Hammer Films (late 50’s to early 70’s) History of Horror

Mike Matei / October 12th, 2007

Comments

• April 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I don’t know if you’ve been reading my Twitter blog, but I became a Hammer nut since I started reviewing their movies last October. I’m wrapping it up at this moment but it’s been a unique journey into the studio’s history.

My favorites so far included all seven of Christopher Lee’s Dracula films and all of Cushing’s Frankenstein films.

With Hammer releasing a new movie coming out featuring Lee, I’m hoping they’ll start releasing all their classics onto Blu-Ray, or just putting them back in all retail stores. Either way, the public must see them!

• bacondude1985

April 21, 2010 at 5:25 am

hahahahahahahahaahahaha @ carreyfan. Why would James read some random creepy person’s twitter blog?? lol I find this person fascinating. What a fucking creep! lol

• Stant666

April 27, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Maybe he’s just a comitted fan and interested in these videos?.. Can’t see any problem in leaving comments.. Thats why the option is there..

• alex1288

April 30, 2010 at 2:02 am

thank you for opening my mind to so many movies, and I love horror, there really isn’t a lot of good horror films out there today , can’t wait to get my hands on them. =)

• Johnthegamenerd

May 23, 2010 at 2:40 am

Maybe Carreyfan is his stalker,which means James has truly become famous.

• Murtada

June 11, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Amazing!
    How can you afford to watch all these movies!?

• JoeShmoe

June 15, 2010 at 4:16 am

Why is it that everyone feels a need to twitter blog? 99% of ppl doing it dont have evrything intresting say. so i stay away from it,

• IDaCashman

July 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm

The Monster Man (as I call Cinemassacre in these Monster Madness’)
    “And The Satanic Rights of Dracula.”

Ca$hman:
    “Not to mention Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, featuring not only Dracula, but seven other vampires, Van Helsing, and Six Kung Fu Dudes!!!”

• nickNESnerd

August 11, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I think the hammer versions are ok but there is no doubt that the best ones where made by universal

• WatchmenFTW

August 15, 2010 at 5:04 am

I think the Universal films are better, but my dad loves Hammer horror movies. As a teenager, when he babysat for people, he’d stay up watching Hammer movies (but not the Dracula or Frankenstein ones), more the stand-alone episodes.

• WatchmenFTW

September 3, 2010 at 6:50 am

I also wish you’d talked mor about the Hammer Mummy series oo.

• slagmire

September 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I would have loved to know a little more about the Quartermass series Hammer studios did myself – I’ve only caught a portion of the first one of the series and thought it was pretty cool all things considered.

• murphy2112

September 13, 2010 at 1:06 am

I’ve seen some of the Dracula movies and the first Frankenstein movie, but my favourite Hammer movie has to be Hound of the Baskervilles with Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes. It was an awesome movie, but it didn’t make any money because there were no real monsters in it, so a planned series was scrapped. It’s a shame, because I would have loved to have seen more of Peter Cushing as The Great Detective.

• Kaizersozak84

September 13, 2010 at 9:54 am

I never realised that modern movies owe so much to the old classics. Awesome!

• TMO007

October 20, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Damn, Dracula got all fucked up.

• Xsane

October 22, 2010 at 1:19 am

I hate that Every M-M review has a Damn Commercial at the Beginning. If fact, Every Video that Shows up here has an Ad that runs before it.
    I unserstand that James here needs to get paid some How for his efforts, and that its necassary to have some forms of Commercialisim – -But couldn’t there be a Better way of Showing these Ads Lesser times then Every Time ???

Great Vids though, Love the Monster Madness!! I dont think Anyone does Old Horror as Much Justice as well al AVGN !!

• venom 51007

November 23, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Hey james you should read some of darren shans books there called CIRQUE DU FREAK and THE DEMONATA both about vampires and demons trust me you’ll love them.

• penpan

August 23, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Love the Christopher Lee…love him!

• SpeedyEric

September 23, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I love how Mr. George Lucas use parts of these films in Star Wars.

• Hypoxic

October 2, 2011 at 6:37 am

Hammer kicks major fucking arse.

• Coffin Joe

October 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Dracula’s a Pimp.

• Arneystein

October 17, 2011 at 4:11 am

Monster in the final Frankenstein film, the monster looks like the monster in the icy cave in Empire Srikes Back.

• MECHAGARY

February 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Just a bit of trivia here. Peter Grant, Led Zepplins’ manager worked for Hammer as a young man.

• RandyPan

May 26, 2013 at 1:25 am

Something something something Dark Side! Something something something Complete!

• October 2, 2013 at 7:37 pm