Bat-a-thon Part 1

Mike Matei / July 19th, 2008

Comments

• April 10, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I know you haven’t reviewed the 90s Batman animated series, but I know it’s something worth talking about!

Looking back on it, the show is one of the best of the decade that works for both young and old. It was so successful, it spawned three animated movies including Mask of the Phantasm, Mystery of the Batwoman, and Mr. Freeze: Subzero.

Later on, another animated series was made called Batman Beyond with Kevin Conroy once again voicing Bruce Wayne but a lot older who mentors a newer younger Batman. It has its own movie called Return of the Joker featuring Mark Hamill as the Joker.

In the 2000s, we have The Batman which I haven’t seen, but I’m sure they were attempting a much younger version of The Dark Knight! Now we have a current Batman animated series called Batman: The Brave and the Bold for the Cartoon Network. But I’m sure none would disagree that there’s only one Batman animated series and that’s the 90s original that remains as timeless as ever!

• April 12, 2010 at 4:01 am

When Adam West were Batman in the first series i laugh!
    It does`nt look like its a show, its just to funny 8D!!

• rochapt

April 16, 2010 at 3:18 pm

i like bacon O_o

• killteck

April 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm

“I give it 3 Robin crotches.” The old bat-mobile was cool, the show….was not.

• casca

May 4, 2010 at 7:28 am

It’s ok to like the darker side of Batman and the cheesy camp show of the 60’s. It’s no different than liking violent 80’s action movies and still liking movies like Hot Shots: Part Deux. Parody of classic themes makes great comedy.

• Hungrywolf

June 10, 2010 at 3:41 am

Actually, a neat fact about the 60s Batman show is that there are no voices singing Batman in the theme song. It’s actually just trumpets.

• crono04

June 22, 2010 at 11:54 pm

CarryFan-Agreed, Batman TAS was one of the best things I’ve seen with Batman in the title. I recently got the whole series and even though I remembered it as great, its even better than I remember. As a kid, it was just a cool show, but now I appreciate things like the score, the visual techniques and the performances of the actors. I never liked The Mad Hatter until I was old enough to appreciate Roddy McDowell’s amazing voice work. I wish they had perfected The Scarecrow before the last season, though. He was always one of my favorites. right behind The Joker.

I’ve seen a few episodes of the new series and they’re okay but no TAS. Not even Batman Beyond, really. Brave and Bold is kind of more golden age, but its alright. The Batman is watchable, but some of the re-imagined characters don’t sit well, especially the Riddler. Its like they tried to recreate TAS’ success in remaking Mr. Freeze into something new with everyone and from what I’ve seen, it mostly doesn’t work. Plus, Harley is no longer voiced by Arleen Sorkin, which almost makes her pointless. The character was literally made for her.

• keeman4454

July 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm

i like the new bat-man movies, christian bale does a good job, and heith ledger was an amazing joker. he made the role so beliveable

• kazimir101

July 20, 2010 at 4:42 am

WOW!!! i was watching this video, then I went to the itchen to get some coffee, while i did that i was singing we are the champions from queen. So i went to the computer turned the video on and it went like this:

Me: ….Time after time, ive done my sentence but commited nohoo crime

and James and Me: BAD!! Me: mistakes i made a few…..

I was shocked!! quite cool huh?

• TheAceofSpadez

July 20, 2010 at 9:56 am

trust me CareyFan The Batman was great i dont think they were going for only children but now the Brave in The Bold yeah its horrible and is mostly for kids

• The ACDC dude

August 23, 2010 at 7:45 pm

The best batman is all the way is the campy tv show it was sweet.The new ones suck but wait don’t come looking for me to kill me I havent seen the dark knight.So I dont know about it and batman was good to.

• Macabre215

September 4, 2010 at 12:46 am

Yeah the animated series is well worth talking about. There’s a reason why Batman: Arkham Asylum used Paul Dini as the writer, and got all the original voice actors from the series for the game. Mark Hamil does the best Joker voice, and when anyone hears Kevin Conroy they think of Batman now.

• venom 51007

September 4, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Yeah i agree mark hammal is the best joker i was watching arkham files joker and the voice director said that u could video tape him in the role of the joker from the adventure series i give mark hammal five joker mohawks ( the look is actually from the video game batman arkham asylum at the end where u fight titan powered joker.)

• February 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm

If you ever wanna play a good batman game Batman Arkem Asylem is awsome, the guy runs like adem west on the old bat series i went through most the game just going “nununununnunununu baaatmaaan POW”. Loved the old series when i was a kid, i remember thinking his car was so brilliant!
    Doesnt seem like he gets into half as many traps for him to pull something random from his utility belt.
    I cant believe the riddler’s micky from rocky lol thats excalent!

• February 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

….wait no he wasnt lol n/m forget it.

• February 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

…me again Micky was batman vilian the penguin. 😛

• Fraggie

March 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Thank you for this quick walkthrough!

• chrisRAWRZ

March 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm

i remember the old batman series but i was growing up with the batman the animated series and to me batman is not a joke its serious. batman movies should be dark but heroic and the Tim Burton film and the batman begins and dark knight movie did a good job of it.

• Gokus Death Note 3

July 19, 2011 at 7:50 pm

dude u can watch reruns of the original Batman on this chanle called the Hub. downside is that its always on late @ night and early in the damn morning.

• Seimann

August 14, 2011 at 10:50 am

This vid doesnt work.. wtf

• Entropy3ko

October 21, 2011 at 5:42 am

I just love the old ’60s Batman series. Sure I prefer the serious, dark, troubled Batman as well, but the ‘campy Batman’ has really a special charm and I find it incredibly entertaining.

———–

They should make a campy Batman game! I’d play that! 😛

• rigby127

October 21, 2011 at 6:30 am

I have found the 60’s Batman series on YouTube…. just saying

• DonSkiver

December 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm

It’s a shame you haven’t covered the animate series because in my opinion, the animated series is phenomenal. It’s just as good as any of the live action films (and in the case of a batman forever and batman & robin, better than the live action films) and the rogues gallery in the animated series is awesome! Harley Quinn, a villain made exclusively for the animated series, was liked SO much by DC, they made her a canonical villain in the comics.

Please, some day, cover Batman: The Animated Series! (though, you can probably skip, or just skim briefly over Batman Beyond, I didn’t care for that cartoon)

• RowanJColeman

January 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

@DonSkiver Nostalgia Critic made a top 11 best animated batman episodes. Check it out.

• HorazStCruz

March 18, 2012 at 6:25 pm

The rating system is just GREAT.

• June 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm

At 23 years old, Lewis Wilson (the father of future James Bond producer Michael G. Wilson) is the youngest actor to play the adult Bruce Wayne / Batman on screen, which he did in Batman (1943).

• bruce wayne

October 9, 2013 at 4:22 am

I’m batfan

• skwij

January 22, 2014 at 8:42 am

This is awesome! Thanks

• February 13, 2014 at 7:00 am

the one thing i’ve always hated about Batman.. was that Bob Kane has always taken sole credit for creating him.. but Bill Ginger is just as much the creator of Batman as Kane was. it’s like how Stan Lee has taken sole credit for Spider-man, the Fantastic Four and the X-men.. when in fact Jack Kirby was co-creator of those comics actually at one point Jack Kirby stated he created Spider-man and showed the idea for his character to Stan Lee when he went to work at Marvel comics..

• gluserty

January 11, 2015 at 5:40 am

I guess I like Batman the best because he is human and doesn’t have any superpowers. Also, I like the crusade he’s on and understand it enough. Strangely enough, I see similarities between Batman and the Dexter Morgan character of “Dexter” (likely my favorite TV series of all time) in that their daily identity is a cover for their real identity, and they perform acts of their true identity at night (Dexter even had a webisode series titled, “The Dark Defender”).

• MonkeeJuice

June 25, 2016 at 12:20 pm

This video is a little dated because the Batman TV series had since been released on DVD.