His Name Was Jason – Outtakes

Mike Matei / February 19th, 2009

Many fans were shocked to see me in the Friday the 13th documentary DVD set “His Name Was Jason.” I have to admit, it felt very surreal to me also. When I was asked to record my own commentary, it was an incredible honor, so naturally, I tried my best. I rambled for several minutes and gave them plenty to work with, hoping that even 2 seconds of my material would make it into the final cut. And I was glad to see they were able to use quite a bit. I have a brief moment in the main feature, talking about my AVGN Friday the 13th review. Then, under the “Fan films” menu, a slightly cut-down edition of my AVGN review is included with a special introduction by myself, knowing that many Friday the 13th fans would be seeing it. Also, under the “Dragged into the lake” menu, there is a short commentary where I’m talking about the moment in Jason Takes Manhattan where he kicks the stereo. As for the rest of the stuff I recorded that didn’t make it in, I thought you might like to see it. I talked about whatever I thought might fit in a documentary like that. Basically, I rambled as much as I could. I also go into a little “show & tell” session where I describe my fanboy experience, getting autographs from Kane Hodder (Jason in Parts 7,8,9,X) and Betsy Palmer (Mrs. Vorhees). Thought you might find it interesting, but it is just me being a fan.

Comments

• tveliotis12

April 8, 2010 at 9:29 pm

WOW! Its cool to see a video of yours that I have not seen yet. James, Im a huge fan of all your work and you have inspired me to become a director. Keep on making great videos!

• nerdfanokc82

May 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I got on a brief Friday the 13th stint and decided to watch all the movies. I saw the documentary about the series at the video store and since I love documentaries, I rented it. They started talking about the NES game Friday the 13th, and I smiled thinking of AVGN’s review of it. All of sudden, the Nerd pops up and starts talking about it. I was so thrilled. I didn’t think they could seriously talk about that game and not have the Nerd mentioned. AVGN rocks!!!

• armyN64

May 24, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Apparently,Palema is a TOTAL FUCKING BITCH in the movie,but Betsy Palmer is actually very nice.How ironic that she actually got that that part.I mean seriously,in the movie,she a crazy bitch,hell-bent on revenge.The one thing that pissed me off to begin with is that she didn’t need revenge.She wants revenge for an accidental death.All that happened was Jason drowned because the kids weren’t paying attention.i mean,it was only an accident.Get over it.

• September 13, 2013 at 8:28 pm

There’s a bit of a difference between an “accident” and “gross negligence.”

• ulmuchiha

May 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm

interesting

• WatchmenFTW

July 2, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I see what you mean when you say nobody knows who Jason is until you just mention “Jason”, except nowadays, with younger people, peope won’t know Jason Voorhees but they’ll imediately recognise him with a hokcye mask. I remember a Malcolm in the Middle episode where Reese is pretending to be crazy so he has two masks to choose from, a Jason mask or a Hannibal Lector mask. The dialogue goes.

“Who should I wear, Hannibal Lector, or hokcye mask?”

I was pissed off when he didn’t say Jason Voorhees, I know it’s only a little thing but still, it shows that Jason is becoming more and more forgotten in pop culture, sad.

I really wanna get the Friday the 13th boxset soon.

• CrazyA.M.

August 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Haha Ive Really Noticed That Too! Ill Be Talking To My Friends Or Somethin And Say Jason Voorhees And Theyll Say “Who The Fuck Is That?” And Then Ill Just Say Jason And Theyll Get It. lol

• September 5, 2010 at 12:59 am

Same for me as with CrazyA.M. I was talking to me friends, one of which coincidentally has the name Jason, and I was like, “Jason Voorhees is awesome.” (Yes, I said it out of the blue like that) They all looked at me, turned to Jason, then turned back to me and looked at me like I was an idiot. I stared at each of them from a couple seconds, shook my head in shame, and said Friday the 13th as I walked away.

Seriously, shits-for-brains friends.

• despeinado samurai

November 7, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I born in the birthday of kane hooder, april 8 and that is AWESOME!!!!!

• BraveSirBevier

November 12, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Are you saying you guys are in the actual documentary? Awesome! I think I remember you saying you met Tom Savini. Did you get to meet any others? I saw Seth Green was in there.

• Dgamer21

January 9, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Just a question. Are you going to post your appearance in “Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy” documentary?

• Thatguy55

November 4, 2011 at 8:01 am

Hey James, I was actually shocked that I saw that you wen to Monster Mania Con, that convention is so awesome. I actually met Kane Hodder as well back in June. Along with everyone else who played Jason. That was a badass experience. And just in case you didn’t know (which you probably do) there’s another convention at Cherry Hill, NJ on March 9-11th. Can’t wait to see Robert Englund!

• Doogrisa

January 30, 2012 at 11:36 pm

cool

• Kuuenbu

February 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm

You should’ve given “Motherfucker Mike” Matei the credit he deserved >:(

• Hastaj00

December 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

mah real name is Jason; never thought much of this series though. I watched the first one high as sin when I was like 18, all I could think was how is this ranked along side the horror classics of that period (1980?). Just sooooo low budget, no direction, anything, all making any sort of real ‘pathos’ or psychological underpinnings nonexistent. then again, I was really high. but God it was bad. Couldn’t compare to the Halloweens (which are meh imo, or Carpenter’s best horror film The Thing), Nightmare on Elm Steet’s, Child’s Play, The Exorcist(s’). forget what else there is/was. Never saw the sequels, but find it hard to believe it could have gone anywhere but… downhill after the first.

• Hastaj00

December 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm

i lied.. just because this is the only movie I’ve watched and obsessed over a bit in the past many months, I shall shoooooooot a scene, that has nothing to do with Jason, the 13th, or anything really. Except that really, in many ways, it is a kind of horror film. Like The Shining (which I forgot, 1980 too#%*). Only World War I. Stanley Kubrick’s first masterpiece, Spielberg has said in an interview it’s one of his favorite films and showed it to his friends or whatever the night Kubrick died in 1998. the first minute or minute 30 inparticular… just yikes, 1957, he made this, at age 29. aptly portrays the HORRRRRROR the french kindly had to go through in the great war fighting the much-advanced germans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtVNDvwGMo