today. It really is one of the best movies ever made.

• June 12, 2010 at 8:22 pm

ALL TIME BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!

• WatchmenFTW

June 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I bet that if there was a list of the Top 100 Movies made ever (and I mean selected by the people who select the winners of the Oscars), then King Kong would probably be in the top 10, maybe the top 5.
    I’ve only seen the Peter Jackson remake, and that was really good too.

• June 28, 2010 at 11:15 pm

The more of these videos I watch, the more respect I end up having for you. I refused to see peter Jackson’s version of King Kong, due to me thinking he would butcher it. But I think I should give it a shot if they used some of these techniques. Plus watching this short makes me want to watch Godzilla Vs. King Kong! My 2 favorite monsters of all time!

• August 30, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Your balls are clapping? Sorry, but that’s a bit disturbing, James. Anyway, you’ve inspired me to high degrees of awesomeness that I can’t do what you’ve done to me justice.

My imagination has improved drastically as I think of many different situations. I still like to pretend, but I my ideas that I act out are ideas that I can put into many different careers. I can act, and I think of a lot of stuff to suit that. I’ve even thought of a Castlevania game that plays like SCV IV, but with a few improvements. I’ve thought of the goriest scenes that you could put in a movie, and many other scenarios that I can think of.

Also, you’ve introduced me to many movies I probably never would’ve watched like the Godzilla franchise, the Hammer Horror films, Ed Wood movies, and pretty much any movie from Monster Madness and your movie reviews. You do much more than make people laugh, you inspire people more than you would think. Out of everyone alive, you are my number #1 person. I’m not a fan to the point that I’d kill you, cause I ain’t crazy, but I’m hardcore to the max. Like, IN YOUR FACE, BITCH!

• asnaes1981

September 19, 2010 at 1:16 pm

This movie always makes me cry at the end. Poor Gorilla.

• supermark64

September 28, 2010 at 12:25 pm

i saw the 70s remake first and i kinda liked it, but the 1933 classic is way better. i never saw the 2005 one though

• October 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I like Citizen Kaine. It’s an excellent film and revolutionary for its time. But thank you so much for calling out every damn film class you’ll ever take. If it isn’t Kaine, it’s freaking Casablanca. You’d think those were the only two movies ever made!

I love stuff like Kong and any early effects film, solely because all of the amazing work that had to go into making those effects work. In the modern cinema, I wish we’d see more practical effects. Unless you go the distance with CGI, it looks like garbage next to stuff like this.

• Hans

October 15, 2010 at 9:00 am

I have the colorized version on DVD.

• RaDioHeaD4life

December 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I just recently took this movie in Film Studies, and I also think that this movie is great. btw, nice video, very informative, you really know what your talking about. Great job James :)

• RaDioHeaD4life

December 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I also agree with Entertainer13

• Wielderofknives

July 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

I got an account just to say this, but I never knew about the great depth and the painstaking work that was used to make this film. I want to thank you because I never knew why this movie was considered so great. Now I see why, and I can’t wait to find a copy of it on DVD to watch and analyze for myself.

• penpan

August 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I saw this as a kid in the 80′s too and was swept away into a land of imagination. The scene where Kong is unveiled in New York had me breathless….thinking about how big the creature would be in real life! The original kicks some of the remake’s ass, mainly due to its ice-skating scene. A real WTF moment. But the original still impresses!

• SpeedyEric

September 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Thank cinema god I just got this masterpiece on Blu-Ray.

• caitseith

October 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

And without King Kong we wouldn’t have Donkey Kong or Jumpman (Mario).

• avgnfan

January 28, 2013 at 7:10 am

I just love this movie all the way, no matter wht people say, this a masterpiece and one of my favorite movies of all time. Oh and review the ’76 remake sometime because I absolutley hat that movie so much I have yet to see it’s sequel!

• Iota

February 17, 2013 at 8:01 am

Another great video, really enjoyed it, but where’s the video in which James talks about his 16mm extended cut of King Kong? I haven’t been able to find it.

• January 21, 2014 at 1:19 pm

This is an amazing movie

• Don Skiver

September 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Citizen Kane is so fucking overrated it makes me sick. Yeah…I’ll give credit where credit is due…lot of great techniques pioneered…but man oh man…is the movie boring as fuck. I’ll take King Kong any day over Citizen Kane.

• Claude Lilford

October 21, 2014 at 10:45 am

This movie reminds me of Jaws in how at the time it was an original idea but since it was so successful they were so many copycats that ‘giant ape’ and ‘killer shark’ movies are a dime a dozen in bargain bins across the planet.
    And yet in both cases the original still comes off as…well original, not to say that I don’t enjoy schlocky ape movies to a degree but Kong to this day still manages to be in a league of his own.