Alien Invaders Part 1

Mike Matei / January 19th, 2009

Alien Invaders Part 1

Comments

• April 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm

The original Day the Earth Stood Still is way better than the remake! It does a better job telling a compelling story without being too stupid! Plus I had to ask, what’s the point of remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still if you didn’t include the classic line “Klaatu Barada Nikto?”

I didn’t see the original Thing, but I first saw the remake on SyFy and found it pretty slow! But on a repeat viewing on Netflix, it definitely gets better! So you were definitely on the money about the remake!

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers is surprisingly entertaining featuring what might be the best special effects Ray Harryhausen has ever made! I saw both Mars Attacks and Independence Day when they first came out on VHS and I like them both, but Independence Day is better for obvious reasons!

• May 10, 2010 at 7:12 am

The Day the Earth Stood Still looks really awesome, GORK or something, he is just soo amazing XD
    I was wonder from my year as child were the character were from, now i know :D

MARS ATTACK: With awesome flying sausacers 83, and an awesome movie :D

• ultimate650

May 30, 2010 at 7:08 am

you should make a top 10 gross-out movies

• vinamon13

June 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm

n you tube theres a set of games “the adventures of remus”, and the enemies come from outer space, assimilatete things into their bodies, and look inside out. sound familiar

• WatchmenFTW

July 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I liked the remake of the Day the Earth Stood Still, Gort was awesome on how he could turn into that cload that ate man-made objects, but I would’ve prefered it if he had gone around as the normal robot. I saw the actual prop of the 1950s Gort in Planet Hollywood in Florida, it was pretty cool.
    As for the Thing, I’ve not seen it but I heard that the effects were pretty wierd. John Carpenter is awesome at horror movies, he’ll be one of the best horror movie directors of all time in my opinion. If this remake does come into fruition, then just god damn it better have a good director.
    Finally Earth vs the Flying Saucers, I can definately see James that you’re a big fan of Ray Harryhousen’s work like in your Top 10 Movie Monster List. I never saw it but I have seen Independence Day and I thought the aliens were pretty cool, I love the part where the scientist gets possessed by one of the aliens. I really like it despite what people say.

• EmTheSmasher

July 16, 2010 at 7:58 pm

The enemy “Starman” from the video game “Earthbound” is based off of Gort the robot from The Day The Earth Stood Still.

• July 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Did Al gore make the day the earth stood still remake?

• venom 51007

August 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm

LOL when me and my niece tamara were watching this and we saw the end we both looked out the window at the sky.

• Art1234

August 28, 2010 at 8:09 pm

“Klaatu Barada NIkto” I first heard that line in Army of of Darkness. I don’t see why that movie wasn’t called EVIL DEAD 3, but thats a different subject.

• October 3, 2010 at 7:57 am

The Thing remake looks repulsive… that neck stretching and breaking… eugh…
    I agree with you 100% about The Day The Earth Stood Still, it’s a fantastic film with a remake that, though unnecessary, did its thing.
    Earth vs The Flying Saucers looks cool. I’m a big fan of Harryhausen and I still gotta see that one.

• February 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Inlike all the original of this part.. it’s shame in Mexico this movies are hard to find.. Nice review ! :D

• Seven81493

March 11, 2011 at 8:47 pm

The new version of “The Thing” is slated for release October 14th of this year, and apparently is a prequel to “John Carpenter’s The Thing”, which essentially makes it a remake of the original “The Thing From Another World”, as it is about the people in the video that discovered to space ship.

• MarcRollins89

June 6, 2011 at 9:22 am

I love both versions of The Things and I like John Carpenter a lot. I have to say that I probably prefer the remake to the original(which is never, ever the case with me. I don’t think I like any other remakes more than the original.)

I would say that the 1980 version is more of a suspense/mystery/horror than a sci-fi flick and I think that’s the huge difference. Look at a lot of Carpenter’s other movies, they’re mostly horror flicks with sci-fi elements.

I love these reviews and this is a very comprehensive movie list, great stuff!

• eltopo

June 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love the 1982 version of The Thing but I have yet to see the original. I didn’t even know the Carpenter version was a remake until after watching it and learning more about the film.

I was kind of dissapointed you didn’t mention Ennio Morricone’s soundtrack for The Thing which was awesome! Honestly I think its an amazing film with great acting, directing, story, effects, music, and I love movies with ambigous endings so that was a plus. I don’t understand the complaints that its a bit slow, it just builds up so the paranoia in the charchters increases as does the violence.

• July 14, 2011 at 9:15 pm

actually james , the new movie of the thing is no longer a remake. the new film , releasing in october this year , is a prequel to the original remake by john carpenter. universal was finally conviced to keep it in the same universe since the remake was perfect already , and the prequel is going to be set around the norwegian crew days before the events of the 1982 remake. set to release in theaters by universal studios on october 24 , 2011.

I did get to see the remake on encore , and it is by far one of the best remakes I have ever seen , period. and I am very glad to say that I really like this film. the reason for it’s slow build up is actually something we dont get to see anymore , because it builds the tension in a closterphobic and isolated area. and if you cant survive by the thing imitating you , you cant escape either because of the freezing cold weather. even the ending was clear that even if they defeated the thing , they may not make it out alive due to the weather in antartica can get far bellow zero degrees.

also , the entire cast was male. not a single female character was cast in this film. a fun little trivia I might add.

to this day , john carpenter’s the thing is a cult classic. and one of john carpenter’s best works with others being halloween and escape from new york.

bottom line , I like john carpenter’s the thing , and I’m looking forward to the new 2011 thing film. ^-^

• JAMESROLFEISAWESOME

July 18, 2011 at 11:48 am

HOLY CRAP! THEY’RE REMAKING THE THING AGAIN!

• Blackidna

July 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I think what really tops it off in John Carpenter’s remake of The Thing is the blood test scene, it’s not just the most nerve wrecking part of that movie, I consider it also the most grotesquely funny scene in the movie, from the discovery of who’s the Thing (that screaming is just fucking hilarious) to the “OMFG I’m gonna shit in my pants now!” face expression on Nauls. I just crack myself up every single time I watch it.

• Mr. Sinematic

November 12, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Will somebody please tell me the name of the song James uses in the beginning

• ThrowntoReality

January 3, 2012 at 6:51 pm

It’s from “Plan 9 from Outer Space”, but I don’t know if it has a name.

• carlosccdvm

November 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I liked all these movies except the remake Day the Earth Stood Still. It was somewhat entertaining, but I thought that the message was lost amongst a lot of BS. Only Keanu seemed right for the role he played. I agree that Cleese needed to be in the movie more.

• rushkid2112

December 6, 2011 at 4:52 am

Does everybody dislike Independence day? I think it has a good message of the entire world putting there differences aside for one last chance at freedom. Ok, maybe it is a little cheesy but I still like it.

• DonSkiver

December 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I remember when I saw Independence Day for the first time. I saw it at what we used to call a “Drive-In Theater”. The scene where the white house blew up was just awesome. Before I was a jaded, cynical adult, movies like this were great. Now, they’re just kinda mindless. I don’t know why I can’t enjoy films like this anymore. It makes me sad. :(

• videogamehunter820

January 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

Personally, Carpenter’s The Thing is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. The good things you said about this movie I agree with. The paranoia and suspense all build from the isolation, the cold, the wind, and knowing that there’s a monster lurking somewhere among the only people within miles. I LOVE that idea. You do have good points about the amount of gore, and I guess is was maybe a little too much. But since the thing is an alien that copies other people, it had to be very organic and not cartoonish. I like the characters in both films. The remake’s characters may have seemed dull, but they were also realistic. They’re just a bunch of guys alone in Antartica, so there wouldn’t really be many colorful personalities. They would be ornary and serious. I still love the original, it’s a classic, but I like the remake more. The newest one (a prequel) was pretty good; nothing great but entertaining for the fans IMO. Grwat video!

• Starcraft39

February 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm

James, thank you for showing the world the wonders of practical effects! My favorite part is at about 8 minutes, you know what line.

• bakatyler

May 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm

The reason the thing is being remade again is to point out that it CANNOT FICKIN DIE!!!
    It will stay with us for ever, until they make another video game mabey…

THE THING!!!

• Wendell Parker

June 16, 2012 at 8:17 am

Did we really need a fucking prequel to John Carpenter’s “The Thing”?

Still haven’t watched it because I don’t want it to ruin the image I had in my head of what happened in the Norwegian base. But based on the Brad Jones review, I was right not to see it!

• LegallyBlindGamer

October 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm

James, how could you forget the Independence Day reference in Star Fox 64? That almost makes the Katina mission another remake of Earth vs. the Flying Saucers.

• geramul

October 30, 2012 at 1:41 am

Wendell, the 2011 remake of The Thing is actually not that bad. It’s missing something that the 1982 version had though. I loved the 1982 version, but I didn’t think the 2011 version was bad. A lot of people gave it bad reviews and that kind of surprised me. I’m no expert movie critic, but I wouldn’t say the 2011 version is terrible. Certainly better than say… piranha 3D or snakes on a plane, yes?

• HomingMissiles

March 31, 2013 at 2:25 am

The original Day the Earth Stood Still is one of my favorites sci-fi movies ever. Frankly, is one of the few I can appreciate a little bit beyond the usual camp value. Recently I found that it was also one of Arthur Clarke’s favorite science fiction movies, which is funny to think since it does have a few parallels to his novel “Childhood’s End” (mainly in the idea that a good-willed superior alien race would land on Earth to advance mankind).

• cheetor5150

June 21, 2013 at 8:11 am

I would say the only real time a remake of a movie based on a book should be done if the original strayed far from the book like john carpenters the thing

• December 13, 2013 at 7:42 pm