Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Mike Matei / October 29th, 2008

Comments

• May 3, 2010 at 6:56 am

Why do they have to keep remaking Godzilla? It’s really pointless. Anyway, nice review James. I’m starting to really get into Godzilla now!

• A.Regular-Person

June 7, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Wow, four reboots in a row. I thought All Out Attack was going to start it back up, but a fourth reboot. Disappointing.

• August 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I recently got Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and I enjoyed it. The DNA computer is cool and the weaponry too. I figured out why Kiryu had to have the tow planes. And it’s right on the money, it was to save energy considering the Absolute Zero cannon uses 40% of it’s power to fire a instant kill weapon.

• worldruler2

August 9, 2010 at 1:25 am

I never really notice that they are reboots and only cared about the monsters and their fights.

• tygerfox

August 11, 2010 at 1:25 pm

people here in the south think Godzilla is real.

• MadGamer

August 13, 2010 at 7:19 pm

tygerfox, tygerfox, tygerfox.Ain’t that the truth.They probably belive that Zilla is real.Or giant spiders.And think that they can fly and shoot out energy blasts.(DBZ reference)Oh, and most likely think they can capture ghosts.

• despeinado samurai

November 1, 2010 at 10:59 am

i think the name kyriu it’s ok.

• Ty Hope

December 1, 2010 at 6:05 am

@1:50 he says “Gojira ga satte iku” (Godzilla is leaving)

in case you’re curious!

• crazycash

January 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Thats a lot like father like son. BUT OLD GODZILLA VS NEW GODZILLA ! IS THAT EVEN NECESSARY?

• Cinemassacrefan2

June 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm

James it’ not Kiru, it’s fucking KIRYU!

• June 23, 2011 at 5:37 am

This iteration of Mechagodzilla was clearly inspired by Evangelion. The fact that it’s not completely mechanical, but has an organic core is kind of a tell. Hell, its face even kind of looks like Unit 01.

• June 23, 2011 at 5:40 am

The limited power thing and the fact that it has a human pilot too. I forgot about that stuff.

• BobJohnson

June 27, 2011 at 10:15 am

Sorry ladies, Godzilla sucks dick.

• Akatskimilan

August 23, 2011 at 9:39 am

I’ve been trying to get the actual meaning of kiryu for a while. The “ryu” part is obvious enough, but its the “ki” that throws me off. The best thing I could come up with is 気竜. Even then, that’s a fucking stretch. The Japanese language is plagued by fucking homonyms.

As for the titles, I think the English translation of the names were done as they are to prevent this from becoming one of James’s “Chronologically Confused” segments. There were three movies that were just called Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (sometimes using the kanji “tai”, sometimes using the abbreviation vs, and in this case just using an X but they’re all supposed to be read as “tai.” How the hell “vs” is read as “tai” is beyond me).

Another reason for the multiple titles is that Godzilla movies are a licensing NIGHTMARE. Sure, here in Japan they all belong to Toho so its super easy but in other countries they’re licensed on a movie by movie basis. This is where “Gigantis the Fire Monster” got stuck with its title. So, when you have to name a movie WITH THE SAME TITLE as a previous one not only do you run into “Chronologically Confused” problems, but you run into licensing problems as well. When I left the states a few years back, I remember Sony had most of the later movies, Universal had vs. King Kong, and some smaller company was getting the rights to the older ones and FINALLY releasing uncut ones (starting from the first movie).

• nammm3

October 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm

This mechagodzilla looked great, too bad it wasn’t in a great movie :-/