Return to Oz (1985)

Mike Matei / December 9th, 2008

Return To Oz

Comments

• A.Regular-Person

April 12, 2010 at 8:11 pm

That movie is messed up. I’ve never seen it, but i think i might give it a watch. Though, when i saw Dorothy’s new friends, i expected a replacement for the tinman, but i also expected a replacement for the lion, lke another talking animal or something.

I’ve never read one book, and probably never plan to, but i’m hoping for a remake, but have a perfect blend of CGI and reality, like they had in both movies, makes me wonder ho they did the flying monkey scene in the first movie.

The wheelers are just creepy. Their laugh is too. and the desert that kills you, what the hell, have they seen the first movie, they must’ve expected kids to see it.

last thing to say, a chicken, were the directors on D*ug* or was the author, and what happen to Toto anyway.

• May 4, 2010 at 2:57 am

um…. wow, scary.. how old is this movie? :O

• Sleepercar

May 5, 2010 at 1:12 am

This movie is awesome and very dark for a kids movie.

• CharlieBrownGhostAss

June 15, 2010 at 3:35 pm

“Evil Dead” & “Spiderman” diretor Sam Raimi has just been signed to direct a 3D prequel to “The Wizard of Oz” called “Oz: The Great and Powerful”.

• craigj

August 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm

“and the desert that kills you, what the hell, have they seen the first movie”
    They got it from the source material, smart guy. If anything it’s the first movie that was a weird adaptation, getting hopped up on prozac and replacing things like the Tin Man chopping off animal heads with happy musical numbers. But try telling kids today that Return to Oz was the normal one.

They’re both classics in their own rights, though.

• Matu

August 7, 2010 at 8:14 am

I know you like Wizard of Oz but I hate it. This one is awesome though.

• August 11, 2010 at 3:51 am

I think most people who “get” your reviews are in their late twenties, early thirties. Me, I’m 28, so there you go. Seems like you have a lot of younger fans who have never heard of this shit. That’s cool. Gotta hear about it somewhere.

I saw this shit when it came out on VHS or BETA, probaby got it from the library like I did everything else, and yeah, it scared the shit out of me. “Beware of the Wheelers,” holy fuck… I had nightmares for like ten years after I saw those bastards. I always hated villains with long arms or legs, like Freddy in that one scene in the original Nightmare movie. Some trippy shit here.

• Hourglass

August 12, 2010 at 9:32 pm

It does awfully tense for something intended to be a children’s movie. I wonder what the books must be like? (I’ve never read any of the Oz series.)

At any rate, good review as always. I especially liked the comment you made late in the video about it being nice to see a fantasy film without all the modern-day CG in it.

Any chance you’d consider doing a review of some of the other popular fantasy movies from the 80’s? Ones such The Neverending Story, The Princess Bride, Willow, The Dark Crystal and of course, Labyrinth.

• WatchmenFTW

September 5, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I wonder if what James thought of will come true, with Tim Burton remaking the Wizard of Oz?
    Anyway, wierd film.

• Imgema

September 23, 2010 at 5:45 am

I kinda like this movie more than the original. Its just that i prefer depressing, bizarre and spooky movies rather than lighthearted musicals.

• ONIMUSHA11

September 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm

i honestly shit myself when i saw the wheelers for the first time…and had nightmares for years

• zdog95ster

October 7, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I didnt remember this movie until you started talking about the robot dude

• October 11, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I for one actually liked this film. In it’s own way, it’s entertaining

• Dgamer21

October 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Wizard of Oz is the most cherished movie of all time.

• kawamura2

October 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm

You know, I remember seeing this in the theater as a child, and then on VHS later on. I recently (like 6 months ago) watched this again, and it freaked me out as an adult in some parts, but i don’t remember being scared as a kid watching this and other “kid” movies that were dark and scary. I never had nightmares or anything. I think a lot of the people in charge of kids’ entertainment in the 80s knew kids could handle some pretty deep stuff. Most all of the shows/movies i watched as a child, re-watching them as an adult, i see a theme of shows being dark and scary, but i never remember having nightmares. They were just entertaining to me as a child. These days though, everything is watered and dumbed down for kids. I always said if i ever had my own kids, I would introduce them to shows/movies I loved as a kid. I wouldn’t let my kids watch some of the crap masquerading as kid friendly entertainment these days.

• Bongogustav

October 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm

yeah. i can agree it’s kind of creepy at some parts, but aside off that it’s a good movie. one thing i was stunned to find out about is that: in the movie Dorothy recives Electroconvulsive therapy treatment, wich is the same thing Judy garland the one who played Dorothy in the 1939 adaption went through. life sure is full of mystery, and a lot of hardships that many would want to avoid.

• Lort

November 22, 2010 at 6:37 pm

This was the movie I watched whenever I stayed home sick. Princess Mombi was pretty damn scary, but the Wheelers were the ones who gave me nightmares. I never liked clowns, but clowns on wheels?! Fuck that.

Good movie, though. Yeah, it scared the shit out of me, but it was written well, and Fairuza Balk did a great job. I recommend it to anyone who hasn’t seen it already.

• AtticMan

December 3, 2010 at 5:56 pm

You know what? It’s been close to 15 years since I saw this movie as a little kid, and I just woke up sweating from a nightmare about that Mombi scene. God dammit.

Good times though, that was a childhood classic.

• GamersUnite

December 19, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I think i know what happend to toto…….When Dorothy first went insane……. Maybe she ate Toto!!!!

• GamersUnite

December 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm

maybe dorothy was just on an acid trip after drinking vodka And Drain-O at the same time

• natethegreat911

March 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Dude, the pumpkin guy looks like a character from ” Nightmare Before Christmas”. lol

• chrisRAWRZ

March 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm

ive never seen the return to oz but that part with all the faces screaming scared me..if i was a kid in theaters id cover my ears and close my eyes.

• May 31, 2011 at 11:16 am

Watching that spinning head bit bit with my eyes closed brought back all those nightmares I got as a kid from watching this (I was like 5, then at 9 I thought I was grown up enough…I was wrong).

• fcabanski

June 19, 2011 at 4:18 am

There were 14 Oz books written by Baum, and 40 official Oz books. There are over 100 Oz books total (official and unofficial) as well as an entire Russian Oz series.

• lindseykal

July 16, 2011 at 1:54 am

I wasn’t allowed to watch Scooby Doo because it was “too scary” but I was allowed to rent this all the time. I don’t understand the logic, I doubt my Mom ever saw it, probably thought it was a happy Wizard of Oz movie. The wheelers were my #1 movie scare as a child!

• July 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Perhaps one of my favorite movies of ALL TIME!!! Worth owning!!!!!!!

• shadowblood95

August 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

saddly you left alot out ,but i do love your points…i love this movie soo much i wach it at least 2 times a year

• Debtor

August 8, 2011 at 10:40 am

Never saw this movie, but now I know where American McGee’s Alice got it’s idea.

• Firewall_Philip_Hanan

October 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm

What’s up with the Ghost of Christmas Present trapped in stone?

• CaryCornelius

December 2, 2011 at 11:08 am

Totally another scary as hell movie from my childhood that both terrified and amazed me, I often wonder if the pumpkin scarecrow was the inspiration for Jack the Pumpkin King from Nightmare Before Christmas, or if it the show inspired American McGee’s Alice.

• ermac173

March 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

not kidding when i first watched this i thought sky had fucked up their listings

• Oswards306

August 14, 2012 at 3:14 pm

This film is also an underrated classic

• February 13, 2014 at 7:51 am

I’ve always liked Return to Oz more the the famous one with Judy Garland. i like dark films so Return to Oz was more up my alley

• toonbat

February 13, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I absolutely loved the look and personality of Tic Toc, which makes this movie awesome for me. I was mesmerized when I saw him, trying desperately to figure out how they pulled it off, and now that I know how, I’m no less impressed and disbelieving. He deserves a lot more internet love.

I’m less fond of Jack Pumpkinhead, who looks pretty awesome and seems like a sweetheart, but he just sounds more like a man-child than an actual child, which makes his fixation on the very young Dorothy as his ‘mom’ seem disturbing at times.

• Fred . Fuchs

April 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Yeah, the Mombi scene is one the scenes that scared me the most as a kid, along with Morla from the Neverending Story and the demon dogs from Ghostbusters.

• Fred . Fuchs

April 8, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Oh, and the stop-motion effects are FANTASTIC, maybe the best I’ve ever seen.