AVGN: Metal Gear

Mike Matei / April 8th, 2009

Watch this video on Youtube

Comments

• mrCrumpet

May 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm

The spelling of “gray” as “grey” isn’t a typo. It’s the British spelling. Fuck knows how it got in there. And fuck knows why the rest of the translation is so bad. It’s fun to speculate about how bad video game translations happen. Japanese people with little more than high-school level English conversation ability do it themselves in the mistaken belief that they are capable of writing production-quality English. Or it gets translated by English speakers but then edited because people at the Japanese company can’t leave shit alone and think they know better than a native speaker, so you get their “corrected” English as the translation. It’s funny to imagine that maybe a native English translator wrote the plural “The trucks have started to move” because they weren’t given any context with the translation that would indicate that it should be singular and not plural (this happens all the time), which was then edited by some moron “English expert” at the Japanese company who thinks that just removing the “s” will make everything OK. Most times going with the plural is your best bet as a translator. Often if you ask, the Japanese customer isn’t responsive for various reasons (usually they’re just dicks). How the fuck were they not embarrassed to publish these sorts of translations? It’s pride and ignorance that’s endemic to the translation industry in Japan. Sadly, many Japanese customers still believe that they know “proper” English better than native speakers do, although video game translations seem to have gotten slightly better over the years. Anyway, odds are that this one (given the date) was translated from scratch by Japanese “English experts”, but I guess I’ll never know. I wish we could get the people responsible for this sort of shit and ridicule them in public. I guess from this rant you can tell that I’m traumatized by this sort of fucking crap.

• chap0598

June 8, 2010 at 1:12 am

The “Grey” part wasn’t the typo he was talking about. It was the “…missing our ‘Grey Fox’”. “Our” and “missing” was suppose to be switched around.

• Zelda_Boy

June 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Um……they HAVE had a Legend of Zelda with no Zelda. Link’s Awakening doesn’t have Zelda in it, and She’s only in Majora’s Mask for a 12 second flashback. thats it. just thought I’d let you know.

• June 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm

“i feel asleep” )))))0
    i laughed so hard. ohh..these NES games….

• kamakazi geek

July 9, 2010 at 3:23 pm

where did you learn to fly x2000

• kamakazi geek

July 9, 2010 at 4:01 pm

the spelling mistakes are pretty awful
    i’ve never played a metal gear solid game but the fourth one looks pretty damn good.
    cod rules forever though
    funny vid james :)

• granado_jake

January 11, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Cod is mediocre to terrible at best. MGS 4 is a movie, you are better off watching the cutscenes on youtube. MGS1 Twin snakes on the gamecube and Metal gear sold 2 are your best bets.

The Hd remakes of the PSP version can’t hurt either, as peacewalker has MUCH superior controls

• JT84

July 15, 2010 at 3:08 am

i hate this version. Not only is it bad and incredibly frustrating, translated horrible and devoid of metal gear it’s incredibly easy and they changed the level layouts, not to mention you’re supposed to start at the first building not out in the jungle. Stupid and needless controller destruction. And it’s way too easy once you figure everything out and develop your skill. Get the MSX version. This game can’t even compare to that. It should be erased from the Nes library. The only good thing it has in it is the sound which is typical nes goodness especially the ending theme.

• Fantasy Forest

July 19, 2010 at 9:45 pm

@kamakazi – Play the original Metal Gear Solid for Playstation. It’s in my top ten list for sure.

• July 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm

SNAAAAAKE!!! ITS NOT OVER YET!!!

• supermark64

August 5, 2010 at 11:29 pm

i wish the japaneese version was released in america so i could play it. it looks awesome!

• Shiirow

August 26, 2010 at 11:59 am

COD? do you mean the call of duty series? comparing call of duty and metal gear is like comparing cat shit with horse shit… they are both shit but come two completely different animals…

• phoenix252005

October 6, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Thats why its so much better to play the playstation versions cause the 3-D aspect actualy makes it easier! Duh!! lol Long Live the Nerd!!

• DwElist

October 10, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Awesome game i love it very hard but very addicting i love this game

• FlyingR

October 21, 2010 at 5:12 pm

@mrCrumpet Yeah, these things are option, but aren’t you being a bit too harsh on the japanese without proof? I mean, unless you work with japan and translations and have seen these kind of troubles personally, which then would back up your arguments nicely, I think perhaps the problems could lie on our side of the world. Have you ever studied japanese grammar and writing? They have 3 types of writing, one of which as you may have heard is the kanjis. These are the symbols for the bases of verbs and nouns, and there are well over 2000 kanjis. The average japanese gets to know about 500 of them. These symbols, as you may have seen already, always look different from each other and sometimes two, three or more are needed to form a verb.
    So try to imagine the situation: You are a translator at the US or UK with this huge amount of lines which need translation, you are supposed to keep it as faithful to the original as possible and only then hits you that perhaps your japanese isn’t as good as you previously thought. Or hell, even try to imagine that the translators just knew 20% of what was written on the texts and since then there wasn’t much proof-reading (as we can suppose from other games), they just improvised and shrugged off this burden and went to the next job. Plus, communications weren’t as ‘effective’ as it is nowadays, so they couldn’t ask the whole time about what was really meant.

Your arguments are valid, sir. But I think they are a bit too biased.

• phoenix252005

October 22, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I cant believe they had the cohones to put the name Metal Gear on it when Metal Gear isnt even in the game!!! Why couldbt they just keep the original game!! It just goes to show,why try to fix somthin that isnt even broken?!?? THe Nerd Rules!!

• SpeedyEric

October 25, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I love the version of the theme song in the intro of this episode.

3:08- If you think THAT’S weird, the main character on the cover of Contra is Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator.

Man, Metal Gear on the NES is a jumbled-up mess of a classic game.

• IamSecret

October 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Funny as always. (:

• Dirty Jared

November 3, 2010 at 3:36 pm

@supermark64 Get Metal Gear solid 3 Subsistence on the ps2. It comes with the original MSX versions of metal gear 1 and 2

• GWARior

November 19, 2010 at 8:54 pm

its just shit!

• December 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm

@Dirty Jared: The Substience version of MG2 was flawed. The game required a manual as one sequence required you to translate a code. Also, Metal Gear for MSX contained a lot of the trapdoor\gasmask\bridge bullshit that you mentioned here. The menus and respawning enemies were probably a little less fucked, and there are plenty of things wrong with the NES port, but the truth is: original Metal Gear kinda sucked too. It contained a lot of poor game design ideas, like being required to randomly punch walls, and the end boss was fail. Hideo Kojima claims the original was a poor remake, but it was a poor remake of a game that, while innovative, was a stupid confusing mess to start with. And those trucks are ass.

• March 2, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Hey James, YouTube flagged this video! You might want to look into it!

• Cataphract

March 14, 2011 at 12:04 am

I can’t get over how they ripped off T1 for the cover.

• Darylwolf

April 30, 2011 at 8:58 pm

by god some people had a fucking lot to complain in this forum its incredible.

• Default_Username

May 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I liked this game, but it did have some serious shit in it. But man, you GOTTA review Snake’s Revenge!

• darkscots

July 8, 2011 at 10:08 am

look closely at the 2 jeeps in the area with dogs, there is 1 blending in with the jeep. classic game fuck up.

• DemonOfGaming

July 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I am a massive Metal Gear fan, I own every single game in the series and each version (Boxed and complete), it is also my favorite game (MGS PS1) so when I seen you where reviewing Metal Gear I was like oh shit, so much for liking AVGN, but this is actually totally fair. The NES version is not shit, but it ain’t half as good as the MSX2 version. The other game on the NES “Snakes Revenge” is an absolute pile of donkey snot liquid (Fuck knows what that means), but really though Snakes Revenge is the biggest load of fucking shit and an insult to the rest of series.

• ELJohnnyo

August 23, 2011 at 7:49 pm

There is a book that came out that explains the other 3 guys that parachuted out of the plane. And the book also reveals Solid Snake’s true name. I read it back in the 6th grade. Took me like 2 school days to read. It basically described the video game with more detail and also gave tips and hints on how to pass several levels..

• Snejku

September 16, 2011 at 5:54 am

Obviously my very nick indicates that I’m a big fan of this game series, I just think it’s tragic that they never ported a version of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake to the SNES, the game series would have gotten way more attention back then if they had because that game in specific, is way before it’s time. But sure enough, that could have altered the series all together and MGS 1, 2 and so forth may not had been the same today. Anyway, keep up the good work.

• crossova212

September 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm

“You sun of a bitch!” LOL

• DerekStrickland

September 22, 2011 at 5:39 am

This game tortured me as a kid. I remember seeing the cover and thinking “Oh man, this game HAS to be good, just look at the cover!”I was wrong. So wrong.

• ashxu

October 3, 2011 at 5:42 am

“It’s like having legend of zelda with no zelda”

funny you mention that, Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages actually didn’t have Zelda UNLESS you beat one of the games and entered the password you got at the end into the other. Even then she plays a VERY minor part. Mid way through the game you’re informed you need to save her, you go through a short dungeon and bam that’s over and done with.

So unless you owned both games technically Zelda wasn’t even in the game.

Just a bit of random Trivia I guess.

• mattg1

January 3, 2012 at 1:20 am

There is also, Link’s Awaking, and Majora’s Mask, ( if you don’t count the flash back)

• NeverTooOld

December 10, 2013 at 6:21 am

You should really read others comments before posting THE SAME SHIT!

• sionibob

October 27, 2011 at 1:21 pm

just realised kyle rhees’ receiver has a triforce!

• Nintendo_Frog

December 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm

If you look overall the entire NES collection, it still has it’s place in the “good games” list.

Of course, if you get to play an MSX translated version, do prefer this one to the NES version.

• Tekkenfan

December 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I think solid snake is better than the character in this game.

• heeropat

December 27, 2011 at 7:58 pm

the mgs hd collection has both metal gear and metal gear 2 from the msx yes the original msx game on the 360 and ps3

• ArunKenth

January 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm

This game pisses me off so much ¬_¬

• Jordanv78

January 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Metal Gear was a cool game for the NES at the time. Although it has it’s problems it was still a fun game for it’s time. Just not as good as the MSX version.

• JaysonGeronca

January 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm

There should be a Metal Gear live action movie.

Hey guys, check out “X-Men-A-Thon Part 1: X-Men Movie Review”

@ G-Jays Productions!

More movie reviews and DVD’s @ http://g-jays.blogspot.com/2012/01/x-men-thon-part-1.html

• bustaboy

January 26, 2012 at 12:06 am

sadly ive never played the original or the usa edition of metal gear

• JaysonGeronca

February 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

G-JAYS Game Zone ! – “Your online shopping center”

Xbox Live Gold Membership (12 months), Wii, Xbox, PS3, PC, Kinect, and games for all consoles now available at G-Jays.

“Top 10 Video Games of All Time” also available, Visit us at http://g-jays.blogspot.com/2012/02/g-jays-gameone.html

• UnholyAcorn

February 21, 2012 at 4:09 pm

you can’t polish a turd but you can role it in glitter

• Macmeister

March 13, 2012 at 11:19 am

I didn’t expect that this game would recieve this much hate. But it is the nerd of course.

• punisher62690

May 10, 2012 at 1:28 am

Please do an MSX video ive never seen one before

• gogatsu

May 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Thanks for the Zelda hint. I am playing the original Zelda for the first time and was like “WTF IS THIS SHIT?!?!”

• ZzZimmy02

August 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I played that game on my friends ipod…. his ipod was jail broken though

• Newcastle

November 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I tried this game back when it came out and was my first introduction to RPG style games…….HATED IT! Great review on a frustrating game.

• metalcommand

January 14, 2013 at 3:36 am

‘Couldn’t he tell you before you step in the room?’ Big boss is actually the enemy in the game, so he deliberately tries to get you killed ;)

• February 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Majora’s mask is a legend of zelda with no zelda James, XD ,but it still makes sense.

• Slyjay

June 23, 2013 at 4:16 am

majoras mask was a joke though

• JT

October 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Majora’s Mask I would put as the worst. You’re just doing side quests and you can do a dungeon now and then with a tiny window to beat it.

• February 20, 2013 at 9:51 pm

i had this as a kid did not know what the fuck i was playing

• GunParade

April 29, 2013 at 1:20 pm

if you pick up the m.g.s. hd collection they got the two original msx games.

• Brennan Martinez

May 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 is, in my opinion, the best 1 in the series. It’s one of my top 5 favorite video games of all time, in fact.

• Slyjay

June 23, 2013 at 4:15 am

I did like this game when I was a kid, but allot of it was a pain in the ass.

• bill turner

August 18, 2013 at 6:04 pm

mgs4 was too sick ! Old Snake !

• JT

October 25, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I have a lot of fun with the nes version. Dropping you into a jungle and making your way to the 3 buildings as opposed to just starting out in front of the 1st of the buildings and only having a couple screens in between each one I always found a lot cooler.

• Aaron1375

November 18, 2013 at 3:07 am

It always disappointed me that when I got to the end I never even got to see or fight the Metal Gear machine the game was named for. Strange they omitted this in our version…makes me wonder why?

• December 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Like most Japanese versions of games, Metal Gear the final boss was probably too difficult.. Or so they thought..
      HA, kinda like how Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan was a completely different version than the one we got. Sure its hard, I mean extremely fuckin hard, but just cause a game is too hard doesn’t mean we should be overlooked. In this case, they couldn’t port the game to NES, but instead just re created it altogether, so either they “forgot” to put Metal Gear into his own game, or they just didn’t.

• Air Wolf

December 7, 2013 at 8:21 am

I bet the original is better then that game.

• pokemario99

February 6, 2014 at 8:03 pm

thanks for putting it here. i couldn’t see it on youtube because some idiot flagged it.

• Omochao

February 9, 2014 at 1:00 pm

This was the first NES game I ever played, after picking it up from a relative, as well as a beat up system. (I grew up in the N64/Gamecube era >.<) It seemed cool and I just assumed I majorly sucked at it. I've still never gotten the gun. ._.