Gremlins (1984) & Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)

Mike Matei / September 16th, 2008

Comments

• A.Regular-Person

April 12, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Does anyone know a good movie when they see one. I admit the second was kinda stupid, but hilarious. The first tome i saw Gremlins was when i was 9 and it scared the hell out of me, but i finally figured out santa didn’t exist at 8 anyway, didn’t cry. The ending of the first movie made me check under my bed for the next 3 months. And when i heard there was a second one i went back looking under my bed again until i saw it.

When i saw it, i thought, “I check under my bed for those things.” i was actucally expecting it to be scarier.

Now, i think it would’ve been awesome to see the Gremlins spread through New York causing rampage, or another Gizzmo. I wonder why they didn’t do that, if it was because of the angry parents i would’ve though F***k that, i’m making it scarier, and if it was because of budget, i would’ve waited.

Gremlins was one the scariest movies i have ever seen, and Gremlins 2 is one of the silliest movies i have ever seen.

Nice review James, I would give Gremlins a 5 on the scare factor, for my age then, but 4 on a movie by itself. 5 for Gremlins 2 on the silly factor, but 2 for a movie by itself.

• Deadpool2010

April 25, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I love both of these movies and I few them both as really funny classics.

• Shikster

April 27, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I actually got to meet Chuck Jones in 1989 at clown college. He compared me to Wile E Coyote. These 2 movies are my top 100 movies list. I actually do not have a top 100 list………but if I did ….they would be on it.

• bloodlockscc

May 6, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I remember my mother freaked out during the movie theater scene. We were IN a theater when they ripped through the screen and she thought it was real. Epic 80s flick, the sequel… not so Epic but fun.

• July 14, 2010 at 7:12 am

I reamber watching Gremlins 1 and 2 when i was 8,they both kickd ass
    Also,great review

• EmTheSmasher

July 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I saw these movies when I was little. They were the most scary, freaky, and most bad ass thing in existence at the time for me, and I had nightmares for about a year, until I found out they were animatronics. Despite the nightmares, I have fond memories of these movies. The ending of the review made me bounce ( I was sitting on a bouncy ball :) ) and I hit my head on the roof. Thank god nobody was in the room with me.

• Studler

July 22, 2010 at 7:13 pm

“And then there’s this girl Kate, played by Phoebe Cates. She’s hot as shit.”
    Agreed.

• Fantasy Forest

July 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm

When the Gremlin flies out of the building creating the Batman symbol…one of the scientists they show is Christopher Lee. I didn’t realize he was even in this movie! Although, I haven’t seen it since I was 12 and I’m 31 now. :P

• The ACDC dude

August 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Family moive huh…..BULLCRAP!!!!!!!!!! Parents were running for the bathroom to puke!

• drdoom101

September 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm

do you think they are going to make a gremlins 3 soon

• WatchmenFTW

September 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Great review, and yeah, the Mogwai is probably the the cutest creature ever created. All the different Gremlins looked cool in Gremlins 2, especially the Spider Gremlin and the Vegetable Gremlin was just random.

• OrsonTheMorso

September 6, 2010 at 7:03 am

The music is just awesome.

• alex21

September 6, 2010 at 9:59 am

Those 2 movies combine the horror and the comedy ..for me who I’am from Greece is weird, but I found that very funny.Also inthe second movie plays the Christopher Lee.Don’t forget that guys

• Coconut_Man

September 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Phoebe Cats IS hot as shit!!

• September 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I saw this movie when it came out in summer of 1985 (I wasn’t quite 5 years old yet). The first part of the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed, then suddenly we hit the scene where Gizmo gets wet. To a 4-year-old, that loud screaming and the bubbling fur on a big screen is horrifying!

I also remember being absolutely horrified of the monsters when they first appeared. I was finally calm again by the end of the movie, watching Stripe melt away…

Ironically, when it came out on VHS a year later (Yes, it took a WHOLE YEAR before you could take it home back then), it not only didn’t scare me, it became my favorite childhood movie.

• lelle

October 5, 2010 at 9:29 am

in sweden u have to by 18 to watch this film!! WTF!!

• kawamura2

October 18, 2010 at 3:35 am

I saw these movies when they came out. I see a pattern with myself and these scary 80s films for kids. Everyone else seems to have been terrified by Gremlins when they were children. What does it say about me that Stripe, the head scary gremlin, fascinated me instead of scared me? I mean, yes, he was creepy, but I loved being scared as a kid, and I thought he was a bit scary, but funny and silly at the same time. I was usually fascinated by what would have scared most children, but then again, when i was little, i did sleep with a light on, so maybe they did have an effect lol.

• gattz

December 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm

The Gremlins theme kicks ass.

• Mina

December 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Uaaah Gremlins. Well, today I really love those movies, but when I was younger…. I was about 7 or 8 years old when I saw it for the first time. I was SO fuckin scared and couldn’t go anywhere without checking everything for those monsters. But I always loved Gizzmo and had a ..ugh.. Kuscheltier.. puppy(?) of him.
    Back then, there was this theme park, Warner Bros somewhat. And there were those 4D cinemas. Well, at least I thought it was just a regular 4D movie as they always were there… my parents told me nothing… but nooo… there was Alf on the screen and then all of a sudden Gremlins jumped out of everywhere and killed Alf and the whole cinema was full of fog and everyone was shouting we had to go out of that cinema really quick… I was SO frightened and screaming and crying and everything. And then when we all went out through those emergency exits, there hang gremlins on the roof and WAAAH… that was SO bad! I really couldn’t stop crying because I totally thought I was going to die!
    Parents are pure EVIL !!!
    You can’t do that to a little kiddo!

• mcnerven

January 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm

These movies scared the shit out of me as a kid, even though I was perfectly fine with Night of the Living Dead as a toddler. Go figure.

Also, I love the ratings you use James. “4 1/2 Gremlin shakes” cracks me up.

• February 9, 2011 at 1:46 pm

both films are fucking awsome :D but the 2nd film gets to much shit :(

• chrisRAWRZ

March 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm

lol 3 and a half chocolate mooses like your comics. I love the movie gremlins 1 and 2.

• Jakethesnake99

April 29, 2011 at 7:47 pm

this movie would always make me scared when I was a little kid

• July 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Jesus Christ you scared the living shit out of me at the end!

• Gokus Death Note 3

July 19, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I think i just pishitred my pant at the end and almost woke up my neighbors. and yes i combined words

• Steinheide

September 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm

When I saw the ending of this review the first time it SCARED THE FUCK OUT OF ME! !!!!

• Firewall_Philip_Hanan

October 13, 2011 at 8:51 pm

The first toy I ever won out of a crane machine was a plush Abraham Lincoln. True story.

• Entropy3ko

October 21, 2011 at 11:42 am

I LOVED Gremlins!!! It was fun and yes (at that age at least) scary too!

Also I really think that if it came out now and the Gremlins would be CGI… it would SUCK ASS.

The gremlins puppets are so wel done and it would be a shame if they were just a bunch of pixels… and they would not ‘look right’ either… they’d lose a lot of ther charm (… well charm… you know what I mean!).

I did hate Gremlins 2 first time around… perhaps I was expecting something more serious… After re-watching it however I came to appreciate it for the ludicrous autosatire that it is.

• fuzzyfox

January 18, 2012 at 12:39 am

Oh man, got me good at the end there, lol.

I have never seen the second movie; but now i have to. It looks like a really fun watch.

• Shadowtheman

February 12, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I looked up if there making a 3 and found this fun commercial. Gremlins support the I.T. business.

• Dowash

March 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I had the absolute joy of watching this with my girlfriend of the time and her 9 year old daughter. Watching the sheer terror on the poor girls face as the Gremlins hatched from the egg sacks made me laugh so hard! We had to turn it off before the poor child was traumatized for life!
    And Gremlins 2! What do you need to say about this film other than CLASSIC!  Am i odd for thinking that the female Gremlin is a lot like Smurfette?
    Eww and flashbacks to the text based Gremlins game on the Commodore 64. “Turn on blender”

• HorazStCruz

March 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Gremlins were so GREAT!!!
    An instant-classic bizarre-for-the-mainstream-chunk-movies!!!

And the fucking Critters. Oh GOD.

• gamingkaiju1954

July 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm

the gremlin at the end made me jump XD

• rigger red

October 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

If youre ps 3 is acting out, or your nes graphics are fucked up, or your new copy of elder scrolls skyrim freezes during a battle with Alduin on your xbox 360. Watch out there might be a glitch gremlin in your game consols

• nintendude162

October 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Q: Is it a comedy, horror, or a live action cartoon?
    A: Yes

• Katnip Packington

January 17, 2013 at 12:24 am

THE ENDING SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!

• July 11, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Why do people hate sequels? It’s just another movie.

• July 28, 2013 at 4:49 am

holy shit the ending sacred the hell out of me

• mafutofu

October 21, 2013 at 7:46 am

i always thought the gremlins are crap movies but now i watched them and they are fantastic to me!
    they are funny and fresh (althought they are old)

• Hampus stenborg

December 19, 2013 at 12:25 pm

someone should make a third Gremlins movie

• LeyLey

December 20, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I would love that, but, I have to disagree.
      No one makes movies now like they used to, it would end up being a disappointment.

• LeyLey

December 20, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Gremlins.
    My most feared/favorite of all the movies I’ve ever seen.
    I’m glad that movie was made the way that it was. There’s not many adults who can appreciate a really REALLY good scare in a movie like a child can. We had no sense of reality and falsity when I was young and saw it in the 80s.

That being said, I was horrified of the Gremlins, but, also fascinated at the same time, it was a new mixture of feelings.
    There won’t be another movie like it, as far as I’m concerned.
    Although, the first time that I saw the 1980s “The Thing” movie, I had almost the same feeling.

PS: Phoebe Cates is -still- smokin’ hot, even at her current age.

• December 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm

here in germany this movie has a 16 years-rating. it´s to gory for children! :-)

• skwij

December 28, 2013 at 10:50 am

I saw the first one on HBO when I was about seven. It was mindblowing. Thanks for the video!

• December 30, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Personally I love gremlins 2 more, there are so many great characters in that movie that I can even count. And speaking of characters, how the fuck did you not talk about the dracula guy!? He’s one of the best!!