A Chat with Tom Savini

Mike Matei / November 21st, 2008

At Blobfest, Phoenixville PA, 2008, I had the opportunity to chat with horror movie legendĀ Tom Savini, known best for his work in special effects & makeup, also actor and director.

Comments

• April 8, 2010 at 9:40 am

Tom Savini is AWESOME!

• CenobiteKosor

April 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm

He’s such an easy guy to talk to.

• Stant666

April 27, 2010 at 8:47 am

Also awesome in Planet Terror :D

• April 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm

i love how he’s a makeup artist and an actor

• gemini_dragon

May 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm

id be like TOM WHAT THE FUCK IS UP

• Vicious

June 1, 2010 at 2:03 am

I guess Savini is kind of an intense cat, kinda of reminds me of when I met Henry Rollins who is much more intense. Shoulda asked him what tarintino or clooney is like.

• Wesley26508

June 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

Savini came off arrogant to me, and insulted you a couple times. He is a bit intense, but a lot of Vietnam vets are. Overall I think he made himself look like an ass. Not cool to brandish a knife like your a badass to a couple of huge film fans like you guys are. From what I seen, I dont think I would care for him in person.

• A.Regular-Person

June 7, 2010 at 5:57 pm

He’s definitely one of those memorizable characters.

• gamera138

July 26, 2010 at 8:48 pm

i live in pittsburgh, so i’ve actually just seen him chillin’ in stores and stuff. never wanted to talk to him, because i don’t want to be that guy.

• July 31, 2010 at 6:56 pm

did you know that there’s a tom savini and a godzilla cameo in friday the 13th part 3 in the same scene?!?!

• Thom diddy

August 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Tom Savini may know a lot about the Army; however comparing an M16 to the “crotch rocket” (what appears to be a high caliber weapon) makes no sense at all. The M16 may have no recoil, but making an assumption that the crotch rocket would have no recoil simply because the M16 has no recoil is laughable. Assuming that the “crotch rocket” is a high caliber weapon (which it looks like it would be if it were real) it probably would hurt your nutsack. The M16 is an assault rifle and has an entirely different structure than pistols in general. James, I feel sorry that you were told “you don’t know shit” simply because you have not served in the Army. Tom Savini was acting like an asshole to you and just because he served in the Army doesnt mean he knows everything about weapons. I mean seriously the “crotch rocket” looks like it would have some serious recoil. I know that it was just a movie prop but I wouldn’t let someone ridicule me like that when they make a stupid assumption, real or not. Be confident in yourself man! You seem like a cool dude and shouldn’t have to put up with people acting like dicks when you bring up a quetion for laughs.

• Thom diddy

August 2, 2010 at 8:05 pm

*question

• jimargh

August 16, 2010 at 6:01 pm

tom savini looks a lot nicer in the 2nd interview. he’s sort of agressive in this interview.

ps: what the hell m16s and gun nerds

• ThrashKid

September 23, 2010 at 12:42 am

You guys have got to be kidding? Tom doesnt come off as a dick in this video at all. When he tell’s James that he “doesnt know shit” its obvious that he is joking around and being playful.

• ThrashKid

September 23, 2010 at 12:43 am

Sorry to double post, but I have in fact met Tom Savini. And though I was starstruck he was in fact very humble and nice. Dude’s not a dick.

• SodamYat

November 19, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Yea, suffice it to say, Tom Savini is a douche bag. He’s such a fucker. He’s an asshole to literally everyone he meets. If he met the Dalai Lama he’d probably still act like a pompous dick.

Just ask anyone who goes to his monster make up school. He’s an asshole.

• ODST

January 31, 2011 at 1:40 pm

i think that Tom Savini is awesome, but i didnt like land of the dead that much, because i am a huge fan of the zombie genre, and seeing zombies think didnt please me in a good way

• 911ohshit

July 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm

If that was someone else and Savini said “You don’t know shit”, get an Attitude, and be a dick with them, He would’ve gotten his Teeth Broken..

Thank God James was interviewing Him, James is a Nice person, Savini is Lucky he didn’t use that Attitude with the wrong person… Savini needs Help…

• July 11, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Seems like an ass.

• BottlecapMatt

September 2, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Anyone else find it alarming that he switched out that blade directly in James’s face? You can see James is concerned for a second.

• ScottComboBreakerPilgrim

September 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

i cant believe you just meet these legends!

• LordMoe

October 10, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I don’t think Savini is an asshole in this. Maybe he’s a little intense but he’s just kidding. The “you don’t know shit” comment about the gun was a joke.

• RetroGamer

January 6, 2013 at 4:17 am

OMG !! YOU MET TOM SAVINI !!!!!!!!

• Chet

January 25, 2014 at 10:49 am

What an arrogant asshole. Savini came off as a bully and a douche bag.