Rocky Jumped A Park Bench

Mike Matei / April 20th, 2008

Documentary on the Philadelphia filming locations used in the Rocky films. Premiered at the Philadelphia Film Festival. You can see some footage here of the original screening.

Comments

• saltyfrank

April 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Brilliantly done. I really enjoyed this little feature. I’m curious what it’s reception was like at the festival.
    Your Rocky reviews are my favorite. Like you, I have a special bond with these films and still watch them over and over again.
    I go to Philly a lot because I have a friend there and I live in NYC now, and it’s only $20 round trip on the Chinatown bus. I’ve never gone to the Rocky locations though. (although I went to the art museum when I was a kid for a school field trip to DC)
    Now, you’ve inspired me to make a trip out there and scour some of these locations. Thanks Nerd!

• ShirleeDOrona

January 2, 2014 at 7:12 am

my co-worker’s step-sister made $13234 the previous week. she gets paid on the laptop and moved in a $557000 condo. All she did was get blessed and apply the guide leaked on this web site… http://cpl.pw/OKeIJo

• Bobbybeatle

April 22, 2010 at 6:07 am

So awesome. I replayed so many parts so many times. Berry cool stuff.

• shanazzykiller

May 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm

this is the best location commentary mix type thing that i have ever seen, i actually like this one better than follow that marshmallow

• Xaviervonrottie

May 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Bravo James! This was one of the best Rocky Docs I have ever seen. One of these days I’m sure I will see you the academy awards receiving the award for best director. When this days comes I will always remember watching your game reviews over these years and truly wonderful fan videos such as this one.

• nate412

May 5, 2010 at 11:22 am

simply amazing

• May 21, 2010 at 4:32 am

I know you’re already booked to the teeth already with other projects, but are you still planning on releasing this as a higher quality single video?

I remember that you were talking about it after you had finished editing it and posting it to YouTube, but then there was no mention of it again…

• TurtleTitan

May 31, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Fantastic film James! I’m a HUGE Rocky fan and I can only wish to one day see those sites. Great work!

• Lesley M.

July 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm

This was freaking amazing! The end was so…cathartic! I did however noticed that you used one of your worst movie clichés. The whole stopping of the music for a joke thing. You even used the record scratch noise! hahaha. Good stuff!

• metal0737

September 29, 2010 at 10:54 am

RADICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lotus

November 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm

cant believe i havnt seen this glad it was featured on the main page!! amazing work.

• November 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Nice documentary! I saw your other film documentaries but this one was really descriptive and showed a lot of film locations. Must be because the movies were almost entirely shot in Philly and most of the locations still stand. Really enjoyed this documentary though, makes me want to see who has the better cheesesteak and ‘Rocky’ on the art steps lol

• November 22, 2010 at 5:14 am

thank you so much mr.james for the Honoring this film.we will remamber it

• November 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Rocky is my favourite film series of all time and the only Boom that can be found is in tis posting http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/index.php?ref=65348

• Alphapix

November 22, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I actually applauded at my computer screen.

• Fuck RomEmKing

February 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm

@RomEmKing; I hope you choke.

• Actraiser

June 6, 2011 at 1:47 am

this is my fav piece of your work I enjoy this the most. You really put a lot into this and it has inspired me to scout locations here in Canada< maybe ill send you a vid.

• CescVicious

August 1, 2011 at 2:38 am

This is an awesome documentary, i enjoyed watching it :)

• August 1, 2011 at 3:19 am

Wow, that`s just amazing, really that video is something i really wanted to do, following Rocky steps… but U.S. is hell far away from my home.

• Bluesy

August 1, 2011 at 5:56 am

This really was a nice one. Great job

• August 1, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Some Northeast Philly residents don’t consider Kensington part of the Northeast. However Stallone was originally from the Frankford neighborhood. Which IS in Northeast Philly.

• August 1, 2011 at 10:11 pm

i’m in philadelphia for vacation and i run on the stairs and make a lot of picture, it’s awesome.

• EXPLODA!

September 12, 2011 at 3:55 pm

This is really neat, I’ve always wondered where some of the precise locations were. A few aren’t too far from my sister’s house.

• EXPLODA!

September 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Yeah Geno’s is run by assholes anyway

• MichaelLindberg

September 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Excellent Location Tour! Rocky has been a part of my life since childhood, and seeing all the locations of the film you showed was something I would love to see in person. Thanks for making this film James!!! : )

• Otacon26

September 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm

It must be realy awesome walking in Rocky´s steps, seeing this memorable locations. I hope that once i get there. Thanks for Location Tour, James.

• the3game

October 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Awesome, just awesome!

• EddieGearSolid

December 20, 2011 at 3:36 am

that was great. excellent work mr rolfe

• theymademedoit

May 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

Just makes me want to travel to Philly to “Pull a Rocky” and grab a Cheese steak. One day….

• DMM_poo

January 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

This and the Ghostbusters documentary are two of my favorite films James has created.

• MAMEFan

January 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm

This might be my favorite video of yours.

Apollo Creed vs. the Italian Stallion. Sounds like a damn monster movie.

• January 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Excelent Video James!
    One of the things I want to do before I die, is to go to Philadelphia to do exactly what you show about the places for the movies of Rocky!
    Hi from Mexico’s City

• January 4, 2013 at 7:12 am

Thank you so much for this film James! I’m a HUGE Rocky fan! I’ve always wanted to take this “tour” and find all of the filming locations. I still may, now that I know where they are, thanks to you :) This is AWESOME!!! I can’t wait to show this to my kids!

• GiovanniRomano

January 5, 2013 at 9:31 am

Something you guys may enjoy here: The very same vendor tha tossed Rocky some fruit was also the same vendor my granpa knew for 30 years! I know I had asked and wondered where James lives, but that is too private of a matter. Why I ask that is because I wonder how well he knows South Philly and such. My granparents grew up on the Italian Market and near St Monicas church on Colarado Street. They just passed on last year, so I always will remember South Philly because of them.

• GiovanniRomano

January 5, 2013 at 9:50 am

Also for all those who are not familiar with Philadelphia, it is truly such a duel city. In the sense that you can a lot of the urban plight, and yet Philly is one of the best craft beer places on the east, going green, art, music and etc.

When I was living with my grandparents before I came to Collingswood, NJ( which is across the bridge from Philly), I would walk from Broad and Ritner to the Italian Market and Center City and back! I have seen many of these locations and I do enjoy this video so thanks James!

• Paul Jones

January 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm

As a Philadelphian, I have to say this was a great documentary on the Rocky Saga locations. I wish I could have seen it in person at the Philadelphia Film Festival!

• bongbadabongbadabong

January 8, 2013 at 11:59 pm

This actually makes me want to visit Philadelphia, good movie and excellent tribute! Hail the Nerd!!

• David Williamson

January 24, 2013 at 2:29 am

Awesome! The research and exploration was extensive and well portrayed. :) Great Job. Thanks

• January 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thank you very much for this video. It really got to me, Orestis from Greece.

• Joshuah Hapeman

January 29, 2013 at 3:25 pm

love the puff daddy intro

• Crabs4Sale

February 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm

That was incredible, James! I started it intending to only watch a few minutes because I had never seen any Rocky film before, but I ended up watching all of it. You are truly captivating to listen to and an excellent motivator! Keep up the amazing work, James.

• September 18, 2013 at 7:41 pm

i live thar

• September 18, 2013 at 7:42 pm

:I

• September 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm

rocky
    dead

• Doug Hardy

October 8, 2013 at 8:32 am

Saw this on Yahoo! Finally answered the question? A couple years behind The Nerd Yahoo! http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/far-did-rocky-balboa-really-run-160600394.html

• bleed0range

November 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I just rewatched this for the first time since you put this up way back in I guess 2008 James! It’s incredible. One of the best videos/docs you have ever done. It really moves me and captures the spirit of the films.

Plus it brings back memories as I was an extra in Rocky Balboa when they filmed back in 05 I think it was. I can tell how much love you have for these movies!

• January 1, 2014 at 2:54 pm

my co-worker’s mother-in-law makes $77 hourly on the computer. She has been laid off for nine months but last month her paycheck was $14144 just working on the computer for a few hours. Check This Out… http://cpl.pw/OKeIJo

• Attilio Dente

January 2, 2014 at 11:44 am

Great job James… very well done!

• TheElectricVolt

January 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Great documentary! Never knew you’d entered it in a film festival, I’ll have to check out the video of the original screening. Good work, James, very well executed.

• Alan Thong

January 9, 2014 at 10:49 pm

yo dude you were in my city only if we were from the same neck of the woods we would be the nerd duo and BGF (BestGamingFriendsForLife) lol but keep up your good work it you’re definitely one of the top inspiring people list i want to meet never give up the shitt you do

• Don Skiver

January 11, 2014 at 11:40 pm

I can’t believe I never saw this when you first posted it! Wtf was I doing to have missed this?!

This is probably one of your best documentary style films ever. I’m a HUGE “Rocky” fan and seeing all the locations was just awesome. I think one of these days I’ll finally make it out to Philly just so I can see these places in person.

• January 25, 2014 at 7:03 am

Man I never really thought about how I lived right next to the bar, gym and pet shop! It was such a terrible neighborhood at the time and I haven’t seen the Rocky’s since I was little. Still glad I moved though, that’s for sure!

• Chet

January 28, 2014 at 12:18 pm

This was great. It’s incredible how you found all of those locations that were in the movies. I’m very impressed, and now have a great enthusiasm to visit these locations. Job well done Nerd. Thank you

• February 12, 2014 at 11:01 pm

This was fun to watch. I’ve never seen the Rocky films but now I’m slightly interested.

• CorpaJ

April 9, 2014 at 11:12 pm

This is the best Rocky documentary I have ever seen! It’s late, I gotta work tomorrow, schoolbus for the kids comes very early, and there goes the DVD on the player…. again! If I don’t wake up, it’s on you, Nerd!