Rocky Balboa (2006)

Mike / April 15th, 2008

Comments

• officialjab

May 3, 2011 at 2:22 am

Had no idea before seeing this, and the other latest Stallone movies, that he was still such a tough guy at his age.

• derrick554

September 10, 2011 at 9:59 pm

This review had my blood pumping, i think I’ll seriously have to watch these all in order.

• Firewall_Philip_Hanan

October 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Whoa! He actually took all those hits? That was like a real fight, then! More so than WWE matches anyway.

• deepcello

February 16, 2012 at 1:14 am

theres gonna be a 7th rocky movie

• Dowash

March 6, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Until I saw the Pixar classic “UP” I didn’t really get the sense of loss that was being portrayed at the start of this film. A few years and extra life experiences helped me understand this a film a whole lot better.

It’s a good boxing film, and fits perfectly into the whole series of films as a whole. 4 boxing gloves out of 5.

• maliktmiller145

March 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm

ilove how stallone was so devoted to this film. whether he wanted to make up for rockky 5 or just to make a comeback, hes done a great job.

• HorazStCruz

March 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Shouldn’t it be considered some kind of spin-off of some sorts since it ignores RV ? I didn’t wqatch it, but i’ll definitely give it a shot! Great review.

• March 5, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Well it doesn’t totally ignore the last one. He and his son in part five had a catchphrase for their relationship, “Home Team”, that’s used once in this one. That is really the only connection I noticed, but it’s a nice one.

• December 13, 2012 at 1:43 am

Funny you make that complaint/observation about there not being a new Survivor song despite their return in ’06 as well. According to imdb trivia (regarding scenes that were cut or trimmed): “Two training sequences: one of Rocky doing weight training as well as Mason Dixon doing his training to the tune of Survivor’s “Fire Makes Steel” [from 2006 album] and afterward was a Rocky-only training sequence scored with “Gonna Fly Now”. These two sequences were squished together for the final print.”

• Kaygeebee

May 24, 2014 at 3:38 pm

They do mention his brain damage but conclude that it isn’t as bad as doctors thought it was in the 80’s.

I think this movie is wonderful but it only really functions if you’re familiar with the previous Rocky movies, especially the first one. I banked a little too much on nostalgia. But if you’re familiar with the previous five (or four) movies then it really works.

It has a lot of really funny moments (Paulie picked Frank Sinatra as the song to play as Rocky walked into the arena and Rocky wasn’t told before. That face: priceless) and it made me realize why I like Rocky’s character so much:
    He’s just who he is. There’s nothing fake about him, he says what he means and means what he says. He’s the last guy that would try to trick or lie to you pretending to be someone else. He does spout a lot of sage wisdom but he’s being completely honest about it. He’s simple but also very relatable.

And those scenes where he remembers when he met Adrian… it was hard not to get a little teary eyed.

• December 7, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Why can’t I watch the review!? It keeps crashing every time @ the “the 80’s” part

• Satnav

December 10, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Yeah, this video is suddenly messed up, it sort of freezes at 0:19.

• dagjo

August 3, 2015 at 7:15 am

Still freezing :/

• Satnav

October 2, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Gah, it’s worse now. Can someone fix it? Minor video I know, but I kinda want to complete James’ Rocky review series… :/

• Satnav

December 16, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Oh, phew, it’s fixed. Thanks!